Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,667 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods (28789 Views)

22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 8:44am On May 10, 2012
please, for a month now, ive been on bp medication, was asked to take low fat foods, but, ive searched d net , the only low fat foods i see are foreign foods. [/b]please, i will like someone to tell me the nigerian foods that are low ft. thanks[b].

1 Like

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by MissyB3(f): 10:26am On May 10, 2012
* Consume less palm oil, as it contains lots of fat.
* You're advised to consume only/mostly goat meat ( it is 50-65% lower in fat than other red meats like beef, and it's rich in protein). If you must consume other red meat, make sure you trim off as much excess fat as possible.

The table on this page could also be of help: http://www.greenstone.org/greenstone3/nzdl?a=d&d=HASHd62922049e06a6eba70fbe.3.1.np&c=ccgi&sib=1&dt=&ec=&et=&p.a=b&p.s=ClassifierBrowse&p.sa=

Hopefully, someone else comes up with a helpful suggestion.

1 Like

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 10:37am On May 10, 2012
thanks, but in that table, what dose ca, fe and naicin mean? thanks
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by MissyB3(f): 11:02am On May 10, 2012
Niacin (nicotinic acid) : a crystalline acid, C 6 H 5 NO 2 , that is a component of the vitamin-B complex, found in fresh meat, yeast, etc., produced by the oxidation of nicotine, and used in the prevention and treatment of pellagra.

Fe - Iron

Ca - Calcium

1 Like

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 10, 2012
my last question.
is it d same quanity of carbohydrate if u eat 1 plate of rice or 2 plates, hw is the fat and carbohydrate measured, is it the larger the quantity of food, d more the fat ?
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by SNCOQ3(m): 4:40pm On May 10, 2012
crusifis: my last question.
is it d same quanity of carbohydrate if u eat 1 plate of rice or 2 plates, hw is the fat and carbohydrate measured, is it the larger the quantity of food, d more the fat ?

Sorry about the ailment. I think you should just try to be a vegetarian for the next 12 months; Might not be easy but it will sure help a great deal.

1 Like

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 10, 2012
thanks, but will be happy if my earlier question is answerd
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by MissEZ(f): 4:49pm On May 10, 2012
Vegetarian does not equal low fat.

Eat more fruits and veggies as this are guaranteed low fat meals

breakfast can be a cup of oatmeal and a piece of fruit with a little milk and sugar

Lunch can be beans cooked with less oil and put in some vegetable leaves.

dinner can be salad with carrots, green peas, corn, what ever veggies. Use very little salad cream

But make sure that when you are eating meals you try to incorporate veggies or fruits into each meal. Fill up your plate with less rice and more veggies.

Also go for lean meant like chicken without skin, fish. Avoid frying stuff. boil them or bake them in the oven.

Cook stews, vegetable soups and other soups with less palm oil. Low fat foods is more of an approach to how you cook the foods we have. Boil potatoes and plantain. Dont fry them. Get creative. Reduce butter, avoid fast foods.

In answer to your question, the amount of fat in the food is determined by its composition. For instance you most likely will find a higher fat content in oil based foods, meats and such, than you would find in grains and veggies or fruits. Some fruits like avocado is higher in fat, but these are healthy fats that should be eaten sparingly. Also nuts like groundnut also have high fat content, but this is also healthy fats, eat them sparingly. If you are not avoiding carbs as well, boil yam, potatoes, and other starchy food. They have high carb content, but the fats will not be as high. The more the quantity of fatty foods you eat, the higher the fat content, so choose wisely

This will be a good time for you to go on google and research foods. Eat fresh for the most part and you will be fine.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 10, 2012
Miss EZ: Vegetarian does not equal low fat.

Eat more fruits and veggies as this are guaranteed low fat meals

breakfast can be a cup of [/b]oatmeal and a piece of fruit with a little milk and sugar[b]

Lunch can be beans cooked with less oil and put in some vegetable leaves.

dinner can be salad with carrots, green peas, corn, what ever veggies. Use very little salad cream

But make sure that when you are eating meals you try to incorporate veggies or fruits into each meal. Fill up your plate with less rice and more veggies.

Also go for lean meant like chicken without skin, fish. Avoid frying stuff. boil them or bake them in the oven.

Cook stews, vegetable soups and other soups with less palm oil. Low fat foods is more of an approach to how you cook the foods we have. Boil potatoes and plantain. Dont fry them. Get creative. Reduce butter, avoid fast foods.

Not only will you get healthier, you will lose weight.

