Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. (12819 Views)

Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors / Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola / Lagos Government Willing To Negotiate With Sacked Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 11, 2012
Abeg doctors should relax jooor mtchew what about lab techs,radiographers,hospital admins,especially nurses who spend most of there time with patients morethan the glorified docs,how many times have this other healthcare professionals gone to strike to effect salary increment for Godsake no be only doctors dey work for hospitals,we have so many professionals working for an effective intergrated health care delivery.i think doctors are greeeeeeedy

1 Like

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 3:28pm On May 11, 2012
texazzpete:

yes! Imagine how many people died because Fashola was soooo unreasonable.

Imagine how many people have died because their doctors could not afford to rent a house close to their hospital
Imagine how many brilliant doctors have fled Nigeria because the remunerations they were receiving were substandard, despite the fact that they were severely overworked in Lagos State. (seriously, 1000 doctors to 17 million people?!)

these doctors think they can demand for any kind of pay raise and hold people to ransom. Good riddance tnk god govt have recruited more serious doctors that are ready to work. well done BRF. wink
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by shollyfinboi(m): 3:32pm On May 11, 2012
this is highly unfair...
nawetin them picking go chop...
na where dem go dey live...
ABEG MAKE GOVERNMENT DO SOMETIN TO COMPENSATE THEM.... sad sad sad sad embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by espn(m): 3:37pm On May 11, 2012
every1 is entitled to der opinion..ders no state govt dat pays der docts d amount dey r bin paid in lagos..morova we knw wat d minimum wage is..if dey can b paid @ leaste 200k a mnt..I fink dats kk..let's b pragmatic..wher sum ppl can hardly afford 3 squre meal..dey get paid over 200k..if dey r been paid wat dey r asking for I bet u dey wld ask for mor increment next year..nonsense..lawyers spend 5 yrs in d university nd exra 1 year in law skol....6 to 7..s wats d noise abt spending more yrs in d university
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 11, 2012
My advice for doctors is to accept as their lots.they should for job elsewhere.doctors should insist on standard operating procedures.for example,a doctor cannot see more than 20patients a day,rate of 30minutes per patient.how a doctor be seeing 50 to 100 patients per day.that is absurd.also,there is minimal investigation for to confirm diagnosis or monitor treatment.doctors nationwide should insist on standard,then govt will know they are wrong.also,doctors should not strike again,there must be another way.if there is no standardi,doctors should refer the patients.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by chuks49(m): 3:41pm On May 11, 2012
texazzpete:

You jealous?

All the doctors have asked is a reasonable payment scheme. Is it REALLY absurd to pay a Doctor 200k monthly in Lagos State? A doctor that sees an average of 50 patients daily? A doctor that spends his day immersed in disease, death, HIV patients, TB etc? Someone who spent 6 years in School + 1 year housemanship?

Is it so BAD for a doctor to expect to recieve some tax breaks for his service to humanity?

You folks are quick to insist that doctors owe a service to humanity. What do Nigerians owe them in return? Can you point to any landlord who has voluntarily given someone a discount upon producing his medical license?

Greedy Nigerians always want to TAKE, nothing in you to GIVE. I blame the rise of the new generation churches for this mindset.

Nobody is saying these doctors doesn't deserve a better working condition, but using the life of sick patients as bargaining chip amounts to taking their gross to a dangerous end.
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by chuks49(m): 3:41pm On May 11, 2012
texazzpete:

You jealous?

All the doctors have asked is a reasonable payment scheme. Is it REALLY absurd to pay a Doctor 200k monthly in Lagos State? A doctor that sees an average of 50 patients daily? A doctor that spends his day immersed in disease, death, HIV patients, TB etc? Someone who spent 6 years in School + 1 year housemanship?

Is it so BAD for a doctor to expect to recieve some tax breaks for his service to humanity?

You folks are quick to insist that doctors owe a service to humanity. What do Nigerians owe them in return? Can you point to any landlord who has voluntarily given someone a discount upon producing his medical license?

Greedy Nigerians always want to TAKE, nothing in you to GIVE. I blame the rise of the new generation churches for this mindset.

