Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,289 members, 7,818,983 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios (4735 Views)

GEJ Comparing Nigeria To Syria: Is It Right? / Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan / Quit Comparing Nigeria To Ghana, Rivers State Alone Is Richer Then Ghana Lol. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Onlytruth(m): 10:06pm On May 06, 2012
Yesterday was 5th of May, and Mexicans in the US celebrated "Cinco de Mayo". I'd never really known what it meant and never cared to find out until yesterday. I know very little about Mexico (been there once) and never bothered to know much more. In researching "Cinco de Mayo", I ended up researching Mexico.
All these years, I've often compared Nigeria to Mexico in terms of Economy and human development, but boy was I shocked out of my wits! Here are a few of my findings:

Mexican population: 114,975,406 (July 2012 estimate)
Population rank in the world: 11th
Mexican GDP (official exchange rate):$1.185 trillion (2011 est.)
Mexican GDP per capita: $15,100 (2011 est.)
Mexican Life Expectancy at birth: 76.66 years
Mexican Doctor/Patient ratio: 2.893 physicians/1,000 population (2004)
Health ranking in the world: 41
Health expenditure: 13.8% of GDP

Nigerian population: 170,123,740 (July 2012 est.)
Population rank in the world: 7th
Nigerian GDP (official exchange rate): $247.1 billion (2011 est.)
Nigerian GDP per capita: $2,600 (2011 est.)
Nigerian life expectancy at birth: 52.05 years
Nigerian doctor/patient ratio: 0.395 physicians/1,000 population (2008. )
Health ranking in the world: 117
Health expenditure: 5.8% of GDP (2009)

Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html

Now, what caught my attention most is the doctor /patient ratio.
There are not up to half a doctor for 1000 Nigerians! shocked

Anyway, I will follow up with the other scenario/perspective - a scenario that assumes a disintegrated Nigeria. cool

1 Like

Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Onlytruth(m): 10:19pm On May 06, 2012
The next scenario - a disintegrated Nigeria with at least three countries - North, East and West.

The East would have at least more than 10 doctors per 1000 patients. The west may have something similar or close ratio. The North? undecided
Hmm. . .

The East would leapfrog Mexico in health accessibility IMMEDIATELY.
The East would also likely leapfrog Mexico in education.
Suffice it to say that Mexico may not be richer in GDP per capita than the East, even if that Eastern country is only comprised of 5 SE states!

These facts are good to examine, because we need to know where Nigeria's main problems are coming from, and by how much.

I've worked with Mexicans here in the states, and believe me the ones I worked with were not better than moi. cool
I am one of the Nigerians that bring pride to Nigeria as a professional here, and I used to assume that the gap between Nigeria and Mexico ( in terms of human and economic development) wasn't than much; but from yesterday, I've learned to put my tail between my legs whenever I see a Mexican, thanks to my country of origin always batting wayyyyyyyyyyyy below par! angry cry angry
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by chucky234(m): 11:17pm On May 06, 2012
Guy never compare Nigeria to Mexico,with all the looting and less than four billion dollars in foreign reserve we cannot be par with Mexico.
Those political thieves has long ruined this nation,imagine those figures.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 11:20pm On May 06, 2012
Nigeria should be compared with somalia,not mexico.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Ikengawo: 1:25am On May 07, 2012
Mexico is also 400 years old. I would imagine nigeria is going to be in a better place than mexico today in 400 years because we don't seem to be too far off after 50, and from the developments I'm seeing I remain optimistic despite pessimism being the flavor of the month.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by CyberG: 1:44am On May 07, 2012
How can anyone compare a country that took ~$60 B foreign reserve and virtually erase it and then add ~ $60 B worth of foreign debt in less than about 5 years compare with any other country?

How can a country that took ~$ 30 B excess crude account savings to virtually finishing it all in < 5 years be compared with any country on the planet?

How can a country whose leadership, voted in MOSTLY by the people comparing, steal ~ $ 20 B dollar in about 2 years and compare even with anything else and YET, they cheer on the thieves when the arch-thief Jolanthan has said the thieves will not be prosecuted as the probe was merely a fact finding mission.

How can someone who thinks only of breaking a country he so much despises compare it with a progressive and imperfect country that is doing everything to stay ahead of the game?

Those are better questions to ask empty before chest beating about a probability you can not guarantee. What have you done with the one within your grasp now?
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 2:06am On May 07, 2012
Onlytruth: Yesterday was 5th of May, and Mexicans in the US celebrated "Cinco de Mayo". I'd never really known what it meant and never cared to find out until yesterday.

