Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,640 members, 7,809,400 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? (18767 Views)

Is PYTHON Better Than PHP In Web Development? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 2:59pm On May 03, 2012
webdezzi: haha, thread already escalated!

@OP i am not going to try to convince you instead state my own experience.
I use PHP, Java and Python

from my experience with all 3, i "believe" python has no match.
I am yet to use python on the web but i can see right through why Seun is a python enthusiast.

This is fact and true, Python gets the job done, faster and efficiently.

in java, to print a word, you will have to

in python

I worked on a project recently where i had to do python and Java side by side,
I can recollect going back to declare variables before using them in java whereas in python, i can use a new variable on the fly, no object casting like you have to do every time you fetch an object in ArrayList and other containers in java.

I read someone said python aint clean, Please go and learn it.
It is so clean, it looks like an art work, Most of what you do in python will fit in your head easily

in python your code MUST looks like this

in java, you are permitted to code like this, like a mad man

in python, i can have more than 1 class in a single file, unlike java where you Must create a new file for a new class
the beauty is this, you can have 4 or five small cool classes in a file tucked somewhere, just import that file and you are good to go
very good when developing a large application with several classes

you cant get all am saying until you try python out.
If you dont intend to stop coding in your current language, then dont try this cos you wont go back.
as for mutiple classes in a single file, i guess you know about Java Inner classes, as for declaring variables on the fly? Dont even go there, Python dynamic and weak typin is to me a minus(-), cos sometimes the variable doesn't have the data type you think it has. I think to reduce bug, any programming language should be static typed. If you want variable sum to store integers, why in a later part assign it string. This has been proven to make dynamic languages not just Python to generate error during use easily cause you have to remember the expected data type of variables, i dont even like the fact that PHP has weak typing, u can do $i = 3; then $i = 'hello';
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 3:11pm On May 03, 2012

@OP i am not going to try to convince you instead state my own experience.
I use PHP, Java and Python

from my experience with all 3, i "believe" python has no match.
I am yet to use python on the web but i can see right through why Seun is a python enthusiast.

This is fact and true, Python gets the job done, faster and efficiently.

in java, to print a word, you will have to

in python

I worked on a project recently where i had to do python and Java side by side,
I can recollect going back to declare variables before using them in java whereas in python, i can use a new variable on the fly, no object casting like you have to do every time you fetch an object in ArrayList and other containers in java.

I read someone said python aint clean, Please go and learn it.
It is so clean, it looks like an art work, Most of what you do in python will fit in your head easily

in python your code MUST looks like this

in java, you are permitted to code like this, like a mad man

in python, i can have more than 1 class in a single file, unlike java where you Must create a new file for a new class
the beauty is this, you can have 4 or five small cool classes in a file tucked somewhere, just import that file and you are good to go

you cant get all am saying until you try python out.
If you dont intend to stop coding in your current language, then dont try this cos you wont go back.
you forgot that Java is a pure OOP language, can you give me a python version of println hello world. Besides this instance to me is not enough reason to recommend a langauge for someone, I also program in Scala, you can also do println 'hello world'. That doesn't mean i will come here and tell someone is Scala or nothing. I believe someone should be given examples of each language, their strength and weakness infact the person should learn each langauge atleast variable declaration, syntax etc, language construct then pick the suitable one. Some might say that Java is verbose because of curly braces etc but the truth is that i dont face codes without curly braces cos it's easy to get lost. I know number of times i used IDE's curly brace matching feature to even know what is what, no matter how you nest and clean up your code, once it gets to 100, thousands lines of code, you need a marker.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 03, 2012
you can write applications that will out perform C/C++ speed and performance in any language.
your background and experience with the language being used is what am referring to (dont execute me yet!)

recently in python, using QT for my GUI, I needed to populate a searchable tree widget with records, aim is to narrow down the content of the tree widget down to just the search match.
I have been testing and getting my widget updated by deleting and inserting afresh. This became a bad approach when records climbed up to 2000. The GUI hangs for like 0.5 seconds
then i redesigned the system to have a temporary placeholder(List) to hold the data, so i searched through the list items and compare against search phrase. and update the tree widget accordingly.
GUI performance improved, so there comes a new problem when i cranked up the records to 120,000. my cpu peaked during the comparison
the current solution came from the docs. there a builtin method that allows you hide treewidgetitems which ended my worries.
I hid treewidget item that dont match instead of deleting and reinserting.