Nobody is saying these doctors doesn't deserve a better working condition, but using the life of sick patients as bargaining chip amounts to taking their gross to a dangerous end.
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by dmainboss: 3:42pm On May 11, 2012
espn: every1 is entitled to der opinion..ders no state govt dat pays der docts d amount dey r bin paid in lagos..morova we knw wat d minimum wage is..if dey can b paid @ leaste 200k a mnt..I fink dats kk..let's b pragmatic..wher sum ppl can hardly afford 3 squre meal..dey get paid over 200k..if dey r been paid wat dey r asking for I bet u dey wld ask for mor increment next year..nonsense..lawyers spend 5 yrs in d university nd exra 1 year in law skol....6 to 7..s wats d noise abt spending more yrs in d university

If you ever stand in front of a cadaver and you are able to eat well for the next 3 days, you will know what a doctor is. Dum.bo!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by stillme(m): 3:45pm On May 11, 2012
Why is it that everytime Lagos state doctors go on strike? Are they the only one in health sector? I'm backin fash on this one joor.
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 11, 2012
ALL OF YOU GO AND HAND YOURSELF

UP FASHOLA

NO BODY FIT HOLD THE WORKING GOVERNMENT INTO RANSOM
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by dmainboss: 3:46pm On May 11, 2012
Unlock, Unbrick or Upgrade your android phone or Tablet(Samsung Galaxy series, HTC, Motorola Droid, etc ) to froyo, Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich. Garanteed! Call 08054807297 or 08022879193!
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by onyengbu: 3:49pm On May 11, 2012
chuks49:

Whos bargaining with patients life here? Doctors who refused to work until their demands are met or the government that refuse to grant their demand.

But wait ooo. Did they wake up one morning and embark on a strike?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by queensmith: 3:49pm On May 11, 2012
texazzpete:

You jealous?

Service to humanity? You speak as if doctors are not grossly overpaid. Fresh inexperienced doctors out earn other civil service professions 10 years in the trade.
This soo called service they disrupted indefinitely for a few extra naira. Don't be ridiculous.

If the minimum wage in Nigeria is 19 000 naira then yes it is absolutely absurd for doctors to receive 10 times that amount!! What for??

I dont know what else doctors want, they have the prestige, they get the money, they live the life now they are taking blood! Don't be ridiculous, they are as useful as the people willing to pay them.

immersed in disease my a.s.s as if doctors are the only ones that deal with disease. Who isn't dealing with disease. Should I sit and demand more money from my peers because you know how much disease you are dealing with?
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by Aweley: 3:51pm On May 11, 2012
I just believe dialogue would have resolved this issue before degenerating to a crisis.
Imagine how many lives would have been lost these past weeks. It's all well sa.
www.biolaleye..com
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by ballabriggs: 3:51pm On May 11, 2012
playboy19:

You must be a very stupid man for saying that about the government. Who is being reckless here? The affirmative government or the stupid doctors who neglected the first law of their profession, which is to save life first and embarked on some lousy strike. So in your abundant foolishness, you believe it would have been better for the government to wait and engage them in some fruitless negotiations while a large percentage of the patients dies? You must be outta your freaking mind.

Good one Fash, ride on!

Typical response from a slowpoke! Firstly, a state that does not have sufficient Docs sacks the one it has. Is that not foolishness? If a government cannot prioritize health care delivery then that government is useless. It is critical to building human capital which is critical to economic development. What happens if you have a poorly motivated Health workforce? They leave to other places after a while thus increasing the labour turnover rate in the health sector. How does the state get healthy? How then would they be able to heal your rotten soul? No wonder you can't think. The health of the state is in a big mess!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by Ninilowo(m): 3:51pm On May 11, 2012
Na so the thing dey take start be this oo. na so uni Ilorin own start so tay the lecturer come dey die one by one. Make someone come intervene ooo!!!!!
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by alabarashid: 3:57pm On May 11, 2012
fash u too much.... that d best idea if any doctor take u for granted pls deal with Dem...if dey hen one million (1.000.000.00) naira as salary dey we complain......
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 11, 2012
Why must doctors be the problem everytime They are Oliver twists and you need not to turn this argument into a pdp, acn affair.. As far as i'm concern, pdp govs can increase the salaries of their civil servants and yet the state infrastucture will remain poor. Just as gej is busy increasing the salaries of his special advisers, ministers e.t.c and where is Nigeria today since pdp took over the mantle in 1999 No power, No road, no water, poor housing, healthcare is zero.. The same gej wants to bromance fashola. And you are here saying pdp Infrasture is poor in Nigeria due to pdp, unemployment is due to pdp, corruption is due to pdp. Most federal projects have been abandoned due to pdp, most federal roads are death traps due to pdp, boko haram is gaining more weight in Nigeria due to pdp. Is pdp setting any legacy in Nigeria? Yes they are setting a legacy of corruption. Lagos state Government employed the doctors and they have every right to fire when it's Neccesary. Why would you go on strike when theres something called ''dialogue'' at the expense of who? At the expense of patients. Mind you, ACN is not a trowey money government like pdp & its not a government for the rich alone. It's a government for the masses and it's truly democratic Unlike pdp In this case of lagos doctors, fashola will win his case anywhere. Some pdp doctors wanted to turn the state into chaos & he had to move in swiftly by employing acn doctors. Oh yeah! Afterall its politics.
coal_coal:

