Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine (4830 Views)

Done / Help!my Neighbor's Son Is In Luv Wt Me. / Should He Call Off The 4yrs Old Relationship Because Of This Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by TeeBaba2: 5:54pm On Nov 14, 2007
I have found out that my 4 year old son is not my child- I have confronted the Mum with It- and she said she all along thought it was my child though knew that was the chance it might not be- as she has a fling with an ex- but the similarity between my son and me laid her mind to rest. which I must confess is great- as the boy does look like me. Although we have not been totally together since my son have been born; I have been a great dad to my son and he has been everything to me. These discovery has brought my world crashing- I confirmed this through DNA ; I have taken my son to nigeria few years back to meet my family- How do i explain this to my family and friends. How do explain this or relate with the child; that has always seen and known me to be his dad. Should I stay away from the child and cease all responsibility financially and morally.

Note: Am not with the Mum
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by ssRhino: 5:59pm On Nov 14, 2007
If you have been all u said you have been to the child, that is so great and wonderful, i can only imagine the shock and the disappointment, however, a sudden changes to the child could have a lasting effect on him, just because you are not the biological father dont mean you cant be the father, you have been the male figure in his life all along, and probably the only man he knows, so if you could look pass the fact that, he is not your bilogical son, and love him regardless and do as you used to, that will be great and trust me, you will be saving a life, also, the mother is to be blamed and making sure the lil' man dont feel the effect will be a great thing to do, pls dont get me wrong, i do agree that it wont be easy, so pls pray about it and God will grant you grace to deal with the shock.
Wish you da best
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by iice(f): 6:03pm On Nov 14, 2007
Do you love the boy Regardless of his 'blood', if you love him, he is your son. He has known no other father than you for four years. Not the case here - but people adopt children, some don't 'officially' but the bond, ties and love that bind them make them fathers and sons and no blood will change that.
As to your family, you can choose to tell them or not, now or later - depending on your relationship with them. If you are willing to change your relationship with your son (and i will keep saying that, till you 'choose' to relinquish all ties to him), the reactions/actions/decisions/advices of your family will have bearing or not on your relationship with your son.
As to your son, you can put off telling him till when he is older (in a few years or so).
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by sammy6(m): 6:14pm On Nov 14, 2007
If youve once loved him as your son,then that love should never die.He is still your son.Please hate the mum but not the poor boy.biko ehn
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by Busta(f): 6:23pm On Nov 14, 2007
Men, thats a tough situation u're in!

hope u make the right decisions.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by Nautillus(m): 6:32pm On Nov 14, 2007
Men, This is a tough one.

Dont know what to say but will watch closely to see where this leads,

Cheers mate,
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by yimiton(f): 6:36pm On Nov 14, 2007
I agree with iice and Rhino

Please adopt the child legally now or the biological father might come from the blues one day and lay claims to him.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by Ricoman(m): 8:25pm On Nov 14, 2007
I think you are in a really difficult situation here my brother, I think you should go on being the good dad that you have always being.
You should let the boy know the truth when her is old enough to understand . wishing you all the best as you battles this out
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by almondjoy(f): 8:44pm On Nov 14, 2007
Sorry oh! Anyway--take heart for I am sure-someone else is raisng your biological child somewhere in this world. Exchange is no robbery! kiss

All the best oh?

1 Like

Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by drrionelli(m): 9:02pm On Nov 14, 2007
I must also agree with iice and $$Rhino.  OK, so you didn't contribute chromosomes to the little guy--so what?  As you've come to find out, there is really a huge difference between making a baby (which most any 12-years-old boy can do) and being a father (which entails quite a bit more).  

I don't know the legality issues where you are, but is your name on the birth certificate?  Clearly, you have "bonded" with the child.  Do you want the child to be a part of your life and, perhaps more importantly, do you want to be a part of his?  Remember, of course, that you will always have to deal with the child's mother.  Speaking of the mother, I must respectfully disagree with $ammy who suggests that you hate her.  Hatred will only compromise everybody's relationships with one another, as they will always be tied to one another.  

Weigh it out, Tee Baba.   Of primary importance, here, is the best interest of the child.  