Most of the time, how fast an application performs lies in the hands of the programmer.
ignoring docs, little experience, laziness, carelessness all play a big role in the overall result.

when you run benchmarks, it is obvious some languages will out perform others with fraction of seconds, but will you write all your codes in both languages and benchmark each line?
No. you will only be coding with great enthusiasm that your codes will be blazing only to have your logic kill the performance.
Logic is key.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 03, 2012
megaplaza: you forgot that Java is a pure OOP language, can you give me a python version of println hello world. Besides this instance to me is not enough reason to recommend a langauge for someone, I also program in Scala, you can also do println 'hello world'. That doesn't mean i will come here and tell someone is Scala or nothing. I believe someone should be given examples of each language, their strength and weakness infact the person should learn each langauge atleast variable declaration, syntax etc, language construct then pick the suitable one. Some might say that Java is verbose because of curly braces etc but the truth is that i dont face codes without curly braces cos it's easy to get lost. I know number of times i used IDE's curly brace matching feature to even know what is what, no matter how you nest and clean up your code, once it gets to 100, thousands lines of code, you need a marker.

i quoted that example to support python as a rapid application development language.

megaplaza: as for mutiple classes in a single file, i guess you know about Java Inner classes, as for declaring variables on the fly? Dont even go there, Python dynamic and weak typin is to me a minus(-), cos sometimes the variable doesn't have the data type you think it has. I think to reduce bug, any programming language should be static typed. If you want variable sum to store integers, why in a later part assign it string. This has been proven to make dynamic languages not just Python to generate error during use easily cause you have to remember the expected data type of variables, i dont even like the fact that PHP has weak typing, u can do $i = 3; then $i = 'hello';

thats cos the interpreter does the type conversion bro!
thats no point.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 3:36pm On May 03, 2012
webdezzi:

i quoted that example to support python as a rapid application development language.

thats cos the interpreter does the type conversion bro!
thats no point.
ok i get your point, just trying to say that Java is pure OOP, if you write python OOP code i doubt println 'hello world' will be enough. I think i have achieved somethingg with this thread, now newbies can go through it, do google search, trying out some of the languages mentioned and pick which to learn. I still think PHP beats python in terms of rapid web development especially if you dont use framework, same way i think Java EE is an overkill for small or medium scale web app even though am a Java developer and i use Java for desktop app evelopment. I intend to use Scala for future Large scale web app developement using Lift framework. Thanks for your comment. Cheers.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 03, 2012
megaplaza: ok i get your point, just trying to say that Java is pure OOP, if you write python OOP code i doubt println 'hello world' will be enough. I think i have achieved somethingg with this threadCheers, no newbies can go through it and with few google search, trying out some of the languages mentioned then pick which to learn. I still think PHP beats python in terms of web development rapid development, same way i think Java EE is an overkill for small or medium scale web app even, even though i use Java for desktop app evelopment. I intend to use Scala for Large scale web app developement using Lift framework. Thanks for your comment.

php codes written by Rasmus Lerdorf will definitely beat my python code, same way python written by guido van rossum will beat your php code.
cos the experiences we all have may not match.

comparing a language against another is really not worth it since the programmer's experience and logical reasoning is what counts.
except like yea, this available method saves time, that syntax makes life more easy.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 4:28pm On May 03, 2012
webdezzi:

php codes written by Rasmus Lerdorf will definitely beat my python code, same way python written by guido van rossum will beat your php code.
cos the experiences we all have may not match.

