Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (7623) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10509362 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7620) (7621) (7622) (7623) (7624) (7625) (7626) ... (19149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Leyqute(m): 5:03pm On Aug 29, 2019
You’ve got to give credit to Liverpool last year for annihilating Barcelona at Anfield and winning the tie 4-3. They were the better team in both legs

9 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Kimbeast: 5:03pm On Aug 29, 2019
raumdeuter:

In 1 match everything can go wrong. And we can have freak results, that result does not mean Milan was 4-0 better than Barcelona

Decades from now people will write about how Liverpool featuring Origi and Shaqiri in attack smashed a Barcelona with Messi, Suarez and Coutinho and some will argue that an attack of Shaq Origi was better than Suarez Messi

Agreed but I disagree on it being a freak result. Freak results don't happen in an European final. It was a tactical masterclass from Capello. Desailly was immense in that match. Another problem maybe fatigue,Milan won Seria A 20 days before the final and rested their players in the last league games. Barca won the La Liga title only three days before the final.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by elrony(m): 5:08pm On Aug 29, 2019
See men dem grin grin

Nihilistjnr did you watch that game?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 5:12pm On Aug 29, 2019
elrony:
See men dem grin grin

Nihilistjnr did you watch that game?

93/94 final?

How I wan take watch am? I was in Primary 2.

I didn't even send football back then. I was too busy watching He-man and Voltron.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Leyqute(m): 5:14pm On Aug 29, 2019
larride:

How did they win the league though grin

Edited: Just saw they won the league with 50pts. grin Na wa ooo. 10 teams actually out scored them.

Yep. Ultra defensive set up. 34 games, 23 clean sheets. Out of the 15 goals they conceded, Sampdoria scored 3 (L) and Udinese scored 2(D). They only lost 3 times.

They were a very defensive team.

You’d never expect them to beat Barcelona 4-0 in the UCL final.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 5:16pm On Aug 29, 2019
Kimbeast:

Agreed but I disagree on it being a freak result. Freak results don't happen in an European final. It was a tactical masterclass from Capello. Desailly was immense in that match causing havoc for Barca midfield and defense in my opinion top 5 performance from a midfielder in an European final. Another problem maybe fatigue,Milan won Seria A 20 days before the final and rested their players in the last league games. Barca won the La Liga title only three days before the final.

A freak result can happen anytime. A freak result is anything that cannot be duplicated given the same circumstance.

Was it not in a CL final that Liverpool with Dudek Finan Djimi Traore and Carragher, attack of Djibril Cisse, Baros equalized 3-0 to 3-3 within 6mins and beat an attack of Sheva, Kaka and Crespo? plus Maldini Stam, Pirlo Nesta Cafu Seedorf

Look at Milan lineup in 2005 and Liverpool if the game ended 8-0 in favor of Milan, No one will argue.. Of the Milan lineup, almost 7 of them are talked about as the best in their positions over time, How many of those Liverpool players were considered best in their position even within the EPL that season?

Germany smashed Brazil at home 7-1 in a world cup semi, yet the same Germany struggled vs Algeria. I dont think Germany were 7-1 better than Brazil and the game played the next day the result wont be same, Just like I dont think an attack of Shaqiri and Origi were 4-0 better than Messi-Suarez attack
Just like Fulham beat Juventus 4-1 in a Europa semi

5 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nihilistjnr: 5:19pm On Aug 29, 2019
The way all you people used to 'watch' these matches sef.

In an era where it was just Channel 5, Channel 10, and Channel 7. TV stations didn't start broadcasting till 4pm on a weekday, and there was no internet. Viewing centres hadn't even been invented.

Mehn you guys are the real MVPs. There was no need for them Mitchell Obi and Larry Izamoje then.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Kimbeast: 5:21pm On Aug 29, 2019
afrodoc2:

Greatest shock possibly in UEFA Champs League final history.

Baresi and Costacurta suspended.

Papin, Brian Laudrup could not play because of the 3 foreigner limit rule.

Lentini not recovered from his horrific car accident. He never did fully recover anyway.

Van Basten also injured and to retire I believe at the end of that season.

