Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau (3160 Views)

Buhari: Why I Sent Obasanjo To Guinea-Bissau / Buhari Picks Obasanjo As 'Envoy' To Guinea-Bissau / Why We Couldn’t Deploy Troops Against B’Haram -US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by EFCC1(m): 7:24pm On May 14, 2012
ABUJA Nigeria, west Africa’s regional powerhouse, will deploy troops to Guinea-Bissau this week, Defence Minister Bello Haliru Mohammed said on Monday at a meeting of ECOWAS defence chiefs.

-A Cross Section of ECOWAS Chief of Defence Staff during their meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan today Monday at the State House in Abuja

“I will like to announce to you that the pledges made by Nigeria for the Guinea-Bissau and Mali mission, we are committed to them and our troops are ready. In Guinea-Bissau, we will deploy before the 18th of this month,” he said.

He told newsmen that the Nigerian troops would complement the one battalion of military peace-keepers which the ECOWAS is sending to the West African country.

Mohammed made the declaration after a meeting held between President Goodluck Jonathan and ECOWAS Chiefs of Defence Staff.

“As you know our sub-region is plagued with challenges of insecurity and also instability in some of the countries.

“The CDS (Chiefs of Defence Staff) are here to discuss how the intervention of ECOWAS will help to bring security and to stabilise the country where instability is rearing its head, this is on the instruction of the Head of States of the ECOWAS.

“On Guinea Bissau, a decision is already made that a military contingent from the ECOWAS will be sent to assist the government in maintaining law and order.

“Nigeria, as a leading member of ECOWAS, will participate when invited.

“The ECOWAS is sending one battalion but the contribution of Nigeria depends on when we are invited.

The minister said that ECOWAS was yet to take decision on whether it would send troops to another troubled member state, Mali.

He said that the meeting with the president was on the challenges of insecurity and instability in the two ECOWAS member states.

Speaking in the same vein, the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshall Oluseyi Petinrrin, said the military was prepared for the assignment anytime an invitation was received.

“The decision to send troops will be made by government. Our job is to be prepared so that when they decide to deploy we will be ready.

“And, it is possible they have decided, but have not announced it,’’ he said.

Petinrin said that with the intervention of ECOWAS, a lot of progress had been made in resolving the political crises in the two countries.

“Right now, we have constitutional order; the two countries are no longer been headed by military people because they were told in certain terms that it will not be accepted and they have stepped down in both countries.’’

Following respective coup d’états in Mali and Guinea Bissau, ECOWAS and other international organisations took steps to restore democratic order in both countries.

ECOWAS imposed sanctions on the respective junta to ensure compliance to its protocols on zero tolerance for military rule.

At the extra-ordinary meeting of ECOWAS in Dakar on May 3, President Jonathan recommended stiffer sanction for the military junta for their failure to accede to the demands of the sub-regional bloc.

Jonathan urged ECOWAS to take stringent decisions in accordance with its avowed commitment to the cause of democracy and constitutionality.(AFP & NAN)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/nigeria-to-deploy-troops-to-g-bissau/
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by virgo(f): 9:17am On May 15, 2012
Nigeria and misplaced priorities. We need to put our house in order first before running around to fix the problems of other countries. We are taking this big brother thing too seriously.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 9:45am On May 15, 2012
virgo: Nigeria and misplaced priorities. We need to put our house in order first before running around to fix the problems of other countries. We are taking this big brother thing too seriously.
My dear, Nigeria is bound by ECOWAS treaty which she is a member state. Stop making statements like that. Without stopping a war in Mali and Guinea Bissau, where do you think those Russian AK47, MPMG, SMG and IEs will end up ?

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by muritalayinusa: 9:48am On May 15, 2012
virgo: Nigeria and misplaced priorities. We need to put our house in order first before running around to fix the problems of other countries. We are taking this big brother thing too seriously.
That s true,issues like bokoharam is on ground nothing is done
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by asudan: 9:50am On May 15, 2012
Why is that other Ecowas countries don't come to our aid in time of need.they r always benefiting but we gain nothing why?
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by virgo(f): 10:06am On May 15, 2012
LeoMax: My dear, Nigeria is bound by ECOWAS treaty which she is a member state. Stop making statements like that. Without stopping a war in Mali and Guinea Bissau, where do you think those Russian AK47, MPMG, SMG and IEs will end up ?
LeoMax: My dear, Nigeria is bound by ECOWAS treaty which she is a member state. Stop making statements like that. Without stopping a war in Mali and Guinea Bissau, where do you think those Russian AK47, MPMG, SMG and IEs will end up ?