Now, allow me to also ask:  Does the guy whose sperm actually created the boy  (I hesitate to use the term "man" with regard to a guy who risks getting women pregnant and is careless about his responsibilities) know about this situation?  What does he have to say?  What is the mother's view?

Please keep us posted.  We care.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by NaJaHaJe(f): 9:29pm On Nov 14, 2007
A FOOL CAN MAKE A BABY ONLY A MAN CAN FATHER A CHILD

@poster

I sympathise with your situation. But from the way you have relayed your opinion it's quite clear that this child means everything to you and a lot more if i might add. Personally I wont let go of the child. This has nothing to do with the mum. He started out his life with you. He calls you daddy! Blood is thicker than water but soul ties are thicker than blood.

There's no need to hate mum rather convert that negative energy into building him into into what you want him to be.

Am not too sure about the adoption thing because regardless his biological father is still his biological father. They usually have more priority in court. that's a route i wont go down, not unless you and his mum are sure that his father is willing to sign off his child to you. (am assuming he has not been appraised of the situation) 

BY THE WAY   whose name is on the birth certificate?  Is his mum ok with you still being in his life?

if you decide to carry on, be prepared for when the biological father steps in (thats if he's that kind of character)

All in all i wish you all the best and my heart goes out to you.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by Ricoman(m): 11:30pm On Nov 14, 2007
Ricoman:

I think you are in a really difficult situation here my brother, I think you should go on being the good dad that you have always being.
You should let the boy know the truth when her is old enough to understand . wishing you all the best as you battle this out
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by rosquare(m): 10:40am On Nov 15, 2007
@ poster
the earlier you accept the fact, the better for you.
especially since the boy's mum aint with you no more.
you are free to show him love, care and whatever,
but a time is coming when either the mum or the biological
father will come for their son and then your heart will
be broken all over again.

MY ADVICE
let the boy go and stay with his mum. that doesnt stop you
from being a good father to him.DO NOT REDUCE OR STOP
YOUR FINANCIAL AND MORAL RESPONSIBILITIES TO HIM.

Tee baba, dont fuss about what your family and friends
will say or do.that should be the least of your worries.
its your life and your cross.
MAY GOD GRANT YOU DIVINE WISDOM. AMEN!
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by rosquare(m): 10:43am On Nov 15, 2007
@ poster

MY ADVICE
let the boy go and stay with his mum. that doesnt stop you
from being a good father to him.DO NOT REDUCE OR STOP
YOUR FINANCIAL AND MORAL RESPONSIBILITIES TO HIM.

Tee baba, dont fuss about what your family and friends
will say or do.that should be the least of your worries.
its your life and your cross.
MAY GOD GRANT YOU DIVINE WISDOM. AMEN!
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by conda00410(m): 11:00am On Nov 15, 2007

word!!!!!
feel u brother
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by wakagirl: 12:44pm On Nov 15, 2007
Are these advisers here really African? Why can't people advise straight even if it will hurt? my bros that boy is not your child either you like t or not, thank God he is only 4 years and you are aware now that he is that young. His brain now is still flexible if that boy does not see you for some time and sees somebody else and his mum tells him that's his dad he will agree and start calling that person his dad and with time he will forget you.

Please take heart and leave them alone, except he is starving you have no bussiness with them, and how long do you want to pretend to your family? let them know the truth now it will no more be news after 3 months of telling them. U dont need to allow a woman who could not sy who owns a child affect your future or how do you intend explaining 'your' child outside to your spouse? Leave them and move on time will heal the would.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by mellow(m): 1:00pm On Nov 15, 2007
drrionelli:

I must also agree with iice and $$Rhino. OK, so you didn't contribute chromosomes to the little guy--so what? As you've come to find out, there is really a huge difference between making a baby (which most any 12-years-old boy can do) and being a father (which entails quite a bit more).

I don't know the legality issues where you are, but is your name on the birth certificate? Clearly, you have "bonded" with the child. Do you want the child to be a part of your life and, perhaps more importantly, do you want to be a part of his? Remember, of course, that you will always have to deal with the child's mother. Speaking of the mother, I must respectfully disagree with $ammy who suggests that you hate her. Hatred will only compromise everybody's relationships with one another, as they will always be tied to one another.

