Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,035 members, 7,818,056 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Who Was Lying? Jesus Or John The Baptist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Was Lying? Jesus Or John The Baptist? (2227 Views)

The Enigma Of John The Baptist / Did Anyone Ascend Into Heaven Before Jesus Or Not? / Youths Set Baptist Church Ablaze In Kano (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was Lying? Jesus Or John The Baptist? by Gbamar(f): 1:58pm On May 08, 2012
Why avoiding my post . Someone please answer my question. 'THAT PROPHET'.
Re: Who Was Lying? Jesus Or John The Baptist? by Goshen360(m): 2:16pm On May 08, 2012
Gbamar: Well! well, 'ELIAS' WAS'ELIJAH' 'ELIJA WAS ELIAS' WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE OF ELIAS( SOUND INCONVINCING). @GOSEN COULD YOU PLEASE CLARIFY THE LAST QUESTION.' THAT PROPHET'.

I don't really understand your question please. Can you clarify please.
Re: Who Was Lying? Jesus Or John The Baptist? by Gbamar(f): 9:16pm On May 11, 2012
Goshen360:

I don't really understand your question please. Can you clarify please.
THANKS AND SORRY FOR REPLYING LATE. MY QUESTION IS-TO WHOM DOSE THE LAST QUESTION POSED TO JOHN REFER TO? 'THAT PROPHET'
Re: Who Was Lying? Jesus Or John The Baptist? by Goshen360(m): 9:45pm On May 11, 2012
Please ask the question with the bible quotes. I still can't understand. Quote the verse and ask the question again in respect of the verse in a clear terms. I will be willing to help you.
Re: Who Was Lying? Jesus Or John The Baptist? by true2god: 7:20am On May 12, 2012
jmoore:

John the baptist was in jail and expected Jesus to come and free him hence the question he asked if Jesus was the messiah. That John had some doubt does not mean either Jesus or John himself was lying, no one was lying.

On the verses the poster quoted.
John said he was not Elijah.
And what Jesus meant when He said that John the Baptist was Elijah? We see in Malachi 4:5 this prophecy, "Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord." Jesus is referring to the prophecy concerning Elijah. We see that the coming of Elijah was in the spirit of Elijah, which is so stated in Luke 1:13-17. The context is when Zecharias, John's father-to-be, was performing his priestly duties in the temple (Luke 1:8ff).

Jesus was talking about the spirit of elijah and not elijah himself.
please i would like to understand the difference bw the spirit of Elijah and Elijah himself.
Re: Who Was Lying? Jesus Or John The Baptist? by jmoore(m): 10:46am On May 12, 2012
true2god: please i would like to understand the difference bw the spirit of Elijah and Elijah himself.

From the context of the verses quoted so far, the spirit of Elijah is not Elijah himself but anointing or having the same role as Elijah.

2 Kings 2:9 can make it more clear to you "When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, "Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?" "Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit," Elisha replied."

Elisha got a double portion of Elijah's spirit. That does not mean that Elijah himself went inside Elisha, it means he got the anointing that Elijah had.

When Jesus said that John the baptist was the Elijah to come, he meant that he came to perform the same role as Elijah did as given in Luke 1:16-17
"And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah. . ."

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Question For The Christians / Persecution or Threats against FROSBEL - You decide. / INTEGRITY - Mark Of A True Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.