My darling, there is something called opinion. Ever heard of it? Ecowas treaty or not, I do not think we have the capacity to keep interfering with the politics or affairs of other African nations. We need to re-evaluate our foreign policy. Nigerians first before anything else. Playing West African police does very little for millions of Nigerians living in fear of terrorist attacks. The AK47s, MPMGs, SMGs and IEs have somehow managed to find their way past our porous borders even before Guinea Bissau and Mali. Besides, we have sacrificed enough. From Sierra Leone to Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liberia and everywhere on the continent, we have flexed our diplomatic and military muscle. We simply do not have it anymore. Big brother is being beaten senseless in his own home, time to drag his tired bottom back home to fix things. And oh, by the way, I am a patriot. wink
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by solomon111(m): 10:45am On May 15, 2012
virgo:

My darling, there is something called opinion. Ever heard of it? Ecowas treaty or not, I do not think we have the capacity to keep interfering with the politics or affairs of other African nations. We need to re-evaluate our foreign policy. Nigerians first before anything else. Playing West African police does very little for millions of Nigerians living in fear of terrorist attacks. The AK47s, MPMGs, SMGs and IEs have somehow managed to find their way past our porous borders even before Guinea Bissau and Mali. Besides, we have sacrificed enough. From Sierra Leone to Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liberia and everywhere on the continent, we have flexed our diplomatic and military muscle. We simply do not have it anymore. Big brother is being beaten senseless in his own home, time to drag his tired bottom back home to fix things. And oh, by the way, I am a patriot. wink
Interesting!
I think we need more women in this section,if not for anything, for a breath of fresh air.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by godello: 11:37am On May 15, 2012
God punish our leaders for doing eye services.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by EMOKAI98(m): 11:45am On May 15, 2012
godello: God punish our leaders for doing eye services.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by hakanai(m): 11:52am On May 15, 2012
I take God beg FGN not to sacrifice our security for another country's.We are in a crisis and need even help from ECOWAS and AU to tackle our security challenge and you want to make the world feel it's all well.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by hakanai(m): 11:58am On May 15, 2012

^^^ chairman the listed items are already in Nigeria.Also they are in the wrong hands.We need to stay home and clean our society of the users and the items illegally causing peoples life.What treaty may i ask? Na for our head treaty start or end?Abeg forget that thing!Even Ghana systematically avoided re-enforce her presence in Ivory-coast.So why we dey worry.Simple tell ECOWAS,una no dey watch aljazeera?We need to tackle our security challenges too.Only after that can we send support to you.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by DaRapture: 3:05pm On May 15, 2012
This is stupid. Nigeria needs to deploy troops to resolve the problem they have bubbling right in their own nation, and the nation they need to deploy them to is Niger and and Chad, which are the nations where many of these BH members are coming from and are being trained. But the Nigerian government is too Gutless to deploy into a bordering nation. cheesy
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by hakanai(m): 3:29pm On May 15, 2012
^^^^ i always pray that the government has not ignore strategy and mobilized a enough offensive military units and arsenal to invade chad and Niger.Positioned in the NE of this country.Not to invade chad or Niger but to serve as deterrent on so many fronts eg. Before rogue groups like the taureg people of Niger will act part 2 of Mali in this country o!Lastly it must be clear that if you hit.you won't last a day.Because this one boko-haram as they take hijack Kano for almost a day,repeat same for Yobe,Borno,Bauchi etc. It is possible they are testing the waters.The day they decide to launch an offensive on multiple fronts.Occupying several states,with there suicidal tendencies it may be a awhile to dislodge them.Talk of causalities.So i say keep a strong response armed force.Add rapid to that. Thats why all new peace keeping quest should be set aside until that is resolved.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 15, 2012
Dr been
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 15, 2012
Dr been
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 15, 2012
Dr been
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Onyenna(m): 8:38pm On May 15, 2012
solomon111: Interesting!
I think we need more women in this section,if not for anything, for a breath of fresh air.

