Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,157 members, 7,825,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? (4784 Views)

Aba: A City In Ruins / Onitsha Is Becoming A City Of Trade,Commerce & Industries? / Will Eko Atlantic City Be The Most Beautiful City In Africa After Completion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:44pm On May 15, 2012
Judging from opinions from this thread https://www.nairaland.com/937703/where-would-u-rather-reside, it's obvious majority of Nigerians prefer to live in serene cities like Enugu, calabar, Jos, Owerre etc but you notice that most of them live in Commercial cities from Lagos, Onitsha, Aba, Port-hacourt and so on. And these commercial cities cannot be described as liveable as they are usually rough and unkempt.

That brings me to my question. How come All commercial cities in Nigeria are usually dirty, un-serene, chaotic(understandable) and unkempt?

Can't we have the atmosphere of Lagos(commerce) and Calabar(serenity) in a city in Nigeria? because i know that in the US for example, cities like Miami, Seattle and Los Angeles have their good and bad spots. Isn't this possible in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by OAM4J: 5:13pm On May 15, 2012
Possible, but difficult to achieve in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 5:16pm On May 15, 2012
With the way we build houses, markets and shopping centers in our commercial cities, it will be very hard to achieve.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 15, 2012
What are you gonna do with the response ? What do you intend to achieve ?
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 5:28pm On May 15, 2012
LeoMax: What are you gonna do with the response ? What do you intend to achieve ?
What are you doing on Nairaland. What do you intend to achieve?

2 Likes

Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Akintola11(m): 5:28pm On May 15, 2012
This Week in Nigeria focuses on why two US banks froze Nigerian embassy accounts, political musing's & article reviews from two brilliant writers. Stay current,stay informed!

http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/blog/week-nigeria-us-banks-freeze-nigerian-embassy-accounts
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Cargoed: 6:02pm On May 15, 2012
The main reason is due to failure of LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCILS many now don't know their responsibilities why because you and me forget to elect our chairmen we leave that for the touts so guess what they give back the touts what they want. which is .....

Local Governments are suppose to generate revenue from fines. Please show me a single Local Government that has generated N1000 from fines.

Fines include: Motor Park lawlessness,
Wrong parking,
Speeding fines,
banning/controlling commercial cyclists this is actually 70% the cause of rowdy metropolis.
Using the wrong horns on vehicles/motorcycles and trucks.
Sound systems from shops being above a certain decibel db,
Storekeepers exceeding their shop boundaries and taken over footpaths and junctions.
illicit sale of alcohol.
Footpaths constructed for pedestrians and fine pedestrians not using foot-ways
Barriers constructed at busy pedestrian junctions
Functional Street Lights
Parking bays for bus drivers, fine those outside it, dropping or picking passengers in wrong places
Establishing more one-way systems and fine defaulters
Waste management from the grass root up. So you can fine anybody that dumps in the wrong place.

Go and check most countries threat these things as emergencies and major issues. So we must learn Cut all support to L.G.A from federal level these are where they should generate their income from.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by faithin9ja: 6:17pm On May 15, 2012
Cargoed: The main reason is due to failure of LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCILS many now don't know their responsibilities why because you and me forget to elect our chairmen we leave that for the touts so guess what they give back the touts what they want. which is .....

Local Governments are suppose to generate revenue from fines. Please show me a single Local Government that has generated N1000 from fines.

Fines include: Motor Park lawlessness,
Wrong parking,
Speeding fines,
banning/controlling commercial cyclists this is actually 70% the cause of rowdy metropolis.
Using the wrong horns on vehicles/motorcycles and trucks.
Sound systems from shops being above a certain decibel db,
Storekeepers exceeding their shop boundaries and taken over footpaths and junctions.
illicit sale of alcohol.
Footpaths constructed for pedestrians and fine pedestrians not using foot-ways
Barriers constructed at busy pedestrian junctions
Functional Street Lights
Parking bays for bus drivers, fine those outside it, dropping or picking passengers in wrong places
Establishing more one-way systems and fine defaulters
Waste management from the grass root up. So you can fine anybody that dumps in the wrong place.

Go and check most countries threat these things as emergencies and major issues. So we must learn Cut all support to L.G.A from federal level these are where they should generate their income from.

