Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,480 members, 7,816,134 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike (9699 Views)

JOHESU To Embark On Nationwide Strike / Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today / JOHESU Suspends Planned Nationwide Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by blackrules1(m): 12:27pm On May 08, 2012
University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital just joined about an hour ago.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Olushyna: 12:30pm On May 08, 2012
4 those dat are condeming d doctors, read d article again medical doctors did nt join d strike. I tink wat we should al do is, to advice govt to impove d health sector so dat they (govt) too can patronise dem witout necesarily going abroad 4 treatment.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 08, 2012
From history,doctors are pioneers in all paramedical areas expect nursing.fields of radiology,laboratory,pharmacy etc are pioneered by doctors.mrs florence started nursing.for example,most drugs are discovered by doctors,most laboratory procedures and stain are discovered by doctors.d father of laboratory medicine is a surgeon. Dr alexandria fleming discovered first antibiotics in history.i would blame doctors carelessness,they allow paramedics to take over their jobs,they trained auxilliary nurses to redicule nurses.i pity doctors.it is high time doctors esp medical elders to do the right thing.
stine b: @Otox, the health workers demand is not based on any trait of Inferiority complex.No particular professional is superior than the other because they work inter dependently to see to good patient management. It is only in Naija that the ill informed masses like yourself see the Medical Doctors as superior to other health care professionals like Radiographers(Imaging diagnosis) Pharmacists(Drug andministering) Medical Laboratory(Fluid diagnosis) Nurses(Patients Care)Physiotherapist(Patient Rehabilitation)Doctors(Treatment) and other ranges of professional with their duties which vis a vis complement each other.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Claracuzio: 12:33pm On May 08, 2012
Its high time government look for alternative health workers. And I think lagos state govt should lift the ban on sales of agbo on the streets.
Well I haven't been to the hospital for treatment in the past 20yrs. I always use herbal remedy when I have malaria, and since the introduction of alomo bitters I have been a faithful user of this product.
So
/ - /
/¯ /
/ /
/´¯/' '/´¯¯`·¸
/'/ / / /¨¯\ Bleep YOU
('( ( ( ( ¯~/' ')
\ ' /
\ _.·´
\ (
\ \ nigerian doctors
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 08, 2012
@diluminati,

It actually happened yesterday evening, but I posted it this morning.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 08, 2012
This country has gone to the gutters, all professionals are important in their own rights. This unionism should be banned. Every profession has union on Nigeria, e.g witches and wizards, policemen, musicians, artists, health workers, Engineers, pepper sellers, car mechanics, electricians, scientists, tailors, herbalist, lecturers..... just name them. Instead of going on strike, why don't they all carry placards and match to ask rock or national assembly. the country is a third world country and they keep drawing it back. Jonathan and is ministers should all go on strike as well grin.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 08, 2012
Laalamed: From history,doctors are pioneers in all paramedical areas expect nursing.fields of radiology,laboratory,pharmacy etc are pioneered by doctors.mrs florence started nursing.for example,most drugs are discovered by doctors,most laboratory procedures and stain are discovered by doctors.d father of laboratory medicine is a surgeon. Dr alexandria fleming discovered first antibiotics in history.i would blame doctors carelessness,they allow paramedics to take over their jobs,they trained auxilliary nurses to redicule nurses.i pity doctors.it is high time doctors esp medical elders to do the right thing.

that still doesn't make one profession greater than the other. what if boko haram employs a rogue physicist from Iran to help them design a nuclear bomb that would wipe off naija off the face of the earth, would your doctors or nurses still be the last people standing.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by NAJALYN: 1:34pm On May 08, 2012
Today strike, tomorrow strike, everyday strike. Government is responsible for this & must be enjoying it. Otherwise they will have salary structures comensurate with the jobs of officers of various ministeries, departments, parastatals, agencies under government. When there is increase in salary, let it apply to all of them; not doing it for two & waiting for others to protest before doing it for them. That way we avoid such protests.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Dr9ce(m): 1:39pm On May 08, 2012
pls let us get a clarification that doctors in the tertiary hospitals are not part of thid strike...all other health workers are part of the strike.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by ziga: 1:49pm On May 08, 2012
Nigeria is a mess.
Thanks to our political leaders who some people seem to be applauding.
The doctors deserve every penny that they are demanding, but also they should be careful coz d innocent masses will be the ones to suffer.
But in d Nigerian jungle where everything is upside down, I don't see any other way they could have made their demands to be met.
It is just ridiculous... a country that lacks doctors with some of the worst healthcare systems in d world is sacking its docs.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 08, 2012
ziga: Nigeria is a mess.
Thanks to our political leaders who some people seem to be applauding.
The doctors deserve every penny that they are demanding, but also they should be careful coz d innocent masses will be the ones to suffer.
But in d Nigerian jungle where everything is upside down, I don't see any other way they could have made their demands to be met.
It is just ridiculous... a country that lacks doctors with some of the worst healthcare systems in d world is sacking its docs.

