Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,288 members, 7,839,429 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

Work Experience Or Further Study. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Work Experience Or Further Study. (12929 Views)

How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate / Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria / Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 19, 2012
Gogobiri Lalas: From experience, if you don't get a job with your first degree, chances of getting one with a second degree is almost zero, the best you can hope for is a teaching position, i think its time we realized what a waste of time advanced education has become especially in a country like Naija, all you need in today's world is know how to read, write and do simple arithmetic and of course how to do google search shikena

There are certain occupations and positions in present day Nigeria that require advanced degrees. Lecturing, for instance, in most universities here require that you either possess a Ph.D or are in the process of acquiring one. Some Top managerial positions also require advanced degrees in addition to work experience.

1 Like

Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by yommy2sure(m): 6:31pm On May 19, 2012
livapul86: @Yommysure
I totally agree with your submissions. But unfortunately, Nigeria provides its own frustrations. Most young graduates, would readily have opted for a work experience if it were readily available. When the job hunt fails to bear fruits, the frustration that sets in pushes most guys back into the universities.
yeah...i understand you and i seriously think the whole system is being abused, just like it sound or is called, masters is something you do not to get a job but to master a job or profession or go higher in an organisation, it is not something to do and still be clueless about where to start a career...I believe in the right medicine for the right ailment...if your problem is job with your first degree and u tink an advanced degree will solve it, hmmmn...the answer is already on this thread. If you find yourself doing masters then attach yourself to some experience gathering job even if it doesnt pay much...i hear so much about entry level graduate or fresh graduate but fresh abi entry level masters holder sounds funny...my opinion shhha
Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by Fabulous1: 7:12pm On May 19, 2012
wen we go sch for job to get money, after sch no job, still connection even after wastin time for master and phd still connection who wan get job even ssce for naija go get oil job with connection nonsence country
Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by nitrogen(m): 11:13pm On May 19, 2012
Fabulous1: wen we go sch for job to get money, after sch no job, still connection even after wastin time for master and phd still connection who wan get job even ssce for naija go get oil job with connection nonsence country
Haha bros u dey vex o,
but,seriously it is not only in Nigeria that you need connection, almost everywhere just that that of nigeria is 'three' much obvious.

1 Like

Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by Fabulous1: 4:15am On May 20, 2012
i follow my path i no send job again oooo
Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by AjanleKoko: 5:35am On May 20, 2012
This conundrum is made a lot more complicated by the fact that the average Nigerian youth doesn't know what he or she wants. That's aggravated by the fact that most of our parents are preoccupied with struggling to survive and keep the family alive, and therefore have no time or energy to guide their children. Or invest in them even.

Kids are sent to school more as an expediency rather than with a goal or mission. The same continues all through their educational years, until the kids manage to get out of a tertiary institution. From then on, they join the army of state victims.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by nitrogen(m): 6:51am On May 20, 2012
AjanleKoko: This conundrum is made a lot more complicated by the fact that the average Nigerian youth doesn't know what he or she wants. That's aggravated by the fact that most of our parents are preoccupied with struggling to survive and keep the family alive, and therefore have no time or energy to guide their children. Or invest in them even.

Kids are sent to school more as an expediency rather than with a goal or mission. The same continues all through their educational years, until the kids manage to get out of a tertiary institution. From then on, they join the army of state victims.

Exactly sir, victims of circumstances and traditions.
I just pray the present generation parents against all odds, wake up and see the need to try and guide their children to the right career path.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by kpolli(m): 9:17am On May 21, 2012
nitrogen: Different perspectives to these two has may be been part of constituents to many fresh grad's problems (especially nigerian graduates).

A situation whereby when one is through with his/her first degree, the next necessary thing is to go get a job in order to increase one's experience in his or her field. After getting the necessary experience,then you can further your studies.