Weigh it out, Tee Baba. Of primary importance, here, is the best interest of the child.

Now, allow me to also ask: Does the guy whose sperm actually created the boy (I hesitate to use the term "man" with regard to a guy who risks getting women pregnant and is careless about his responsibilities) know about this situation? What does he have to say? What is the mother's view?

Please keep us posted. We care.

i think I totally agree with you.[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by TeeBaba2: 3:02pm On Nov 15, 2007
Thank you guys for your advise;
To say that i love the child is an understatement- My whole persona; and Outlook on life changed from the news of his impending arrival- before finding out that the mum was pregnant with was thinking of quiting university- had to change my mind; him being around had made me work harder to achieve or make something out myself that my son would be proud.
@ NaJa HaJe- It is my name on the birth certificate; The biological father is not aware; as the mum and him are not in contact but am not kidding myself that he will not know.

The advise am getting mirrors the position am in as if i continue as usual someday the biological father will come and take him away and my definately not going to protest or litigate against that but if i let him go now am not sure what damaged it will do to him as i don't want to see him in future and think he could have done better with having me as a father figure.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by drrionelli(m): 6:27pm On Nov 15, 2007
@Tee Baba:
Sir, I don't intend to pry, but where has your son's (for, clearly, you've been more of a father to him than any other he has ever known) biological father been for the past four years?
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by terryboob(m): 7:18pm On Nov 15, 2007
teba, i sympatz with u ,,,,,,,,,,if i were in ur shoe, dat thought of not his biological father could be in my blood forever cos is guna be like a pain ,,,
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by presido1: 8:33pm On Nov 15, 2007
wakagirl:

Are these advisers here really African? Why can't people advise straight even if it will hurt? my bros that boy is not your child either you like t or not, thank God he is only 4 years and you are aware now that he is that young. His brain now is still flexible if that boy does not see you for some time and sees somebody else and his mum tells him that's his dad he will agree and start calling that person his dad and with time he will forget you.

Please take heart and leave them alone, except he is starving you have no bussiness with them, and how long do you want to pretend to your family? let them know the truth now it will no more be news after 3 months of telling them. You don't need to allow a woman who could not sy who owns a child affect your future or how do you intend explaining 'your' child outside to your spouse? Leave them and move on time will heal the would.
You have said it all, how can you pretend somebody is your son when you know clearly he is not. Unless you do not intend to marry again in your lyf otherwise take a wise decision and let the boy be with his mum while you still show your fatherly love to him. You can as well adopt him officially if you do not want to miss him. But how come the boy looks like you when you are not his father?
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by drrionelli(m): 9:37pm On Nov 15, 2007
It is with all due respect that I question those who feel that those of us who are not African might not provide input that is not consistent with beneficial advice.  Perhaps some things might be clarified with respect to that.

Insofar as this boy's being your "real" son, I feel that NaJa HaJe has said it very well: 
A FOOL CAN MAKE A BABY ONLY A MAN CAN FATHER A CHILD

It takes a selfless person to assume the responsibility for any child, and that selflessness is multiplied for one who would accept responsibility for another's child. OK, so the boy is not genetically Tee Baba's. Regardless, the child will still need guidance as it grows up. Literally millions of children adopted children are being brought up not only by only one biological parent, but, in many cases, by neither biological parent!

I reiterate the question: Where has the biological father been all this time? Did he not know? Perhaps the mother didn't know, initially. Well, since she does know, now, is it not imperative for her to let the biological father know that he has a son?

Personally, I think it's worthy of respect that Tee Baba wishes to rear the child as his own. I do, however, have one question, with respect to the relationship between Tee Baba and the child's mother: Why did you feel it was necessary to have a DNA test done to determine fatherhood?
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by bookruman(m): 12:06am On Nov 16, 2007
God bless you my friend. Your continuous acceptance of your son is great thing to do.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by Ndipe(m): 12:36am On Nov 16, 2007
If you still love the boy, please adopt him. Dont blame him for the sins of his mother. It will be extremely traumatic for him, if you suddenly abandon him.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by Breed(m): 10:43am On Nov 16, 2007
Guys, lets not jump the gun here. The reason the boy is with Tee Baba is because the biological father has no idea he has a son.