comparing a language against another is really not worth it since the programmer's experience and logical reasoning is what counts.
except like yea, this available method saves time, that syntax makes life more easy.
You dont even get my point about the typing stuff. Have you ever passed a variable to a function and when you run it it pops up error that parameter type passed doesn't match expected parameter type, this will be detect in java while you are still writing the code but in PHP and even Python, you wont find out until you run the code, thats a minus for dynamic typed langauge. And finally let me make it clear, am not comparing Java, PHP and Python. My point is when newbies ask questions about what to learn, we should just recommend langauges and how to get started let the newbie pick what to learn cause like you said the logical reasoning and experience is what matters, i have said this when i gave an instance of what happen on stackoverflow where a python programmer critised PHP for not having a function for extracting file extension maybe he wasn't aware of PHP pathinfo($filename, PATH_EXTENSION_INFO) or so function in PHP and he was busy saying trash about PHP. Some people might see it and buy his idea. Which is false. Same way i said python programmers promote python saying it has Functional Programming support while PHP doesn't but PHP 5.3(am sure) supports Functional programming and has functions such as mapreduce, list construct, closure(anonymous functions), defining functions inside a function, even callback functions and passing a function definition to a variable then call the function using the variable name etc. I rest my case.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by lordZOUGA(m): 4:36pm On May 03, 2012
if am looking to learn a new language... There is nothing on this thread that is going to move me towards learning python..
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 03, 2012
megaplaza:
You dont even get my point about the typing stuff. Have you ever passed a variable to a function and when you run it it pops up error that parameter type passed doesn't match expected parameter type, this will be detect in java while you are still writing the code but in PHP and even Python, you wont find out until you run the code, thats a minus for dynamic typed langauge. And finally let me make it clear, am not comparing Java, PHP and Python. My point is when newbies ask questions about what to learn, we should just recommend langauges and how to get started let the newbie pick what to learn cause like you said the logical reasoning and experience is what matters, i have said this when i gave an instance of what happen on stackoverflow where a python programmer critised PHP for not having a function for extracting file extension maybe he wasn't aware of PHP pathinfo($filename, PATH_EXTENSION_INFO) or so function in PHP and he was busy saying trash about PHP. Some people might see it and buy his idea. Which is false. Same way i said python programmers promote python saying it has Functional Programming support while PHP doesn't but PHP 5.3(am sure) supports Functional programming and has functions such as mapreduce, list construct, closure(anonymous functions), defining functions inside a function, even callback functions and passing a function definition to a variable then call the function using the variable name etc. I rest my case.

do you package non-tested code.
when you run it, you get the error, then fix it, same way you get syntax errors.
if you expect an int and your user passes in a string, you need to validate user input.

i rest here, i believe anyone looking to raise a topic like this need to speak both languages.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Seun(m): 7:19pm On May 03, 2012
The main difference between Python and PHP is that the Python BDFL, Guido Van Rossum, really cares about making Python a language that is a joy to use. When new features are suggested, there's a debate about the various ways to implement them, and Guido will always choose the most simple, elegant approach that's easy to understand. If there's no elegant & simple way to implement the feature, Guido will simply reject it or delay the decision until a better approach is discovered.

Python is a language controlled by a programmer with great taste, who values simplicity and logical consistency because he sees himself as a regular programmer, not an uber-geek. Twice - during the transition to Python 2, and during the transition to Python 3 - the Python community has broken backward compatibility in order to make Python even better. Every time a new feature is added to Python, I find myself wondering how I ever lived without it. The developers of Python care about making programmers happy!

Personally, I'm a big fan of Guido's philosophy. I love writing programs that are straightforward and elegant. I don't like writing convoluted "codes" that only wizards can understand. Python makes it easy for me to write simple and elegant programs that work very well, because the language is simple and elegant too. Its dynamic typing is great for web programming and exploratory coding.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 7:32pm On May 03, 2012
webdezzi:

do you package non-tested code.
when you run it, you get the error, then fix it, same way you get syntax errors.
if you expect an int and your user passes in a string, you need to validate user input.

i rest here, i believe anyone looking to raise a topic like this need to speak both languages.

lol ofcourse u validate all user input, you might even be the one to override the type of a variable in ur code, the fact that vaibale i can be int then string without error being generated is quite confusing and this is a minus for dynamic typed languages not just Python. look at Scala it's static typed but you dont have to declare variable like public int sum =0; u do val sum = 0, it automatically detetcs the type int but you are not allowed to change sum again. If i declare a function variable as int, i dont have to worry about mistakenly changing the data type by assigning it to say string later in the program. I should program in both? through my 4 years in school i have been able to write atleast basic programs in FORTRAN, GWBASIC, PASCAL, C/C++, PHP, Javascript, Java, Python(yes python surprised), C#.net, VB, VB.net, ASP.net/ASP, Scala, Clojure, Haskell, etc, oh i forgot i even tried Erlang, some i learnt and used only for a week. I have my reasons for picking PHP, Java and Scala(recently), maybe am not that good in python infact am not good but i haeython IDLE and books on my laptop, i look at it everyday, sometimes i load the IDLE and write some python codes but it doesn't apeal to me to even decide to go deeper. Scala construct is close to Python's, etc i dont even like the code organisation, using one line to get a result like listVariable.reduceLeft(_+_) give u sum of a list of values, listvariable.map(_*2) will return a new list with values that are multiples of 2. (1 to 50).sum gives u the sum of the range these are even simple one liners that does magic in scala. etc. It's was very confusing but i decided to learn Scala because of It's Actors support for concurrency programming. Easy integration with Java code/library and it's easier atleast to me than Clojure(very close to lisp). My point is learn languages especially for beginner, it won't hurt, it will even increase ur knowledge of programming, then pick the ones that suit u and ur style then go deeper in it/them. my way of thinking about programs changed after learning all these languages. Now i see alogrithmic solutions not programming language dependent solutions,
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by AZeD1(m): 8:14pm On May 03, 2012
Megaplaza
I get your point about the whole issue(reason for starting the thread)and the best advice in my opinion is to use which ever language your friends use because when ever you run into problems your friends are the ones likely to help you.
I learnt python before php and i love the language but i've never used python for anything proffesional cos the two places i've worked use vb.net and php.
I intend to do something with python soonest wink