Imagine a common politician sacking hundreds of medical doctors. It is so sad
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On May 08, 2012
If true, this might be the lift in HealthCare we need in Nigeria. Government definitely needs to invest more into our HealthCare system. It is a shame that in a country with abundant oil, our HealthCare system gets less money than terrorists from Our National Budget, and at the state level, Road construction still gets more money and attention than HealthCare.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Unassuming: 4:37pm On May 08, 2012
Sometimes, it's better to allow market forces decides things! embarking on indefinite strike within 24 hours notice isn't the way a professional body should behave. Agree union must always continue to ask for better working conditions for its memebers, but it's an eternal struggle. We all saw how BA union votes within themselves and gives notice of up to 2 weeks before a strike is started. If Lagos state laws does not allow strike in practice, the doctors union should use their money to lobby thru the right body, or help sporsor candidiates who'd better their lots when in office,or apply to work else where and naturally dearth of doctor supply would force the govt to rethink their stand but These things takes time. Patience and conserted efforts remains a virtue yet to be shown by most Nigerian professional bodies.

Besides, we know our govts officials all rigged themselves into power, striking indefinitely at short notices, knowing they're not accountable to the voters makes no sense. If the reverse were the case, of course these govt officials knows they'd lose the next elections and would swiftly apply reasonable solutions. In the end, the common man suffers needlessly for nothing. I also work in Lagos state and i can tell you that the new tax regime is effective per last April and our salary sheets are already reflecting negative tax remission.

Lagos union of doctors should operate like professionals...use the apparatus of democracy to obtain their needs. apply your union war chest the rightway....lobby lobby lobby! All said, i think the state govt reaction isn't disproportionate. Action and reaction equal and opposite. If the pace of change isn't fast enough for you, go work elsewhere, strikes in Nigeria only hurts the common man never the govt. But if Doctors wants to declare a war against the people, they should come out boldly and say so. no need to hide under some mis-guided muscle flexing contest with their employer.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by mintyx(m): 6:44pm On May 08, 2012
I totally agree with @ NAJALYN that govt should determine a salary based on d nature of work people do. Even though im medical lab scientist i think d nurses do majority of the work in the hospital and they are one who are paid d least! i dont have sympathy for the doctors to always decend so low to think they are d most important in d health profession. That happns only in Africa! The reason for d strike of health workers is not cos they are insensitive, and of course health workers as a union dont always go on strike like doctors do but d are doing this cos doctors want to hijack d whole profession themselves! SMH
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by onyxo76(m): 7:14pm On May 08, 2012
when doctors went on strike everyone was making noise, now nurses and paramedics have declared theirs and everybody is watching events unfold.without these people, doctors are powerless!!!!

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by kinguwem: 7:14pm On May 08, 2012
stine b: @Otox, the health workers demand is not based on any trait of Inferiority complex.No particular professional is superior than the other because they work inter dependently to see to good patient management. It is only in Naija that the ill informed masses like yourself see the Medical Doctors as superior to other health care professionals like Radiographers(Imaging diagnosis) Pharmacists(Drug andministering) Medical Laboratory(Fluid diagnosis) Nurses(Patients Care)Physiotherapist(Patient Rehabilitation)Doctors(Treatment) and other ranges of professional with their duties which vis a vis complement each other.
I'm not surprised at the action of the health workers. Their orientation and mentality is appalling. There is always a lead professional in every system. The doctor is the head of the medical team. The priest is the head of a religious organization. A combatant usually heads a military formation. An engineer is in charge of a construction site. A lawyer is in charge of the judiciary. All members of a team work for a common goal even though their roles may be different. Patients are managed under a medical consultant and not under a pharmacist, nurse or any other paramedic. Roles are well defined in the health care delivery system. Some of the paramedics are not proud of their profession. They usually want to be seen as doctors. They want to be involved in duties they are not trained to performed. For instance a peri-operative cannot perform the duties of a surgeon. An optician cannot claim to be an opthalmolgist. A laboratory scientist cannot be a pathologist. Until things are done properly, the health sector crisis will continue.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by hitmanogo: 9:09pm On May 08, 2012

@stine b u mut be a big idiot to think the doctor is not the most important person in the health sector.a doctor directs the kind of care a patient gets. He determines what is wrong with a patient, not the nurse. Diagnosis is a doctor 's domain not anyone else. Imaging diagnosis as u call it is made by the radiologist not a radiographer and not even. A medical physicist who is even higher than a radiiographer. Fluid diagnosis is made by the pathologist not the medical technologist. Nigerians going abroad for health management go and see doctors of various specialties not nurses and radiographers. Get that into your thick skull and stop misinforming people.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by hitmanogo: 9:09pm On May 08, 2012