Tribal beast!

You claimed one time that this is "MY COUNTRY", but yet you know nothing about Cinco De Mayo? What'd I say? I knew it, you came here as a man in his late 30's-Early 40s thats why the ways of the jungle have taken a while to sip through your tribalist pores. smh. What a loser!
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 2:09am On May 07, 2012
CyberG: How can anyone compare a country that took ~$60 B foreign reserve and virtually erase it and then add ~ $60 B worth of foreign debt in less than about 5 years compare with any other country?

How can a country that took ~$ 30 B excess crude account savings to virtually finishing it all in < 5 years be compared with any country on the planet?

How can a country whose leadership, voted in MOSTLY by the people comparing, steal ~ $ 20 B dollar in about 2 years and compare even with anything else and YET, they cheer on the thieves when the arch-thief Jolanthan has said the thieves will not be prosecuted as the probe was merely a fact finding mission.

How can someone who thinks only of breaking a country he so much despises compare it with a progressive and imperfect country that is doing everything to stay ahead of the game?

Those are better questions to ask empty before chest beating about a probability you can not guarantee. What have you done with the one within your grasp now?

Abeg tell am o! Is this not the same OnlyTruth that was supporting GEJ just because the better alternative was a Muslim and Northerner?

Dude is just a shameless loser its so shocking.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 2:10am On May 07, 2012
Ikengawo: Mexico is also 400 years old. I would imagine nigeria is going to be in a better place than mexico today in 400 years because we don't seem to be too far off after 50, and from the developments I'm seeing I remain optimistic despite pessimism being the flavor of the month.

Trust me, outside of the capital city and a few other states (mostly tourist areas) Mexico is a waste land. Gangstas Paradise.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 2:13am On May 07, 2012
Onlytruth:

I've worked with Mexicans here in the states, and believe me the ones I worked with were not better than moi. cool
I am one of the Nigerians that bring pride to Nigeria as a professional here,

Tell us, kind sir, what it is you do that brings pride to Nigeria in ways only you know about.

SMH loser. Always tooting their own pathetic horns.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by freesoul3(f): 2:34am On May 07, 2012
chima12: Nigeria should be compared with somalia,not mexico.

so true! cry
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by freesoul3(f): 2:37am On May 07, 2012
king of Yoruba animals why are you opening your Yoruba mamas puzzy in cyber space
you animals never contribute to civil discussion
your animal father escaped from mental asylum for yankee after foking his sister in typical Yoruba inbreeding
why do you animals attack civilized people?

Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Onlytruth(m): 3:22am On May 07, 2012
kingoflag:

Tribal beast!

You claimed one time that this is "MY COUNTRY", but yet you know nothing about Cinco De Mayo? What'd I say? I knew it, you came here as a man in his late 30's-Early 40s thats why the ways of the jungle have taken a while to sip through your tribalist pores. smh. What a loser!

undecided undecided undecided MEXICO?

Dude I can see that I give you REAL nightmares!
I hope you see a mental health professional soon, else you will likely run mad. cool

What is wrong with you and people in their 30s, or 40s by the way? Shouldn't they have opinions too? By your own words, you are VERY HATEFUL and discriminate against people based on their age. My little cousin who is 7 years old is FAR MORE MATURE AND INTELLIGENT than you; at least she understands not to do that, and other things as simple as dual citizenship.

Fact remains that I am an ASSET to both countries of my citizenship cool, but sometimes I wish I can be a Biafran/American instead of a Nigerian/American, because at least it would bring about a situation whereby I am not yoked with people incapable of facing the truth due to HATE; people who would rather attack the messenger than face the truth for once. If I don't have family in Nigeria, you probably wouldn't even see me at all on Nairaland.
So, I hope for a Biafran nation that can allow peace and progress to my folks back in Nigeria.
I know that a Biafran nation would leapfrog Mexico at least in healthcare accessibility and Education -two critical human development sectors. FACT. cool
I don't know whether the Nigerian nation would ever beat Mexico in any human development sector, heck Nigeria even commits more murder and death of innocents than Mexico BY FAR.
Tell me one area that Nigeria betters Mexico. Mcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

So, there you go king of beasts! I hope you can take off your mouth from your mamas teaties to think for once! GRANDPA BOY! hehehe! cheesy
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Onlytruth(m): 3:30am On May 07, 2012
free_soul: king of Yoruba animals why are you opening your Yoruba mamas puzzy in cyber space
your animal father escaped from mental asylum for yankee after foking his sister in typical Yoruba inbreeding