Seconded!!.....
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 15, 2012
They should all be sent to other countries to fight real wars.they are only good at bulying civilians. They dont even allow civilians to take refuge in the baracks anymore whenver the north is under bokoharam attack.they are cowards,inhuman ones at that.they should go there and die.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 15, 2012
Dr been
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 15, 2012
patriot2: You better mind what you are saying, you i.diot ! If you said that to my face I would beat the hell out of you, bloody sun of a b.itch.
you are worse than an eediot.you are a drill monkey with the brain of a pre-historic ape.I wont bother about your parents here;maybe you never had any or you were abandoned at birth by a prostituute.faaggot.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 10:06pm On May 15, 2012
Dr been
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 15, 2012
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 15, 2012
[quDr been
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by pcicero(m): 11:01pm On May 15, 2012
@ Patriot 2 and Chima12
Please, both of you should just stop it!
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 11:22pm On May 15, 2012
@ pcicero,
Iv deleted my last post.I shouldnt be placing curses on anyone,it is wrong and I retract that post.The guy is really annoying,iv checked his post history and observed that he is the type of person that throws insults at peoples parents,instead of facing me,he prefares to insult my parents and even mention friends,I wonder what they have to do with my post.that aside,I retract my last post.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by pcicero(m): 12:49am On May 16, 2012
^^
Thanks bro!
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Musiwa49: 1:03am On May 16, 2012
I think Ecowas should deplore troope to Nigeria.. I think this should be the first priority
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Yewe2011(m): 6:27am On May 16, 2012
haka_nai:

^^^ chairman the listed items are already in Nigeria.Also they are in the wrong hands.We need to stay home and clean our society of the users and the items illegally causing peoples life.What treaty may i ask? Na for our head treaty start or end?Abeg forget that thing!Even Ghana systematically avoided re-enforce her presence in Ivory-coast.So why we dey worry.Simple tell ECOWAS,una no dey watch aljazeera?We need to tackle our security challenges too.Only after that can we send support to you.

The reason for that was obvious. At the time the Ivory Coast was divided geographically and ethnically and a member of Ouattara's rebel movement from the Northern part of the country was accusing us of protecting Gbagbo's loyalists. Our President John Atta Mills wisely made the decision not to intervene and to instead wait until the political negotiations were exhausted. Atta Mills also told ECOWAS that Ghana's military was "overstreched" or something along those lines lol. Smart move (decision not to intervene) on his part IMO because we share a border with them and the last thing we want to be seen as is an invading army (imagine how Ghanaian troops on Ivorian soil will be interpreted by either side in the conflict). I know fence sitting is morally wrong but we need to look out for the safety and security of our own country first and foremost (as everyone should). Sometimes getting involved in a conflict with two warring sides makes it worse. Luckily, French troops along with some of Ouattara's men eventually captured Gbagbo and his wife thereby ending the war.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Yewe2011(m): 6:30am On May 16, 2012
DaRapture: This is stupid. Nigeria needs to deploy troops to resolve the problem they have bubbling right in their own nation, and the nation they need to deploy them to is Niger and and Chad, which are the nations where many of these BH members are coming from and are being trained. But the Nigerian government is too Gutless to deploy into a bordering nation. cheesy

Compared to Nigeria, Chad and Niger are weak militarily. They are poor desert countries that on a state level don't pose a risk to Nigeria...so deployment of Nigerian troops to those countries are not necessary in the near future. Nigeria's main issue with those countries is BORDER CONTROL. I suspect that in Northern Nigeria, a region that borders countries like Chad and Niger...the borders are porous so you guys need to tighten that up.
Re: ECOWAS To Deploy Troops To Guinea Bissau by Yewe2011(m): 7:02am On May 16, 2012
haka_nai: ^^^^ i always pray that the government has not ignore strategy and mobilized a enough offensive military units and arsenal to invade chad and Niger.Positioned in the NE of this country.Not to invade chad or Niger but to serve as deterrent on so many fronts eg. Before rogue groups like the taureg people of Niger will act part 2 of Mali in this country o!Lastly it must be clear that if you hit.you won't last a day.Because this one boko-haram as they take hijack Kano for almost a day,repeat same for Yobe,Borno,Bauchi etc. It is possible they are testing the waters.The day they decide to launch an offensive on multiple fronts.Occupying several states,with there suicidal tendencies it may be a awhile to dislodge them.Talk of causalities.So i say keep a strong response armed force.Add rapid to that. Thats why all new peace keeping quest should be set aside until that is resolved.

I agree. The Tuareg have been successful in Northern Mali, but I don't think they are satisfied with just that desert part of the country. I believe they also consider parts of Niger as part of their "homeland". The Nigerian military should keep an eye out on the situation with them.... because the Sahel region is like Africa's wild wild west right now.

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO:The Real History Of Nigeria. / . / jailed Ibori did more project than Tinubu? say NO to Ayodele Gbeliyi- Musiwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.