Ignorance they say is bliss.LG's Nigeria make money from all sorts of legal, illegal and semi legal fines. They plant touts (give them ID cards) to stop any flashy car to ask for the 'sticker' because flashy cars are usually company cars and company must LG stickers. If a commercial vehicle or company travels from Lagos to PH you need a minimum of 19 different tickets which your renew every year.

Every market in Nigeria from the smallest village to the biggest towns, the market women pay a daily rate to LG, all motor parks pay a daily rate to the LG's.

and there many other examples of how LG's extort and collect taxes and fines all over Nigeria

Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 15, 2012
Very possible. Make me the President and I will show you how its done cool.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 7:02pm On May 15, 2012
Olodostein: Very possible. Make me the President and I will show you how its done cool.
Can your tongue touch your head?

1 Like

Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 15, 2012
afam4eva:
Can your tongue touch your head?

What has that got to do with executing such grand plan if you make me the Presido?

Can President Obama or Jonathan tongue touch his ass?

Ceteris paribus; Nothing is impossible cool cool.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by zurine(f): 7:09pm On May 15, 2012
well in the past, cyber cafe used to be the in thing and the only money making venture through which hard wo9rking intelligent young Nigerians could rack their mind and estort some unclean sum from their foreign counterpoint whom they consider as the mugus and the the maga. well that may seem like a fairy tale but it is just as true as believing you need oxygen to be alive! virtually every cyber cafe has a clic or group of these yahoo maga who would spend as much as 16 hours daily perfecting their plan on how to trick the magas into paying huge sums. but, come to think of it, are there no better ways by which an average Nigerian could make clean money by taking advantage of the internet? these and some other questions were what i had in mind when i decided to explore the internet and its possibilities> but thank God, i stumbled over a website, www.edirectsms.com and so an advert where the owner said he could build a bulk sms reseller package website for a very psaltery sum of 10,000 naira. this is only about 4months ago, and today, i run a bulk sms website and have several clients that pay me a very fair sum for the service i render to them. although i may not be a yahoo yahoo millionaire, yet i am contented with the measure of business growth which i have. friends, there are very many legal ways to make clean money here in Nigeria with peace of mind. i enjoin you to consult him. it may be one of those lucky breaks you have been waiting for
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 7:14pm On May 15, 2012
Olodostein:

What has that got to do with executing such grand plan if you make me the Presido?

Can President Obama or Jonathan tongue touch his ass?

Ceteris paribus; Nothing is impossible cool cool.
The point i'm trying to make is that as a president, your portfolio does not define that you maintain cities. That's the Job of the governors and local government chairman.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 15, 2012
zurine: well in the past, cyber cafe used to be the in thing and the only money making venture through which hard wo9rking intelligent young Nigerians could rack their mind and estort some unclean sum from their foreign counterpoint whom they consider as the mugus and the the maga. well that may seem like a fairy tale but it is just as true as believing you need oxygen to be alive! virtually every cyber cafe has a clic or group of these yahoo maga who would spend as much as 16 hours daily perfecting their plan on how to trick the magas into paying huge sums. but, come to think of it, are there no better ways by which an average Nigerian could make clean money by taking advantage of the internet? these and some other questions were what i had in mind when i decided to explore the internet and its possibilities> but thank God, i stumbled over a website, www.edirectsms.com and so an advert where the owner said he could build a bulk sms reseller package website for a very psaltery sum of 10,000 naira. this is only about 4months ago, and today, i run a bulk sms website and have several clients that pay me a very fair sum for the service i render to them. although i may not be a yahoo yahoo millionaire, yet i am contented with the measure of business growth which i have. friends, there are very many legal ways to make clean money here in Nigeria with peace of mind. i enjoin you to consult him. it may be one of those lucky breaks you have been waiting for

My guy, your format too bam. Nice one.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 15, 2012
afam4eva:
The point i'm trying to make is that as a president, your portfolio does not define that you maintain cities. That's the Job of the governors and local government chairman.

Tell that to President Theodore Roosevelt .

If I had mentioned "Governor", I suppose you would say that it is the job of the commissioner of environment and so on.

