Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,254 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa (9559 Views)

Senate Rejects N130 Daily Feeding For Prison Inmates / Naval Officer Who Died While Fighting Boko Haram Insurgents Buried / Presidential Debates: Senate Rejects Proposal By INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by aljharem(m): 10:00am On May 01, 2012
texazzpete:

They need to 'put a civillian in guardroom' because she does not agree with this brainless waste of funds? You need your head examined!

How are we ever going to develop with YOUR attitude? Our universities lack research centres and research grants and yet you're babbling about this PR project. In saner climes, a large chunk of industry changing research and innovation is done in the Universities!

Sometimes I think Nigerians are cursed with foolishness. This is how Nigerians were joining their 'facebook president' in celebrating the launch of the first 'Nigerian' satellite while no single school in Nigeria offered any courses in advanced aeronautics, rocketry and space technologies.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by kokoA(m): 10:01am On May 01, 2012
Arosa: If there is ever going to be a naval research institute in Nigeria, Bayelsa is a perfect spot for it. And on the question of if Nigerian needs a research institute, the answer is yes why not. finally building a research institute of any kind is never a waste of fund.
In Nigeria, it is an outright waste of funds. This so called research institute will soon join the quene of the uncountable abandoned projects littered all over the country. Smh!

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by aljharem(m): 10:05am On May 01, 2012
kokoA: In Nigeria, it is an outright waste of funds. This so called research institute will soon join the quene of the [b]uncountable abandoned projects [/b]littered all over the country. Smh!

Thank you !
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:11am On May 01, 2012
S@NNiE:
The Senate Committee on Navy has
asked the Nigerian Navy to stop its
proposed research institute in
Amasoma, Bayelsa State.
Speaking during oversight visit to the
Headquarters of the Central Naval Command at
Yenagoa yesterday, chairman of the committee,
Senator Chris Anyanwu (APGA, Imo) said the
project was a mere ‘emotional investment’ that
will nothing to the operational capacity for the
Navy.
She said “this research institute in Amasoma is just
a waste because it was just a PR move to be
present in Bayelsa. It will not serve any purpose.
“If the National Assembly has been allocating
money to that institute we have to stop it because
it makes no sense to continue to invest in it. The
place is not up to the standards of the Nigerian
Navy.”
Anyanwu said the Navy must desist from engaging
in wasteful projects “we don’t have enough funds
to invest in projects that will not improve the
fighting capacity of our Navy.”
So far, the federal government has already spent
about N240 million for construction of admin
block, personnel quarters, gate house and
generator house at the project site.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=161024:senate-rejects-naval-research-institute-in-bayelsa&catid=1:news&Itemid=2

burt wi get naija delta unifasiti for yenagoa na ? cheesy make dis sanatorrs warrn diasefs o befo Naija delta begin boiz kidnap them fo rasome. grin grin

Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 10:12am On May 01, 2012
When i think of research institute in Naija I always think of NIFOR, countries like Singapore and Malaysia came to us to learn. So just like NIFOR this naval one can work too.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by aljharem(m): 10:18am On May 01, 2012
Arosa: When i think of research institute in Naija I always think of NIFOR, countries like Singapore and Malaysia came to us to learn. So just like NIFOR this naval one can work too.
Are you aware that the method of extracting palm oil has long been improved but NIFOR has not improved her method thus they are no long the highest exporter of palm oil.

A research institute is meant to be researching for better methods not just saying docile.

Malysia is now the second largest exporter of palm oil

On 16 December 2007, Malaysia opened its first biodiesel plant in the state of Pahang, with an annual capacity of 100,000 tonnes, and which also produces byproducts in the form of 4,000 tonnes of palm fatty acid distillate and 12,000 tonnes of pharmaceutical-grade glycerine.[34] Neste Oil of Finland plans to produce 800,000 tonnes of biodiesel per year from Malaysian palm oil in a new Singapore refinery from 2010, which will make it the largest biofuel plant in the world, and 170,000 tpa from its first second-generation plant in Finland from 2007-8, which can refine fuel from a variety of sources. Neste and the Finnish government are using this paraffinic fuel in some public buses in the Helsinki area as a small scale pilot

Even worse Malysia has imporved her technic by using Palm oil as a form of biodiesel and built a refinery to refine palm oil. Nigeria cannot boast the same. Remember they learn all this from us but have now surpassed us.

A complete waste of fund
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 10:34am On May 01, 2012
alj harem: Are you aware that the method of extracting palm oil has long been improved but NIFOR has not improved her method thus they are no long the highest exporter of palm oil.