My sister don't mind that man. He is suffering from a very rare form of schizophrenia. He basically follows me around Nairaland hallucinating over me.
I am his TRUE NIGHTMARE. hehe! cool
Please don't attack every Yoruba just because of CyberG(king-of-oafs). cool

I basically ignore him always, and only respond when I feel like.
I wanted to bump this thread, hence my response to him. Probably the last respond he would get from me on this thread. cool
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by CyberG: 3:35am On May 07, 2012
^^ You are deviating from your own thread. Why not respond to points raised previously in this thread because if you can't then, you are clearly not interested in walking the talk. Plus, it seems you are only raising the points about Mexico to cast aspersions on Nigeria. If you don't want the betterment of Nigeria but rather its being embroiled in turmoil and war, would it even be better than it is now talk less of being comparable to Mexico?

@ Age issue: I don't think most Nigerians would disrespect anyone because of age but a person'[s reputation goes before them!

@ Name calling: Saw you name calling after my post. Well, just grow-up, and maybe you wouldn't be such a joke because I came at you with intelligible questions but see where you go again?. In the tribal pig sty - lower you go every day. Such a shame.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Onlytruth(m): 3:43am On May 07, 2012
CyberG: ^^ You are deviating from your own thread. Why not respond to points raised previously in this thread because if you can't then, you are clearly not interested in walking the talk. Plus, it seems you are only raising the points about Mexico to cast aspersions on Nigeria. If you don't want the betterment of Nigeria but rather its being embroiled in turmoil and war, would it even be better than it is now talk less of being comparable to Mexico?

@ Age issue: I don't think most Nigerians would disrespect anyone because of age but a person'[s reputation goes before them!

@ Name calling: Saw you name calling after my post. Well, just grow-up, and maybe you wouldn't be such a joke because I came at you with intelligible questions but see where you go again?. In the tribal pig sty - lower you go every day. Such a shame.

I opened this thread because I was genuinely stunned to learn how FAR BEHIND Nigeria is to Mexico in terms of human development and economy.
I knew that Mexico has a bigger GDP, but I never knew that they valued their own people more than Nigerians.
Check out the percentage of Mexican GDP allocated to healthcare- a whopping 13.8% of GDP! shocked
Nigeria can only manage a paltry 5.8%. cry

So, I had to dig deeper to find out the truth. I then arrived at the fact that education is directly proportional to healthcare.
The rest fell in place.
I have always known that a disintegrated Nigeria would at least boost two of the three Nigeria's former regions into near first world status, but I never knew how far until I did this study.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by CyberG: 3:54am On May 07, 2012
^ How can any country allocate any extra percentage to 5.8% which is frittered away in inflated contracts and corruption? That amount is only on PAPER and the real amount is much less. Before digging deeper, how much progress does a country that encourages its leaders to do the following deserve? Answer only according to your name and conscience:

[b]How can anyone compare a country that took ~$60 B foreign reserve and virtually erase it and then add ~ $60 B worth of foreign debt in less than about 5 years compare with any other country?

Those are better questions to ask empty before chest beating about a probability you can not guarantee. What have you done with the one within your grasp now?[/b]
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Onlytruth(m): 3:55am On May 07, 2012
And yes, I was also shocked by the gap between Mexican GDP per capita and Nigerian one: $15,000 (Mexican) to $2600 (Nigerian).
In other words, a Mexican is worth nearly 7 times a Nigerian in dollar terms. BTW both countries are third world countries, but that doesn't seem fair.
Chim ekwela. cry

As far as I know, Nigeria can only boast past football victories over Mexico. So, when next I argue with my Mexican friends here over soccer potentials, I will now look at them in a different light. I would choose better GDP and better health than better football team anyday! cool
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Onlytruth(m): 4:01am On May 07, 2012
CyberG: ^ How can any country allocate any extra percentage to 5.8% which is frittered away in inflated contracts and corruption? That amount is only on PAPER and the real amount is much less. Before digging deeper, how much progress does a country that encourages its leaders to do the following deserve? Answer only according to your name and conscience:

[b]How can anyone compare a country that took ~$60 B foreign reserve and virtually erase it and then add ~ $60 B worth of foreign debt in less than about 5 years compare with any other country?