1 Like

Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 9:03pm On May 03, 2012
A-ZeD:
Megaplaza
I get your point about the whole issue(reason for starting the thread)and the best advice in my opinion is to use which ever language your friends use because when ever you run into problems your friends are the ones likely to help you.
I learnt python before php and i love the language but i've never used python for anything proffesional cos the two places i've worked use vb.net and php.
I intend to do something with python soonest wink
thanks, goodluck with whatever language you pick. Atleast you understand my point which is for instance, i use PHP and love it but i wont use PHP GTK for GUI programming, not that its bad but i think PHP is for web development. That doesn't mean someone won't use PHP GTK zetcode.com/gui/phpgtktutorial/introduction/ for GUI app development. PHP CLI enables it to be used for shell scripting, running from command prompt and development of GUI app but i only use it for rapid web app developement and Java for desktop app development. Know about things then pick what suits ur style or ur need.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Seun(m): 11:03pm On May 03, 2012
@megaplaza: Python is a general purpose programming language. It can do web, desktop, CLI, whatever, though it's rather slow. The problem with starting with a specialized web programming languages is that, when you need to do something outside the web, you'll have to learn an entirely new language. That's a steep learning curve. You end up limiting yourself to the web in order to avoid that. The problem with PHP specifically is that, even in web programming, it struggles to do things Python does elegantly & effortlessly.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by spikesC(m): 12:36am On May 04, 2012
seun is still commiting the crime. The OP wants a specific example,not something generalised. I can say that PHP is better than python because it does what python stuggles to do,now that needs an explanation and few examples.

Now, PHP in its simplistic form is a language meant for beginners. New programmers who started with PHP mostly end up on the web part. It is very easy to pickup and has so many functions that performs almost everything. The problem with PHP is that, it is not static and doesn't follow a proper coding style. They accept external functions and classes without much review. Infact PHP is a does-it-work language. I wonder if the people adding those functions ever read the documentations,but on the other hand it might be good. There're so many functions that does the same thing and even more are been added. The PHP developers are die hard backward compatibility keepers. If they remove most of those functions, 80% of live websites will go offline. Secondly, there libraries, people say that they have so many classed that actually does the same thing. But what they don't know is that people have preferences. So many xml parsers abi, well some of them are more advanced that the others. I have a friend who uses regular expressions in all text searching instead of the normal string functions. These are all personal preferences.
To me, use what will get the job done on time, efficient,reliable and fast. I would never use PHP to develop enterprise desktop apps. It can do it but not suitable for it. So,for my fellow developers, go learn new languages and beef up your resumes.

To the guy that gave an example of python's print('Hello world')
PHP has echo 'Hello world';
Pls,which one is shorter
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 1:40am On May 04, 2012
Seun: @megaplaza: Python is a general purpose programming language. It can do web, desktop, CLI, whatever, though it's rather slow. The problem with starting with a specialized web programming languages is that, when you need to do something outside the web, you'll have to learn an entirely new language. That's a steep learning curve. You end up limiting yourself to the web in order to avoid that. The problem with PHP specifically is that, even in web programming, it struggles to do things Python does elegantly & effortlessly.
@seun thanks for your comment but stating those things that PHP struggles to do that Python does elegantly and effortlessly will be great.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 1:52am On May 04, 2012
spikes C: seun is still commiting the crime. The OP wants a specific example,not something generalised. I can say that PHP is better than python because it does what python stuggles to do,now that needs an explanation and few examples.