In answer to your question, the amount of fat in the food is determined by its composition. For instance you most likely will find a higher fat content in oil based foods, meats and such, than you would find in grains and veggies or fruits. Some fruits like avocado is higher in fat, but these are healthy fats that should be eaten sparingly. Also nuts like groundnut also have high fat content, but this is also healthy fats, eat them sparingly. If you are not avoiding carbs as well, boil yam, potatoes, and other starchy food. They have high carb content, but the fats will not be as high. The more the quantity of fatty foods you eat, the higher the fat content, so choose wisely

This will be a good time for you to go on google and research foods. Eat fresh for the most part and you will be fine.

that breakfast for someone that wakes up in the morning like 5am and starts gettong ready for work, mostly eat outside,(work monday to saturdays and close late, not much time to cook) \nd im a bachelor
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by MissEZ(f): 5:30pm On May 10, 2012
Well, its your health we are talking about. If it is serious for you, you will get creative about how, where and when you eat. If you cannot cook first thing in the morning, then look for handy things that you can pick. For instance i leave home early in the morning, I grab an apple, banana and pineapple chunks for breakfast. If i chop them up, it will be a fruit salad, but since i cant, i eat them whole. Besides you can prepare your meals the night before and pack them so that in the morning you can grab and go.

Being a Bachelor is not an excuse, it works in Naija but still that does not mean you cannot take care of your own meals. If you are eating on the go, then figure out the best way to eat healthy and low fat. where do you eat and what kind of foods do they offer? The only way this can work for you is for you to prepare your own meals, or have someone do it for you. Asides from that, i dont have any other suggestions that can help you

I think i have given you some good ideas about how to reduce fat in your diet, it is up to you to figure out how you will make it work for you. I know this much about healthy eating cos i took the time to do the research and figure out how to make it work for me and fit it into my schedule. Try and do the same for yourself and i hope your health improves and you recover fully.

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by kaeto(m): 5:49pm On May 10, 2012
Here is your therapy

(1)for your tea avoid milk,chocolate n sugar,instead, use, mushroom milk or skimmed milk,lipton n refined honey n use wheatbread,there are also cholesterol free butter, all from a supermarket.

(2)take boiled/roasted plantain as a meal,say 4/ more times a week

(3)in place of starchy swallows,take wheat n vegetable soup.

(4)use snail,crabs, water snails,chicken, bushmeat,n if u can eat a lot of water turtle-this a very important therapy.

(5)take bananas almost daily,they contain potassium that nullifies the elements of the ailment n avoid table salts,they contain sodium that enhances the ailment.take also a lot of fruits n use them as meals like 3 or more times a week especially at nights.

(6)observe your exercise n have sex(in good mood).

Just start here n be in good health, thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 10, 2012
kaeto: Here is your therapy

(1)for your tea avoid milk,chocolate n sugar,instead, use, mushroom milk or skimmed milk,lipton n refined honey n use wheatbread,there are also cholesterol free butter, all from a supermarket.

(4)use snail,crabs, water snails,chicken, bushmeat,n if u can eat a lot of water turtle-this a very important therapy.

(5)take bananas almost daily,they contain potassium that nullifies the elements of the ailment n avoid table salts,they contain sodium that enhances the ailment.take also a lot of fruits n use them as meals like 3 or more times a week especially at nights.

Thanks, I can do thesee, more achievable, thank you very much
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Ibime(m): 6:08pm On May 10, 2012
You can have stew with stir fry (rather than rice).

Beans is very good, especially non-porridge beans

Suya is very good

Shaki also good. . .dont eat the fatty bits

Unripe plantain

Peppersoup
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by popegirl(f): 6:34pm On May 10, 2012
try this

Sunday:

B: 2 BOILED EGGS
L: 1 PIECE OF FRESH FISH WITH VEGETABLE soup(COMPULSORY)
D: 2 PIECE OF CHICKEN (BOILED) WITH ONE APPLE
MONDAY
L: SALAD AND CHICKEN (ROASTED OR FRIED)
D: FISH PEPPERSOUP WITH ONE APPLE
TUESDAY
B: 2 APPLES, WITH LOADS OF WATER
L: ONE CUP OF BEANS WITH CHICKEN
WEDNESDAY
B: 2 BOILED EGGS WITH STEW
L: MOI MOI (1 WRAP)
D: SUYA WITH SALAD/TOMATOES

THURSDAY
B: 1 CUCUMBER WITH THREE CHERRY TOMATOES
L: CHIKEN PEPPERSOUP
D: FRIED FISH AND VEGETABLE SOUP
FRIDAY:
B: 2 hard boiled eggs
L: MEAT PEPPERSOUP WITH ONE APPLE
D: SALAD AND FISH

SATURDAY

B: SALAD AND EGGS
L: CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLE SOUP
D: SUYA WITH ONE APPLE

SUNDAY:
B: SALAD WITH EGGS
L: 6 TABLESPOONS OF RICE WITH STEW
D: ANYTHING OF YOU CHOICE WITH ONE APPLE
YOU SHOULD DO THIS FOR THE FIRST TWO WEEKS!