Then on the Barca side Cruyff deciding not to field Michael Laudrup cos of the same 3 foreigner limit rule.
Milan dominated close to three decades in world football. Sacchi/Capello's Milan in the late '80s and early '90s - Ancelotti's Milan in the mid 2000s. People could make a case for Van gaal ajax or pep barca but in my opinion no team has dominated like Milan. It's a shame what Milan has turned to in recent years.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 5:22pm On Aug 29, 2019
nihilistjnr:

In an era where it was just Channel 5, Channel 10, and Channel 7. TV stations didn't start broadcasting till 4pm on a weekday, and there was no internet. Viewing centres hadn't even been invented.

Mehn you guys are the real MVPs. There was no need for them Mitchell Obi and Larry Izamoje then.

Those times, you dont know that we go to video club to rent recorded matches of football. The 1996 final I didnt watch live na only recorded video tape I watch

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Kimbeast: 5:29pm On Aug 29, 2019
raumdeuter:

A freak result can happen anytime. A freak result is anything that cannot be duplicated given the same circumstance.

Was it not in a CL final that Liverpool with Dudek Finan Djimi Traore and Carragher, attack of Djibril Cisse, Baros equalized 3-0 to 3-3 within 6mins and beat an attack of Sheva, Kaka and Crespo? plus Maldini Stam, Pirlo Nesta Cafu Seedorf

Look at Milan lineup in 2005 and Liverpool if the game ended 8-0 in favor of Milan, No one will argue.. Of the Milan lineup, almost 7 of them are talked about as the best in their positions over time, How many of those Liverpool players were considered best in their position even within the EPL that season?

Germany smashed Brazil at home 7-1 in a world cup semi, yet the same Germany struggled vs Algeria. I dont think Germany were 7-1 better than Brazil and the game played the next day the result wont be same, Just like I dont think an attack of Shaqiri and Origi were 4-0 better than Messi-Suarez attack
Just like Fulham beat Juventus 4-1 in a Europa semi
I can bet on Capello Milan to beat that Barca side again my friend. If you knew how dominate their defensive approach was you will know Barca could play for 10hrs straight and won't sniff a goal while Milan will pick them apart on the counter with ease but I agree with your point but I wouldn't call it a freak result. You are not giving them any respect.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2019
nihilistjnr:

There was already cable in the early 90s.

There was football made in Germany on TV

There was Italian Serie A on TV

LTV 8 with Nwana Iwajoku and later Ayo Agbesanwa had a Saturday sports program. That’s were I watched the 1988 FA Cup between Liverpool and Fashanu’s Wimbledon on delayed transmission.

NTA 5 had Sports spectacular by Chuka Momoh where you might watch a Euro 84 or Euro 88 game on replay, or a grand slam tennis match (Chuka being a tennis guy), or a boxing bout between Hearns, Hagler Leonards etc.

Then there were a few video clubs then where you could rent taped league matches from the main leagues in Europe.

8 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Singapore1(m): 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2019
lol group H
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 5:33pm On Aug 29, 2019
raumdeuter:

Those times, you dont know that we go to video club to rent recorded matches of football. The 1996 final I didnt watch live na only recorded video tape I watch

Lol I didn’t even see this before I replied to Nihilist.
Truly your head dey there.
Nihilist na real indomie generation. Only that e sabi book. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by spillo1: 5:34pm On Aug 29, 2019
Kimbeast:

Milan dominated close to three decades in world football. Sacchi/Capello's Milan in the late '80s and early '90s - Ancelotti's Milan in the mid 2000s. People could make a case for Van gaal ajax or pep barca but in my opinion no team has dominated like Milan. It's a shame what Milan has turned to in recent years.
Dude Ancelotti's Milan is overrated.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ihebu4chelsea(m): 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2019
ajax. group H
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by LegoMetahuman: 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2019
nihilistjnr:

im telling you grin grin

i didnt start watching real live european football until college days.

what i watch mostly were highlights and local league games and games that involve nigeria.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Leyqute(m): 5:42pm On Aug 29, 2019
Kimbeast:

That was a Barca side consisting of koeman,Romario and Stoichkov. Barca were playing the sexy football and were definitely favourites going into the match. Meanwhile Milan were also severely weakened for the final as van basten, baresi, brian laudrup, costacurta, and JP papin couldn't play.
Yet, they annihilated barca in probably the most dominant final performance of the Champions league Era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3VB1bLjgU

Capello went into that game prepared to play pens at worst. Operation clean sheet no matter what. I dont think Barca had a shot on target. Milan were very hard to break down and they scored almost all of their goals via counters.