This is why Africa produces clueless Presidents, governors and local government chairmen.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 8:14pm On May 15, 2012
Its all to do with town planning, most nigerian cities are not planned and those that are,
the plans are not strictly adhered to, residential areas mixed with commercial and religious and sports areas nowadays
almost everyone has a shop in front of their house selling one thing or the other, some even sell the same thing- mainly alcohol
attracting noise and high humnan traffic and you know what comes with that in cities where waste management is poor

Back in the days VI used to be mostly residential now its a fully blown commercial area with headquarters etc atleast its was built 'properly' in the Nigerian context, but sometimes when you think of the ports, airports, etc planned for that axis of the state you wonder what it will be like in the future for residents,

Some estates for example due to their design/plan still prevents lawlessness, speeding, noise pollution compared to other areas

if there are more regulations (enforced) protecting residential district from ebing swamped and overtaken by commercial, mixed social areas we can have better cities

and of course better waste/traffic management!!!

2 Likes

Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 8:55pm On May 15, 2012
No it is not possible. reason being that commericial centres are usually of not all the time Over populated.

No matter the amount of town planning one put it, a commercial centre would always be a commercial centre.

Population is an important factor in serenity of any town or state.

If there is a low population, then you get a serene environment (also planning comes to play)

If there is an over population, YOU CANNOT GET A SERENE ENVIRONMENT.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by slimchimex(m): 9:25pm On May 15, 2012
pls stop puttin blames on d government alone....each an every one of us have a big part to play to make all the cities in naija clean,peaceful and very condusive for all.

1 Like

Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 15, 2012
alj harem: No it is not possible. reason being that commericial centres are usually of not all the time Over populated.

No matter the amount of town planning one put it, a commercial centre would always be a commercial centre.

Population is an important factor in serenity of any town or state.

If there is a low population, then you get a serene environment (also planning comes to play)

If there is an over population, YOU CANNOT GET A SERENE ENVIRONMENT.

It is very possible Alhaji. Good urban planning and a civilized populace will do the magic.

Having been privileged to spend sometime in places like German state of North Rhine-Westphalia, Cairo and Moscow(very populous states like Lagos). It can be blended.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by odumchi: 9:39pm On May 15, 2012
It's possible. We just need sound city planning, reliable law enforcement, and civil workers to handle things like trash disposal, public health and etc.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Princek12(m): 10:35pm On May 15, 2012
it is possible but you would have to hire foreign-trained urban planners and architects. Nigerian-trained architects and urban planners are nor well-taught and therefore lack the training to plan a flat land filled with grass let alone plan a city that is urban and at the same time serene. And foreign-trained Nigerian grads who can do the job don't want to come back home because many of them are working for foreign companies and planning western cities.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by slumcat(m): 11:58pm On May 15, 2012
Olodostein:

Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by slumcat(m): 11:59pm On May 15, 2012
Olodostein:

Lol
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:24am On May 16, 2012
Why do nigerians blame government for everything? Even if their baby just shit on his pampers, it is government! Lemme tell u something, for a state to be clean, it is everybody's work! In these countries u mention, the people don't abandon the dustbin and throw used papers any where. Now u r blaming government, if they want to take action and start sanctioning those that have contravened the town planning laid down law by destroying the structures....I'm sure you will be the first to accuse government of not being sensitive to the suffering of the masses.
Town planning always warn people when they want to build wrongly, but people don't listen.....saying things like they inherited it, it is a family land etc...so they can build what they want.... What should they do nw..
Nigerians are just foolish ingrates that accuse the government for their errors without playing their own roles. they will never see positve sides...only complaints

TO MAKE A GOOD NATION, IT IS MOSTLY THE WORK OF THE CITIZENS.....THE GOVERNMENT ONLY COMPLEMENT WHAT THÉ MASSES LAID DOWN. If everyone was playing his/her role as a civillian, he will definitely do the same when he/she enters government..

[size=16pt]THE GOVERNMENT IS JUST A REFLECTION OF THE CITIZENS OF THE COUNTRY[/size]
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 12:45am On May 16, 2012
Olodostein:

It is very possible Alhaji. Good urban planning and a civilized populace will do the magic.

Having been privileged to spend sometime in places like German state of North Rhine-Westphalia, Cairo and Moscow(very populous states like Lagos). It can be blended.