A research institute is meant to be researching for better methods not just saying docile.

Malysia is now the second largest exporter of palm oil

Even worse Malysia has imporved her technic by using Palm oil as a form of biodiesel and built a refinery to refine palm oil. Nigeria cannot boast the same. Remember they learn all this from us but have now surpassed us.

A complete waste of fund

Its not a complete waste of fund, but I agree that we did not utilize NIFOR to its optimum potential.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by aljharem(m): 10:36am On May 01, 2012
Arosa:

Its not a complete waste of fund, but I agree that we did not utilize NIFOR to its optimum potential.
smiley

Why do you think it is not a waste of fund when a research institute cannot research and improve herself ?

Maybe you might have a point but I would like to hear it first.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 10:42am On May 01, 2012
I know its not a waste cos I have been there, and I have bought improved palm seeds from them, And I can tell you that I'am a satisfied customer. lipsrsealed
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by baysol: 10:50am On May 01, 2012
This has shown that indeed Nigeria is a dead nation. Many decisions of national import in security and well being terms are taken on emotional and nepotistic grounds. I think everyone must begin to bear their father's name now that it is palpably clear we cannot in a million years work together without hidden agenda. look at things that normally unite us as a people like soccer this is fast eroded away and people are now patronising english soccer as if they are british, the centre is fast collapsing and it's a matter of time before the whole contraption called Nigeria finally disintegrate. Even outsiders like Gadafi saw this and are quick to say it, albeit sadonically, because the prophet of doom him self was outlived by Nigeria. Nevertheless, nothing on our part as a people is done to stop this multiple headed monster from growing out of hands. Look at the recent MBGN sponsored by the igbocentric B
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 10:55am On May 01, 2012
Arosa:
I know its not a waste cos I have been there, and I have bought improved palm seeds from them, And I can tell you that I'am a satisfied customer. lipsrsealed

An Oil palm research centre is not nearly on the same level as a 'naval research centre'.

Improvements on palm seeds quality is something that is usually done in universities in saner climes. Not a multi-billion naira 'research centre'. Let the Government fund our Universities instead so you kill two birds with one stone: research and development and competence building in our graduates.

Anyway, since you lot voted for a man that told the entire nation that the only problem facing our Universities is 'poor education', why am i not surprised?
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by baslone: 10:58am On May 01, 2012
A state that has unsuccessfully completed an hotel since the start of democracy grin
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by baysol: 11:04am On May 01, 2012
This has shown that indeed Nigeria is a dead nation. Many decisions of national import in security and well being terms are taken on emotional and nepotistic grounds. I think everyone must begin to bear their father's name now that it is palpably clear we cannot in a million years work together without hidden agenda. look at things that normally unite us as a people like soccer this is fast eroded away and people are now patronising english soccer as if they are british, the centre is fast collapsing and it's a matter of time before the whole contraption called Nigeria finally disintegrate. Even outsiders like Gadafi saw this and are quick to say it, albeit sadonically, because the prophet of doom him self was outlived by Nigeria. Nevertheless, nothing on our part as a people is done to stop this multiple headed monster from growing out of hands. Look at the recent MBGN sponsored by the igbocentric Ben Bruse who use is company to front unpatriotic venture that can only divi us as a Nation. What is with all igbo contenders for the show peice that supposed to be a national affair where is the unity where is the representation. If bigots thinks they are wise in this game no one should be blamed if this back fires. Naval research institute in the middle of no where points to only one thing "hidden agenda". GEJ and his confused people are digging the grave of this country and for themselves.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by member479760: 11:05am On May 01, 2012
we siddon dey look - na demdem agaist demdem! IBO vs IJAW. Ok make ibo carry d thin go SOKOTO na o.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 11:12am On May 01, 2012
texazzpete

An Oil palm research centre is not nearly on the same level as a 'naval research centre'.
I know that, and I also know that Nigerians are capable of running a naval institute effectively.