For those people who don't understand why de lima and others suffered niggling injuries then, have a look at the tackles on display here.

The tackles at 5:23, 6:40 and 8:33 in today's game na direct red card. In this game, na yellow. And you can see the ref at 7:26 telling the tackled player to stand up and "be a man". Barca committed more than 25 fouls, they got just 4 yellow cards. Tell m,e how all of them won't be sent off for the same tackles in 2019?

5 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by lateefGRDT(m): 5:43pm On Aug 29, 2019
city and shaktar Donetsk every time
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by SkimpleD: 5:45pm On Aug 29, 2019
Leyqute:

Add one extra seat for me.

The work of the Lord shall be done. They waxeth exceedingly great in our lives
Shey you go carry bags ni?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 5:47pm On Aug 29, 2019
VVD, Ucl defender of the season. Pique can go and kiss Shakira. grin

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 5:48pm On Aug 29, 2019
Real vs Psg. Has Neymar left them yet? grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Leyqute(m): 5:50pm On Aug 29, 2019
afrodoc2:

There was already cable in the early 90s.

There was football made in Germany on TV

There was Italian Serie A on TV

LTV 8 with Nwana Iwajoku and later Ayo Agbesanwa had a Saturday sports program. That’s were I watched the 1988 FA Cup between Liverpool and Fashanu’s Wimbledon on delayed transmission.

NTA 5 had Sports spectacular by Chuka Momoh where you might watch a Euro 84 or Euro 88 game on replay, or a grand slam tennis match (Chuka being a tennis guy), or a boxing bout between Hearns, Hagler Leonards etc.

Then there were a few video clubs then where you could rent taped league matches from the main leagues in Europe.

Afrodoc you be ogbontarigi. shocked I hail you o.

I remember watching a review of serie A game weeks on TV in the mid 90s. And they weren’t live.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Leyqute(m): 5:52pm On Aug 29, 2019
SkimpleD:

Shey you go carry bags ni?

Let sister Tabitha handle our luggage. The servant of the most high shall not be stressed
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by alexie4real(m): 5:53pm On Aug 29, 2019
nihilistjnr:

oh dr. Larry current brila fm chairman.that man don tey sha
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ihebu4chelsea(m): 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2019
Chelsea ajax Valencia. chineke eh
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 5:57pm On Aug 29, 2019
Leyqute:

Afrodoc you be ogbontarigi. shocked I hail you o.

I remember watching a review of serie A game weeks on TV in the mid 90s. And they weren’t live.

Yup they weren’t.

Italian Seria A on TV had a match that was shown (abridged) and then round up of all the other games.
Same with Football Made in Germany.

But there was the option of cable esp for French league, EPL, La liga.

Then there were video clubs that had most of the top games on tape.

It was not easy but for crazy fans like us we hunted football wherever it was.

The relative lack of availability of foreign sports media and the lack of foreign opportunities for Nigerian players made our local league popular though.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Kimbeast: 5:58pm On Aug 29, 2019
spillo1:
Dude Ancelotti's Milan is overrated.
3 champions league final in 4yrs says otherwise.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Lana1(m): 6:06pm On Aug 29, 2019
City with another easy group for like the 3rd year running. But CEO ApariSports will complain when other English teams get easy groups.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 6:10pm On Aug 29, 2019
alexie4real:
oh dr. Larry current brila fm chairman.that man don tey sha

Larry started in OGBC as Larry Echiejile every morning between 7:45 to 8AM later to 8:15 to 8:30

Later changed his name to Larry Izamoje
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by larride(m): 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2019
Airmark, your food is ready. grin

VVD wins UEFA player of the year.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by seankafor(m): 6:19pm On Aug 29, 2019
I can see he is worth all the talk cool

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Kamelot77(m): 6:20pm On Aug 29, 2019
Full draw

(1) (2) (3) ... (7620) (7621) (7622) (7623) (7624) (7625) (7626) ... (19149) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.