If he knew, would he not take care of him the same way? I think it is only fair that he is informed and the issues discussed out in the open.

If he relinquishes his rights, then we can start talking of adoption. Any which way, it's a tough call.

May God grant you the serenity to accept the things you cannot change,
The strength to change the things you can, and
The wisdom to know the difference.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by olanajim(m): 12:24pm On Nov 16, 2007
I do not see any problem here at all. Too many advisers would confuse you the more.

Take a look at the boy, do you love him? Do you want him? At this level, he would be devastated to know you are not his father. But this may not manifest now. Consider him as an adopted kid, would you take him to a father who may never know he had a son? Would you send him to the street to suffer? Would you rather let him grow up with you and maintain the cordial relationship you had?

Let the secret remain between you and the mother if you want to keep the child. Don't tell even the child about this. But if you have made up your mind to throw him out, do it with human dignity and utmost fear of God. Remember, the child would one day become a man. Think about the unknown future before you act.

If I were in your shoe, I would keep the child.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by creamdream: 12:54pm On Nov 16, 2007
, its a pity,
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by Alsutan: 1:21pm On Nov 16, 2007
Olanajim, good talk.
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by Alsutan: 1:24pm On Nov 16, 2007
Keep the child .
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by akeye(f): 3:36pm On Nov 16, 2007
just continue being a nice father
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by TmeD0(m): 4:51pm On Nov 16, 2007
Breed:

Guys, lets not jump the gun here. The reason the boy is with Tee Baba is because the biological father has no idea he has a son.

If he knew, would he not take care of him the same way?
I think it is only fair that he is informed and the issues discussed out in the open.

If he relinquishes his rights, then we can start talking of adoption. Any which way, it's a tough call.

May God grant you the serenity to accept the things you cannot change,
The strength to change the things you can, and
The wisdom to know the difference.
I couldn't agree with you more! All the advise are pretty good but everyone seem to be missing a valid point Breed mentioned. So far, it appears the biological father is not even aware that he has a son, which I blame the mother for keeping it from him after this revelation. The question now is why hasn't she told the biological father yet? He has every right to know and whatever he decides to do is up to him. Before we start bashing the guy, let's give him a chance now; he's not aware he has a child with this lady.

And as for Tee Baa, I can't imagine how agonizing this is for you. Continue loving the child like he's yours but I'd suggest you insist the mother inform the biological father as soon as possible. Depending on his response, you would be able to decide what you need to do from there on. If he's willing to accept responsibilities for the child, you're gonna have to let go at the point but if the reverse is the case, then it's good news for you. Personally, I'll have him sign some legal documentation waiving his parental rights if he chose not to accept the child. Then file for an adoption immediately. Best of luck to you!
Re: My 4yrs Old Son Is Not Mine by TeeBaba2: 6:38pm On Nov 21, 2007
Having read and reread the advises given above: i see that there are two advices prevalent here, one is for me to be there for the kid and not withdraw my support; the other is to findout the position of the biological father concerning he´s son.

On the first Issue - I have decided not to withdraw my support for the boy; though am looking to take up work in another country i will be flying in to see him forthnightly or atleast once a month and be in communication with him- would i be considring taking up this job if this issue has not arised truthfully i dont think so; and in a way am preparing myself for the worst.

On the second issue I have asked the mum to contact the dad but she said she does not know where he is? but i have insisted she finds out ASAP. So hopefully she would take it seroius and find him. I Also made it clear that I would like to be part of his life, hence my continual support to him but will not be party to deny another person of their right and the child of the right to know his real dad.

I also plan to confide in the Eldest person in my family and I believe she can keep a secret pending how it all plays out. Any suggestion in regards to the decision i have made are well; and thanks guys for your inputs

(1) (2) (Reply)

“strictly For Wives” By Praise Fowowe – A Must Have! / What A Wierd Question From Guys / Excited Woman Video Herself Praising Her Husband After Having Sex With Him.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.