Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan (25645 Views)

APC Now Riding On Jonathan’s Legacies. Pictures. / Lagos: All The Legacies Of Fashola Are Fast Deteriorating / Olusegun Obasanjo vs Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by gazilion: 2:32pm On May 21, 2013
I just discussed with two of my colleagues during lunch today on President Jonathan's legacy or would be legacy after leaving office. Comparing him with our ex-president OBJ, I did point out 6 things that would remain a legacy and which positively impacted on the lives of virtually all average Nigerian families. I understand OBJ spent 8 years in office but with Jonathan's first term, any hope he'll surpass the legacies below?

Firstly, Obasanjo introduced and liberalised the use of the GSM. Prior to this, telephone - whether land or mobile was almost exclusively for the rich.

Secondly, it was under the Obasanjo leadership that Nigeria's debt got written off in the Paris Club.

Thirdly, it was Obasanjo who bravely retired all Military men in the Nigerian Army who had tasted or held any political office.

Fourthly, it was also under his leadership that the Nigerian banking institution got brilliant reformations (although with some lapses) - This reformation stopped the total collapse of the financial institution in Nigeria during global financial melt down.

Fifthly, under OBJ Prof. Dora Akunyili of NAFDAC brought back in Nigeria the integrity of pharmaceutical drugs and fought vehemently without ethnic colouration, the barons importing fake drugs in Nigeria.

Finally, the fight against corruption under OBJ's leadership did have some bite. Whether it was used in hunting political opponents or not...it did have some bite and we are all witnesses that since the exit of Mallam Ribadu, the anti-corruption institution has virtually lost her voice and temerity.

I'm just thinking aloud, what will president Jonathan's Legacy be?

Please, let's discuss with a sense of decorum without insulting one another including calling our leaders Obscene names.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by bloggernaija: 11:54pm On May 21, 2013
Debts and total financial collapse. it is better if he does not build anything. However putting future generation back into debt with nothing to show for is a magnitude 10 earthquake .

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by gazilion: 11:44am On Sep 20, 2013
mod please kindly move to front page

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 20, 2013
Nonsense! You'r comparing legacies of someone who is just 3 years in office with one that completed 8 years? You'r confused.

38 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
GEJ privatisation of the power sector alone will rubbish everything Obasanjo achieved throughout his tenure

58 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by gazilion: 10:17am On Oct 08, 2013
chukwudi44: GEJ privatisation of the power sector alone will rubbish everything Obasanjo achieved throughout his tenure

I believe president Jonathan is being distracted so much by these selfish governors and political jobbers. If he could be more courageous and assertive, I believe he'll achieve a lot in the long run.

7 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Pataki: 11:02am On Oct 08, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nonsense! You'r comparing legacies of someone who is just 3 years in office with one that completed 8 years? You'r confused.

Before you return to edit your post and post lies here, I am quoting you right now.

3 years in office, who has been dealt with in matters of corruption in this country thus far? Kindly inform us and stop this manner-less tantrums of yours.

10 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by pinky21(f): 11:02am On Oct 08, 2013
Pls jonathan shld pay my mama salary. No b legacy we wan chop

8 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by seedord247(m): 11:03am On Oct 08, 2013
Chaiiii greatest insult of all of time...

Comparing a leopard to a rabbit. grin

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Lilimax(f): 11:03am On Oct 08, 2013
chukwudi44: GEJ privatisation of the power sector alone will rubbish everything Obasanjo achieved throughout his tenure
Let's hope that the constant power supply which has eluded us as a nation is achieved during GEJ tenure.

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Jensenelizz(m): 11:03am On Oct 08, 2013
I think jonathan does nt have enuf bite/say to rule nigerians......obasanjo was nt a saint we all agree that bt at least im do sometin wey nigerians use remember am.....jona just dey do mumu,,,light wey im promise we no see,infrastructure nko we no get,ASUU strike con even worse for im tenure,boko dey bomb everyday without fear say any body go stop dem,plane crash every year............well i no blame am sha im dey see chicken and turkey chop na

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by maggdon(m): 11:03am On Oct 08, 2013
Neglecting Nigeria students nd oppresing the masses wit removal of subsidy... Lest i forget victimizing of governors by his big for notin wife.....

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 08, 2013
Gosh... This again?

Obasanjo is by far far better na...

20 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by pickabeau1: 11:04am On Oct 08, 2013
Obesandjo;s greatest legacy is Jonahthan...

Case closed

17 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Lilchilz(m): 11:04am On Oct 08, 2013
Lekan was in the house watching b.lue f.ilm
yesterday day night when his pastor friend
came visiting.
Immediately he entered, he shouted;
"brother lekan why are.. You doing this to
your selfl? Why are you watching corrupt movies? Oh
no! This is bad!" As he was
shouting he increased the volume of the
film why the girl in the movie started
shouting
"OoJesus! Take it easy!" The man in the movie: "Ohhhh my God. Give it to me harder!
Immediately the pastor looked at Lekan and
said: "Brother lekan, the only reason I will
pardon you is because the people in the
movie are born-again.
The way they call the name of Jesus makes me
love
them. Anyway let's watch it
together...... PLEASE SHIFT FOR ME JOOOR

8 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by esbjaygmailco(m): 11:05am On Oct 08, 2013
can u compare professor to student? 7up things (the difference is clear)
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by khamas19: 11:06am On Oct 08, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nonsense! You'r comparing legacies of someone who is just 3 years in office with one that completed 8 years? You'r confused.

