Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,775 members, 7,813,566 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa (9556 Views)

Senate Rejects N130 Daily Feeding For Prison Inmates / Naval Officer Who Died While Fighting Boko Haram Insurgents Buried / Presidential Debates: Senate Rejects Proposal By INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 30, 2012
The Senate Committee on Navy has
asked the Nigerian Navy to stop its
proposed research institute in
Amasoma, Bayelsa State.
Speaking during oversight visit to the
Headquarters of the Central Naval Command at
Yenagoa yesterday, chairman of the committee,
Senator Chris Anyanwu (APGA, Imo) said the
project was a mere ‘emotional investment’ that
will nothing to the operational capacity for the
Navy.
She said “this research institute in Amasoma is just
a waste because it was just a PR move to be
present in Bayelsa. It will not serve any purpose.
“If the National Assembly has been allocating
money to that institute we have to stop it because
it makes no sense to continue to invest in it. The
place is not up to the standards of the Nigerian
Navy.”
Anyanwu said the Navy must desist from engaging
in wasteful projects “we don’t have enough funds
to invest in projects that will not improve the
fighting capacity of our Navy.”
So far, the federal government has already spent
about N240 million for construction of admin
block, personnel quarters, gate house and
generator house at the project site.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=161024:senate-rejects-naval-research-institute-in-bayelsa&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by dnklojang: 4:57pm On Apr 30, 2012
Nland Parrots whr all 'ya at? Afraid 2 criticize d Navy on wasteful ventures?! OMG.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by gregg2: 4:58pm On Apr 30, 2012
So you want us to start shouting and raining
abuses because it is GEJ's home state?

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by lafuria1(m): 5:19pm On Apr 30, 2012
If they like make dem waste all d money plus foreign or local reserves. Wen we separate, we all start from level one. Everywhere u go in nigeria is waste. If d waste is in d north, d south will shout and north will defend, if waste is on d south, d north will shout and south will defend while those wasting d money will continue to spend. I don't care o. Cursed and foolish country.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Baawaa(m): 5:23pm On Apr 30, 2012
Enough of unneeded projects,just to load their bank accounts grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:29pm On Apr 30, 2012
GEJ playing regional politics? Trust Igbo women. They are fearless!
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by coolguy2002: 5:34pm On Apr 30, 2012
ok nice. why did he reject him
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Parnassuss(m): 5:35pm On Apr 30, 2012
Omo, this came a lil too late sha but I still applaud the stop order. N240Mill gone down the latrine. Smh
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by dayokanu(m): 5:38pm On Apr 30, 2012
Another blow to Retardeen Jonathan
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by skullbaba: 5:47pm On Apr 30, 2012
Before it is church, now it is navy and tomorow it will be military,NNPC,aso rock,police headquater..... Guys you can add more. Retarded idiots. Mtseww

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 30, 2012
S@NNiE:
The Senate Committee on Navy has
asked the Nigerian Navy to stop its
proposed research institute in
Amasoma, Bayelsa State.
Speaking during oversight visit to the
Headquarters of the Central Naval Command at
Yenagoa yesterday, chairman of the committee,
Senator Chris Anyanwu (APGA, Imo) said the
project was a mere ‘emotional investment’ that
will nothing to the operational capacity for the
Navy.
Navy.”
Anyanwu said the Navy must desist from engaging
in wasteful projects “we don’t have enough funds
to invest in projects that will not improve the
fighting capacity of our Navy.”
So far, the federal government has already spent
about N240 million for construction of admin
block, personnel quarters, gate house and
generator house at the project site.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=161024:senate-rejects-naval-research-institute-in-bayelsa&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
when the northerners were there they moved projects and infrastructures up north. GEJ we dey ya back!!!!
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by kristiansmart: 6:19pm On Apr 30, 2012
Very nice![img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by kinguwem: 6:21pm On Apr 30, 2012
I'm surprised the way we do things in this country. Who authorized the establishment of the Naval Research Institute? Is Senator Chris Anyanwu a retired naval officer or a security expert? Does her committee have the power to stop such a project? She needs to consult widely before making recommendations.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 6:26pm On Apr 30, 2012
Pay no attention to these senate committee peeps, they are just "forming" cos they need bribe.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by yaksh: 6:29pm On Apr 30, 2012
useless, it will beta 4 u 2 pack ol nigerian army 2 ur state.is ur tym ex-militan
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Mr9iceGuy(m): 6:57pm On Apr 30, 2012
kinguwem: I'm surprised the way we do things in this country. Who authorized the establishment of the Naval Research Institute? Is Senator Chris Anyanwu a retired naval officer or a security expert? Does her committee have the power to stop such a project? She needs to consult widely before making recommendations.