Those are better questions to ask empty before chest beating about a probability you can not guarantee. What have you done with the one within your grasp now?[/b]

In international scene, nobody cares why you are batting below par. Nobody wants to hear excuses. Countries are responsible for the extent of their individual development; therefore Nigeria must be responsible for Nigerian development. I don't want to hear excuses. If our country is not working, it should be disintegrated.
There has been at least ONE attempt at a REVOLUTION in Nigeria. That attempt was termed tribal, and millions of people died because of it.
I believe that Mexico had a revolution in the past, that is why they are where they are today. They are not making excuses that so so and so stole them blind. undecided
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by CyberG: 4:49am On May 07, 2012
^ I must tell you YOU don't know what you are talking about and any one who does a little bit of introspection will easily see that! First, your so called "international scene" is a direct consequence of the many stupidities of Nigerian leadership which some Nigerian people have supported blindly on the premise of tribal interests and financial interests - this is what should be your attention. I see you claim some phantom terrestrialism but you should have heard of the hypocritical pharisees who were told: "wash the inside of the cup and the outside shall be clean also"! This is the only thing that needs to be done and not the "international scene" like you fixate on or the ill advised revolution with which you will now stir another hornet's nest that will capsize your little ideas on this thread.

Do you know how many wars that Mexico has fought or been involved in? That is a country that has been involved in over a dozen wars including secessions in which the seceding parts (more than once, find out!) rejoined Mexico. So, YOU are showcasing your ignorance when you say "...I believe that Mexico had a revolution in the past...". Again like someone alluded to that since you recently came in contact with Mexicans and it is somewhat noteworthy to you, I will tell you that I have worked directly for years with at least 2 Mexican guys who we have great conversations about everything and yes after discussing their country, you know which one is next? NIGERIA. If Mexicans would do anything to stream over their border, they know something you could never know by cobbling together disjointed facts from ill-researched, googled data which you clearly haven't had time to even analyze or think about.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by PhysicsQED(m): 4:59am On May 07, 2012
I'm surprised you didn't know Mexico was doing better than Nigeria. I thought that would be obvious. Mexico is always listed as having one of the largest economies in the world and it has a somewhat smaller population. Anyway, Mexico has been independent since the 1820s so I don't think they're doing as well as they could be, but then again they've had a lot of civil unrest and wars and to some extent they still do have a lot of civil unrest (corrupt police, violent drug cartels, EZLN, etc.).

This is kind of off-topic, but one thing I heard from a Mexican friend of mine in high school is that Cinco de Mayo is basically insignificant in Mexico itself, but for some reason it's seen as a major Mexican national holiday in the U.S. Don't know if what he said was completely accurate, but it would be kind of funny if that were true.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Onlytruth(m): 5:24am On May 07, 2012
PhysicsQED: [b]I'm surprised you didn't know Mexico was doing better than Nigeria. [/b]I thought that would be obvious. Mexico is always listed as having one of the largest economies in the world and it has a somewhat smaller population. Anyway, Mexico has been independent since the 1820s so I don't think they're doing as well as they could be, but then again they've had a lot of civil unrest and wars and to some extent they still do have a lot of civil unrest (corrupt police, violent drug cartels, EZLN, etc.).

This is kind of off-topic, but one thing I heard from a Mexican friend of mine in high school is that Cinco de Mayo is basically insignificant in Mexico itself, but for some reason it's seen as a major Mexican national holiday in the U.S. Don't know if what he said was completely accurate, but it would be kind of funny if that were true.

I stated that I knew that Mexico's economy was bigger than Nigeria's, but THE EXTENT is what I didn't know. From what I found, there is no basis (AT ALL) for comparison between the two countries in terms of human development and economy.

I also believe there was a time Mexico was more populous than Nigeria (unless I'm wrong); I never knew that Nigeria has about 60 million people more than Mexico. shocked
I knew that Mexico is older and has fought many wars, one of which is the Cinco de Mayo war actually called the Battle of Puebla (between Mexico and France). I also know that the date is only celebrated in a section of Mexico, not national. I knew all those, BUT they had nothing to do with the fact that Mexico budgets above 13% for health, while Nigeria budgets under 6%.
The extent of difference in development is what shocked me, and I'm sure that a lot of Nigerians are shocked by it.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by CyberG: 5:33am On May 07, 2012
Why would anyone be shocked when all the money has been stolen? It's like someone saying he is shocked that after fetching thousands of liters of water into a basket, it was remains empty
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by tpia5: 6:01am On May 07, 2012
why not compare nigeria with every other country in the world, since you have nothing else to do with your time, @ poster.

