Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,123 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors (12979 Views)

Economy Downturn: Redeploy Adeosun From Finance Ministry , Group Tells Buhari / Buhari Yet To Give Finance Ministry Details Of Recovered Loot — Adeosun / Diezani Alison-Madueke Indicted Over N310billion Illegal Subsidy Payment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by question(m): 7:23am On Apr 22, 2012
It is not just to sack but to send them to jail. EFCC should take over from where Federal Ministry of Finance stopped.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by klas(m): 7:26am On Apr 22, 2012
Why was Akintola Williams' name suddenly localised when it came to wrong doing? When they were appointed and during the probe, govt officials defended them as very reputable international firm called Deloitte. This is even the first time that the other firm - Adekanola would be mentioned in connevtion with the subdidy. These govt officials sef.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by jason2010(m): 7:27am On Apr 22, 2012
In addition to getting sacked by the finance ministry, this accounting firm should be banned from practicing accounting in the country period. But we all know that with out lax and loose law in this country, the eventual outcome is going to be business as usual. ie they will still be out there reviewing and cooking somebody's books. What a shame. What happened to Arthur Anderson needs to happen to Deloite Nigeria period
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by gene1(m): 7:34am On Apr 22, 2012
Only Nigeria....smh...
for best job info:

Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Wilfredng: 7:42am On Apr 22, 2012
jason2010: In addition to getting sacked by the finance ministry, this accounting firm should be banned from practicing accounting in the country period. But we all know that with out lax and loose law in this country, the eventual outcome is going to be business as usual. ie they will still be out there reviewing and cooking somebody's books. What a shame. What happened to Arthur Anderson needs to happen to Deloite Nigeria period

[size=20pt]Supported. They should be banned. Q.E.D[/size]
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by jason2010(m): 7:43am On Apr 22, 2012
klas: Why was Akintola Williams' name suddenly localised when it came to wrong doing? When they were appointed and during the probe, govt officials defended them as very reputable international firm called Deloitte. This is even the first time that the other firm - Adekanola would be mentioned in connevtion with the subdidy. These govt officials sef.

Thank u so much, exactly my thoughts. They (Deloitte and Touche) are already trying to get away by distancing themselves gradually
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Nobody: 7:55am On Apr 22, 2012
Those of you calling for the sack of NOI are just joking, the woman came in and stopped this rot in the O&G industry and u think GEJ is dat foolish to sack her, dream on!
You have not heard the least of this trust me, more heads to roll soon before they focus next on the big leagues. The foot soldiers have to be taken out first.
All the troublers of Nigeria will know NO PEACE!!
Take it or leave it, this is another point scored by GEJ, hope someone is taking notes now o, before they start calling him [i]slowpoke [/i]as if they could do better
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by VUVUZELA10: 7:58am On Apr 22, 2012
All these shameless revelations confirm Professor Tam David-West and some reasonable Nigerians declaration that ab initio there was no fuel subsidy. In a civilised society, Madam “Wahala” Iweala-Okonji and Diezani will resign and render apology. Sack is not enough. All those involved in the mindless killing and exploitation of Nigerians should be prosecuted and send to jail.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 22, 2012
CyberG: When will Iweala fire herself or step down from this position? Under the watch of a so-called CME (another useless title), hundreds of billions has been frittered away! Sacking these organizations does not return the money, when will the money be retrieved? When will the human beings be punished with long jail terms, including their government co-conspirators? This is just a knee jerk reaction that will not solve any problem!

