Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,549 members, 7,847,289 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 02:48 PM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (18663) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10672775 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18660) (18661) (18662) (18663) (18664) (18665) (18666) ... (19319) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 9:20am On Jan 29
Unlimited22:

Essam El-Hadary may even have a better claim.

Fair point, but I was just looking for a way to put a Nigerian in the team. At the GK level, I would put Kameni and Songo'o ahead of El-Hadary within the era I watched.

Hadary's AFCON haul puts him ahead of Enyeama for me. But ultimately the Cameroonians were operating at different level in Europe, and I'd probably put Songo'o tops because he was that guy during the peak rivalry years in the late 90s to early noughties...plus I used him in Winning Eleven with that legendary team with Mboma, Wome, Ndiefi,Geremi, Job, Rigobert, etc.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 9:26am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:
Debate.

The only Nigerian player I can make a case for to hold shirt in this team is Enyeama, and that's a damn shame.

Is the team based on what the players achieved playing for their national team (either in AFCON or World Cup) or on what the players achieved playing for their club side?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 9:28am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:
Debate.

The only Nigerian player I can make a case for to hold shirt in this team is Enyeama, and that's a damn shame.
Did weah win anything with liberia?
El hadary is better than vincent/kameni
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 9:28am On Jan 29
afrodoc2:

No Nigerian makes the team. Enyeama won’t even make 3rd team.

You can squeeze a case for Enyeama sha, based on bias and some measure of objectivity. But mostly bias.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 9:30am On Jan 29
BlueRayDick:

Is the team based on what the players achieved playing for their national team (either in AFCON or World Cup) or on what the players achieved playing for their club side?

I think this kind of list is open to many different interpretations. I choose to interprete it as a list of the 11 greatest African players by ranked career achievement.

Otherwise Salah doesn't even smell this list
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 9:34am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:

I think this kind of list is open to many different interpretations. I choose to interprete it as a list of the 11 greatest African players by ranked career achievement.

Babayaro can still battle kwadwo asamoah
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 9:34am On Jan 29
iamoyindamola:

Did weah win anything with liberia?
El hadary is better than vincent/kameni

Weah won Balon D'or. No further debate is necessary.

The El-hadry one is open to debate. Like unlimited pointed out, He has a strong claim.

My position is that his claim depends on how much weight the individual judge assigns to caf cl and afcon as tournaments. I don't rate aradugbo cups very highly, so in my own highly subjective view, exploits in Europe are by far more impressive.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Kimbeast: 9:34am On Jan 29
BlueRayDick:

I was just about to asked this same question. African 11 should be about your achievement with your country. Hakimi, Bono, Weah, Salah shouldn't be there.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 9:35am On Jan 29
iamoyindamola:

I strongly disagree with this.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 9:36am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:

Weah won Balon D'or. No further debate is necessary.

The El-hadry one is open to debate. Like unlimited pointed out, He has a strong claim.

My position is that his claim depends on how much weight the individual judge assigns to caf cl and afcon as tournaments. I don't rate aradugbo cups very highly, so in my own highly subjective view, exploits in Europe are by far more impressive.
I think that's why bono made the list
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 9:36am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:

That's why I asked cos the list looks funny. Some of the players on it were just good for their clubs and not even for long. If it's by their performances in AFCON and playing at the world cup I know some of the Nigerian CB's in the 90's will definitely get a starting place ahead of Kolo Toure.

Even that Essien in midfield sef, e no go dey there
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 9:38am On Jan 29
Kimbeast:

I was just about to asked this same question. African 11 should be about your achievement with your country. Hakimi, Bono, Weah, Salah shouldn't be there.

I guess whoever kept Bono and Hakimi there did so based on their last World cup outing. Even Salah no get level in Africa at all and George Weah being on the list is just to honor his exploits in Europe
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 9:42am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:

I strongly disagree with this.
Check am well
Babayaro had intercontinental trophies(UEFA cup and cups of cup) with chelsea
U17 champion
Olympic with nigeria
I think he won the league in 2005 with chelsea too

Na only schdetto asamoah pack
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 9:46am On Jan 29
BlueRayDick:

I guess whoever kept Bono and Hakimi there did so based on their last World cup outing. Even Salah no get level in Africa at all and George Weah being on the list is just to honor his exploits in Europe

Geremi and Lauren are clear of Hakimi for that RB based on my own interpretation
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 9:47am On Jan 29
BlueRayDick:

Weah sef na more of individual honors
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 9:48am On Jan 29
iamoyindamola:

Check am well
Babayaro had intercontinental trophies(UEFA cup and cups of cup) with chelsea
U17 champion
Olympic with nigeria
I think he won the league in 2005 with chelsea too

Na only schdetto asamoah pack

Intertoto cup no ne cup na.

