Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

Atheist @ A Church Wedding! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist @ A Church Wedding! (7267 Views)

Pregnant Bride Wears Yellow In Anglican Church Wedding (Photo) / How Biblical Is Church Wedding? / My Terrible Experience In A Church Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by mrmayor(m): 4:19pm On Apr 29, 2012
I was @ my nephew's Church ( White)Wedding last weekend at Umuahia, I was playing my role as the father's representative and head of the family, during the course of the service, parents and both bride and groom were called up to alter for the exchange of vows. I was shocked when I was asked to pray for the couple, though I'm no believer a( Sceptic), "I not fit Fall My Hand In Far Away Umuahia" I had to pray my best "Kabashing" prayer I could come up with. wink

My prayer was better than you could see in churches,it was mixed with curses for all who wishes the couple any evil and the Congregation were echoing with very loud Amen and Amen, Nollywood would be proud, now where is my AMAA award grin

My question to all Atheist, Agnostics, (Sceptics = mrmayor) how do you handle these family situations where prayers are offered and how do you handle when you are called up to Pray, Sing etc, I assuming most Non-Believers in Nigeria are still in the CLOSET when it comes to Religion, my family see me as I'm Anti Church and nothing else.

I await your answers, no Insults.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by plaetton: 4:33pm On Apr 29, 2012
. I hv been in that situation severeal times.
I usually do a short philosophical prayer to the god in our hearts, but without jesus in mix.In one instance , one person stood up and said that my prayer was not good enough because it was too short and did not mention Jesus.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 4:37pm On Apr 29, 2012
plaetton: . I hv been in that situation severeal times.
In one instance , one person stood up and said that my prayer was not good enough because it was too short and did not mention Jesus.

lmao. What did you say to the person?
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by plaetton: 4:56pm On Apr 29, 2012
ah. I simply smiled and ignored him.i could not afford to get into any arguments with them . There was no point.

1 Like

Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by DeepSight(m): 5:14pm On Apr 29, 2012
^^^ That is exactly what I do. People are always saying that my prayer is too short and as such, not "spiritual" enough. My ex used to demand prayer sessions and I would offer a short, almost one-liner. She would do her part by first reading a bible passage, then singing several praise songs, before launching into a long combative prayer in which every member of both our families is individually prayed for. Cute, but tiresome.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by mazaje(m): 6:54pm On Apr 29, 2012
Deep Sight: ^^^ That is exactly what I do. People are always saying that my prayer is too short and as such, not "spiritual" enough. My ex used to demand prayer sessions and I would offer a short, almost one-liner. She would do her part by first reading a bible passage, then singing several praise songs, before launching into a long combative prayer in which every member of both our families is individually prayed for. Cute, but tiresome.

Its been so long since last i prayed, I can't even pray any more. . .I haven't found my self in that situation yet, but when it comes I should be able to handle it with a very short prayer. . . .

1 Like

Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Jack65: 7:12pm On Apr 29, 2012
Lol! Almost everybody in my family knows I am an Atheist so nobody asks me. However, last New Year eve I was asked to pray and I just kept quiet until some else started praying lol! I am no longer in the closet even though my family are very religious.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by mrmayor(m): 7:52am On Apr 30, 2012
The wedding incident was something new to me, never being asked to pray in church even when I was a believer, however I can't seem to get away from the prayer and bible reading stuff especially during monthly family meetings. I have to lead the prayers because of my position in the family, I really feel like a hypocrite praying to a Being I don't know.

In 2008 I lost the woman I loved most in my life and I know she loved me even more but she couldn't come to terms with her future husband "Mrmayor" being an unbeliever, she believes her husband must be a prayer warrior and spiritual head of the family, I tried pretending by attending church, night vigils but her brand of Christianity RCCG , with all the seed sowing, tithing and the cult adoration of Daddy GO and local pastors was too much to bear.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by procedure: 2:08pm On Apr 30, 2012
Atheist atheist yet u prayed in a church. Most definitely u are not convince their is no god. That is why u prayed. Conviction is dedication and dedication is absolute not qualified.
For real their is god and jesus is the only way to him stop kicking against the prick u cant change truth but u can change ur belief.
I am not trying to preach but to tell u that their is a one true god who created u.
Find him by prayer.