When will the useless government of the dead brain Jonadead be totally pulled down, for goodness sake? How much money do a few people need for a lifetime that they sacrifice several millions of lives counting on them to lead this god-forsaken country? Or, are MOST Nigerians just born to suffer, and patch-up till they kick the bucket?

my guy slow down, no be she do the stealing, she just came in to discovered these and will try to clear them off the way. As for GEJ's Govt, God will use him to deliver this Nation from the grip of some foolish cabal

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Nobody: 8:16am On Apr 22, 2012
Gabbysky:

my guy slow down, no be she do the stealing, she just came in to discovered these and will try to clear them off the way. As for GEJ's Govt, God will use him to deliver this Nation from the grip of some foolish cabal
the same akintola williams that cooked up books of accounts for banks to defraud Nigerians grin grin grin grin
thank your stars am not close to u when you made this comment, u should have been cooling off at the emergency ward by now. a woman who has been there since the days of obj.she knows more than she is telling us
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by qwest(m): 8:16am On Apr 22, 2012
Ever since the Cadbury scandal I've avoided companies audited by Akintola Williams. Don't see why they weren't investigated then, and why they aren't going to be investigated now as well.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Nobody: 8:33am On Apr 22, 2012
A whole Akintola williams involved in all these rubbish ? shocked that man is a disappointment.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by rennylaw(m): 8:57am On Apr 22, 2012
I call that leaving the substance and chasing the shadow. When do we want to start getting things right in dis country? Leave audit firms out of this and let's prosecute the subsidy thieves. God bless Nigeria
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 22, 2012
If Akintola WIlliams & Co is found wanting, then it therefore means that the Marketers were able to bribe him into making up figures. The entire system has to be overhauled. They should be in jail while another auditing firm should look into the books again. Unfortunately we have so many policing organizations that we are even confused who should arrest Akintola Williams and Co; EFCC, ICPC, NPF et al
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 22, 2012
rennylaw: I call that leaving the substance and chasing the shadow. When do we want to start getting things right in dis country? Leave audit firms out of this and let's prosecute the subsidy thieves. God bless Nigeria
How do you punish a thief without evaluated and audited report from an Auditing firm ? Thats where Akintola William came in and took bribe to falsify books! I said we burn their offices nationwide! I got petrol, who has lighter?
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Concept(m): 9:03am On Apr 22, 2012
question: It is not just to sack but to send them to jail. EFCC should take over from where Federal Ministry of Finance stopped.

EFCC? Read this, expect irrational behaviour from most Nigerians on issue of money.

The Upper Legislative Chamber of the National Assembly is investigating the fraud in the management and administration of pension fund.The committee has asked the EFCC to hands off the investigation of those connected with the monumental pension fraud following its findings that the commission was also an accomplice in the matter.
Two key witnesses, an Assistant Director in the Pension Accounts office, Mr. Toyin Ishola and Dr Suhaibu Teddy, who is also a Director in the pension office, had accused the EFCC for its role in the illegal withdrawal and transfer of pension fund and asked the committee to remove the EFCC from the investigation since it will also be investigated.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Konnektions146(m): 9:18am On Apr 22, 2012
its a pity Akintola williams &h co is involved in this, corruption is just everywhere, d truth of the matter is dat Okonjo-iweala is tryinn to sanitize dis govt and she will do more, if not cos of de subsidy saga, all dese revelations wouldnt have surfaced,
lets cool down and watch things unfold, i am just hoping that another accting/audinting firm is contracted to shhine.
then , more revelations would show,
i was against Okonjo during de subsidy saga in january but i now think beta, lets croos our arms and watch things happen cos more shocking news and changes are on de way.