Shut up, don't u see that she heads the cmm'ttee, again shes one of the experts in legislation of laws in senate. If u r not ok with her directive. Go hug transformer
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Mr9iceGuy(m): 6:58pm On Apr 30, 2012
kinguwem: I'm surprised the way we do things in this country. Who authorized the establishment of the Naval Research Institute? Is Senator Chris Anyanwu a retired naval officer or a security expert? Does her committee have the power to stop such a project? She needs to consult widely before making recommendations.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by stebell(m): 7:05pm On Apr 30, 2012
Wen it was proclaimed dat they're going build a refinery in kaduna did any body stop it. Madam anyanwu if yu need de naval institute in ur state den yu will need a big riva near ur place. If GEJ like if shud take every tin to his state i'm solidly behind him
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Onyenna(m): 7:20pm On Apr 30, 2012
Mr9iceGuy:

Shut up, don't u see that she heads the cmm'ttee, again shes one of the experts in legislation of laws in senate. If u r not ok with her directive. Go hug transformer

Mr9iceGuy, I'm not against what she said. But why did she wait until after D̶̲̥̅̊ waste of N240million?..... Were they not D̶̲̥̅̊ ones who approved D̶̲̥̅̊ funds?..... Something is really fishy here!!!!!.....
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by FrankC3: 8:37pm On Apr 30, 2012
Nigerians are just too emotional about issues. Is the quarrel about the need for a naval research institute or is it that there is another state that is more strategic for such a project than Bayelsa. And does the legislature in her oversight capacity, have the constitutional impetus to stop executive projects as this? I think these are more valid questions. If this project will serve any strategic security need of Nigeria, then it should continue. The committee should ensure that the quality of work done is good enough for the appropriated funds.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Obiagu1(m): 9:44pm On Apr 30, 2012
This is why Northern politicians are wiser.
IBB built refinery in Kaduna but he is from Niger State.

Still counting, SS University in Bayelsa, new refinery in Bayelsa, Naval research institute Bayelsa. Which project has gone to other Niger Delta States?

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by gbogboti: 11:05pm On Apr 30, 2012
Obiagu1: This is why Northern politicians are wiser.
IBB built refinery in Kaduna but he is from Niger State.

Still counting, SS University in Bayelsa, new refinery in Bayelsa, Naval research institute Bayelsa. Which project has gone to other Niger Delta States?

I concur with your point absolutely. When some of say the Northerners are foolish, some of us who have travelled all through the North 'll say " I wish my people know" the Northerners are very very good with politics. Take it or leave it. I once showed a colleague @work an aerial close range view of Kaduna, she said "its a lie" and I told her "sit down there". Guy, the northerners aren't as greedy as we are. I 'll give u guys some instances;

When Buhari, from Daura in Katsina was the PTF boss, he made sure he executed mega projects all over the north. Not concentrating in Katsina only. FYI, the northern parts of Nigeria have the best road network.

Ninety percent of the northerners who advocated for a petroleum refinery in Kaduna, where north from Kaduna but from Niger and Sokoto.

National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS), the only on Western and Central Africa was made a reality from IBB but cited in JOS.

The list is quite much.

Down here na only greed, bragging and ranting we sabi.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by lastpage: 12:16am On May 01, 2012
Frank-C:
Nigerians are just too emotional about issues. Is the quarrel about the need for a naval research institute or is it that there is another state that is more strategic for such a project than Bayelsa. And does the legislature in her oversight capacity, have the constitutional impetus to stop executive projects as this? I think these are more valid questions. If this project will serve any strategic security need of Nigeria, then it should continue. The committee should ensure that the quality of work done is good enough for the appropriated funds.
Thank you very much!
I was expecting this sort of analysis from peeps here instead of the usual "tribal rants" we are getting.
It seems we under-rate the "efficacy of RESEARCH" in our daily progress and life in general.
A Naval research institute IS NOT A WASTE OF FUNDS.

For example, most military hardware and new technologies used in warfare/defense and even deterrence, are products of "research institutes".

