Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,686 members, 7,831,127 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Women: 3 Ways To Get More Respect - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Women: 3 Ways To Get More Respect (870 Views)

How Young Staff Can Get More Respect At Work / List Of Some Professionals We Should Accord More Respect Than We Currently Do / Women: 3 Ways To Get More Respect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Women: 3 Ways To Get More Respect by obienotes(m): 6:38am On Apr 28, 2012
Over the years, I've heard many women, mostly in male-dominated industries, observe that they don't seem to get the respect they deserve from the aforesaid males–and that the lack of respect has had adverse consequences on their careers.
I have no doubt that's true. I'm also well aware that by writing about this subject, I'm running full speed into a mine field.
Even so, I have a few suggestions for women who want more respect from the men at their workplace.
1. Stop Blaming (Just) the Men
Repeated surveys reveal that most women would rather work for men than for other women. For example, a 2009 poll of 2,000 women either with part- or full-time employment revealed that two-thirds were happier having a male boss. Female bosses were seen as being more "prone to mood swings" while men tended to be more authoritative, better at decision-making and more likely to be straight-talkers.
Needless to say, the existence of these perceptions doesn't mean that they're an accurate portrayal of reality. Both men and women alike believe all sorts of nonsense. (For instance, 40% of Americans believe astrology is scientific.) However, the fact that many women share the stereotypes about female bosses strongly suggests that it's a cultural phenomenon rather than something that one gender is doing intentionally.
More importantly, focusing solely on men's attitudes can make you less effective–because you're more likely to be blindsided when the same attitudes crop up in women. And let's face it: Pointing fingers doesn't help you much anyway.
2. Articulate Value–Not Statistics
Most people have heard the statistic that women earn from 20% to 25% less than men in the workplace. That statistic is misleading, however, because it compares the weekly wages of all women to all men. According to an economic study issued by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, if you compare average hourly wages (rather than weekly wages) and factor in education, experience and other variables like industry, occupation and union status, the difference falls to 6.2%.
more here http://www.jobfetcher.org/2012/04/women-3-ways-to-get-more-respect.html

(1) (Reply)

International Researchers / Can An Architect Work In Road Construction Or Oil And Gas Firm? / When You Were A Kid, What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.