Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,804 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Over Pampering Of the̶̲̥̅̊ Nigerian Youth - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Over Pampering Of the̶̲̥̅̊ Nigerian Youth (1461 Views)

Our Golden Tips On Pampering Your Wife- For Husband / Pampering Of Kids; Is It True Love For Kids Or Misconception Of Love? / Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over Pampering Of the̶̲̥̅̊ Nigerian Youth by adorebee(f): 5:08pm On May 07, 2012
In as much as I know this topic has its own advantages and disadvantages,I want us to view it from both sides.No matter how much we want to shy away from it,LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU LEAVE YOUR COMFORT. ZONE.If we check out the̶̲̥̅̊ profile of many succesful individuals in the̶̲̥̅̊ world today,80 out of 100 made it in their own.This is cos they stared @ life right into the̶̲̥̅̊ face.But here in Nigeria,parents pamper their children even to their own detriment.How would you be bothered about your future when your father Gives u "pocket money" that is more than some peoples' salary?.Abroad,youths look forward to attaining the̶̲̥̅̊ age of 21 so as to gain independence from thier parents.Here in Nigeria,18 yrs doesn't come with much expectation,its just like every other age.if this culture is adopted,I believe we youths would start making more use of our brian more effectively.Productivity and Capitalism has declined because we majority now lack foresight.I know it would be kind of difficult in an environment like nigeria,but believe me,our environment is so because we have not adopted it.Parents can always come in to support,but they should allow the̶̲̥̅̊ youths explore life(positively)Pls let's think about this.THANK YOU
Re: Over Pampering Of the̶̲̥̅̊ Nigerian Youth by EfemenaXY: 6:39pm On May 10, 2012
adorebee: In as much as I know this topic has its own advantages and disadvantages,I want us to view it from both sides.No matter how much we want to shy away from it,LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU LEAVE YOUR COMFORT. ZONE.[b]If we check out T̶̲̥̅̊h̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ profile of many succesful individuals in T̶̲̥̅̊h̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ world today,80 out of 100 made it in their own.T[/b]This is cos they stared @ life right into T̶̲̥̅̊h̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ face.But here in Nigeria,parents pamper their children even to their own detriment.How would you be bothered about your future when your father Gives u "pocket money" that is more than some peoples' salary?.Abroad,youths look forward to attaining T̶̲̥̅̊h̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ age of 21 so as to gain independence from thier parents.Here in Nigeria,18 yrs doesn't come with much expectation,its just like every other age.if this culture is adopted,I believe we youths would start making more use of our brian more effectively.Productivity and Capitalism has declined because we majority now lack foresight.I know it would be kind of difficult in an environment like nigeria,but believe me,our environment is so because we have not adopted it.Parents can always come in to support,but they should allow T̶̲̥̅̊h̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ youths explore life(positively)Pls let's think about this.THANK YOU

Re the bolded: Where did you get your statistics from? Or is this just an assumption of yours?

I think your argument is flawed on many counts. For starters things aren't as easy as you make them sound abroad. It is quite common (even in the UK, for example) to find grown adults still living with their parents whilst trying to get their feet on the property ladder. Now mind you,this was during the boom period.

Now we're in the midst of a recession, with over 1m unemployed 16-24 year olds, there are even more NEETs (Not in Employment, Education or Training) living at home with mum & dad.

Secondly, I think it's a bit unfair of you to accuse Nigerian parents of "molly-cuddling" their offspring, esp in an environment where jobs are difficult / near impossible to come by, no social affordable housing from the government to aid the youths, etc. Bottom line here is this: how can one hope to live an independent life away from one's parents without that all-important self sustaining job?

1 Like

Re: Over Pampering Of the̶̲̥̅̊ Nigerian Youth by adorebee(f): 7:21pm On May 10, 2012
@EFEMENA,I can understand where u re coming from.Perharps the̶̲̥̅̊ problem stem from the̶̲̥̅̊ topic presentation.my massage would have been more clear if I had captioned it differently.Bt u maybe u can understand me if u happen to get close to children of the̶̲̥̅̊ super rich.or perharps A̶̲̥̅♏ talking from experience.....just perharps.How do you develop yourself when up to your early 20s',u re still carried around by a driver?,ur wardrobes changed by your parents?househelps are there @ ur beck'n'call? and u re placed on a fat monthly 'pocket money'?just tell me how? Our background truly shapes our thinking thus these whole luxury makes them to be hardly independent.To worsen it all, they re being placed in top positions that should have been gotten on merit.of course they go ahead and do what they know how to do best>>>Messing things up.A typical example of them are in government seats todAy
Re: Over Pampering Of the̶̲̥̅̊ Nigerian Youth by EfemenaXY: 12:21am On May 11, 2012
Okay.

If you're going to narrow it down to the offspring of the "super rich" as you say - for the sake of this argument, then I hardly think that group of youths would be a fair reflection of the average Nigerian youth.

This is because we're talking about the top (1 - 5%?) of the entire population in Nigeria my guess). If anything, this group you refer to would find it easier to break free & live an independent life as affording their own place would not pose a problem.

Your youth(s) from the average struggling working class and middle class backgrounds who constitute the bulk of the youth population, are the ones who'll find it harder to secure jobs. The much needed jobs that would ensure their independence from mum and dad.

(1) (Reply)

Aso-ebi Debate / Devoted Son Who Lost Both Arms 2 Shock Spoon-feeds Sick Mother Using His Teeth / Why Being The First Issue In A Family Is A Heavy Load

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.