1 Like

Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by logicboy: 2:11pm On Apr 30, 2012
procedure: Atheist atheist yet u prayed in a church. Most definitely u are not convince their is no god. That is why u prayed. Conviction is dedication and dedication is absolute not qualified.
For real their is god and jesus is the only way to him stop kicking against the prick u cant change truth but u can change ur belief.
I am not trying to preach but to tell u that their is a one true god who created u.
Find him by prayer.

Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by mrmayor(m): 10:19pm On Apr 30, 2012
procedure: Atheist atheist yet u prayed in a church. Most definitely u are not convince their is no god. That is why u prayed. Conviction is dedication and dedication is absolute not qualified.
Find him by prayer.

Not sure what your point is, but I would have caused a big uproar if I refused to pray at my sister's son's wedding, my sister would think I have something against her son, this was a family function where I was acting as the young man's father. What do you suggest I do;that I refuse to attend the wedding because I may be asked do what I have no faith or believe in? Many Atheist,Agnostics, Sceptics and non religious are still in the closet because they are afraid to come out as this would definitely cause problems in very religious families especially those living in Nigeria.

If Ex-Christians find it so difficult to express to their families about their lack of believe, just imagine what Muslims are passing through where the slightest questioning of Quran or his prophet would lead to death.

At the bolded, how would you know?

2 Likes

Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 30, 2012
Find him by prayer.
He's not as stupid as those Christians who would refuse to pray in a mosque. Live in peace with all men; isnt that a tenet of christianity?
Can you prove Jesus is the way without the Bible?
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by logicboy: 11:11pm On Apr 30, 2012
musKeeto:
He's not as stupid as those Christians who would refuse to pray in a mosque. Live in peace with all men; isnt that a tenet of christianity?

Off topic, but since you're an agnostic, why do you always attack me? Just curious.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 3:19am On May 01, 2012
logicboy:

Off topic, but since you're an agnostic, why do you always attack me? Just curious.
Cos it's fun cheesy
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 5:26am On May 01, 2012
musKeeto:

Actually, procedure was right. A true convicted christian will NEVER pray in a mosque regardless of the pressure of public opinion BECAUSE you know in your heart that you carry the emblem of Christ that cannot be shared with other gods. A true atheist should be able to boldly declare his faithlessness... why is this not the case with the cowards here?
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by mazaje(m): 5:58am On May 01, 2012
davidylan:

Actually, procedure was right. A true convicted christian will NEVER pray in a mosque regardless of the pressure of public opinion BECAUSE you know in your heart that you carry the emblem of Christ that cannot be shared with other gods. A true atheist should be able to boldly declare his faithlessness... why is this not the case with the cowards here?

If society will allow or tolerate it then why not. . .Here in europe where the society allows me to be an atheist without ostracizing me in any way I proudly declare my atheism when ever I am asked. . .In Nigeria atheism is synonymous to being an evil or "devilish" person. . .The people are too close minded, backward and unexposed and uneducated to come to terms that there are people that actually do not believe in god. . .A christian will always be accpeted by muslims even though they feel he is misguided and holds the wrong beliefs same goes for a muslim with christians. . .An atheist completely lacks legitimacy in Nigeria. . .
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 6:15am On May 01, 2012
davidylan:

And that my friend is where Christianity differs from Christ.
The message of Christ transcends all human illusions of division. Doesn't God reside in the mosque? Don't you believe He is everywhere?
Didn't Paul discuss with those of other religions he met in Athens? Do you have more 'CHRIST' than PAUL?

And yet you, like every other Christian out there, believes you're the true convicted one, carrying the emblem of Christ....
Instead of letting peace reign, you'd advice one to start an argument over 'religious' beliefs at a wedding? To do what? Prove a point?
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 01, 2012
musKeeto:
And that my friend is where Christianity differs from Christ.
The message of Christ transcends all human illusions of division. Doesn't God reside in the mosque? Don't you believe He is everywhere?
Didn't Paul discuss with those of other religions he met in Athens? Do you have more 'CHRIST' than PAUL?