@stine b u mut be a big idiot to think the doctor is not the most important person in the health sector.a doctor directs the kind of care a patient gets. He determines what is wrong with a patient, not the nurse. Diagnosis is a doctor 's domain not anyone else. Imaging diagnosis as u call it is made by the radiologist not a radiographer and not even. A medical physicist who is even higher than a radiiographer. Fluid diagnosis is made by the pathologist not the medical technologist. Nigerians going abroad for health management go and see doctors of various specialties not nurses and radiographers. Get that into your thick skull and stop misinforming people.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Chyvy(f): 9:12pm On May 08, 2012
childluck: Politicians should earn like civil servants then all these nonsense and unpatriotic demands would have no premise.

Exactly!!!
embarassed
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 08, 2012
Claracuzio: Its high time government look for alternative health workers. And I think lagos state govt should lift the ban on sales of agbo on the streets.
Well I haven't been to the hospital for treatment in the past 20yrs. I always use herbal remedy when I have malaria, and since the introduction of alomo bitters I have been a faithful user of this product.
So
/ - /
/¯ /
/ /
/´¯/' '/´¯¯`·¸
/'/ / / /¨¯\ Bleep YOU
('( ( ( ( ¯~/' ')
\ ' /
\ _.·´
\ (
\ \ nigerian doctors

You're so ignorant...God will not let u av hernia or appendicitis...Dnt worry u can always drink ur alomo bitters to cure it. Infact alomo bitters also cures sickle cell anemia and AIDS.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by ikechiozo: 8:30am On May 09, 2012
It is you that needs to get some clarification into your skull if at all there is something inside it. You need to understand what the striking workers are agitating for, the professionals you mentioned are but a fraction of the other health workforce on strike. Nobody is contesting the head of your medical team with you. You can head your residents, house officers and other doctors but i do know that i dont need a doctor to perform my independent professional actions and decisions. It ill behoves you, considering your level of education to make such uninformed comments here. it is clear from your post that you dont know how other departments outside your pathology run, for example you said a radiographer is the least ranked amongst radiologist, medical physicist and radiographer. This is pure fallacy, as these three are different professionals and they all have their role to play before a diagnosis is made. The health workers are not requesting to head your team. All we are saying is that those positions that are purely administrative in duties should be open to all professionals within the system that are qualified. For these positions a good knowledge of management, accounting, Administration is indispensable....Pls tell me are these skills part of what is tested in an mbbs exam except i have forgotten how its done. bigger idiot
hitmanogo:

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Dnaz(m): 10:34am On May 09, 2012
How can a radiographer claim to be more impt dan a radiologist. Ist a radiographer can only take pictures of d body but does not understand it. It is only a radiologist(a doctor) who can also take d pix n interprete it into a def diagnosis. Also a med lab tech cannot be compared to a pathologist cos he does not understand d pathogenesis of d results n can't tackle d diesease. dese professions were introduced to reduce d burden of doctors n not to be independent of dem. Docs can do all deir work but dey can never do d works of doctors n dat is a fact so dey can't claim equality. D only oda health profession of more relevance but yet cannot b compared to a doc is d nurse n pharmacists. But dese should not expect to be considered on d same level as a medical consultant who has had a minimum of 12 yrs of med training. Dere can b only one captain in a ship. N no oda health profession can claim dis oda dan an MBBS holder.go to developed nations, dere r no lab tech,radiographers dese positions r being taken care of by docs who have specialised in these areas. And 4 d nurse n pharmacists, dey ll forever do what d doctors say cos to do odawise is to kill patients. So WTF abt all health professions r equal sey r not. If u r jealous, get a JAMB form n pass 2ru d rigorous trainin in med skul. Remember no carryover

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by ikechiozo: 11:00am On May 09, 2012
Dnaz: How can a radiographer claim to be more impt dan a radiologist. Ist a radiographer can only take pictures of d body but does not understand it. It is only a radiologist(a doctor) who can also take d pix n interprete it into a def diagnosis. Also a med lab tech cannot be compared to a pathologist cos he does not understand d pathogenesis of d results n can't tackle d diesease. dese professions were introduced to reduce d burden of doctors n not to be independent of dem. Docs can do all deir work but dey can never do d works of doctors n dat is a fact so dey can't claim equality. D only oda health profession of more relevance but yet cannot b compared to a doc is d nurse n pharmacists. But dese should not expect to be considered on d same level as a medical consultant who has had a minimum of 12 yrs of med training. Dere can b only one captain in a ship. N no oda health profession can claim dis oda dan an MBBS holder.go to developed nations, dere r no lab tech,radiographers dese positions r being taken care of by docs who have specialised in these areas. And 4 d nurse n pharmacists, dey ll forever do what d doctors say cos to do odawise is to kill patients. So WTF abt all health professions r equal sey r not. If u r jealous, get a JAMB form n pass 2ru d rigorous trainin in med skul. Remember no carryover

