Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:19 PM

.NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested (17992 Views)

Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? / [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This / Please Help! Difficulty In Deploying A Finished And Running Vb.net Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

.NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On Nov 14, 2007
I have been thinking about how I could use my Software/Web Development skills to help the development of education in Nigeria and I came up with an idea that would require I solicit the help of other programmers out there who would like to help by contributing their time and effort to improvement life in schools in Nigeria and potentially around africa and worldwide.

We know that one of the major issues in many of the public schools around the country is funding. Most schools still remain in situations where student data is being handled the old fashioned way ( stacks of paper work). My idea is one where we (I and every other programmer interested in working on this project) put together basically an open source School Management application that can work to help schools log data on students, process student records, allow students access to their information from anywhere, allow schools and teachers communicate teaching tools with students, allow teachers create course portals where they can exchange ideas with students and basically other teachers.

We have been crying for years that the educational system is at this time, not close to where it ought to be, in Nigeria and even in most of Africa, and I believe that having an open source system like that will not only help schools but also allow people outside of the country get easier access to information on schools in remote areas through this portal.

So far, this is the idea I have. If You are interested in the program please post and we can use this thread to discuss how to handle the project and get the solution started. Since

2 Likes

Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by FemiATL: 10:37pm On Nov 15, 2007
Interesting!--------I and some other guys started the now online students registration system that some universities are using in Naija now in 1999/2000----actually development kicked of in 2000. Even with the little resources it eventually evolved into what some banks have now turned into a money making machine.
However your project will introduce other stuff that we did not plan for the portal due to scalability, since internet was epileptic at that time.
It is a good plan and I wish you success on the project.
The problem we have in Naija is that some people are more interested in making money than actually doing something first, before making the money. So getting the people to work on this project will require you look in and beyond the shores of Naija and selling the idea to them too. Personally i am yet to identify a sign of dedication amongst the Naija programmers.
Till then---lets see. I will be watching the thread.

GodSpeed
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 2:49am On Nov 16, 2007
I understand your concerns @Femi. But I do believe there are some, yes, maybe a few decent people out there in the country who are not motivated by money. The project is one that could be used both ways. Even after building the solution, it could be marketed as needed but that, to me is a long ways away. Right now, this is more one way for programmers to put their skills to work when it comes to developing the country and our education system the best we know how.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Seun(m): 12:30pm On Nov 16, 2007
The main reason why such software isn't being used in many schools right now is NEPA/PHCN. Fairly used computers are inexpensive and parents are willing to donate, but they all run on electricity, which is unavailable and unreliable. Another problem is that investing in a suitable Internet service for a school costs money. It's not about software.

What software do schools really need. 99% of their needs can be satisfied by simple Microsoft Word (letters, typing question papers, etc) and Microsoft Excel (reports, results, attendance, etc) or even Open Office. Problem: NEPA.

1 Like

Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 1:18pm On Nov 16, 2007
Nigeria is developing by the day, only a couple of years ago, we could not imagine people in Nigeria would have access to the kind of technology they do today. The one good thing with this sort of project is that while this focuses on software needs, there are other people focused on providing such needs as power to schools and internet access as well ie. OLPC project.

Having a solution available to be used when the other issues get fixed is a good way to go instead of waiting on the sidelines for magic to happen BEFORE we embark on contributing the much we can through such projects as this.

Yes, MS office suite can help schools maintain information but I am almost certain schools would appreciate a free application to deal with their need than spend so much money on acquiring such tools as Microsoft office. A Free tool that is better tailored to their needs seems more logical. We are speaking here of the public school system that barely gets enough money from the government to pay it's staff.

So yes, there are so many walls to block schools from benefitting from this project, at this time, but that does not mean it will always exist. I am optimistic the country is moving forward, even if only in my dreams and I believe we as developers can cut our way into the process through projects such as this and more.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Hayorbahmy(m): 3:52pm On Nov 16, 2007
Well this is a good initiative coming up.
@ Seun
Look at the brighter side of life, Nothing is impossible it is just a matter of time the situation of power in Nigeria would be better.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 4:36pm On Nov 17, 2007
This sort of project, depending on how many programmers get involved can take upwards of 6 months to a year to complete. Once it is completed, Individual programmers can customize the final solution to individual schools as needed. I imagine being able to get a contract from the Federal Ministry of Education, to handle the IT needs of individual schools or even schools in a certain state or region using this software. Schools can submit requests for change for new additions that can be easily made to the main framework. And so this solution is and will be desirable in the future.

On the other end of this, this project can serve as resume boosters for IT guys and gals out there who are looking for an great project to add to their resume for potential employers. More and more employers are looking to hire candidates who work pretty well under minimum supervsion and able to work remotely on projects. This would be a very good way to learn for many.