...they don come....

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Noneroone(m): 11:07am On Oct 08, 2013
Can one compare sleep with death.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by coolsalm: 11:07am On Oct 08, 2013
For Me ℓ'Đ say the achievements of GEJ are yet to be seen as he is a Leader appointed by GOD!

3 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 08, 2013
Pataki:

Before you return to edit your post and post lies here, I am quoting you right now.

3 years in office, who has been dealt with in matters of corruption in this country thus far? Kindly inform us and stop this manner-less tantrums of yours.

Dont attack a sincere 9gerian. Any attacks on any sincere 9gerian is an attack on me.

Why not even compare GEJ' few years in office to Yaradua's term in office. Infact why dont you compare GEJ's 2yrsplus to OBJ's first 3 yrs in office. That will be a fair comparison.

As you all can see, GEJ is President of this country now and till we decide if to continue or secede.

Thanks.

Billyonaire - A sincere9gerian.

16 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Codedrock(m): 11:11am On Oct 08, 2013
I AM A BIG FAN BOTH, BUT IF YOU THINK OBASANJO ROCKS BETA JUST LIKE THIS POST!

61 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by seedord247(m): 11:11am On Oct 08, 2013
coolsalm: For Me ℓ'Đ say the achievements of GEJ are yet to be seen as he is a Leader appointed by GOD!

Shuttup.... Stop attaching God name to a mumudom

He's a cluesless man appointed by PDP to suck Nigeria die.

12 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by ifihearam: 11:12am On Oct 08, 2013
I do not think there is any basis of comparison,obj wasted 8 years in office CANNOT be compared to what his excellency has achieved in the past 3 years.

16 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by kayClt(f): 11:12am On Oct 08, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]he shuld solve dis ASUU strike and d problem of boko haram,den shall we hv a legacy to write abt.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by coogar: 11:12am On Oct 08, 2013
gazilion: I just discussed with two of my colleagues during lunch today on President Jonathan's legacy or would be legacy after leaving office. Comparing him with our ex-president OBJ, I did point out 6 things that would remain a legacy and which positively impacted on the lives of virtually all average Nigerian families. I understand OBJ spent 8 years in office but with Jonathan's first term, any hope he'll surpass the legacies below?

Firstly, Obasanjo introduced and liberalised the use of the GSM. Prior to this, telephone - whether land or mobile was almost exclusively for the rich.

this bit already tells me you are perhaps a stark illiterate. OBJ introduced what? so are you going to commend IBB for introducing satellite TV in nigeria or shagari for introducing video machines?

arrant nonsense!

19 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Blessmira: 11:12am On Oct 08, 2013
seedord247: Chaiiii greatest of al of time...

Comparing a leopard to a rabbit. grin

Who is leopard n who is rabbit?
U re jst lookin 4 trouble sadcheesy

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Codedrock(m): 11:12am On Oct 08, 2013
AND IF YOU ALSO THINK GOODLUCK ROCKS BETA JUST LIKE THIS POST

54 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by livinbygrace: 11:13am On Oct 08, 2013
During Obasanjo"s regime ,Nigerians were more respected among the international communities.No deportation of Nigerians from Togo,Benin Republic or even Kenya.Now our President is a town crier in New York.Thank You.

12 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by abatajjvii: 11:13am On Oct 08, 2013
i guess GEJ should be able to reform Bayelsa

but trying to compare the two i tell you its incomparable that is just it

if GEJ will perform we would have seen it

distraction or no distraction is not an excuse for GEJ not to perform

OBJ also face such but he knew how to handle it for him to achieve what he wants to achieve

am still coming back

bicycle man carry move on
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by awodman: 11:13am On Oct 08, 2013
1) Our elections are now free and fair under GEJ as evident in Edo, Ondo and in the 2011 general elections..the benefits of the people having the power to hire and fire need not be over-emphasized

2) The power reforms of GEJ will dwarf any legacy OBJ left behind

3) Our mass transit systems viz rail, roads, ports and airports will also be another legacy

4) Demystification of Governance and all the secrecy associated with it

5) The reforms in agriculture will also be another legacy

36 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Blessmira: 11:13am On Oct 08, 2013
Well, IMHO, theres no way both of them will av equal achievements. Obj on his own part made Nigerians proud. Likewise Gej, not mindin d menace of Boko haram.
Kudos 2 both! Peace 2 Nigerians! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Codedrock(m): 11:13am On Oct 08, 2013
AND IF YOU THINK THEY BOTH SUCK LIKE HELL.. LIKE THIS POST!.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tinubu In Owo To Condole Akeredolu’s Family (Video) / Dead Body Of 105 Soldiers Killed By Bh Today, For The Lien, Burutai / Court Stops Kano Governor Abba Yusuf From Further Demolition Of Buildings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.