And yet you, like every other Christian out there, believes you're the true convicted one, carrying the emblem of Christ....
Instead of letting peace reign, you'd advice one to start an argument over 'religious' beliefs at a wedding? To do what? Prove a point?

That my dear is the big problem. What you have done is created an entirely different "Christ" in your own mind. One that is completely divorced from the reality of Him as described in the bible.
Yes Christ does not reside in the mosque, yes Christ is everywhere BUT that same Christ commands all to worship Him and Him alone. No this is not a free-for-all Christ.

Yes Paul discussed with those of other religions in Athens but did you bother to read what Paul said IN DETAIL? Acts 17:22Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 23For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

No sir, Paul was NOT affirming the different religions in Athens but clearly pointing them to the TRUE gospel of Christ. Verse 30 is very clear - the command to REPENT.

What exactly do you mean by "peace"? The temporary and false sense of security that pretense, lies and deceit buys you? Why are you "praying" when you could boldly stand for your beliefs in no god?
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 01, 2012
mazaje:

If society will allow or tolerate it then why not. . .Here in europe where the society allows me to be an atheist without ostracizing me in any way I proudly declare my atheism when ever I am asked. . .In Nigeria atheism is synonymous to being an evil or "devilish" person. . .The people are too close minded, backward and unexposed and uneducated [/b]to come to terms that there are people that actually do not believe in god. . .A christian will always be accpeted by muslims even though they feel he is misguided and holds the wrong beliefs same goes for a muslim with christians. . .[b]An atheist completely lacks legitimacy in Nigeria. . .

The problem isnt the "lack of education" but complete cowardice from those who are staunch, violent atheists on anonymous web forums but exhibit the bravery of trapped mice in real life.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by plaetton: 3:44pm On May 01, 2012
davidylan:

That my dear is the big problem. What you have done is created an entirely different "Christ" in your own mind. One that is completely divorced from the reality of Him as described in the bible.
Yes Christ does not reside in the mosque, yes Christ is everywhere BUT that same Christ commands all to worship Him and Him alone. No this is not a free-for-all Christ.

Yes Paul discussed with those of other religions in Athens but did you bother to read what Paul said IN DETAIL? Acts 17:22Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 23For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

No sir, Paul was NOT affirming the different religions in Athens but clearly pointing them to the TRUE gospel of Christ. Verse 30 is very clear - the command to REPENT.

What exactly do you mean by "peace"? The temporary and false sense of security that pretense, lies and deceit buys you? Why are you "praying" when you

could boldly stand for your beliefs in no god?

Sir, kindly point to me where jesus commanded all to worship him and him alone. I'm eager to know.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 3:52pm On May 01, 2012
plaetton:

Sir, kindly point to me where jesus commanded all to worship him and him alone. I'm eager to know.

Mat 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by logicboy: 3:57pm On May 01, 2012
davidylan:

Mat 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

Fail, he did not command them in that bible quote. Try again.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by plaetton: 4:08pm On May 01, 2012
In our primitive society where today, people are still being killed everyday for being christian, where innocent children are being molested, tortured and killed for being called witches, these people, either wicked or just dishonest, want athiest to wear their non-belief on their chest. for what. to achieve what.

THese people just dont seem to ever get it. Someone who does not believe in something does not ever have to preach or show what he does not believe. As an athiest, i see all as humans first, with no consideration of religious belief. All Nigeria athiest only react when prodded or harrassed. This forum gives everyone a voice without the fear of persecution or harm.
i dont know why davidlan,who is so brave, does not go and loudly provlaim the supremacy of his faith in the streets of maiduguri.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by plaetton: 4:19pm On May 01, 2012
davidylan:

Thank you. This is typical of the fraud and deciet in christianity. See how you have skillfully managed to twist on passage into something totolly different. Where did jesus command all (and who are the all) to worship him and him alone. None whatsoever.