For a project like this, We would need, Web Developers, Software Developers, DBAs, Network Administrators, Project Managers etc
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Cprompt: 12:25pm On Nov 19, 2007
Hi, That was a very good idea you have there. I think I am intrested in such and I will like to contribut in any way
Thanks
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 9:01pm On Nov 19, 2007
Welcome @CPrompt, Please introduce yourself and tell us more of what skills to bring to the table
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by reachyusuf: 12:50pm On Nov 20, 2007
Hi, thats a perfect idea I have a five years experince in vb/vb.net programming and also a very good skill in database design and implementation with an indian guru. i have a school management software runing in some schools in nigeria soo i think i have a quota to contribute, i will be very intrested to be part of this.

Mobile: 08035829226
Email: reachyusuf@yahoo.com

Good Luck
No Time
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by kanirip: 6:22pm On Nov 20, 2007
Hello all,

I am impressed by the thought process of KoboJunkie and I would like to enlist myself as one of the
possible contributors to this projectors if that is OK.

My major specialities revolve around Enterprise Software Development but unfortunately I have only
tested myself with Java (althought I am in the process of learning C#) but I hope I can be of some
assistance as I also have experience as a DBA and DB Developer with various DBMS such as MySQL and
MS SQL Server and Oracle and even SQL Lite.

I can also perform Software Testing!

SO any sort of assistance I can give will be given happily.

I fear the problem for Open-Source is that it simply can not thrive in a developing country for the mere fact that a
people must be comfortable before they can contemplate even developing software and listing them under a license that states that your code is redistributable for NO charge at all! It is a difficult concept to grasp!

For example, the person who worked with the scheduling mechanism module in Liunux was a zoo-keeper in Australia who created the module( I hear he wasn't even a programmer when he started looking at linux code) and received nothing for it.
He just liked 'playing with things'.

Its very difficult to 'play with things' in this country when NEPA can strike an any time, when you are thinking of how to get to work the next morning( on time and not get robbed in a bus) and how not to get robbed that night!

Ironically enough I don't think its software developers that can establish Open Source in this Country.

It's Everyone else!

My email address: kanirip@gmail.com

Take Care.

K
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 7:34pm On Nov 21, 2007
Thank you all for showing interest. I am in the process of setting up a server machine for this project and digging for freeware that will allow us keep tabs of the project and who is doing what so that we can all know how far we are in the project.

In the meantime, if you have any suggestions for how we should go about doing this or what we could add, please feel free to post your ideas and we can all discuss and make a decision as a team.

If you need to brush up on .NET skills or like to learn a new thing, Please visit

http://windowsclient.net/learn/videos.aspx

http://www.asp.net/learn/

http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/Members/Default.aspx ( if you need a video from this, let me know so I can download it for you)

http://silverlight.net/Learn/

http://www.iis.net/default.aspx?tabid=1
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by opensource(m): 11:35am On Nov 27, 2007
I am in but how do you intend making it open source when its a .NET C#/ VB.NET project.

Get a .NET host cost huge money .
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On Nov 27, 2007
.NET Hosting is just as cheap as Php Hosting. Tons of OpenSource .NET programs out there for people to download and use these days.

http://www.asp.net/community/projects/

I have a personal server but still purchase hosting cause it is cheaper that way for me .
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Syma: 6:54pm On Nov 27, 2007
This is what i've been hungry for since (spend my life coding). having read this post, i decided to register and make my own contribution of being part of this project.

I also promise to be of help (provide books) to any person who wants to be part of this, but doesn't have any programming knowledge. I love this idea.

symccord@yahoo.com
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 7:17pm On Nov 27, 2007
Welcome Syma. I believe since we are already close to the end of the year, We take time to get tools together for all persons who would like to be involved from the start and get online tools set up to help us all keep track of the work and then start first thing 2008 on the actual coding work that needs to be done. In the mean time, please feel free to post ideas of what you would like to include in the main and we can all discuss it.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Syma: 10:34am On Nov 28, 2007
I think the problem with lots of IT guys in naija is the lack of materials. I truly set out myself to help the IT guys in naija to develop mostly in programming. If you look around to most of the IT guys in Nigeria, you’ll discover that 85% of them are in Networking and Hardware repair, not even in a nut shell because we all want to make quick money, and not wanting to spend our money and time in what we can’t get immediate result in. You mustn't be a professional before you start making money with programming or involving yourself in a big programming. Once you start, you will see the evolution of yourself in programming. I want us to thinks more in programming because is more fun to see people using what you developed to solve their problems and more.
“Look at the end product”

I have lots of books to help with for now.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Agod: 11:22am On Nov 28, 2007
smiley kiss smiley
i Gbadun guys. i'm a programmer and trainer. i write good codes in vb and c#. i want 2 make money by developing ppl (naijas in particular). lets start this. i luv it.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by wrighto2n: 1:42pm On Nov 28, 2007
nice idea, i am an experienced web developer, programmer. fluent in vb/vb.net, mysql, php etc. i'll like to be part of the project. you can request for preview of some of my projects.