Now, PHP in its simplistic form is a language meant for beginners. New programmers who started with PHP mostly end up on the web part. It is very easy to pickup and has so many functions that performs almost everything. The problem with PHP is that, it is not static and doesn't follow a proper coding style. They accept external functions and classes without much review. Infact PHP is a does-it-work language. I wonder if the people adding those functions ever read the documentations,but on the other hand it might be good. There're so many functions that does the same thing and even more are been added. The PHP developers are die hard backward compatibility keepers. If they remove most of those functions, 80% of live websites will go offline. Secondly, there libraries, people say that they have so many classed that actually does the same thing. But what they don't know is that people have preferences. So many xml parsers abi, well some of them are more advanced that the others. I have a friend who uses regular expressions in all text searching instead of the normal string functions. These are all personal preferences.
To me, use what will get the job done on time, efficient,reliable and fast. I would never use PHP to develop enterprise desktop apps. It can do it but not suitable for it. So,for my fellow developers, go learn new languages and beef up your resumes.

Pls,which one is shorter
In addition to ur statement 'go and learn new languages and beef up ur resume' i'll add learn atleats one language from each programming paradigm, like a procedural language, an OOP language, scripting language, Functional language, etc even if you dont use it, the idea and concepts learnt will be help. for instance, i had a need for an embedded database for a desktop app that i developed. I didn't want to use sqlite cos it doesn't mean d demand without stress, if i must use mysql(which i use always) i'll have to embedded the Mysql embedded driver which is about 10mb(driver alone), i researched and found H2(1MB driver size yet has same features that mysql has) and used it, i spent few days to master it and integrate it into my java desktop app. That doesn't mean if 2mao someone asks me which database should i use i'll say H2. Before picking any technology or language, try available options and pick the best that suits your need. In the book seven languages in seven weeks(not the exact name sha), the author stated that beginners should spend a week to try out languages Haskell(functional), Java(OOP), Prlog(inductive/logic) etc then pick one based on his/her needs. One the person will have knowledge of programming paradigms etc. When i learn programming with Java, i thot that the authors style of coding(most) are defined in Java, then i read another Java book, Java became clearer to me, then i read a VB book for like a week, i started thinking in terms of algorithm and solutions not in terms of programming language.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Seun(m): 5:24am On May 04, 2012
megaplaza: @seun thanks for your comment but stating those things that PHP struggles to do that Python does elegantly and effortlessly will be great.
- GUI programming.
- Sysadmin scripting.
- Programming for embedded systems.
- Building a shared components like caches for use in multi-threaded web programs.
- Processing background tasks.
- Building a standalone web server.
- Exploratory programming using a REPL.
- Programming with co-routines and lightweight threads.
- Software projects that make use of exotic architectures.

I'm not an expert in PHP, but the basic idea is that Python, as a general-purpose programming language like Java, C#, or C++, is designed to handle any type of programming task - provided your performance requirements are not extreme - while PHP evolved as a web templating language and struggles with anything outside that narrow area. It can be made to work for other things, though.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 7:30am On May 04, 2012
Seun:
- GUI programming.
- Sysadmin scripting.
- Building a shared components like caches for use in multi-threaded web programs.

I'm not an expert in PHP, but the basic idea is that Python, as a general-purpose programming language like Java, C#, or C++, is designed to handle any type of programming task - provided your performance requirements are not extreme - while PHP evolved as a web templating language and struggles with anything outside that narrow area. It can be made to work for other things, though.
@seun thanks for pointing them out but PHP can equally be used for these things like
-PHP GTK for GUI programming.
- sysadmin scripting tru PHP CLI(Command Line Interface)
-Build Thread App.
-Background processing through PHP exec() function (thats if what u mean by background processing is same as what i think).
-Web Server- i think PHP can be used to create a socket that listens for connection at a particular port and hence can serve web pages.
- PHP can equally be used to do REPL.
- as for exotic architecture etc i don't really get what you mean.
Finally, i what i understand is that PHP can equally do whatever Python can do, it's a matter of how good one is, though it might be harder to achieve in PHP, same goes for Python, PHP can be better in some areas, so my verdict is that beginners should spend a week to learn both and even other languages, consider the part they want to follow then pick the best. Most of these features wont even be used by a programmer. For instance, how many Nairaland programmers does sysadmin scripting(No Offence intended), how many people need standalone web server etc. whether Python or PHP focus on algorithm design and learn programming paradigms. Cheer. Once again, Seun, thanks for pointing out these things. This is what i expected and some people were busy telling me python enables println 'hello world'.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by pipszilla(m): 10:06am On May 04, 2012
excuse me please, this may be one of the most stupid question ever but can somebody please tell me how to copy a file from a directory e.g. "my document", to another directory e.g. "desktop", using "power shell" or cmd?
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by adetunrayo(f): 4:26pm On May 04, 2012
i think say na python as in snake
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 4:35pm On May 04, 2012
I do have some minor annoyances with this language though, I must say.