The other is depicted this way: 'Now, i have a degree(first), since the resources are available, am going for further studies, i dont need related experience to break into the job market because when am through with my studies( maybe to a MBA level), i will break in easily'.

These two stated above has been generating a lot of debates, where different opinions are put forward by different individuals. Please, elaborate on these because it has been a concern to many 'soon to be graduates' and graduates.

Big lie. . . Experience is way better
Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 22, 2012
kpolli:

Big lie. . . Experience is way better

That is how you tell the difference between someone who has seen life and someone who is still entertaining youthful fantasies.
I'm also guessing he will think that because of his Masters, he will burst out of school with INSTANT manager level job grin

The transition after school to the real world is often the most brutal, most humbling experience in one's life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by Mustay(m): 8:41am On May 23, 2012
@Ajanlekoko mentioned some vital points here. There just has to be a balance otherwise it'd get to a time where your certificates are too 'experienced' for the job you wanna apply for. Imagine?

So, like someone mentioned, in Education for example Msc etc are certainly needed. This goes to show you that you need to understand the career path you're taking and know the 'requirements' that are useful in that line. Unfortunately, Nigeria is not an 'equal job opportunity provider' if you understand the context I used that in but if you can get a job, you can also advance in your studies. Some people choose to select jobs that are 'less stressful' to enable them have this time. Personally, am a student of knowledge so I don't think you ever have to stop improving yourself, you actually have to manage yourself.

If you're gonna climb up the ladder, you'd at least know how the bottom of the ladder is/was otherwise if you think your MBA would automatically know make you know how 'your subordinates' operate when you're up there, then the org culture go get -ish.
Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by geepawps(m): 10:06pm On May 23, 2012
If you can have the two, it will be great.
It will also depend on the a age of the individual and marital status.
For fresh graduate, work experience should go first then subsequently you can study more.
Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by nitrogen(m): 7:04am On May 25, 2012
geepawps: If you can have the two, it will be great.
It will also depend on the a age of the individual and marital status.
For fresh graduate, work experience should go first then subsequently you can study more.
The best.
Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by zubbizareta: 4:33pm On Aug 13, 2012
Different strokes for different folks. Based on my own opinion, I'm going to highlight the following issues:
- For as many who, after 1st degree go for Masters degrades the effectiveness of the first degree. I feel that after 1st degree, get experience somewhat in that field, make Ur 4, 5 or 6 worth the while. Then again, what happens when one, after 1st degree, doesn't see a good job to fit his qualifications.
- The system, most especially the federal school where a large number of people study don't have adequate infrastructure to bring out a well informed, oriented graduate ( unless such a person is dedicated to be the best one can be). Half baked graduates are purged into the world and MNCs aint totally ready to recruits these sets unless one can show one's worth to be considered.
- Lastly, why did you study what you studied in the university. Most likely the response will not be satisfying. Many person go to the university cos their friends have left them behind and so they take anything to be 'among'. A school boast of various fields of study, the system we are in can't say the same.
Please, plan your steps wisely, school cert holders, undergraduates and graduates.
Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by Allwell(m): 10:41pm On Aug 13, 2012
It's not as if folks dont know that work experience have great benefits. Rather it's a case of too many certificates chasing few available jobs. Recent graduates are facing a huge dilemma here. Stay at home, continue with the job search and have an unexplainable career gap(in the event of not getting a job too soon), or go for a masters programme and become an over qualified entry level graduate.

1 Like

Re: Work Experience Or Further Study. by Allwell(m): 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2012
It's not as if folks dont know that work experience have great benefits. Rather it's a case of too many certificates chasing few available jobs. Recent graduates are facing a huge dilemma here. Stay at home, continue with the job search and have an unexplainable career gap(in the event of not getting a job too soon), or go for a masters programme and become an over qualified entry level graduate.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unrest In Nigeria Immigration Service Over Promotion / CIPM NIGERIA: Application Requirements And Procedure / What Do You Love About Your Current Job/Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.