una inferiority complex is just too much.

wish you could change your ethnicity to mexico. undecided
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 6:25am On May 07, 2012
tpia@:
why not compare nigeria with every other country in the world, since you have nothing else to do with your time, @ poster.

una inferiority complex is just too much.

wish you could change your ethnicity to mexico. undecided

What you mean by inferiority complex? I may not be in support of
divided nigeria but I don't see how comparing your country to see how
Its doing to another third world inferiority! Even americans try to compare
themselve with france,england,greece etc to see how they perfoming. The other
Day a commercial on cnn was saying about usa rank in education on next few yrs
putting some european and even asian country japan ahead and that ppl should
support the programme. If you run out of word just don't write and read!
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by tpia5: 6:32am On May 07, 2012
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 6:43am On May 07, 2012
Please I want to add something here, how do ppl really feel about whenever
"divided nigeria" is mentioned! Idk but its like most ppl think it will bred hatred to us
but that's isn't true atall maybe for the first few years but I swear nigeria will come out
Stronger after it. I know what I'm talking about, divided nigeria will help us get our enemies(corrupt guys)
faster and easier than now(if corruption is our actual prob) look at it like this guys,assuming someone like
Tinubu actuall steal some money, the western region won't look @ person face to jugde him same thing with
Orji of east! Ibori of ss! Sharaki of north! But we can't say same thing right now cos if a case like tinubu one is
thoroughlyinvestigated, his beneficiaries from his loot will scream tribalism and say cos gej isn't from sw,same
thing with other regions. Atimes when I look at nigeria I think it will better off divided(I wish I know any nicer word instead of divide) .
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 6:58am On May 07, 2012
Onlytruth still hasn't told us what job it is he does that brings pride to mankind.

Empty freaking barrel. . . . .
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 7:16am On May 07, 2012
Onlytruth:

In international scene, nobody cares why you are batting below par. Nobody wants to hear excuses. Countries are responsible for the extent of their individual development; therefore Nigeria must be responsible for Nigerian development. I don't want to hear excuses. If our country is not working, it should be disintegrated.
There has been at least ONE attempt at a REVOLUTION in Nigeria. That attempt was termed tribal, and millions of people died because of it.
I believe that Mexico had a revolution in the past, that is why they are where they are today. They are not making excuses that so so and so stole them blind. undecided

Dude, you obviously know nothing about Mexico so please just shut it. If you had even the slightest idea you'd know that Mexico has been battling for decades the same things Nigeria is presently battling : Underdevelopment, Corruption, Nepotism, and Terrorism from Narco Traffickers. The only thing that Mexico is going through that hasn't afflicted Nigeria yet is that Drug Lords have turned it into their private play ground.

Its always good to be quiet and thought an id#iot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubts.
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 7:18am On May 07, 2012
free_soul: king of Yoruba animals why are you opening your Yoruba mamas puzzy in cyber space

Seriously, and I'm asking this out of concern: WHY ARE IGBOS QUICK TO RESORT TO "TRIBE" WHEN THEY CANT GET THEIR POINT ACROSS? WHY ARE YOU GUYS ALWAYS QUICK TO INSULT OTHER'S PARENTS OR REFER TO SE*XUAL ORIFICES FOR NO REASON?

And Onlytruth referred to you as "sister"? Lmao Goodluck finding a husband.

What a beast. smh
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by seleroms: 7:49am On May 07, 2012
You took the words right out of my mouth
kingoflag:

Seriously, and I'm asking this out of concern: WHY ARE IGBOS QUICK TO RESORT TO "TRIBE" WHEN YOU CANT GET YOUR POINT ACROSS? WHY ARE YOU GUYS ALWAYS QUICK TO INSULT OTHER'S PARENTS OR REFER TO SE*XUAL ORIFICES FOR NO REASON?

And Onlytruth referred to you as "sister"? Lmao Goodluck finding a husband.

What a beast. smh
Re: Comparing Nigeria With Mexico In Two Different Scenarios by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 07, 2012
Sometimes when I read posts on this site,I wonder why people reason the way they do.whether the poster knows so much about that mexican festival or nothing at all about it is not an issue.there are so many indians , chinese and other foreiners in lagos,how many of them know anything at all about the eyo masquerade festival?

(1) (2) (Reply)

MASSOB, Suspected Thugs, Police Clash In Ebonyi / Why Jonathan Is Afraid To Declare For 2015 / ...........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.