long Live Nigeria!
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by noiseless: 9:19am On Apr 22, 2012
You have to also agree that Obasonjo appoints people to use them for dodgy and selfish aims, when Ngozi refused to be used by Obasanjo's programme of doom, did she not resign walk away with her dignity instead of playing to please Obasanjo's evil programme? Now that someone who wants a real change like Jonathan is supporting her to start from square one, to fix what Obasanjo denied her and Nigerians the opportunity to cleans. I really don't understand why some people think that the dirt which has been piling up for decades deliberately with the intentions to sweep them under no matter what could just be fixed overnight.
aguiyi: the same akintola williams that cooked up books of accounts for banks to defraud Nigerians grin grin grin grin
thank your stars am not close to u when you made this comment, u should have been cooling off at the emergency ward by now. a woman who has been there since the days of obj.she knows more than she is telling us
You have to also agree that Obasonjo appoints people to use them for dodgy and selfish aims, when Ngozi refused to be used by Obasanjo's programme of doom, did she not resign walk away with her dignity instead of playing to please Obasanjo's evil programme? Now that someone who wants a real change like Jonathan is supporting her to start from square one, to fix what Obasanjo denied her and Nigerians the opportunity to cleans. I really don't understand why some people think that the dirt which has been piling up for decades deliberately with the intentions to sweep them under no matter what could just be fixed overnight.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by gomentii(m): 9:25am On Apr 22, 2012
Dis gvmnt wth gimmicks...am always left in wonderland by deir actions. Even a biznesman dat didn't c d 4 walls of class rum knws d rules of profesional auditors. As highly exposed n learned Ngozi is;she's supos 2 knw dat if Akintola n d rest were involved in shady deals deir licence shld be revoke. Sackn dem is a glaring picture dat dey av sth 2 hide. Well!i knw 4sure pdp will nt com out suxesful dis tym around. Nigerians r watchn
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by jamace(m): 9:32am On Apr 22, 2012
Eazee-e:

D work of an audit firm is merely 2 examine d books of d ministry n make decision as 2 d fairness of d records as wel as make recommendation 2 d ministry i.e discover fraud n report if possible which dey fail 2 deliver & not 2 b givin figures as u mention above.I TEL U D MAIN THIEF HAS NOT BEEN TOUCHED BUT RATHER D PERSON DAT WAS SUPOSE 2 'SHOUT THIEF' BUT FAIL 2 SHOUT DAT WAS KICKED. dats exactly wat dey always do 2 fool d masses into believing dey re serious in fightin corruption & belief me notin happens 2 d main criminals. i wonder y u re too myopic in ur reasoning n always go watever extent 2 convince d nairalanders into believing evri govt action as d best option available even wen its not.

Okay, let the person that was supposed to "shout thief" shout now; even though belated, it will be acknowledged.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by okpurukata(f): 9:38am On Apr 22, 2012
[quote author=Eazee-e]

D work of an audit firm is merely 2 examine d books of d ministry n make decision as 2 d fairness of d records as wel as make recommendation 2 d ministry i.e discover fraud n report if possible which dey fail 2 deliver & not 2 b givin figures as u mention above.I TEL U D MAIN THIEF HAS NOT BEEN TOUCHED BUT RATHER D PERSON DAT WAS SUPOSE 2 'SHOUT THIEF' BUT FAIL 2 SHOUT DAT WAS KICKED. dats exactly wat dey always do 2 fool d masses into believing dey re serious in fightin corruption & belief me notin happens 2 d main criminals. i wonder y u re too myopic in ur reasoning n always go watever extent 2 convince d nairalanders [color=#006600][/color]into believing evri govt action as d best option available even wen its not.[
Are you sensible at all, or just think other readers are daft. The write up says that the audit firms were also engaged to verify the authenticity of claims. I have auditors in my office. They go all the way to confirm even hotel expenses when in doubt. The simple fact is that the audit firms are complicit in corruption and should be charged accordingly. Let us remove ethnicity for a while and be objective about issues. Good one NOI.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by olajide8(m): 9:43am On Apr 22, 2012
If one doesn't fall another wouldn't rise I guess peat marwick &ogunde came down and william akintola & Co to rise and they took over, let's see whose next, but these access bank boys ha, I guess it their time now they are practically all over the place from SE.C to finance now to NNPC auditing
Ileke-IdI:
A good start, but the biggest successful sack of them all begins with the clueless GEJ.

O ma se, even the rat wants to compete again in 2015, after making Nigeria suffer through his spineless decisions.