Improvements on palm seeds quality is something that is usually done in universities in saner climes. Not a multi-billion naira 'research centre'. Let the Government fund our Universities instead so you kill two birds with one stone: research and development and competence building in our graduates.
NIFOR is not just about seeds improvement, I only mentioned it cos that was what I was interested in when I visited them.
I do agree that the Nigerian universities should be upgraded to international standard.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 11:33am On May 01, 2012
baysol: This has shown that indeed Nigeria is a dead nation. Many decisions of national import in security and well being terms are taken on emotional and nepotistic grounds. I think everyone must begin to bear their father's name now that it is palpably clear we cannot in a million years work together without hidden agenda. look at things that normally unite us as a people like soccer this is fast eroded away and people are now patronising english soccer as if they are british, the centre is fast collapsing and it's a matter of time before the whole contraption called Nigeria finally disintegrate. Even outsiders like Gadafi saw this and are quick to say it, albeit sadonically, because the prophet of doom him self was outlived by Nigeria. Nevertheless, nothing on our part as a people is done to stop this multiple headed monster from growing out of hands. Look at the recent MBGN sponsored by the igbocentric Ben Bruse who use is company to front unpatriotic venture that can only divi us as a Nation. What is with all igbo contenders for the show peice that supposed to be a national affair where is the unity where is the representation. If bigots thinks they are wise in this game no one should be blamed if this back fires. Naval research institute in the middle of no where points to only one thing "hidden agenda". GEJ and his confused people are digging the grave of this country and for themselves.
That is what make Bayesa a perfect choice. Naval research should be done in a secret location. I hope the research are going to be on ship building, mini-submarine and rocket lunching. The unique terrain of Bayesa makes it the right place for naval test be carried out.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:53am On May 01, 2012
Kudos to d committee.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Paultue: 12:07pm On May 01, 2012
the importance of research and development cannot be overemphasized in this country. Everything that you see come into being as a result from research and development. having a naval research institute is one of the most brilliant ideas of the policy makers because the benefit will be far reaching, more than what we can imagine for now. Let the project continue madam!!! This is beyond what you can see for now. Nigeria has currently over 54 research institute and we still need more, if we are to achieve the vision 20-20-20 project to be one of the top 20 economies in the world. the Location is best considering the water body around and the Niger-Delta University in that place... Thank You
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by fio(m): 1:16pm On May 01, 2012
lastpage:
Thank you very much!
I was expecting this sort of analysis from peeps here instead of the usual "tribal rants" we are getting.
It seems we under-rate the "efficacy of RESEARCH" in our daily progress and life in general.
A Naval research institute IS NOT A WASTE OF FUNDS.

For example, most military hardware and new technologies used in warfare/defense and even deterrence, are products of "research institutes".

Even if the Naval Research Institute succeeded in coming up with say for example, a prototype to build "small boats with advanced Navigational facilities on board", it has justified its existence because such boats can be used as Ferries for our inland waterways transportation (as of today, you have to import one), such boats can be used by sea-going fishermen, such boats can be used for "shallow sea" search and rescue, e.t.c.

And l am sure that with the level of intelligence of Nigerians and some strategic foreign collaboration, such research institute can serve as a basis for much development not to mention the amount of jobs it could create (in terms of ancillary services as well)!

I dont care where it is sited, (at least we dont expect it to be like the Nigerian Ports Authority that was moved from Lagos, to a "dry zone" like Abuja!), as long as the "objective of setting it up" is maintained.

By the way, like someone said, the Senator needs to tell the nation why she thinks "its a waste of fund", not just make some silly assertion and then conclude that it should be scrapped.

At this stage, this nation needs a lot more research institutes and the "inventions" of such institutes needs to be funded and commercialized ASAP.
Go to our universities and other tertiary institutions (research Institutes as well) and see how so many 'research products' lie on the shelf, waiting for commercialization!
No wonder we still import Bicycle from India, even the one for our kids, that an ordinary Iron welder can "put together" for peanuts!

How are we going to ever develop with this kind of attitude?

This is not about Jonathan, PDP or Bayelsa state, it is about creating the required infrastructure for future development.
Nuff said.

Lastpage!

Maybe the money should be "diverted into more allowances" for the Sin-a-tor's pocket ?

intelligent, the problem is that Nigeria is not settled yet, research comsumes a lot of money and their is alot, i mean, A LOT to be done with such money........but unfortunately the money goes to mr pocket.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by baysol: 1:52pm On May 01, 2012
Arosa:
That is what make Bayesa a perfect choice. Naval research should be done in a secret location. I hope the research are going to be on ship building, mini-submarine and rocket lunching. The unique terrain of Bayesa makes it the right place for naval test be carried out.