3 Likes

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by StepG: 6:55pm On May 10, 2012
I was diagonosed with same issue of excess cholestrol recently when I went to india for check up.Chief among the major therapies I was asked to observe is drinking four litres of water everyday this is because the work done in raising the temperature of the water to 32deg c.as required by your body Is equal to the amount of bad cholestrol been burnt by your body.Another thing is exercise which must bring sweat,avoid fried foods,take little of starchy foods,live on fruits for a whole day once in a while.avoid alcohol jst red wine if you must shack,avoid too much mango n banana. good luck.
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by damola1: 7:28pm On May 10, 2012
Step-G:
I was diagonosed with same issue of excess cholestrol recently when I went to india for check up.Chief among the major therapies I was asked to observe is drinking four litres of water everyday this is because the work done in raising the temperature of the water to 32deg c.as required by your body Is equal to the amount of bad cholestrol been burnt by your body.Another thing is exercise which must bring sweat,avoid fried foods,take little of starchy foods,live on fruits for a whole day once in a while.avoid alcohol jst red wine if you must shack,avoid too much mango n banana. good luck.

kaeto: Here is your therapy

One advises eat banana daily, the other advises don't eat banana.. bros, better go ask doctors oh... cos... no say na nairaland cos health wahala oh!

4 Likes

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by sigba(f): 7:36pm On May 10, 2012
popegirl:
try this

Sunday:

MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY
FRIDAY:

SATURDAY

SUNDAY:
Eggs are very high in cholesterol and not advisable to consume daily as an adult.

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 10, 2012
I would suggest you print the post from Mis Ez and post it on your kitchen wall.
Quick oats takes less than ten minutes to prepare so shouldn't take much time in the morning.
I think eating small meals like five to six times in a day will help to control the type of food you eat, instead eating two or three large meals.
I eat oats or high bran cereals with fruits like banana, apple or even carrots instead of sugar and milk. Sardines (drained) fat free yoghurt, veggies, small portions of rice, beans, skinless chicken, eggs.
It will be difficult at first but with careful planning and dedication you will do it. And again read the post from Mis Ez. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by PrettyCindy(f): 8:09pm On May 10, 2012
Mehn.........this is real good. One thing that trips me about nairaland is that if you come here with any kind of question, you are damn sure of getting some answers, all for free.
I know a few persons who have weight issues. I will refer them to this website/thread so they will benefit from the kindness of the above persons. @ op, thanks for opening this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 10, 2012
damola1:

One advises eat banana daily, the other advises don't eat banana.. bros, better go ask doctors oh... cos... no say na nairaland cos health wahala oh!

Even among the doctors, you hear all such contradictory prescriptions. I'm also on similar diet monitoring, not cholesterol though. I've given up, as many foods that Dr A and B consider ok are considered dont-eat by Drs X and Y.

1 Like

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by Piyke: 9:16pm On May 10, 2012
Here's what sound medical knowledge approves of for high BP

1. Low salt
2. Fish, chicken(without skin). Things like nkwobi, cowleg are not good for u
3. Exercise 15mins at least 3 times a week.
4. Reduce oil especially palm oil. Cholesterol free oil is better for you
5. fruit n veggies
6. Avoid things that contain caffeine eg tea, coffee, energy drinks, kola nut

Fish like mackerel is high in polyunsaturated fat and omega 3 acids which unlike saturated fat actually helps the heart so oily fish is actually good for you.

1 Like

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by BigBenoski(m): 10:25pm On May 10, 2012
popegirl:
try this

Sunday:

MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY
FRIDAY:

SATURDAY

SUNDAY:
he wont last month with these. Damn!

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by duality(m): 10:45pm On May 10, 2012
BigBenoski: he wont last month with these. Damn!

how?
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by MissEZ(f): 10:54pm On May 10, 2012
@Greyfog, thanks for reading my post, oatmeal is a very nutritious meal that people take forgranted. I learnt to eat healthy cos i decided to take control of my weight. We can tell the poster what to eat, but at the end of the day, he has to make the choice to do what it takes to stay healthy.
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by tpia5: 2:05am On May 11, 2012
oats are actually one of the easiest foods to prepare.
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by lexus1: 8:10am On May 11, 2012
I also want to know![img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by mailty: 8:44am On May 11, 2012
You can also get healthy eating cookware, i mean surgical stainless steel cookware. With this, you can cook with no oil and salt and still enjoy your meals. You will taste your yam, rice, chicken and veggies like never before.You will not feel that you are on a ristricted diet and you wil retain over 90%nutrients in your food and the flavour is100%.
Google healthy eating cookware or surgical stainless cookware and look for a place you can buy in Nigeria. There are so many companies that produce it, if you cant get it, look for some that can help you buy from abroad. Believe me, if you taste meals prepared with this cookware you will not wish your old pots on your enemies.
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by snthesis(m): 10:46am On May 11, 2012
go on a garri diet, soak garri with cold water, no sugar for a month and tell me the result. thats why Yoruba Men are very healthy
Re: Types Of Low Fat Nigerian Foods by agboifo(f): 10:50am On May 11, 2012
Good advice all above.

In addition (though not a diet), exercise regularly.
If you can, 30 minutes or 15 minutes everyday.
You don't need to go to the gym
a) Walk instead of taking the bus
b) Take the stairs instead of using the elevator
c) If your work is desk bound, stand up to retrieve things you need

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Found Maggot Inside The Fried Fish He Bought For Ramadan Fast / 6 Health Benefits Of Coconut Water / Kinds Of Food I Need To Increase My Muscles...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.