At this point I beg to ask is it because they released the initial report about the fraud in the NNPC that was with the minister of finance to the public or they were clamouring for a release and for actions to be based on their report, or because people got first hand information about the audit of the NNPC because, I know, its not because of over payments of or on subsidy, (in my opinion an audit report is a submission of financial activities based on what has happened in an organisation over a previous period of a year or years by those running the system/structure ) they are not the auditor general office that should be responsible for their weekly or monthly audit, nor the accountant general office that is responsible for payment, of these subsidies, they are just independent auditing firms looking into the past activities of those running the organisation based on standard accounting principles being used.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Okijajuju1(m): 9:47am On Apr 22, 2012
Nigerians sef!!

Medicine after death!!

We have been dead in this country since way before 1990. . . . . Its funny how people attribute the failures of this nation to just the present administration.

The truth is that I am strongly behind Jonathan and his subtle anti-corruption campaign. Within one year, he has exposed the fraud in the fuel subsidy programme which millions of Nigerians prior to now have been oblivious to (myself included). He has also opened up the pension scam which as far as I am concerned has been the biggest scam in Nigeria since the 90's till date. Its high time that we as Nigerians throw our weight behind the government and stop stiffling their efforts at stopping wastege and fraud within the system.

Akintola williams as an auditinf firm needs to be probed and their books reviewed as this isnt the first company books they have reviewed that has been exposed for fraudulent practices. The beauty of Jonathans administration is that these scams are not even being uncovered by the EFCC but by the senate. Anybody who can look past the boko Haram menace and see the other things he is doing would applaud him and egg him on to do more.

I feel the next searchlight should be on the Judiciary/ the office of the attorney general as its rather surprising that in corrupt country like Nigeria, the judiciary has only convicted less than five high profile political cases (Alamesiagha, Cecilia Ibru, Bode George & Tafa Balogun) in 12 years of democracy.

I believe in Fresh Air, I believe in Jonathan Goodluck, I believe in Nigeria.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by kulutempa: 9:54am On Apr 22, 2012
LeoMax: How do you punish a thief without evaluated and audited report from an Auditing firm ? Thats where Akintola William came in and took bribe to falsify books! I said we burn their offices nationwide! I got petrol, who has lighter?

Gbam. Seconded. Burn the looters and their accomplices.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Konnektions146(m): 10:12am On Apr 22, 2012
noiseless: You have to also agree that Obasonjo appoints people to use them for dodgy and selfish aims, when Ngozi refused to be used by Obasanjo's programme of doom, did she not resign walk away with her dignity instead of playing to please Obasanjo's evil programme? Now that someone who wants a real change like Jonathan is supporting her to start from square one, to fix what Obasanjo denied her and Nigerians the opportunity to cleans. I really don't understand why some people think that the dirt which has been piling up for decades deliberately with the intentions to sweep them under no matter what could just be fixed overnight.
yes, when Ngozi waas transferred to Foreign Affairs Ministry and he discovered fraudulent billions of naira, den de presidency wanted somethin else, and she quietly resigned.
why re we Nigerians so shallow minded,

people are sayin its "medicine after death" but u also agree with me that eveents just have to take place before a reaction occurs.
subsidy saga is just an initiator to all de probes goin on in Nigeria just like Tunisia was for de Arab spring, and a lot is bein revealed and much more actions would be taken .

lets be patient
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by denitro(m): 10:14am On Apr 22, 2012
***During the military era, there was virtually NO NEWS in relation to
subsidy and how the money was being shared among marketers etc (BAD NEWS - LOOTING AS USUAL).
***Then Obasanjo era, we were made to believe all the GOOD NEWS (subsidy funds - marketers etc
all was rosy - BAD NEWS - LOOTING CONTINUES)
***GEJ era, for once we are hearing BAD NEWS which in my opinion is the best news for Nigerians.
For once we can learn from our mistakes...GOOD NEWS)
As the saying goes......
GOOD NEWS is BAD NEWS
BAD NEWS is GOOD NEWS
NO NEWS is BAD NEWS

