Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,019 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? (67143 Views)

What Next After NYSC NIM Induction? / NYSC-NIM Result / How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by mbhs139(m): 10:58pm On May 21, 2012
Trojavirus: People say NIM is useless because employers do not ask for it then what will you say about the teeming unemployed graduates in Nigeria, does that make Bsc, Btech etc useless? Do not ask where you can work with NIM certificate but ask what work you can provide with the knowlege you gain from NIM. It is all about becoming a manager, an enterprenuer that will provide jobs for those with ''employe me'' mentality.

You make a lot of sense and that's what I have been saying it too

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by sashaa(f): 11:40pm On May 21, 2012
black.rules:
I think people should have a clear knowledge of the difference between Accounting and Management.

OP,
Go on with your programme, study ahrd and excel in it.

I am of a Science background, I enrolled for NIM while serving; it was a real eye-opener for me.
I learnet alot in the class and that motivated me in my PGD Management Science - immediately after my NYSC.

Now, I am an 'Administrator in Science'. grin
please, can we we talk? Am of the same science background as u and very much intrested in management but not sure how to go about the switch
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by slimyem: 12:27am On May 22, 2012
i delibrately chose not to join the band wagon when i served.
Felt like everyone was just doing it cuz everyone was doing it and because it was cheap!
It doesnt guarantee you a good job after service niether does it give special consideration for employment.
Do it if you have to...just for the knowledge...nothing more!

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Lisa1: 1:51am On May 22, 2012
Waste energy[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by dayokanu(m): 2:36am On May 22, 2012
Its better for you to use your time in fuckingg your fellow corpers or chasing the indigene girls than that NIM.

5 yrs down the line you would realise that its as useless as joining special squad during 3 weeks orientation

5 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by malc619(m): 2:59am On May 22, 2012
Lots of funny comments.....
Question 1: what's the basis for evaluating the relevance of a program??
Question 2: Is it wise to expect that because you did a professional program, Ʊ'r guaranteed of employment.
Question 3: Does the program add to ur knowledge & skill??
Question 4: ‎​Ȋ̝̊̅$ the body in question ά̲̣̥ recognised one??
1. The program ‎​Ȋ̝̊̅$ relevant because it gives you to ά̲̣̥ range of management skills and knowledge that you'll find useful for employment/entrepreneurship.
2. Being a member of NIM is not a guarantee that you'll get ά̲̣̥ job very easily, but it improves ur employability..
3. The program will impart knowledge and skills to you (esp. If you didn't do ά̲̣̥ management course in ur 1st degree). Please focus on the knowledge and skills you'll get from the program.
4. NIM is RECOGNISED by ALL employers as a professional management body. Even if it doesn't give you an edge F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ that particular position, it doesn't mean the qualification is invalid...

Summary: Go F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ it, u've got ά̲̣̥ lot to gain ‎​Άŋϑ very little to lose...

5 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by mandsignal(m): 7:44am On May 22, 2012
Francex: I am also writing it nxt month...d courses are so simple dat I actually wonder if it has value...well I'm not doing it for cv boost or wateva ..it's just to acquire knowledge only dat I feel dat I already have dat knowledge ....now going bck to ur question..it's quite relevant but its relevance is a gradual process,there are many stages lyk someone pointed out...dis NYSC stage is jst proefficiency(before efficiency...lol...dat means u are not yet efficient )...dis proefficiency cert doesn't have mch value but it can take u to d nxt stage...I wanted to write ICAN but it's expensive and am not yet prepared in mind..Jst passing time wit nim
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Abanicwise(m): 8:07am On May 22, 2012
I feel devasted when I c people talking more on sth they know less abt and misleading d Ignorant......Do those condeming d NIM graduate membership actually know dat wt d certificate and ur HND cert. u can proceed for ur master in MBA without wasting so much money, time and other resources on PGD (post graduate course).........do u know hw much d PGD dt d NIM membership has saved u would av cost u if u are going for it? Av u also consider d tym?..........@OP....if u wnt to save urself some stress in d nearest future in respect of ur academic career, pls go on and acquire d certificate and don't let urself be confused
further........I so rest my case......Abanic.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Assalaam(f): 8:22am On May 22, 2012
jaydude: please has any one upgraded from graduate member to associate? please how does one go about that?
the asssociate membership stage has eight subject and as a graduate in relevant field u are to register for four papers and pay exemption fee to be exempted in four courses they are doing at graduate level. So taking the course as a corper just gives the advantage of not paying the exemption fee and writing the remaining four paper straight after paying. I think there exams is normally march and september