the truth really hurts, right?

I definitely disagree with Fash on this one

personally, acidtalk. I don't blame you. It is the 1,500naira that your local government pdp chairman has given you to carry placard for gej that has blinded your reasoning. Is Nigeria not bound for doom when we have people that think like you at the helms of affair?

acidtalk:

You are so so CORRECT!!!

No. You are the F00l here.
You ethnicity blind bat. You will be blind to the fact your governor is 100% wrong.

If this had happened in a PDP state, CAN will be shouting and screaming more than even the doctors.
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by wandeay: 4:04pm On May 11, 2012
dont you know how much our illiterate politicians receive everyday? Dont our doctor deserve to be paid at least 320k per month?, 6 years of hard work, 1 year housemanship, good grades, working tirelessly everyday, even @times, attending to emergencies in the late midnight, abeg pay dem correct money.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by owobokiri(m): 4:09pm On May 11, 2012
texazzpete:

You jealous?

I am with you totally on this as my view on a related threjd will show. My younger bro is a doc in another state in 9ja and has taken time to explain the crux of the matter to me. I support the doctors and disagree TOTALLY with the LASG over their STUPID sack. Fashola needs a mental check-up. I just worry about the poor patients who suffer when 2 elephants fight.
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by ektbear: 4:18pm On May 11, 2012
RICHIE BOI:
It was also gathered that the affected doctors had been given until 5a.m. today to vacate the staff quarters.

But the State Tenancy Law states that tenants should be given six months’ eviction notice.

Yeah. Doesn't seem as if you can kick someone out of their house on such short notice.

Poor form on the part of the Lagos State government.

btw, do doctors pay rent? Or was this free housing?

If the latter...so during this time they were striking they were still enjoying the benefit of their job undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by ballabriggs: 4:22pm On May 11, 2012
How did the government let it degenerate to this stage? It is because it is a reckless and insincere government. If anyone says dialogue, did the Docs make known their demands today? What did the government do rather than resort to blackmail and intimidation using the hungry Nigerian media. Even in Germany were the conditions are better, Docs go on strike- http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/aug2006/doct-a03.shtml -not to talk of this mad health care delivery system. Let the politicians hands off these institutions and stop choking them. Let the Hospitals be able to seek finance directly from donor agency and see if they would not be able to pay their workers enough. But would the Politicians agree? Once the money comes, Commissioner for Health and Governor would become Accounts Clerk.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by frankgreat(m): 4:23pm On May 11, 2012
guy no mind dat muntula....is it everytin u strike on? they risked d life of lagosians nw u sayin its unfair....dey shld send them to dere villages
RICHIE BOI:

God forbid if a loved one close to you had died during this their strike. you wont be talking like this. imagine how many people died because no doctor to attend to any of them.i applaud fashola for this move and immediately recruiting more doctors. you dont toy with human lives. angry
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by queensmith: 4:23pm On May 11, 2012
ekt_bear:

Yeah. Doesn't seem as if you can kick someone out of their house on such short notice.

Poor form on the part of the Lagos State government.

btw, do doctors pay rent? Or was this free housing?