Even if the Naval Research Institute succeeded in coming up with say for example, a prototype to build "small boats with advanced Navigational facilities on board", it has justified its existence because such boats can be used as Ferries for our inland waterways transportation (as of today, you have to import one), such boats can be used by sea-going fishermen, such boats can be used for "shallow sea" search and rescue, e.t.c.

And l am sure that with the level of intelligence of Nigerians and some strategic foreign collaboration, such research institute can serve as a basis for much development not to mention the amount of jobs it could create (in terms of ancillary services as well)!

I dont care where it is sited, (at least we dont expect it to be like the Nigerian Ports Authority that was moved from Lagos, to a "dry zone" like Abuja!), as long as the "objective of setting it up" is maintained.

By the way, like someone said, the Senator needs to tell the nation why she thinks "its a waste of fund", not just make some silly assertion and then conclude that it should be scrapped.

At this stage, this nation needs a lot more research institutes and the "inventions" of such institutes needs to be funded and commercialized ASAP.
Go to our universities and other tertiary institutions (research Institutes as well) and see how so many 'research products' lie on the shelf, waiting for commercialization!
No wonder we still import Bicycle from India, even the one for our kids, that an ordinary Iron welder can "put together" for peanuts!

How are we going to ever develop with this kind of attitude?

This is not about Jonathan, PDP or Bayelsa state, it is about creating the required infrastructure for future development.
Nuff said.

Lastpage!

Maybe the money should be "diverted into more allowances" for the Sin-a-tor's pocket ?

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by lightheart(m): 6:31am On May 01, 2012
S@NNiE:
Navy.”

Shey na the place of my very own Presido of my own very Nigeria she dey yab lyk dat Well, Goodluck to her

WHO AND WHO AND WHO SIGN MAKE DEM BUILD INSTITUTE FOR BAYELSA?

CAN SHE BACK UP HER CLAIMS DAT SUCH PROJECT IS A WASTE? I BELIEVE SHE MUST HAVE A RESEARCH

AFTER 240 MILLION EYE COME CLEAR

Walai, dem need put her for guardroom!!!
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 7:49am On May 01, 2012
lightheart:

Shey na the place of my very own Presido of my own very Nigeria she dey yab lyk dat Well, Goodluck to her

WHO AND WHO AND WHO SIGN MAKE DEM BUILD INSTITUTE FOR BAYELSA?

CAN SHE BACK UP HER CLAIMS DAT SUCH PROJECT IS A WASTE? I BELIEVE SHE MUST HAVE A RESEARCH

AFTER 240 MILLION EYE COME CLEAR

Walai, dem need put her for guardroom!!!

They need to 'put a civillian in guardroom' because she does not agree with this brainless waste of funds? You need your head examined!

lastpage:
Thank you very much!
I was expecting this sort of analysis from peeps here instead of the usual "tribal rants" we are getting.
It seems we under-rate the "efficacy of RESEARCH" in our daily progress and life in general.
A Naval research institute IS NOT A WASTE OF FUNDS.

For example, most military hardware and new technologies used in warfare/defense and even deterrence, are products of "research institutes".

Even if the Naval Research Institute succeeded in coming up with say for example, a prototype to build "small boats with advanced Navigational facilities on board", it has justified its existence because such boats can be used as Ferries for our inland waterways transportation (as of today, you have to import one), such boats can be used by sea-going fishermen, such boats can be used for "shallow sea" search and rescue, e.t.c.

And l am sure that with the level of intelligence of Nigerians and some strategic foreign collaboration, such research institute can serve as a basis for much development not to mention the amount of jobs it could create (in terms of ancillary services as well)!

I dont care where it is sited, (at least we dont expect it to be like the Nigerian Ports Authority that was moved from Lagos, to a "dry zone" like Abuja!), as long as the "objective of setting it up" is maintained.

By the way, like someone said, the Senator needs to tell the nation why she thinks "its a waste of fund", not just make some silly assertion and then conclude that it should be scrapped.

At this stage, this nation needs a lot more research institutes and the "inventions" of such institutes needs to be funded and commercialized ASAP.
Go to our universities and other tertiary institutions (research Institutes as well) and see how so many 'research products' lie on the shelf, waiting for commercialization!
No wonder we still import Bicycle from India, even the one for our kids, that an ordinary Iron welder can "put together" for peanuts!

How are we going to ever develop with this kind of attitude?