in the passgae, the few disciples had supposedly seen jesus for the first time after his ressurection,so naturally, they were in shock and awe, so they knelt and paid tribute to him. How did that translate to commanding all to worship him and only him.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by logicboy: 4:35pm On May 01, 2012
plaetton:

Thank you. This is typical of the fraud and deciet in christianity. See how you have skillfully managed to twist on passage into something totolly different. Where did jesus command all (and who are the all) to worship him and him alone. None whatsoever.

in the passgae, the few disciples had supposedly seen jesus for the first time after his ressurection,so naturally, they were in shock and awe, so they knelt and paid tribute to him. How did that translate to commanding all to worship him and only him.

Ah, Davidylan is a mental gymnast for christianity. He distorts logic beyond its elastic limit.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by mkmyers45(m): 4:36pm On May 01, 2012
davidylan:

Wrong...Elijah prayed in baal's presence and what was your basis for such conclusion?...Can you go Saudi and clearly declare Jesus as god's son? you will be toast...
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 01, 2012
plaetton:

Its ok to say you truly have no understanding of the bible. This is an area that is in and of itself controversial to even those who claim to be christians and really requires much more detailed explanation. I highlighted that portion purely due to my limited time available to go into the theology on this issue considering i am dealing with an individual to whom facts dont matter as long as a pre-determined viewpoint is pushed.

1. Clearly Christ was always quick to rebuke error in His disciples, why did He refuse to caution them here if He thought it was blasphemous to worship Him?
2. There are several portions of the bible where Christ EXPLICITLY refers to Himself as the human form of God incarnate. Infact here is a case of the pharisees attacking Him for making such a reference (obviously they understood the import of His parables far better than the charlatans we have here today) - John 5:18Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Note here the strange inference - it is quite clear that the Jews of that time UNDERSTOOD perfectly that calling Himself the "Son" of God was equivalent to refering to Himself as God. Now no one makes the mistake of thinking you are an equal to your earthly father right?

Here is another clear example - John 10:30[b]I and my Father are one[/b]. 31Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

You are free to plug your ears and eyes.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 01, 2012
logicboy:

Ah, Davidylan is a mental gymnast for christianity. He distorts logic beyond its elastic limit.

Do you have any shred of understanding behind cheerleading your fellow atheists here? shame.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 01, 2012
mkmyers45: Wrong...Elijah prayed in baal's presence and what was your basis for such conclusion?...Can you go Saudi and clearly declare Jesus as god's son? you will be toast...

Daft. Not only that, the above follows no logical train of thought.

Elijah prayed on mount carmel in the presence of the altar he erected to the Lord God not before Baal. You might need to recheck your reference scriptures before exposing your stupidity here.

1 Like

Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by logicboy: 4:50pm On May 01, 2012
davidylan:

Do you have any shred of understanding behind cheerleading your fellow atheists here? shame.

Lol, the epic fail of an example that you put forward as an instance that Jesus commanded people to worship him. Jesus did not command anyone in the quote and you half baked commentary does not prove so.

davidylan:

Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 01, 2012
logicboy:

Lol, the epic fail of an example that you put forward as an instance that Jesus commanded people to worship him. Jesus did not command anyone in the quote and you half baked commentary does not prove so.

Of course, what did i expect from the vacuous but empty air.
Re: Atheist @ A Church Wedding! by mazaje(m): 5:25pm On May 01, 2012
davidylan:

The problem isnt the "lack of education" but complete cowardice from those who are staunch, violent atheists on anonymous web forums but exhibit the bravery of trapped mice in real life.

Violent atheist? . . . And which atheist as ever advocated violence here on nairaland?. . .Your delusion is way too ridiculous. . .Have you wandered why Nigerian atheist are very open when they are in europe or america but hide their atheism in Nigeria? What does that tell you about the Nigerian society?. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Where Was My Spirit/soul When I Lost Consciousness? / The Quran Fraud Contradictions Or Great Truths? / Solution To Corona Virus (Day 106)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.