Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,446 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child (10711 Views)

Is Adopting A Child Bad? / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / What Are The Procedures, Advantages And Disadvantages Of Marriage Registration (2) (3) (4)

What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by Abali1(m): 6:44am On Apr 14, 2012
Please I will like to know the steps taken,when a couple wishes to adopt a child/(twins).
The couples are Nigerians based in Lagos, but wishes to adopt a child from Abia state.
(Please they want to follow all legal procedures).
I need your responses please.
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by Abali1(m): 10:19am On Apr 14, 2012
Abeg make una comment now. Someone really needs your help
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by Abali1(m): 7:08pm On Apr 14, 2012
36 views not a single response. Nairalanders where are you when someone really need you?
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by dasparrow: 5:46am On Apr 15, 2012
Abali1: 36 views not a single response. Nairalanders where are you when someone really need you?

The reason you are not getting any responses is because when it comes to child adoption, most Nigerians sadly still have a negative perception about it. If it was a marital question you asked now, nairalanders will jump on it like vultures that have just discovered a carcass. Anyways, back to your question.

Honestly, I wish I knew. I don't know exactly how the baby adoption process in Nigeria works. Why don't you advice the couple to start by looking for a list of orphanages in Abia State? Let me make it a little easier for you Abali, I just did a google search of orphanages in Abia State and I was able to find these three:

NGWA ROAD MOTHERLESS BABIES HOME
79A Ngwa Rd Aba, Abia State Nigeria
PHONE: +234-803-096-2501
+234-803-660-3623
+234-803-323-8806
EMAIL: info@ngwaroadorphanage.org or ngwaroadorphanage@yahoo.com
WEB: www.ngwaroadorphanage.org

CHIM'S MOTHERLESS AND DESTITUTE CENTRE in Aba, Abia State. (COULD NOT FIND AN ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBER FOR THEM).

AGAPE ORPHANAGE HOME
BOX 131, IPUPE – UBAKALA,
UMUAHIA SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, ABIA STATE.
NIGERIA, WEST AFRICA.
TEL: +234 703 052 2369
+234 805 331 8851
+234 (0) 808 418 0265
EMAIL: info@agapeorphanage.com
agapeorphanage@yahoo.com

I wish the couple all the best!

Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by ifyalways(f): 7:37am On Apr 15, 2012
^nigerians are adopting please.the fact that its not yet a norm or publicly announced does not mean we aint into adopting.

OP, you aint getting any response because :
This topic has been over flogged to death here. A simple search and I'm sure you'd come up with more than 7 like threads.

The mods that ought to have helped you are busy hiding posts.
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by i1: 8:54am On Apr 15, 2012
Have U̶̲̥̅̊ gotten Τ̲̅ђe child You wish †☺ adopt/ if yes, then Τ̲̅ђe child's legal guardian aπϑ You will have †☺ go †☺ Τ̲̅ђe court for Τ̲̅ђe process. Call ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ on 08053779782
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by ifyalways(f): 10:28am On Apr 15, 2012
^"gotten" the child from where exactly? No make amadioha vex and make your child available someday to be "gotten" for adoption someday.

OP, just in case you are lazy to search for those threads, here are quick tips:
Your friend should look for "registered" orphanages in the state where he wants to adopt. Keyword is registered, not just any orphanage.

He can visit, see the kids and might be lucky to bond with 1.

Find out from the home if the child is up for adoption and if yes.

Head to the state social service or welfare office. Tell them his mission ie adoption, the home he visited and outcome.

The social service takes it up from there. Your friend would be screened, asked a lot of questions, very private ones(he better answer honestly too). This step takes sometime. They want to know why s/he wants to adopt, his financial status etc.

If he passes all their tests and meets the criteria, they would give him or her a list of all the available kids up for adoption depending on his preference(sex and age) in all the registered orphanages within the state and ask him to try see all kids.

S/he goes around, decides on a child and the paper works starts. Note that some orphanges might demand money at this stage, money for all the expensis they've incurred whilst taking care of the child, a few won't too.

Paperwork completed, legal papers signed, processing fees paid, et voila, someone is a proud mom or dad.

Anything short of this, you are just aiding child kidnapping!
Beware of people that would claim they have links and can help you. . . It might be your lil' niece or nephew they intend stealing. Beware of child miracle churches and mushroom, unregistered orphange homes.

Goodluck!

Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by Abali1(m): 3:34pm On Apr 15, 2012
thank you ifyalways, i will like to know if the process requires the services of a lwayer. moreover I don't know of any welfare in abia state, but i will make enquiries.
The reason for this thread is because all there threads about adoption did not mention anything about the procedures and processes. More responses may also prove useful.
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by ifyalways(f): 11:29pm On Apr 15, 2012
There should be social service offices @ either Umuahia or Aba.To the best of my knowledge,you do NOT need the services of a lawyer for adoption in Nigeria.We never reach that levels.
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by Busybody2(f): 1:44pm On Apr 16, 2012

Abali1: Please I will like to know the steps taken,when a couple wishes to adopt a child/(twins).
The couples are Nigerians based in Lagos, but wishes to adopt a child from Abia state.
(Please they want to follow all legal procedures).
I need your responses please.

If you are adopting children/twins whose parents are already known to you, you are better off enlisting the help of a Lawyer rather than acting as a litigant in person because of the rigmarole and arduous Court process going through a voluntary adoption in Nigeria entails.

The Lawyer would be able to speed up the process and help facilitate the documents needed to help you apply for the adoption order in Court, sort out the application to the Welfare or Children's Affair's Ministry of the state, sort out the parental consent as well as the Grandparent's consent if any as they have right of first refusal, sort out the paperwork of the Court "guardian", sort out your spouse's consent if you are married, iron out the kinks that the inter-state rules and residency rules would throw up which varies from state to state which ranges from the child living with you 3 months prior to you applying for adoption or notifying a Social Welfare Officer a year ahead of your intention, and help you break down the legal jargon regarding the transfer of parental rights from the biological parents to you, your obligation and liabilities with respect to future custody, maintenance, etc of the twins, as they would be yours till kingdom come and have to be treated as your flesh and blood.

So you see why you need a Lawyer to shoot through the hoops and simplify the process. Google has boatloads of reputable Law firms in Lagos you can employ. Legal and credible adoption paperwork and paper trail is very essential, especially in case you need to travel out of the Country with your adopted children in future and is necessary to safeguard their future as well. . .
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by dasparrow: 6:07pm On Apr 16, 2012
ifyalways: ^nigerians are adopting please.the fact that its not yet a norm or publicly announced does not mean we aint into adopting.

I believe I said "Most Nigerians have a negative perceptions when it comes to adoption" and NOT "That Nigerians ain't adopting." Two different things. I just thought I clearify because I hate it with a passion when people twist my words around. Besides, I was only trying to help the OP since she complained that no one was responding to her initial post. Next time, I will ignore these kinda threads like everyone else did before I made the mistake to respond. Peace, out!
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by ifyalways(f): 8:57pm On Apr 16, 2012
^my bad. I'm sorry.
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by opelistic1(f): 8:13am On Feb 26, 2013
@ ifyalways and busy body thanks so much u ve really help someone here, I really appreciate dis. Pls if u kw more or ve more information to share don't essitate pls.
Re: What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child by Babycrystals(f): 12:55pm On Mar 03, 2013
A

How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? / HELP! My Husband Refuses To Have Sex With Me Ever Since I Was Raped. / What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent?