Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo (5670 Views)

Buhari At The 40th Memorial Lecture Of Murtala Muhammed (Photos) / Pastor Tunde Bakare Collapses During A Lecture In Lagos / Governor Adebayo Adefarati Of Ondo State Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Nobody: 1:29am On Apr 21, 2012
The Fifth Adebayo Adefarati memorial lecture scheduled for this afternoon in Akure turned into a war zone as political thugs, with cover from police, attacked guests and visitors.

A eyewitness in the Ondo State capital said the event erupted into chaos before it could even begin, with guests and politicians running helter skelter as gunshots rent the air. Some of the guests had to jump over the fence in a desperate effort to save their lives. The policemen merely watched as guests were attacked in what appeared to be a premeditated attack.

The event, which was being held in honour of the former governor, was also anticipated to be one of the biggest political gatherings of leaders of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), and all of the patty’s governors were invited, with Ekiti State governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, as Guest Speaker. Party leader Asiwaju Tinubu was billed to deliver the keynote address on “Justice and Fairness as Panacea to Peace.”

None of them had a chance, as the thugs allegedly used machetes freely, screaming that they had instructions to decimate the ACN leaders. Chief Wumi Adegbonmire, a leader of the party who was billed to be chairman of the event, escaped death narrowly, but his car was destroyed.

If he was lucky, Chief Olaiya Oni, the former Labour Party chairman who is now a prominent ACN chieftain, was not. Severely attacked as he drove into the venue, the thugs vandalized his car, demanding that he produce Asiwaju Tinubu, whom they insisted he was hiding in it.

Also attacked was Chief Bisi Akande, the chairman of ACN, who barely escaped with his life. Recalling his experience afterwards, he described the development as “very dangerous.” He said, “I had to basically run away. My effort to seek a resolution was aborted because the situation simply degenerated.”

Guest Speaker Governor Fayemi reportedly did not make it to the venue, making a quick detour after his advance security team warned him of the security breakdown and pandemonium. He had to take several detours in order to avoid attack.

Chief Adegbonmire lamented that the honoree did not deserve the assault. “Adefarati was used to bring [Governor] Mimiko into limelight,” he said. “I don't know why the government should resort to violence to settle political matters.”

Continuing, Chief Adegbonmire said, “This will affect investments. Attacking and matcheting people and of course political opponents is not acceptable. No investor will want to bring his money here. Police here is defective and ineffective. They are not performing their duties. They operate like a private army.”

Mrs. Jumoke Anifowose, nee Ajasin, who was until recently the Ondo state chairman of the ACN, condemned the disruption of the memorial lecture in very strong terms. She dismissed Mimiko as a progressive, saying his resort to political thuggery and attacking of political opponents shows him to be a mean and intolerant politician who is willing to destroy rather than build.

She also accused Mimiko of having prevented her supporters and herself yesterday from entering the Akure City Hall where she had been scheduled to declare her candidature for the governorship. She eventually had to use her campaign office for that purpose, she said.

But a spokesperson to Governor Mimiko told SaharaRporters that ACN thugs that invaded the Labour Party secretariat directly opposite the venue of the event started the chaos. The spokesperson also claimed the police acted to protect the participants.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/news-page/political-violence-erupts-ondo-lecture-event-over-11-allegedly-macheted-suspected-labour-p
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Beaf: 1:32am On Apr 21, 2012
Lol! Did Asiwaju run? grin

On a serious note, the police watched? Damn!
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by OAM4J: 1:53am On Apr 21, 2012
Whao! unbelievable.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Odunnu: 2:34am On Apr 21, 2012
Na wa o.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Afam4eva(m): 2:35am On Apr 21, 2012
lmao

Please did anybody take pictures? I've never seen politicians running for dear lives before.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by aljharem(m): 3:54am On Apr 21, 2012
today it is ondo next is lagos grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Kilode1: 5:19am On Apr 21, 2012
This is just too bad.

Folks need to be careful with Ondo politics, the 1983 Omoboriowo vs Ajasin chaos comes to mind. It's a calm state most times, but their politics can become extremely dangerous.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Beaf: 5:21am On Apr 21, 2012
It seems Mimiko has stated his point fairly energetically. ACN bera beware.
I would have loved to see Asiwaju running for dear life on his tiny lil legs or hiding in the boot of a car! grin
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Rhino5dm: 6:08am On Apr 21, 2012
This is SAHARA REPOTERS . . .and GEJ said they are beer parlour rumour mongers. cool

Beaf: Lol! Did Asiwaju run? grin

Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Odunnu: 6:58am On Apr 21, 2012
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by jmaine: 7:10am On Apr 21, 2012
People dey vex gan for Ondo . . . .this is what we call . . .the real statement of intent of Naija politics . . . . Chaos and mayhem embarassed
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Nobody: 7:18am On Apr 21, 2012
Mimiko is a pdp puppet so,i'm not surprised he sent thugs to attack ACN.Meanwhile,Ondo cannot be left behind in the regional development/prosperity presently going in the SW.I hope EFCC will bring him to account for the billions of naira he stole immediately he was sworn in as governor.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by homerac7: 7:31am On Apr 21, 2012
This just proves that PDP is a weak excuse for d vices we live with, every other political party is as dangerous. It's d inhumanity in our general political culture mixed wt greed,poverty, poor education,tribalism and religious bigotry.

The devil is in us, not PDP.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Rhino5dm: 7:59am On Apr 21, 2012
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by jmaine: 8:01am On Apr 21, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
what do you think you are doing?

lol . . . Debunking you i guess lipsrsealed . . . cheesy
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Rhino5dm: 8:03am On Apr 21, 2012
Until he defects to ACN before you consider him working? In your book Amaechi of Rivers must be doing pretty bad because he belongs to PDP.

Abeg free ONDO state and Mimiko! No thanks cool

~Bluetooth:
Mimiko is a pdp puppet so,i'm not surprised he sent thugs to attack ACN.Meanwhile,Ondo cannot be left behind in the regional development/prosperity presently going in the SW.I hope EFCC will bring him to account for the billions of naira he stole immediately he was sworn in as governor.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Rhino5dm: 8:05am On Apr 21, 2012
Ha ha ha! Let the lady speak grin cool

jmaine:

lol . . . Debunking you i guess lipsrsealed . . . cheesy
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by jmaine: 8:06am On Apr 21, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
Ha ha ha! Let the lady speak grin cool

okay bros . . . cheesy
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by JW214: 8:07am On Apr 21, 2012
It is a clear line between ACN and LP in Ondo State. Mimiko is a grassroot politician and has similar poliTRICKS styles like Tinubu, infact to get his mandate back from Agagu(PDP) then, he had to befriend Tinubu for funds and judiciary supports and when he got it, he closed his link with his ex(Tinubu) and tries to stablize himself in power(a smart move Tinubu never believed a small boy like him can try).

From my careful study on Ondo State PoliTRICKS, ACN in Ondo state today comprises of:
About 20% core AD members who ruled with late Chief Adefarati in 1999 and who hasn't moved to another party in power since then, example is Chief Wumi Adegbonmire(former SSG).
About 50% PDP who ate and dinned with Agagu and turned around the table when Agagu lost out through a judiciary process, example is Chief Tayo Alasoadura(former Com of Finance)
Then,about 40% of the angry members of LP who has been to AD when Adefarati was rulling, stopped at PDP when Agagu was rulling, ate a little bit with Mimiko and now on the dinning table ot ACN waiting for ACN to win Election and thus, food serving can start, example is Chief Olaiya Oni(former chairman LP, who share some political trait with d late Amala politician of Ibadan while giving his reasons for leaving LP for ACN)

So far, most of the politicians am seeing on board of Ondo State ACN are there for their selfish reasons and it is so glaring these members are not better than those they have already in LP except for a few of them like daughter of a former Gov and a Prof who has just entered politics some months ago. For ACN to win Ondo State, they must (s)elect a candidiate that can stand the test of Dr Mimiko and so far, I have just seen 2 of them, and with d msg they are both sending so far, both aspirants are not ready to shift grounds.

As the Election to the Guber seat in Ondo state draws near, I wish Ondo people can vote not minding the sectional Cultural group campaign that is winning the air now (being OWO, AKOKO,ILAJE....) Should not be a factor, competence should be the watchword, even if the candidiate is from a minority group or party(like LP vs PDP in 2003).

I wish Ondo State Peace in the coming election

4 Likes

Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by jmaine: 8:17am On Apr 21, 2012
Am afraid Mimiko is like the proverbial Iroko tree in Ondo state politics . . . . And there is this proverbial saying that goes . ." He who goes attempting to push an Iroko tree . . .ends up pushing only himself . . . .

Try hard as they (ACN) may . . . . Oga Mimiko seem like an unstoppable force . . . .
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by VoodooDoll(m): 9:22am On Apr 21, 2012
Beaf: Lol! Did Asiwaju run? grin

You are worse than an animal for laughing at such a despicable act by the PDP controlled police force. May your days be influenced by your words and actions.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by jmaine: 9:40am On Apr 21, 2012
VoodooDoll:

You are worse than an animal for laughing at such a despicable act by the PDP controlled police force. May your days be influenced by your words and actions.

Yes, the same PDP controlled force that was used to daze the Lekki toll gate protesters in an ACN stronghold in Lagos . . . What do you have to say to that and what presumed derogatory term should be used to address you . . .