Regards,
Ottun L.O.
+234-805-856-2159
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Cprompt: 5:01pm On Nov 28, 2007
Thanks brother in the house,
I don't really know so much but I know I can contribute. Please I need to lean more on .net, so I am intrested in that clips you want to download
Thanks
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Cprompt: 5:07pm On Nov 28, 2007
Dear Agod ,
I am Cprompt as I said I want to lean more from you.
How do we see.
you can reach me via rolandc52002@yahoo.com
or
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Nov 28, 2007
Does anyone of you have experience in Project Management ?? Do you know of any Software or program out there that exists to help people working remotely on projects better keep up with tasks and development deadlines and needs I currently use Source Safe with groups I work with but I am guessing not a lot of you folks have VS Team or source safe. If there is a free version of similar, please inform the group.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 2:17am On Nov 30, 2007
I found a cool Project management application that happens to be free and online. Please check it out as it would go a long way in helping us with the project. If you  have time, please check it out

http://www.viewpath.com/
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by follasuk: 2:05am On Dec 01, 2007
i am really interested in your idea and i wish we could do the project together. my phone no is 08057865721 & my email id is follasuk@yahoo.co.uk.thank you.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by wrighto2n: 4:13pm On Dec 01, 2007
good, i've seen the site (i.e. viewpath.net) and i've registered with the site but how do i locate the team on this project or haven't u create one? i dont know how to send invitation from the site yet cos i've not really gone thru it but in case u need my email: lookman_ngr@yahoo.co.uk
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 1:22pm On Dec 03, 2007
Hi All,

I created a Project page on ViewPath https://www.viewpath.net/ and added you all to the Project. Please check your emails to see the linked sent to you and if you need to sign up, please go ahead so we can check this utility out and see if it will suit our need in this case.

I also would like to suggest that we use MVC architecture in our development. I also suggest we build on the .NET 3.0 or latest platform. The Beta version of Visual Studio 2008 is available for download. If you need help downloading it , let me know. Express is still free. Below are some really good links to help give you an idea of what I mean. Please feel free to post suggestions as you want .

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/10/14/asp-net-mvc-framework.aspx

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ScottGuMVCPresentationAndScottHaScreencastFromALTNETConference.aspx

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/11/13/asp-net-mvc-framework-part-1.aspx
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by MisterMan(m): 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2007
Good talk, Kobojunkie. I have wanted to reply you since but I keep procrastinating. I did something close to what you are talking about. Though I had the private schools in mind. It did not go as I hoped because I was in the North them and those kind of things are not appreciated over there. What I had in mind is very close so yours, but in some sence your idea is kind of super set of mine, though where mine focussed is not where yours focussed. Though I gave my source code to someone but I can't find him anymore. I will go in and see where I can come in. I have one or two things I want to discuss with you. Right now I am busy, when I am ready, I will mail you. Please leave behing you email address or mail me at tianshihotguy@yahoo.com. Cheers
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by MisterMan(m): 2:55pm On Dec 06, 2007
Tried to go to the site but couldn't. Hope there is no problem with it. Let's hope that the problem is from here, my line is very slow now. Will re-try later
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 3:26pm On Dec 06, 2007
What site??
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by MisterMan(m): 5:07pm On Dec 06, 2007
https://www.viewpath.net/. I think the problem is from my end. The service is soooooo slow. I could not even log in to yahoo, so the problem could not be from https://www.viewpath.net/. One thing I know with our connection here is that it is always slow in the afternoons. Will try it later or tomorrow.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Kobojunkie: 5:26pm On Dec 06, 2007
I will add you to the group and then you can easily log in to it.
Re: .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested by Awaya1: 1:01pm On Dec 28, 2007
Kudos to you guys!!! It gives me lots of relief and hope coming accross guys who are very much positive and purposeful in this our great country against all odds. I have gone through lots of comments and contribtions on this tread, and for me, it shows that with the likes of Kobojunkie and others who have responded postively to the great idea, it's just a matter of time for our nation to be shaped up and become the envy of other nations the world over!

Let me confirm to you that I am very much interested in this great idea and ready to contribute my own quota to ensure it becomes a celebrated success  and a stepping stone towards greater projects in the nearest future.

I am an exprienced DB Administrator,Software  Developer and Analyst. Among other technologies/tools I can use, am most proficient in Visual Studio/Visual Studio.Net, Microsoft Sql Sever, Oracle sql Server, Microsoft Access
My email is [email]contactayotunde@yahoo.com[/email]

For those of us who believe in this vision, I think we can start by grouping ourselves into different teams e.g. Web Developer,Web Designer,Software Developer, Analyst, DB Administrator etc, and let other steps follow,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gmail, Youtube, Google Docs And Other Services Go Down Simultaneously / Are All Interns Like This? / How To Convert Numbers To Words In Excel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.