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by rekeson: 8:28am On May 22, 2012
Thank u all for the wonderful replies. I hav gotten d form and looking 4ward to d exams by June

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by maclatunji: 9:47am On May 22, 2012
OP is not a serious individual. You bought forms for an exam and you are now asking people if the organisation is worth it. The certificate you get is not the equivalent of being an Associate of ICAN (ACA), so why the comparison? The equivalent of ACA with NIM is AMNIM which carries the same weight. You don't need employers to ask you for your certificate before it is useful to you. Management is a practical function, so if you cannot manage yourself as an individual, who will trust you to manage their business?

It is a very useful certificate to have especially for graduates from non-management sciences related courses. I wrote the exam back in the day not because of the knowledge but because it is a professional certification in the line of the course I studied- Business Administration. What I mean is that writing the NYSC-NIM exam was just like repeating my final year exams at school. I don't think we were up to 20 that passed all 8 papers in my batch. They required passing 5 out of 8 to get inducted then and I don't think it has changed.

For all intent and purposes NIM is at par with ICAN. An Associate of NIM is not lesser than an Associate of ICAN or any other professional body. Let us not lie to people here. They both have Charters from the Federal Government to regulate their professions Management and Accounting.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Sugardiva(f): 10:11am On May 22, 2012
Abanicwise: I feel devasted when I c people talking more on sth they know less abt and misleading d Ignorant......Do those condeming d NIM graduate membership actually know dat wt d certificate and ur HND cert. u can proceed for ur master in MBA without wasting so much money, time and other resources on PGD (post graduate course).........do u know hw much d PGD dt d NIM membership has saved u would av cost u if u are going for it? Av u also consider d tym?..........@OP....if u wnt to save urself some stress in d nearest future in respect of ur academic career, pls go on and acquire d certificate and don't let urself be confused
further........I so rest my case......Abanic.

Are u sure about this? My Sister has a BSC in economics and did NIM during her service year but was required to do a PGD before doing her MBA in Management.

Anyways at OP, no knowledge is lost. You can do this to add value to urself not necessarily to boost ur CV. Its cheap so there's nothing to loose. I read somewhere to invest at least 3 percent of ur income in self development evry year to acheive greater personal results.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by talk2dhanny: 10:45am On May 22, 2012
NIM is very useful and is indeed an additional boost to your CV especially if you are pursuing a career in management. Outside the field of mgt, say finance, insurance, banking etc...companies do not exactly regard it for the knowledge u acquired from NIM but for d fact that you belong to a professional body (very important).
I studied Agric Econs and am about pursuing MSc. Management in Unilag. One of d requirements for that course for those that wern't graduates of management (or a similar field) is NIM. Chck out unilags postgraduate site Msc. Mgt to confirm.

3 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by rekeson: 11:04am On May 22, 2012
Actually i am a graduate of Marketing in the facaulty of management sciences.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by maclatunji: 11:28am On May 22, 2012
rekeson: Actually i am a graduate of Marketing in the facaulty of management sciences.

You come dey ask this kain question? I fit e-slap you O grin .

My first job after NYSC was a field marketing job. I took it because I was trained to own a business not work for people and I have always believed that. However, I wanted to know what people experience when they go out to sell stuff to people- it was a real eye-opener and has helped me to become a better manager.