I have no qualms for your myopic views as it deviate from the import of my statement as a matter of fact it is a corruption of the stementment you highlighted. You people were crying and shouting high and low fro presidency when the North tried to short change your GEJ we all fought for you. At the end, all your presedential aspiration could muster is the worst president than the 38 years misrule by the North. Who is fooling who, you people have a wicked agenda up your sleeves as your reckless, ugly, urchins, miseducated youth coming out of your glorified almajeri university (as shown in this post). This has proved that the socalled Naval research institute will only produce their likes; gun toting, evil doers who will, murder maim, bomb, currupt, and destroy the environment they reside and claim it's the petroleum companies alone that's involved in pipeline bombing and illegal bunkering. what ship building? what mini-sub? stay in dream land did togo and mend make any of the weapons they use? A hand of destruction cannot be used to build shekana.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 2:12pm On May 01, 2012
baysol:

I have no qualms for your myopic views as it deviate from the import of my statement as a matter of fact it is a corruption of the stementment you highlighted. You people were crying and shouting high and low fro presidency when the North tried to short change your GEJ we all fought for you. At the end, all your presedential aspiration could muster is the worst president than the 38 years misrule by the North. Who is fooling who, you people have a wicked agenda up your sleeves as your reckless, ugly, urchins, miseducated youth coming out of your glorified almajeri university (as shown in this post). This has proved that the socalled Naval research institute will only produce their likes; gun toting, evil doers who will, murder maim, bomb, currupt, and destroy the environment they reside and claim it's the petroleum companies alone that's involved in pipeline bombing and illegal bunkering. what ship building? what mini-sub? stay in dream land did togo and mend make any of the weapons they use? A hand of destruction cannot be used to build shekana.

After taking the time to carefully reading your incoherent post, I realized that you are a bigot. So there is no point arguing with you.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by jaybee(f): 10:26am On May 02, 2012
lastpage:
Thank you very much!
I was expecting this sort of analysis from peeps here instead of the usual "tribal rants" we are getting.
It seems we under-rate the "efficacy of RESEARCH" in our daily progress and life in general.
A Naval research institute IS NOT A WASTE OF FUNDS.

For example, most military hardware and new technologies used in warfare/defense and even deterrence, are products of "research institutes".

Even if the Naval Research Institute succeeded in coming up with say for example, a prototype to build "small boats with advanced Navigational facilities on board", it has justified its existence because such boats can be used as Ferries for our inland waterways transportation (as of today, you have to import one), such boats can be used by sea-going fishermen, such boats can be used for "shallow sea" search and rescue, e.t.c.

And l am sure that with the level of intelligence of Nigerians and some strategic foreign collaboration, such research institute can serve as a basis for much development not to mention the amount of jobs it could create (in terms of ancillary services as well)!

I dont care where it is sited, (at least we dont expect it to be like the Nigerian Ports Authority that was moved from Lagos, to a "dry zone" like Abuja!), as long as the "objective of setting it up" is maintained.

By the way, like someone said, the Senator needs to tell the nation why she thinks "its a waste of fund", not just make some silly assertion and then conclude that it should be scrapped.

At this stage, this nation needs a lot more research institutes and the "inventions" of such institutes needs to be funded and commercialized ASAP.
Go to our universities and other tertiary institutions (research Institutes as well) and see how so many 'research products' lie on the shelf, waiting for commercialization!
No wonder we still import Bicycle from India, even the one for our kids, that an ordinary Iron welder can "put together" for peanuts!

How are we going to ever develop with this kind of attitude?

This is not about Jonathan, PDP or Bayelsa state, it is about creating the required infrastructure for future development.
Nuff said.

Lastpage!

Maybe the money should be "diverted into more allowances" for the Sin-a-tor's pocket ?

Well, the issue here is not as simple as you are postulating. we are way ahead of what you are struggling to articulate.

we are ruminating on the driver, the motive of this white elephant projects. the president is just been too simplistic and superficial. he is siting these projects in where he perceive as his home. he is a poor politician. the whole of niger delta are singing his praise not minding his unacceptably dismal performance. why only his state and local government and village?

[size=13pt]he has shown clearly that he is doing it to please his kinsmen and not to develop the country. that is the crux of the matter. if it were for the development of the country, i'm sure no sensible individual will raise an issue.[/size]

most of these projects the president is locating in his village are duplications of existing ones. for example we have a naval research center in Victoria Island http://www.navdock-wilmotpoint.com/. i was there last year and saw their operations. they are achieving http://www.navdock-wilmotpoint.com/achievement.htm quietly. just like other institutions, they are also facing challenges of funding amongst others. why these duplications when the available ones are not optimally catered for?

A naval research institute may be required in Nigeria; but the motive must not be to satisfy the ego of "i did it in my village, local government, state or region". otherwise, its just a waste of scarce resources.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by lastpage: 6:51am On May 03, 2012
texazzpete: How are we ever going to develop with YOUR attitude? Our universities lack research centres and research grants and yet you're babbling about this PR project. In saner climes, a large chunk of industry changing research and innovation is done in the Universities!

