Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? (18766 Views)

Is PYTHON Better Than PHP In Web Development? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by lordZOUGA(m): 3:13pm On May 16, 2012
javascript101: @ lordzouga pls do you have any comprehensive video tutorials on after effects expressions or the ebook after effects expressions by M.Geduld. Thanks in anticipation of ur kind response
do you mean tutorials on how to write scripts for After Effects or video tutorial for After Effects in general
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by javascript101: 10:18pm On May 16, 2012
Wow I got a quick response, thanks. I have general tutorials on AE.What I mean is tutorials on how to write scripts for After Effects, thanks.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by lordZOUGA(m): 12:17am On May 17, 2012
javascript101: Wow I got a quick response, thanks. I have general tutorials on AE.What I mean is tutorials on how to write scripts for After Effects, thanks.
you have to visit adobe's site. they have an online manual on how to use AE objects and I think its available as a downloadable pdf
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by javascript101: 8:06am On May 17, 2012
Ok. Thanks a lot. I'll checkirout. Thumbs up
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 2:17am On May 20, 2012
Pythonistas, how would you suggest making this less ugly?

So I have a function which, given an integer start that represents a Tuesday for a month, returns the dates of all tuesdays and thursdays after and including that for a month.

For example, for the month of May, May 8 was a Tuesday. So this function should return 8, 10, 15, 17, etc, up to say some upper bound of 31 (we just pretend that every month has 31 days, to keep things simple.)

I have a function. But it is sort of ugly...

Is there a prettier/better way of doing this? This isn't aesthetically pleasing to me...

http://pastebin.com/HZLAKtS2
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:52am On May 20, 2012
concatenate the dates into a string and return...
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 9:03am On May 20, 2012
Eh, that won't make the function look more attractive. Makes no difference whether one returns a list or a concatenated string. In fact, the latter is worse, and doesn't make a lot of sense, since you'll then need extract the list from the string
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by lordZOUGA(m): 9:07am On May 20, 2012
you didn't really define 'attractive' though...
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 9:09am On May 20, 2012
I ended up doing this:

bool1 = x >= start
bool2 = (x -start) % 7==0
bool3 = (x-start-2) % 7==0
return bool1 and (bool2 or bool3)

Makes me feel happier than what I had before.

Unnecessary parentheses removed. Extra boolean introduced.

Minor nitpick, but feels so much nicer, reads more clearly.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 10:58am On May 20, 2012
doctests are kinda cool...
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 1:17pm On May 22, 2012
the truth is that after looking at python for days, infact i have been scanning python ebooks since last year, i set up ruby and rail last night. I cant even write ruby codes now without looking up reference manual but my verditc is Python < PHP < Ruby. So RoR it's. Python sucks, seriously the python buzz is just hype thanks to google marketing. Till i see any reason to look it up again. Scala and Ruby are the new programming languages i'll learn. Python till next time.

1 Like

Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 22, 2012
megaplaza: the truth is that after looking at python for days, infact i have been scanning python ebooks since last year, i set up ruby and rail last night. I cant even write ruby codes now without looking up reference manual but my verditc is Python < PHP < Ruby. So RoR it's. Python sucks, seriously the python buzz is just hype thanks to google marketing. Till i see any reason to look it up again. Scala and Ruby are the new programming languages i'll learn. Python till next time.
Your choice then...
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 8:22pm On May 22, 2012
megaplaza: the truth is that after looking at python for days, infact i have been scanning python ebooks since last year, i set up ruby and rail last night. I cant even write ruby codes now without looking up reference manual but my verditc is Python < PHP < Ruby. So RoR it's. Python sucks, seriously the python buzz is just hype thanks to google marketing. Till i see any reason to look it up again. Scala and Ruby are the new programming languages i'll learn. Python till next time.

I feel that Ruby > Python too. But I spent a couple days this weekend writing some small python scripts. I think this is one of those things where you have to dive into the language completely...use it for any tasks you need to do.

Otherwise you'll just never find the energy/time to learn it...you'll stick with languages you like better.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by megaplaza(m): 7:57am On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear:

I feel that Ruby > Python too. But I spent a couple days this weekend writing some small python scripts. I think this is one of those things where you have to dive into the language completely...use it for any tasks you need to do.

Otherwise you'll just never find the energy/time to learn it...you'll stick with languages you like better.
am ready to learn Ruby then RoR, simple web apps i will use PHP and complex web app(RoR or Scala Lift). Between now and december. I should finish my Scala and RoR learning experience.

1 Like

Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear:

Emmm ekt_bear, please do not state that Ruby is greater than Python because you know more of Ruby than Python. How many Python libraries have you used effectively. What and What have you done in Ruby and tried to do in Python and failed?. Please, next time do not make the mistake of judging programming languages based on your personal conviction as I do not see what Ruby does that Python can not do. No insult my language again abeg...
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 10:54pm On May 23, 2012
Lol. I said "feel." I.e., it is my opinion. There is nothing that Ruby can do which Python can't, actually. In fact, the opposite is probably true...hence my attempts to transition from Ruby to Python as my main language.

However, Ruby is a more beautiful language, imo.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Fayimora(m): 11:32pm On May 25, 2012
As a matter of fact, Python canot have blocks without very very nasty patches. Because of this, Python cannot posses tools like RSpec! Am sure we both know how awesome blocks are.
http://pastie.org/3968568

@goon, write me a tool like Rspec and I would pay you £1000. Just ONE condition, you would open source it! wink
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 11:58pm On May 25, 2012
Interesting. Can't anonymous functions do the trick?

In any case, I'll just continue to write my tests (even for python) using RSpec grin
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Fayimora(m): 7:58pm On May 26, 2012
Nope. You basically can't have something like Rspec in python except you create some nasty hacks that would allow you have nested functions(basically except you deal with the devil lool).
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by ektbear: 9:16pm On May 26, 2012
Python3 already has nested functions. Dunno if prior versions do too.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by oloyedejamiu: 6:28pm On May 27, 2012
I finally fell in love with Python.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by kepsi123(m): 8:46am On Jul 18, 2013
Anybody in AKS that can take me on tutorials. Am looking for hobby. Not to make money from though. Will pay by the way
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by Com4th4u: 10:42pm On Mar 21, 2019
Hello.
Am looking for a very good Phyton programmer who can work with me on my project. Here is my whatapp number 07060700122. Please contact me if you can
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by asalimpo(m): 8:35pm On Mar 22, 2019
threads should b closed when they go dead.
Re: Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? by kodewrita(m): 2:15pm On Oct 08, 2019
Locked due to inactivity.

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills / How Much Do Web Developers Earn In Nigeria? / C++ Tutorial For Beginners... Part 1...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.