Don't be deceived, it is not everybody that will get 6 digits salary or income per month. Even those who do know what it costs them. Read hard, pass your exams and be reasonable when you enter the labour market. I wish you good luck!

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by jaydude(f): 1:54pm On May 22, 2012
Thanks Asaalaam...I'm already a graduate member,joined via nysc route, I'm asking if and how I can upgrade from this stage..thanks
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by rekeson: 4:51pm On May 22, 2012
maclatunji:

You come dey ask this kain question? I fit e-slap you O grin .

My first job after NYSC was a field marketing job. I took it because I was trained to own a business not work for people and I have always believed that. However, I wanted to know what people experience when they go out to sell stuff to people- it was a real eye-opener and has helped me to become a better manager.

Don't be deceived, it is not everybody that will get 6 digits salary or income per month. Even those who do know what it costs them. Read hard, pass your exams and be reasonable when you enter the labour market. I wish you good luck!

Thanks for d wonderful advice
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by KOYAINT: 2:20pm On May 23, 2012
NIM is not having weight now but it still remain the pioneer of all Professional management. NIM is facing a lot of challeges now but in future it will regain its stand. Because NIM is recognised worldwide, but in Nigeria it is just like the case of HND/BSc. issue. NIM is not having weight like before, you can take the exam now and have the certificate which you can add to your CV.

It is an additional point in the selection process for employment, for instance;
Bsc (Adm), ANIM, ACIPM.

It also depends of the course you did at your first degree.

For more and better advice, email your profile to raphaelkoya@yahoo.co.uk for more advice it is free.

Best of luck.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Abanicwise(m): 2:22pm On May 23, 2012
Sugardiva:

Are u sure about this? My Sister has a BSC in economics and did NIM during her service year but was required to do a PGD before doing her MBA in Management.

Anyways at OP, no knowledge is lost. You can do this to add value to urself not necessarily to boost ur CV. Its cheap so there's nothing to loose. I read somewhere to invest at least 3 percent of ur income in self development evry year to acheive greater personal results.

I av never bn dis sure dude, I av 2 friends who has enjoy dis benefit, one study estate management, d other study Business Administration, and currently one of them is still doing his MBA at Ladoke akintola university,Ogbomoso.......information is power is d say......are u sure ur sister is aware of dis benefit and presented her Nim Graduate membership certificate to d institution in question.

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by fmanf(m): 4:07pm On May 23, 2012
Bt, it is an adviseable for an interested people to have it incase
nairamobile: just one of those things
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by fmanf(m): 4:32pm On May 23, 2012
Having NIM as a professional certificate, can you be exempted from PGD in pursueing your MBA [quote author=fmanf]Bt, it is an adviseable for an interested people to have it incase[/quot
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Assalaam(f): 11:44am On May 26, 2012
talk2dhanny: NIM is very useful and is indeed an additional boost to your CV especially if you are pursuing a career in management. Outside the field of mgt, say finance, insurance, banking etc...companies do not exactly regard it for the knowledge u acquired from NIM but for d fact that you belong to a professional body (very important).
I studied Agric Econs and am about pursuing MSc. Management in Unilag. One of d requirements for that course for those that wern't graduates of management (or a similar field) is NIM. Chck out unilags postgraduate site Msc. Mgt to confirm.
this is true but i thnk what they are requesting for is associate member certificate and not graduate member cert. Giving to corpers meaning that you still need to progresss in the institute(NIM) to make it more useful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by fmanf(m): 9:19pm On May 27, 2012
Pls house, which one is the professional course for management. When NIM is usesless.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Mustay(m): 11:49pm On Jun 30, 2012
fmanf: Pls house, which one is the professional course for management. When NIM is usesless.