On a normal day i would ignore your post but for the sake of people that may not know what goes on within the health system especially as it applies to Nigeria, clarifications need to be made. Firstly, the issue under contention is not about superiority as docs have come to see themselves as demi-gods but about recognition of d independence of other healthcare professionals in exercising their duties. I don't need a radiologist to tell me when there is a bone fracture, a chest infection, tumour and so on. If you must know the training a radiographer receives in the five year training in the university is what a radiologist starts to learn during the residency training. A radiographer can take the radiographs but a radiologist cannot do that. In the UK radiographers are empowered to make interpretations. You need to be well informed.

Its obvious you dont know what is obtainable outside Nigeria. Do you think is everyone that is interested in studying to be a doctor? This is the rubbish they feed you with right from your school cos i can tell that you are still a student.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Dnaz(m): 12:55pm On May 09, 2012
ikechiozo:

On a normal day i would ignore your post but for the sake of people that may not know what goes on within the health system especially as it applies to Nigeria, clarifications need to be made. Firstly, the issue under contention is not about superiority as docs have come to see themselves as demi-gods but about recognition of d independence of other healthcare professionals in exercising their duties. I don't need a radiologist to tell me when there is a bone fracture, a chest infection, tumour and so on. If you must know the training a radiographer receives in the five year training in the university is what a radiologist starts to learn during the residency training. A radiographer can take the radiographs but a radiologist cannot do that. In the UK radiographers are empowered to make interpretations. You need to be well informed.

Its obvious you dont know what is obtainable outside Nigeria. Do you think is everyone that is interested in studying to be a doctor? This is the rubbish they feed you with right from your school cos i can tell that you are still a student.
This ur quote ll be classified as an abomination even as a student I did radiology posting so how come. A radiologist who is an MBBS holder ll start learnin abt radiography in residency. I ll blame dis on ignorance. Besides we ll keep laughing @ dose clamouring 4 equality a dream dat can never be a reality.I don't have to waste my time here
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by ikechiozo: 2:11pm On May 09, 2012
Dnaz:
This ur quote ll be classified as an abomination even as a student I did radiology posting so how come. A radiologist who is an MBBS holder ll start learnin abt radiography in residency. I ll blame dis on ignorance. Besides we ll keep laughing @ dose clamouring 4 equality a dream dat can never be a reality.I don't have to waste my time here

You are indeed very ignorant. It still boils down to what people say about doctors.Doctors feel they know everything..Becos you did a two-week radiology posting u feel you know what is the content of the residency training for radiologists....u had better ask questions before coming here to display your ignorance.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Dnaz(m): 2:44pm On May 09, 2012
ikechiozo:

You are indeed very ignorant. It still boils down to what people say about doctors.Doctors feel they know everything..Becos you did a two-week radiology posting u feel you know what is the content of the residency training for radiologists....u had better ask questions before coming here to display your ignorance.

As a radiographer u don't have d knowledge to make a diagnosis. That is y dere r radiologists.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by ikechiozo: 2:55pm On May 09, 2012
Dnaz:

As a radiographer u don't have d knowledge to make a diagnosis. That is y dere r radiologists.

Radiologists dont have the knowledge to dispense radiation and produce diagnostic images. Thats why radiographers are there... grin
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Dnaz(m): 2:56pm On May 09, 2012
I
ikechiozo:

I m not quarelling with u I m just trying to show u y radiologists are superior to radiographers. Diagnosis is d difference b/w d two. d truth may b bitter but it ll always set u free
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by sms4health: 2:57pm On May 09, 2012
The only one suffering in this case? Please guess.

The PATIENTS!

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Dnaz(m): 2:58pm On May 09, 2012
ikechiozo:

Radiologists dont have the knowledge to dispense radiation and produce diagnostic images. Thats why radiographers are there... grin

There is nothin and I mean absolutely nothin a radiographer knows dat a radiologist does not know
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by ikechiozo: 3:03pm On May 09, 2012
Dnaz:

There is nothin and I mean absolutely nothin a radiographer knows dat a radiologist does not know

in the same vein, There is nothing a radiologist know has pertain making diagnosis that a radiographer doesn't know. In the UK and Australia radiographers make interpretation. Bye i am done with u
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike by Dnaz(m): 3:03pm On May 09, 2012
This is just like comparing an Engineer to a technician

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For December 13 2020 In Nigeria / Male Child Circumcision / NCDC Adds 5 New Labs To Its Molecular Laboratory Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.