You deflected your attention from the sad political intolerance via thuggery and violence displayed here . . To calling some other person an animal . . .well your correct . .biologically . . .we are all animals . . Including you . .
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by VoodooDoll(m): 9:44am On Apr 21, 2012
jmaine:

Yes, the same PDP controlled force that was used to daze the Lekki toll gate protesters in an ACN stronghold in Lagos . . . What do you have to say to that and what presumed derogatory term should be used to address you . . .

You deflected your attention from the sad political intolerance via thuggery and violence displayed here . . To calling some other person an animal . . .well your correct . .biologically . . .we are all animals . . Including you . .

If in your haste to post you failed to see this caricature of an excuse of an apology of a human form making jest and hilarity that the police force, paid for with tax payers money are being used to attack people then you can stand in his shoes and collect my tirade directed at him.

Fashola and Lagos ACN were despicable in their use of the PDP controlled police force in attacking the Lekki demonstrators, that does not make this despicable act any less despicable.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by jmaine: 10:08am On Apr 21, 2012
VoodooDoll:

If in your haste to post you failed to see this caricature of an excuse of an apology of a human form making jest and hilarity that the police force, paid for with tax payers money are being used to attack people then you can stand in his shoes and collect my tirade directed at him.

Fashola and Lagos ACN were despicable in their use of the PDP controlled police force in attacking the Lekki demonstrators, that does not make this despicable act any less despicable.

the only jest of his was laughing at the prospect of Tinubu bailing on his heels . . .but he expressed taint disgust at the police for standing and watching while the mayhem went unabated . . .guess the "On a serious note" part meant nothing to you . . .

The parties involved were the LP and the ACN . . .and the usually inept police were at their best doing nothing . . .but you attempted to import a PDP angle to an event that had nothing to do with it . . .i only brought up the ACN - Lekki angle to show you how pliable our police force can tilt to depending on the resident power being displayed at any given point in time . . .

This thread is about the LP /ACN unpleasant power play unfolding . . .
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Delafruita(m): 10:22am On Apr 21, 2012
IMO,mimiko has performed quite well in ondo.whether his performance is commesurate with the allocation is another thing.however his desperation to hold onto power has seen him alienating many of his erstwhile allies and that could be his undoing.the ACN has been able to supplant pdp as the main opposition and i expect dem to win
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by passionate88: 10:40am On Apr 21, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Everything that happens in Nigeria is the fault of PDP... boko haram, pdp yet they bomb churches, fulani invasions, pdp yet they attack farming settlements. opc crisis pdp, nurtw riots pdp, mend attacks pdp.... Tomorrow your papa go die you go shout say na pdp.... Thunder fire your BIG DUMB HEAD..
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Basics007: 10:54am On Apr 21, 2012
PDP LP ACN Bleep all of them. These fools have no plan for the common man so the earlier they behead themselves the better.
For all i know the ACN may've staged this attack itself to sway sympathy towards itself. It's happened before and who says it cant happen again.
Till all the ACN governors start delivering on their election promises and stop riding fashola's jock,there's no reason for the Ondo people to exchange a known devil for an unknown angel
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by strangerf: 11:17am On Apr 21, 2012
I am really impressed with Mimiko

Fire for fire, me likey. I am happy there are people standing up to the imperialist Tinubu, Go Mimiko
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by Nobody: 11:36am On Apr 21, 2012
my house is opposite the BTO HALL, lecture for the venue, nothing serious really happened there, it was just ACN and LP supporters throwing stones at each other, you need to see the stone fight, there were no gun shots, it was only the mobile policemen that fired several tear gas, Akure boys no sabi do wahala at all, i just tire for all of them.
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by babaowo: 11:44am On Apr 21, 2012
politicians has no blame rather than those id* ots people who stand as thug against themselves whiile politicians hide thier own children
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by jmaine: 11:45am On Apr 21, 2012
ohnyore: my house is opposite the BTO HALL, lecture for the venue, nothing serious really happened there, it was just ACN and LP supporters throwing stones at each other, you need to see the stone fight, there were no gun shots, it was only the mobile policemen that fired several tear gas, Akure boys no sabi do wahala at all, i just tire for all of them.

lol . . .so you dey find wahala . .if e happen . .you go fit stand watch am . . . but rocks fit cause bodily harm . . .no dey under estimate the power of a marauding rock in flight . . .grin
Re: Political Violence At 5th Adebayo Adefarati Memorial Lecture In Ondo by BlueMagic2(m): 11:46am On Apr 21, 2012
Same Shit, Different Toilet.

(1) (2) (Reply)

'Sunday Oliseh Insulted My Late Mum Before Stripping Me Of My Captaincy':Enyeama / Britain Must Be Called Back To Rule Nigeria / How lagos igbos are trading their heritage for Yoruba in lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.