If the latter...so during this time they were striking they were still enjoying the benefit of their job undecided

It will be conditional on being employed by the state. If it's not free it must be subsidized. If they are no longer working they cannot live in the houses. Normal tenancy rules will not apply. i'm guessing sha- that only makes sense. The houses technically doesnt belong to them, it belongs to the state.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by drlaykay(m): 4:24pm On May 11, 2012
RICHIE BOI:

God forbid if a loved one close to you had died during this their strike. you wont be talking like this. imagine how many people died because no doctor to attend to any of them.i applaud fashola for this move and immediately recruiting more doctors. you dont toy with human lives. angry
What we do not understand is dat dis newly recruited doctors would someday rise to fight for their rights as well.why not put an end to this mess once nd for all.being sentenced to six years in medical skul wit hard labour.paid enormously cos medical skuls are quite expensive including extra trainin yrs(housmanship, service,even residency).
My bro,no be easy tin o

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by allycat: 4:29pm On May 11, 2012
I have time to sit and peruse nairaland and reply to threads because I have been sacked. Otherwise I would just be closing from clinic and then going to the wards to check on patients before closing for the day. If I was on call only God knows what time I would have gotten home today. So am I sad and crying right now. Not at all, I have been on my bed all day resting , with my feet raised on a pillow, my Bp that was going up has come down since last week, I am heavily pregnant and have been doing two people's job for the last 7 months. Even my bosses advised me to take leave of absence and go and rest but I didn't because there would have been nobody to replace me, so I decided to work until my body says no. But now I have been sacked my conscience is clear I don't owe any patient in my FORMER office anything more than I owe a patient in the clinic down the road. And what they could take away was a salary, they didn't take any off the certificates I have worked for neither did they take the equipment I saved to buy with my own money and have been using on their patients. It's not easy for anybody adjusting to being sacked but we won't be the first and we definitely won't be the last. life goes on.
If by any miracle we are called back today I will quietly take leave without pay and sit in my house. All these threads have shown me is that Nigerian populace isn't worth killing oneself over. See how happy people are over doctors misfortune.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by frankgreat(m): 4:30pm On May 11, 2012
Where dey blind when they signed the agreement in d initial stage? y dnt dey turn it down wen dey tld dem dis is wat we ll pay u.....y nw? y risking the life of the patient.....is that the oath we tuk b4 bcomin a doc? dats bad...dey were selfish nd dey deserve all wat dey r gettin frm d govt.
texazzpete:

You jealous?

Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 11, 2012
queensmith: is the NMA a union of some sort? Or a professional body? Can they authorize strikes? Is there no Labour Union for this? I'm a bit confused.

Yep NMA is a union (Nigerian Medical Association)...Any doctor that takes such appointment after sack of a fellow doctor shud be ashamed of himself. If I was a doctor I wouldn't take such an appointment even if I was in need of a job.
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by queensmith: 4:33pm On May 11, 2012
@allycat Seriously, how do these people get away with acting as if they aren't being paid? How does every doctor get away with that?
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 11, 2012
frankgreat: Where dey blind when they signed the agreement in d initial stage? y dnt dey turn it down wen dey tld dem dis is wat we ll pay u.....y nw? y risking the life of the patient.....is that the oath we tuk b4 bcomin a doc? dats bad...dey were selfish nd dey deserve all wat dey r gettin frm d govt.

The govt is and remains wrong...Signing an agreement it refuses to implement.
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by slaxzy(m): 4:35pm On May 11, 2012
Am not saying I like what the lagos state govt did but in a way would put the doctors where they should be. While on earth would doctors go on strike? Have they considered the consequence of their actions ? Innocent people would die! This nation sucks I tell you. Must you go on strike to prove a point?
Re: Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 11, 2012
mjconcept: Very good, how i wish the Fed will do the same to ASUU. grin

U're very naïve...I remember in the past when we were asked if we could become lecturers after school..Most of us said neva...But now some of us don't mind seeing the renumeration of lecturers..That is what ASUU fought for.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

One Million COVID Vaccines Wasted In Nigeria In November - Reuters / Interns At Rivers State University Teaching Hospital Protest Over Unpaid Salary / Aboniki Balm Secret Benefits - Blasts Belly Fat & Boosts Hair Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.