Like it had been written earlier, if you want to follow the 'useless' slogan, do so but what seems so confuse candidates of student members of these bodies is their thinking that a particular affiliation would guarantee automatic placement into a vacant position. No matter the professional exams you do, I bet you'll still see this 'relevancy' issue of the course or 'is ICAN better than this or that'.

The 'koko' is the knowledge garnered and how well you are able to apply it in your field or along your job experiences. Don't ever disregard the importance of 'knowing' something 'cos you'd be marvelled at how it looks so spectacular when you're applying it to people who know not it. Methinks this issue also stems from our Unis where students are mostly interested in the theories so they can just pass.
In light of the circumstance of an NYSC member and NIM, I'd still term it a 'nothing to lose' programme to engage yourself in whilst serving and is definitely not worthless.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 09, 2012
The level of ignorance in Nigeria remain alarming.Come on guys, get out of your ignorant zone and make use of every opportunity that comes your way. I cant believe people abusing the opportunity that NYSC gives during service year.NYSC SUBSIDIZE FOR THE COST OF THE EXAM EACH CANDIDATE WRITE during their service year and this should not be seen as an avenue to abusing NIM GRADUATE EXAMS FOR BEEN CHEAP. Now, coming to the relevance of this Graduate Certificate which a lot of people here has said a lot of negative things about because of their ignorance, NIM GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IS EQUVALENT TO GRADUATE DIPLOMA/ PGD.I did it far back in Zamfara state where i served my fathers land and i combined the certificate with my (HND in Business Administration & Management) to put in for MSc-Management Information Technology in one of the finest UK university.I was seriously happy to find out that even in UK, NIM rings bell.The only effort they made was calling NIM for my transcript which they forward to them after which they rated the graduate certificate to be equvalent to their Graduate Diploma/PGD. I thank God that i did the course then in Zamfara.If you're a Business or management science graduate, i will advice you to take the course without wasting time.In Nigeria, a friend called me and Told me that GNIM+BSC(3RD CLASS) IN Business or management = MBA.Also, GNIM+HND= MBA. Graduate, when you dont know something, you'll remain in the dark. log in to www.managementnigeria.org, check their contact and send mail to them. Ask them what you can use your GRADUATE CERTIFICATE FOR. They won't hesitate to let you know about that including admission purposes. Check admission requirement for MBA in LAUTECH AND NOUN etc. Employer has never detest NIM OR ANY OTHER PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICTION LIKE CIPM,ICAN, ANAN, ACIBN. Infact, i read online that OSUN STATE GOVT OF NIGERIA IS CURRENTLY RECRUITING and they mandate for every applicant to hold at least one professional qualification.Brace up yourself Graduate, apprecitate what you've got and get out of your ignorant zone.

7 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Uchesis: 6:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
olaking1: The level of ignorance in Nigeria remain alarming.Come on guys, get out of your ignorant zone and make use of every opportunity that comes your way. I cant believe people abusing the opportunity that NYSC gives during service year.NYSC SUBSIDIZE FOR THE COST OF THE EXAM EACH CANDIDATE WRITE during their service year and this should not be seen as an avenue to abusing NIM GRADUATE EXAMS FOR BEEN CHEAP. Now, coming to the relevance of this Graduate Certificate which a lot of people here has said a lot of negative things about because of their ignorance, NIM GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IS EQUVALENT TO GRADUATE DIPLOMA/ PGD.I did it far back in Zamfara state where i served my fathers land and i combined the certificate with my (HND in Business Administration & Management) to put in for MSc-Management Information Technology in one of the finest UK university.I was seriously happy to find out that even in UK, NIM rings bell.The only effort they made was calling NIM for my transcript which they forward to them after which they rated the graduate certificate to be equvalent to their Graduate Diploma/PGD. I thank God that i did the course then in Zamfara.If you're a Business or management science graduate, i will advice you to take the course without wasting time.In Nigeria, a friend called me and Told me that GNIM+BSC(3RD CLASS) IN Business or management = MBA.Also, GNIM+HND= MBA. Graduate, when you dont know something, you'll remain in the dark. log in to www.managementnigeria.org, check their contact and send mail to them. Ask them what you can use your GRADUATE CERTIFICATE FOR. They won't hesitate to let you know about that including admission purposes. Check admission requirement for MBA in LAUTECH AND NOUN etc. Employer has never detest NIM OR ANY OTHER PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICTION LIKE CIPM,ICAN, ANAN, ACIBN. Infact, i read online that OSUN STATE GOVT OF NIGERIA IS CURRENTLY RECRUITING and they mandate for every applicant to hold at least one professional qualification.Brace up yourself Graduate, apprecitate what you've got and get out of your ignorant zone.