The sheer number of scudetto & coppa Italia wins, as well as 2 time UCL finalist puts Asamoah clear for me.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 9:51am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:

Geremi and Lauren are clear of Hakimi for that RB based on my own interpretation

Lauren definitely has everything to push Hakimi out of that RB position. He won 2 afcons and olympic gold with his national team.

Na Gen Z draw up that list grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 9:52am On Jan 29
iamoyindamola:

Weah sef na more of individual honors

Na self recognition.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 9:52am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:

Intertoto cup no ne cup na.

The sheer number of scudetto & coppa Italia wins, as well as 2 time UCL finalist puts Asamoah clear for me.
If he didn't they e no they
But he no win am na
Moreover babayaro sef get fa cups plus Nigeria achievement should put him ahead of asamoah
You can't be Africa best if you didn't achieve with your africa country
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Bombblacks: 9:53am On Jan 29
Any line up without Abedi is already irrelevant.

7 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 10:00am On Jan 29
iamoyindamola:

If he didn't they e no they
But he no win am na
Moreover babayaro sef get fa cups plus Nigeria achievement should put him ahead of asamoah
You can't be Africa best if you didn't achieve with your africa country

You have a point, but I'm not that bothered about aradugbo trophies like AFCON and CAFCL.

Who do you think is the senior man between Taye Taiwo and Celestine? I suspect that you will go with Cele, but personally I think its a tie or maybe even Taye slighty higher (maybe due to recency effect and also remembering him as our Gareth Bale).

My interpretation of career honours makes Kwadwoah a 2 time UCL silver medalist. That plus his domestic Juve haul puts him well clear of Cele in my eyes, unlike the much closer comparison above.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 10:19am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:

If na strictly by exploits with national team, even Augustine Eguavoen is clear of Hakimi
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 10:19am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:

You have a point, but I'm not that bothered about aradugbo trophies like AFCON and CAFCL.

Who do you think is the senior man between Taye Taiwo and Celestine? I suspect that you will go with Cele, but personally I think its a tie or maybe even Taye slighty higher (maybe due to recency effect and also remembering him as our Gareth Bale).

My interpretation of career honours makes Kwadwoah a 2 time UCL silver medalist. That plus his domestic Juve haul puts him well clear of Cele in my eyes, unlike the much closer comparison above.
This is more of european based africa xi
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 10:22am On Jan 29
Griffon:

Baba why you too like this dick measuring debates?

If na donjazzet type this, I for understand.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 10:25am On Jan 29
BlueRayDick is correct shaa. That line-up looks like a mix of best players by career achievement and best players by NT and AFCON achievement

Because Kolo Toure, Hakimi and Bono are nowhere near a list of best African players of all time if you're considering NT achievements. Who or what is a Bono? He won't even make the third team sef. Jacques Songo'o, Thomas N'kono, Joseph Antoine-Bell, Carlos Kameni, Essam El-Hadary and even Vincent Enyeama are all ahead of him.

Even Michael Essien in midfield is very highly debatable and George Weah gets in solely because he won a Ballon d'or.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 10:26am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:

Astronomically. Lauren is an invincible, won the Olympic Gold and two AFCONs as a starting RB.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 10:29am On Jan 29
nihilistjnr:
Debate.

Will like to see Raumdeuter's best XI and his criteria. Many players here will not feature because they didn't win Nations cup or Ucl.

Raumdeuter, tag me when it drops.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 10:33am On Jan 29
airmark:

Will like to see Raumdeuter's best XI and his criteria. Many players here will not feature because they didn't win Nations cup and Ucl.

Raumdeuter, tag me when it drops.
Salah no get level in African football at all. We all know he's a special player though.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 10:36am On Jan 29
iamoyindamola:

No he can't
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 10:38am On Jan 29
Unlimited22:

Astronomically. Lauren is an invincible, won the Olympic Gold and two AFCONs as a starting RB.

Njitap won UCL twice, won 2 EPL, won 1 la liga, won 2 afcon and that Olympic.

For me, I would argue at least of of Geremi and Lauren must play. If Geremi enters RB, and Lauren chop bench, I probably won't be mad at that. But if it's Lauren that gets the nod at RB, then Essien must make way for Geremi Njitap.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 10:39am On Jan 29
Unlimited22:

Lauren was one of those sleeveless jersey wearing Cameroun team grin

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 10:51am On Jan 29
Unlimited22:

Salah no get level in African football at all. We all know he's a special player though.

I won't be surprised if Raumdeuter replaces Salah with Mikel or Finidi, for winning the nations cup and Ucl.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18660) (18661) (18662) (18663) (18664) (18665) (18666) ... (19319) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ThierryJay, Itsrm(m), Realtord43 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.