Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,237 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? (17720 Views)

Who Makes You Vex? Nairaland Version / Songs That Makes You Think Of Your Ex. / What Makes You Want To Remember Your Ex? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by 4wardever(m): 2:23pm On Apr 23, 2012
What's your take on using abbreviations like "HBD", "LLNP", "HML" etc when congratulating people? Is it wrong to use the words HBD & LLNP when wishing your loved one a happy birthday, Happy Married Life amongst others?

A friend of mine insists that she doesn't like to receive those abbreviated messages saying: "U cant wish someone a HBD or HML meanwhile you have already shortened it by abbreviating it".

Is it due to impatience or what that makes people write that way?
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by TroyJay(m): 2:33pm On Apr 23, 2012
4wardever: What's your take on using abbreviations like "HBD", "LLNP", "HML" etc when congratulating people? Is it wrong to use the words HBD & LLNP when wishing your loved one a happy birthday, Happy Married Life amongst others?

A friend of mine insists that she doesn't like to receive those abbreviated messages saying: "U cant wish someone a HBD or HML meanwhile you have already shortened it by abbreviating it".

It's text lingo or language. . . There's nothing bad about it IMO.
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by 4wardever(m): 2:38pm On Apr 23, 2012
Yes, to you it isn't but cos it's not everyone that uses/understands it, wouldn't it be much simpler spelling it all out for clarity's sakes? undecided undecided
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by TroyJay(m): 2:46pm On Apr 23, 2012
4wardever: Yes, to you it isn't but cos it's not everyone that uses/understands it, wouldn't it be much simpler spelling it all out for clarity's sakes? undecided undecided
Simpler No, For clarity sakes, Yes. It's simpler in abbreviated format. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be fine.
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 23, 2012
[size=18pt]laziness:[/size]
it's the new in thing! cheesy
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:04pm On Apr 23, 2012
Apart from LLnP and HBD, wetin the remaining mean?!

Plus its just one of those diseases that has eaten into the youths of today. . Too lazy to write out the full word. It started as a result on limitations on text messaging but now its just sheer laziness and to others not even knowing how to spell out the full text.
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by swtdarling(f): 3:24pm On Apr 23, 2012
cos its such a chore.lol.smone is always havin a birthday every day on fb.so abbreviating it makes d task easier!
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by TroyJay(m): 3:30pm On Apr 23, 2012
swtdarling: cos its such a chore.lol.smone is always havin a birthday every day on fb.so abbreviating it makes d task easier!
Come to think of it, look at the OP's username: 4wardever.

What stops him from writing forwardever? Bingo!
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by swtdarling(f): 3:50pm On Apr 23, 2012
TroyJay:
Come to think of it, look at the OP's username: 4wardever.

What stops him from writing forwardever? Bingo!

yes o.ow ironic
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by 4wardever(m): 3:51pm On Apr 23, 2012
Dude, just face the topic besides I've been guilty of this fad many times but since someone had objected to it especially in the context that people do use it (prayers/wishes) & bearing it in mind that we are very sensitive of (prayers/wishes) in this part of the world then it is better to give it a second thought.

And for your information, 4wardever is just a username. Next time, try google what a username means.

Oh, let me save you the stress: A username is a name that uniquely identifies someone on a computer system. For example, a computer may be setup with multiple accounts, with different usernames for each account. Many websites allow users to choose a username so that they can customize their settings or set up an online account. For example, your bank may allow you to choose a username for accessing your banking information. You may need to choose a username in order to post messages to a certain message board on the Web etc. Source: iwebtool.
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by swtdarling(f): 4:05pm On Apr 23, 2012
lmao!@ saving us the stress grin
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by TroyJay(m): 4:06pm On Apr 23, 2012
4wardever: Dude, just face the topic besides I've been guilty of this fad many times but since someone had objected to it especially in the context that people do use it (prayers/wishes) & bearing it in mind that we are very sensitive of (prayers/wishes) in this part of the world then it is better to give it a second thought.

And for your information, 4wardever is just a username. Next time, try google what a username means.

Oh, let me save you the stress: A username is a name that uniquely identifies someone on a computer system. For example, a computer may be setup with multiple accounts, with different usernames for each account. Many websites allow users to choose a username so that they can customize their settings or set up an online account. For example, your bank may allow you to choose a username for accessing your banking information. You may need to choose a username in order to post messages to a certain message board on the Web etc. Source: iwebtool.
So you are free to customize usernames, but you object when people choose to customize congratulations? Interesting!
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by 4wardever(m): 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2012
TroyJay:
So you are free to customize usernames, but you object when people choose to customize congratulations? Interesting!

Read the topic well, this is not about me. I never said I don't use em once in a while but was surprised at the meaning someone else read to it. Is this difficult to understand? Haba!!!

@ swtdarling, whatever! tongue
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Apr 23, 2012
If it's a loved one, I don't see why you can't write out the words.
If it's someone you don't know much, whatever floats your boat.
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by 4wardever(m): 5:20pm On Apr 23, 2012
Yield: If it's a loved one, I don't see why you can't write out the words.
If it's someone you don't know much, whatever floats your boat.

@ Yield. Thank you. But if it is someone you don't know much, why bother in the first place? Should everyone not feel special and loved in full on their day?
smiley
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 23, 2012
4wardever:

@ Yield. Thank you. But if it is someone you don't know much, why bother in the first place? Should everyone not feel special and loved in full on their day?
smiley

By "If it's someone you don't know much...," I meant someone as in a classmate or coworker you've interacted with a few times, but isn't a close friend ...but you somehow know their birthdate. Perhaps you found out through Facebook, some other social means or through talking to them in person. It's really up to you or the individual giving the wishes (birthday wishes or whatever occasion is it) to decide to wish them well. And I said "whatever floats your boat" because if it's someone you're not close to, I don't think they would mind whether you use text-speak to give them their wishes. I know I wouldn't mind, simply because the relationship between us isn't a close one and I'm not someone that expects anything from anyone in the first place. The fact that they even said something would be enough and I would just thank them and keep it moving. That's just me. Someone else might not be too keen on it. I know there're people who absolutely detest text-speak. Personally, If I want to wish someone a happy birthday or congratulate them on their wedding, etc, I would write out words and it doesn't matter whether we're close or not. Again, that's just me.

I was going to give a short example, but I think I've written enough already ...lol.
Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 23, 2012
4wardever: What's your take on using abbreviations like "HBD", "LLNP", "HML" etc when congratulating people? Is it wrong to use the words HBD & LLNP when wishing your loved one a happy birthday, Happy Married Life amongst others?

It's just mental laziness abeg, hbd my foot.

1 Like

Re: What Makes You Abbreviate Hbd, Hml, Llnp, Gbu When Congratulating? by MarianaTrench: 10:43am On Jan 03, 2019
I also think it's improper to use such abbreviations when congratulating someone

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Female Romancelanders Who Are Most Likely Not Virgins / 17-year-old Model Named Most Beautiful Girl In The World For The 2nd Time (photo / How To Deflower A Pussy Without Much Pain (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.