I HATE OBASANJO WITH A PASSION
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by buzor(m): 10:15am On Apr 22, 2012
i honestly think some one is Suppose to be going to jail by now...
but its all left for c and c president to decide
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by tuniski: 10:28am On Apr 22, 2012
THAT IS WHY GLOBAL CERTIFICATION WITH BEST PRACTISE SHOULD BE THE NORM IN NIGERIA NOT ICAN THAT IS BEING RUBBISHED WITH THESE REVELATION!!!!! ACCA, CFA and THE LIKE SHOULD BE ENCOURAGE NOT THIS ANAN,ICAN STUFF!!!
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by klas(m): 10:50am On Apr 22, 2012
tuniski: THAT IS WHY GLOBAL CERTIFICATION WITH BEST PRACTISE SHOULD BE THE NORM IN NIGERIA NOT ICAN THAT IS BEING RUBBISHED WITH THESE REVELATION!!!!! ACCA, CFA and THE LIKE SHOULD BE ENCOURAGE NOT THIS ANAN,ICAN STUFF!!!

So ICAN members audited enron, palmart, ponzi schemes? ICAN/ANAN members populated the US arthur andersen? Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by playboy19(m): 10:52am On Apr 22, 2012
• The Ministry has established a committee made up of credible and experienced persons from the private and public sector with strong technical component under the chairmanship of Mr. Aigboje Imoukuede to examine the claims of payment arrears for 2011 currently being made by marketers. This is to ensure that only genuine claims are honoured.

Okay now they've been sacked, now you put another criminal there. AIG? Access Bank? We are in big trouble in this country. Sounds more like Soldier go, Soldier come situation here.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 22, 2012
Eazee-e:

D work of an audit firm is merely 2 examine d books of d ministry n make decision as 2 d fairness of d records as wel as make recommendation 2 d ministry i.e discover fraud n report if possible which dey fail 2 deliver & not 2 b givin figures as u mention above.I TEL U D MAIN THIEF HAS NOT BEEN TOUCHED BUT RATHER D PERSON DAT WAS SUPOSE 2 'SHOUT THIEF' BUT FAIL 2 SHOUT DAT WAS KICKED. dats exactly wat dey always do 2 fool d masses into believing dey re serious in fightin corruption & belief me notin happens 2 d main criminals. i wonder y u re too myopic in ur reasoning n always go watever extent 2 convince d nairalanders into believing evri govt action as d best option available even wen its not.
BUT RATHER D PERSON DAT WAS SUPOSE 2 'SHOUT THIEF' Please explain this phrase.
Re: Subsidy Payment: Finance Ministry Sacks Akintola Williams & Other Auditors by klas(m): 11:01am On Apr 22, 2012
olajide_07: At this point I beg to ask is it because they released the initial report about the fraud in the NNPC that was with the minister of finance to the public or they were clamouring for a release and for actions to be based on their report, or because people got first hand information about the audit of the NNPC because, I know, its not because of over payments of or on subsidy, (in my opinion an audit report is a submission of financial activities based on what has happened in an organisation over a previous period of a year or years by those running the system/structure ) they are not the auditor general office that should be responsible for their weekly or monthly audit, nor the accountant general office that is responsible for payment, of these subsidies, they are just independent auditing firms looking into the past activities of those running the organisation based on standard accounting principles being used.

The work done by Deloitte and the other firm on fuel importation is not the normal end of year financial audit but routine everyday on the spot verification of fuel importation at the ports just like internal auditing. It is more of consultancy than auditing. Infact, they would need to deploy more non-accounting personnel than accounting ones for the assignment.

Note that Deloitte is not just an auditing/accounting firm but multi-disciplinary group like Pricewaterhouse, kpmg ernest & young. that is why they can advertise their business or print calendars. Some things that are forbidden by ICAN for instance

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / CCB Plans To Verify Makinde’s N48bn Assets, Others / BREAKING: Death In Aso Rock!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.