Sometimes I think Nigerians are cursed with foolishness. This is how Nigerians were joining their 'facebook president' in celebrating the launch of the first 'Nigerian' satellite while no single school in Nigeria offered any courses in advanced aeronautics, rocketry and space technologies.

Lastpage!:
Go to our universities and other tertiary institutions
(research Institutes as well) and see how so many 'research products' lie on the shelf, waiting for commercialization!

The above is from my Post!

Is it that you just want to run foul-mouthed or you need Recommended-Glasses?
Truly, some Nigerians are cursed with not just foolishness but "blindness and dysentery of the mouth" as well! grin grin grin wink

Lastpage!
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by lastpage: 7:04am On May 03, 2012
jaybee:

Well, the issue here is not as simple as you are postulating. we are way ahead of what you are struggling to articulate.

we are ruminating on the driver, the motive of this white elephant projects. the president is just been too simplistic and superficial. he is siting these projects in where he perceive as his home. he is a poor politician. the whole of niger delta are singing his praise not minding his unacceptably dismal performance. why only his state and local government and village?

[size=13pt]he has shown clearly that he is doing it to please his kinsmen and not to develop the country. that is the crux of the matter. if it were for the development of the country, i'm sure no sensible individual will raise an issue.[/size]

most of these projects the president is locating in his village are duplications of existing ones. for example we have a naval research center in Victoria Island http://www.navdock-wilmotpoint.com/. i was there last year and saw their operations. they are achieving http://www.navdock-wilmotpoint.com/achievement.htm quietly. just like other institutions, they are also facing challenges of funding amongst others. why these duplications when the available ones are not optimally catered for?

A naval research institute may be required in Nigeria; but the motive must not be to satisfy the ego of "i did it in my village, local government, state or region". otherwise, its just a waste of scarce resources.

I agree with a lot of what you said above. Duplication and inadequate funding of such research institutes is very unfortunate, to put it diplomatically.
My own "perspective" is that due to the peculiar nature of the N.Delta, (compared to "desert" places in the North or Rocky places like Ekiti shocked , A Naval Research Center looks more plausible in such area like Bayelsa State, as we have in Lagos.

The challenge therefore is to ensure that such research centers are well funded and their "output" further developed and put to good use for the benefit of the country.
As for GEJ and his "blind-man tactics", l use to think that Nigeria has had its "worse President" when we had OBJ!
But when Yar Ardua came in and began "acting Up" l said Yes, we have reached "bottom" and we can only get better!

But when we tasted just 6months of Jonathan, l begin to wonder if we are perpetually cursed with educated but ignorant Presidents!

God, What did we do to deserve these kind of Leaders?
Okay, we apologize if it is our own doing but P-L-E-A-S-E, we need just one more miracle (Abacha was one, UMYA was second! shocked )

Lastpage!
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 7:13am On May 03, 2012
lastpage:

The above is from my Post!

Is it that you just want to run foul-mouthed or you need Recommended-Glasses?
Truly, some Nigerians are cursed with not just foolishness but "blindness and dysentery of the mouth" as well! grin grin grin wink

Lastpage!

LMAO!!!

Which Nigerian University? Which research projects? Are you sure you've ever seen the four walls of a Nigerian tertiary institution before?

This brainless attempt to sugarcoat the dearth of true research centres in our Universities is astounding. Or...are you GEJ in disguise?

Oya, give several examples of the 'many research products' lying around, just 'waiting for commercialization'.

Go and read online what even high school kids in saner climes are doing...instead of babbling about 'commercialization' of poorly trained students final year projects.
Re: Senate Rejects Naval Research Institute In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 10:09am On May 03, 2012
texazzpete:

LMAO!!!

Which Nigerian University? Which research projects? Are you sure you've ever seen the four walls of a Nigerian tertiary institution before?

This brainless attempt to sugarcoat the dearth of true research centres in our Universities is astounding. Or...are you GEJ in disguise?

Oya, give several examples of the 'many research products' lying around, just 'waiting for commercialization'.

Go and read online what even high school kids in saner climes are doing...instead of babbling about 'commercialization' of poorly trained students final year projects.

You can say that again,I have even started learning the basics of robotic from Youtube after i saw what our neighbour's kids can do do with servos. embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

National Assembly Workers Issue Strike Notice Over Minimum Wage / Terrorists Kill 22, Kidnap 67 In Katsina, Zamfara, Set Houses Ablaze / Jonathan To Commission Enugu Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.