Nice one bros. Pls i nid more info abt d NIM program, d cost, hw 2 apply, time of exam etc. I'm going with batch 'A' 2013 and i'll luv 2 apply. Is it done in all states of d country? Pls reply. Thanx

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Uchesis: 6:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
olaking1: The level of ignorance in Nigeria remain alarming.Come on guys, get out of your ignorant zone and make use of every opportunity that comes your way. I cant believe people abusing the opportunity that NYSC gives during service year.NYSC SUBSIDIZE FOR THE COST OF THE EXAM EACH CANDIDATE WRITE during their service year and this should not be seen as an avenue to abusing NIM GRADUATE EXAMS FOR BEEN CHEAP. Now, coming to the relevance of this Graduate Certificate which a lot of people here has said a lot of negative things about because of their ignorance, NIM GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IS EQUVALENT TO GRADUATE DIPLOMA/ PGD.I did it far back in Zamfara state where i served my fathers land and i combined the certificate with my (HND in Business Administration & Management) to put in for MSc-Management Information Technology in one of the finest UK university.I was seriously happy to find out that even in UK, NIM rings bell.The only effort they made was calling NIM for my transcript which they forward to them after which they rated the graduate certificate to be equvalent to their Graduate Diploma/PGD. I thank God that i did the course then in Zamfara.If you're a Business or management science graduate, i will advice you to take the course without wasting time.In Nigeria, a friend called me and Told me that GNIM+BSC(3RD CLASS) IN Business or management = MBA.Also, GNIM+HND= MBA. Graduate, when you dont know something, you'll remain in the dark. log in to www.managementnigeria.org, check their contact and send mail to them. Ask them what you can use your GRADUATE CERTIFICATE FOR. They won't hesitate to let you know about that including admission purposes. Check admission requirement for MBA in LAUTECH AND NOUN etc. Employer has never detest NIM OR ANY OTHER PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICTION LIKE CIPM,ICAN, ANAN, ACIBN. Infact, i read online that OSUN STATE GOVT OF NIGERIA IS CURRENTLY RECRUITING and they mandate for every applicant to hold at least one professional qualification.Brace up yourself Graduate, apprecitate what you've got and get out of your ignorant zone.

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 05, 2013
My brother, its very simple.You can write the exam in any state you're posted.NIM will send their representatives to each and every camp ground in nigeria to educate corp members about the program. They will come with the application form and study pack. The total cost during my service year in not up to 10,000. I cant say precisely what the cost will be now but it shouldn't be more than 10,000. Thanks.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by jemo86: 12:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
Please does anyone in the house have an idea of the maximum period required for induction/collection of the NIM-NYSC Certificate?I wrote d exam last yr(Nov 2012) n I passed.However,I'm yet to do my induction.Someone said that if one fails to be inducted after a year of writing the exam,one may not be able to collect the certificate again.Is this true please?
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by rekeson: 8:12pm On Nov 15, 2013
3 - 5 years. One year elapsed b4 I collected mine.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Male Corper Slumps And Dies In Lagos (Photos) / Corper Rocks Her NYSC Uniform In Braless Photoshoot / Inside Cross River NYSC 'Orientation Camp' (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.