This is not about Jonathan, PDP or Bayelsa state, it is about creating the required infrastructure for future development.
Nuff said.

Lastpage!

Maybe the money should be "diverted into more allowances" for the Sin-a-tor's pocket ?

How are we ever going to develop with YOUR attitude? Our universities lack research centres and research grants and yet you're babbling about this PR project. In saner climes, a large chunk of industry changing research and innovation is done in the Universities!

Sometimes I think Nigerians are cursed with foolishness. This is how Nigerians were joining their 'facebook president' in celebrating the launch of the first 'Nigerian' satellite while no single school in Nigeria offered any courses in advanced aeronautics, rocketry and space technologies.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by blackweaver(m): 7:58am On May 01, 2012
chei! this senate decision is a northern agenda! they don't want a strong military position in the south;
you disagree? oya let them put one in any south-east or south-south state and see if they won't equally shoot it down.

ok i'm just joking, and i sincerely hope i'm wrong too
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Parnassuss(m): 8:08am On May 01, 2012
Frank-C:

A little more pertinent teaser; "What will a Naval research base do?" Nigeria doesn't build ships, I heard of minor assemblages but those aren't even in the Navy. Would it study our coast? If so why does the Navy police, civil defence and coast guard still do that? There is no sensible. Reason for having such an institute from where I am sitting.
Another question u must ask urself is if the facility was so important to begin with, why isn't the Navy upset or raising dust over the institute's untimely demise? After all they are the ones still to be blamed if they don't do their jobs properly so why aren't they agitating for their facility if its such an essential tool to them? Ans, it was just another show piece for Bayelsans to marvel @!
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by lightheart(m): 8:10am On May 01, 2012
texazzpete:

They need to 'put a civillian in guardroom' because she does not agree with this brainless waste of funds? You need your head examined!

ok. head examiner, so which centre have you posted me to? did u just decide to jump over d questions i asked? i can c how many tins jump over ur head, OgaHeadExaminer! ANSWER MY QUESTIONS SHARPALLY!!!!
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by lightheart(m): 8:15am On May 01, 2012
Parnassuss:

A little more pertinent teaser; "What will a Naval research base do?" Nigeria doesn't build ships, I heard of minor assemblages but those aren't even in the Navy. Would it study our coast? If so why does the Navy police, civil defence and coast guard still do that? There is no sensible. Reason for having such an institute from where I am sitting.
Another question u must ask urself is if the facility was so important to begin with, why isn't the Navy upset or raising dust over the institute's untimely demise? After all they are the ones still to be blamed if they don't do their jobs properly so why aren't they agitating for their facility if its such an essential tool to them? Ans, it was just another show piece for Bayelsans to marvel @!

Your questions are right oo....but we need to cut out the roots....WHO GAVE THE GO AHEAD? WHICH COMMITTEE SAT ON THIS AND APPROVED(abi our legislatives no involve for d mata?)? SO 240 MILLION DON GO LIKE THAT AS IN TWO-HURNDRED AND FORTY MILLION NAIRA!!!
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 8:24am On May 01, 2012
lightheart:

ok. head examiner, so which centre have you posted me to? did u just decide to jump over d questions i asked? i can c how many tins jump over ur head, OgaHeadExaminer! ANSWER MY QUESTIONS SHARPALLY!!!!

Why should I answer your brainless questions when you seemingly did not read the article with any appreciable degree of understanding?

The Senator was present on an oversight visit...do i need to define that word for you?
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Nobody: 9:19am On May 01, 2012
It amazes me the way nigerians look at issues, my question goes to d senator and those supporting her. Why is the project a waste? Is it because it is in Bayelsa? Or nigerian navy doesn't need it?. To those asking not any other SS states, which of the so called SS states doesn't have one FG establishment? Is it Port Harcourt, calabar, warri, uyo,etc. In essence what am trying to say is let her educate us why it is a waste of funds....
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 9:44am On May 01, 2012
If there is ever going to be a naval research institute in Nigeria, Bayelsa is a perfect spot for it. And on the question of if Nigerian needs a research institute, the answer is yes why not. finally building a research institute of any kind is never a waste of fund.

(1) (2) (Reply)

3rd Annual Politics Section Hall Of Fame/Shame / Amina Mohammed Wins African Woman In Politics, Public Office Award / "Tinubu Needs Our Prayers", Senator Ekwunife Tells Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.