I don't like how I write len(object) rather than object.length or something.

The former doesn't feel very object oriented undecided

I also dislike that parenthesis are required for print() statements in python3.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 5:33pm On May 04, 2012
ekt_bear: I do have some minor annoyances with this language though, I must say.

I don't like how I write len(object) rather than object.length or something.

The former doesn't feel very object oriented undecided

I also dislike that parenthesis are required for print() statements in python3.
lol c'mon even parenthesis, soon you the computer 'll compile your thought since you dont wanna write anything lol
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 5:51pm On May 04, 2012
Hehe grin

It is just really annoying...I dislike unnecessary extra typing.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 6:45pm On May 04, 2012
List comprehensions are really sweet though. Definitely a nice feature.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 04, 2012
Seun:
- GUI programming.
- Sysadmin scripting.

i was expecting the next post to sound like "havent you heard of php GTK" never heard of this or that
it's pointless cos all these languages will do all these.

@megaplaza: Python is a general purpose programming language. It can do web, desktop, CLI, whatever, though it's rather slow. The problem with starting with a specialized web programming languages is that, when you need to do something outside the web, you'll have to learn an entirely new language. That's a steep learning curve. You end up limiting yourself to the web in order to avoid that. The problem with PHP specifically is that, even in web programming, it struggles to do things Python does elegantly & effortlessly.

compared to what language?
when running benchmarks, Logic used, OOP approach or plain procedural come up with different results for different languages all the time.
a programmer's ability to not just come up with different approaches to a problem but discern which is most efficient is key since you are not going to benchmark every line of your production code.

It is just really annoying...I dislike unnecessary extra typing.
no boring braces, no semicolons, no dollar sign, variable initializing, yet you dislike extra typing.
dont worry, guido will soon port python to your native Ijebu dialect.

Pls,which one is shorter

i was referring to python's conciseness against java, it still beats php however you present it.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Fayimora(m): 10:12pm On May 04, 2012
Errr that's not entirely true. Depends on the access modifier used. Basically, you can but you would have to take A LOT into consideration.

Just for confirmation, see the following:
this code runs fine!
this code also compile with no problems
Same goes for this code
The problem only arises in this code

That's the simplest example I could think of. There are other instances too. wink

Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 7:10am On May 05, 2012
Matplotlib is frikkin awesome.

They seem to have stolen borrowed the Matlab API.

Really cool..makes the transition easy.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Nobody: 8:53am On May 05, 2012
Errr that's not entirely true. Depends on the access modifier used. Basically, you can but you would have to take A LOT into consideration.

Just for confirmation, see the following:
this code runs fine!
this code also compile with no problems
Same goes for this code
The problem only arises in this code

That's the simplest example I could think of. There are other instances too.

Thanks for the correction.

@ekt_bear
somehow, i downloaded Matplotlib for use in my project 2 days ago.
I got the unofficial version for my Py3 project.
the first example i ran, the pie chart demo sent chills down my spine.
awesome, can wait to get to the part where i'll need it.

i guess you havent seen the kick-ass wmi module
http://timgolden.me.uk/python/wmi/cookbook.html
checkout twisted too -> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 4:07pm On May 05, 2012
Chapters 1-4 of Dive Into Python are pretty worth it: http://getpython3.com/diveintopython3/

But I think beyond that, someone who is already familiar with another programming language is best off just starting to write code.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by javascript101: 11:55am On May 16, 2012
@ lordzouga pls do you have any comprehensive video tutorials on after effects expressions or the ebook after effects expressions by M.Geduld. Thanks in anticipation of ur kind response

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills / How Much Do Web Developers Earn In Nigeria? / C++ Tutorial For Beginners... Part 1...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.