Good planning for were grin grin

Nwannem, no matter how good the plan is. A plan is only as good as the envisage population used during the plan. As we all know, places like Hong kong etc were planned by even the colonial masters and the chinese themselves. Today Hong kong is still very much "none-serene".

My brother, no matter the amount of planning A commercial centre can never be serene.

Cairo is a none-serene place. Here is cairo

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3v232rEQZnnB5RpEXwarBiqiGtOvV8AzLaLyj6pSc9zEdDFw2[/img]

Also Moscow (Russia) has a very low population density (Population in ratio to land mass) and still looks non-serene

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-KW28kq0IzbfLkNxogbhYV6Z7mpr3o8GmXXz4JeTQAr6kZ2gG7g[/img]

Here is a serene environment calabar

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN7X5EaHNlN9DPWB88WKKzAkbBZzdtLcQCtUIuzur9PC9coxco[/img]

here is another one

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrrYGR3Jx-MVImsttu_Y_Un2qlGOh9lInXFgPCuZhZzvP-HiY2IQ[/img]
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:51am On May 16, 2012
slumcat:
boyz are not smilin...we no fit chop grass.

Yesoo bro, Hustling continues. Just like this young fella;

A boy found a bag of money and called one FM radio station saying; Boy: "Hello, I found a lost bag wit $100,000.00, an I.D and a mastercard belonging to one Mr. Ifeanyi Arato, plot 4 Park View Estate, Ikoyi. Presenter: u r such an honest boy! So, I believe u wnt 2 return d bag? Boy: No oooo I dey craze? for what? I jst wnt 2 dedicate a song 2 him... play me, MY HELPER OO.. MY HELPER..
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by hariade001: 12:54am On May 16, 2012
UP CHELSEA...
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:14am On May 16, 2012
alj harem:

Good planning for were grin grin

Nwannem, no matter how good the plan is. A plan is only as good as the envisage population used during the plan. As we all know, places like Hong kong etc were planned by even the colonial masters and the chinese themselves. Today Hong kong is still very much "none-serene".

My brother, no matter the amount of planning A commercial centre can never be serene.

Cairo is a none-serene place. Here is cairo

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3v232rEQZnnB5RpEXwarBiqiGtOvV8AzLaLyj6pSc9zEdDFw2[/img]

Also Moscow (Russia) has a very low population density (Population in ratio to land mass) and still looks non-serene

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-KW28kq0IzbfLkNxogbhYV6Z7mpr3o8GmXXz4JeTQAr6kZ2gG7g[/img]

Here is a serene environment calabar

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN7X5EaHNlN9DPWB88WKKzAkbBZzdtLcQCtUIuzur9PC9coxco[/img]

here is another one

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrrYGR3Jx-MVImsttu_Y_Un2qlGOh9lInXFgPCuZhZzvP-HiY2IQ[/img]

I tell you it is possible. Despite the fact that theses cities I mentioned are highly industrialized and commercial( their respective economies can even rival that of the whole Nigeria). Yet, you can still find a lot of serene places to rest your head/mind. They have parks and sidewalks and also plentiful quite residential neighborhoods away from the business districts; just like the Abuja plan.

You cannot measure a whole state based on OLD couple of pics you downloaded from the internet. The Moscow underground metro alone serves more than 5million people daily. Residential neighborhoods are serene and fit for play and that goes for most parts of these cities - mind you they are still initiating modern plans - unlike what is obtainable in Lagos and other major Nigerian commercial cities. Even cools cities in America are beginning to think of revitalizing their cities for the future. All we need is good planning and the POLITICAL WILL.
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by vizion: 8:35am On May 16, 2012
A particular city cannot be commercial and Serene at the same time, its just like being hot and cold at the same time, no city in the world is commercial and serene at the same time.

definition of Serene: Calm, peaceful, and untroubled; tranquil, quiet, and composed:

Definition of Commercial, mercantile refer to the activities of business, industry, and trade. Commercial is the broader term, covering all the activities and relationships of industry and trade.

To those how have actually travelled out of Nigeria, and are aware of the reality on ground (not the TV fairtale), how many of the high streets are serene??
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by OkijaPriest: 9:04am On May 16, 2012
The first and basic problem with Nigeria as a whole (not just commercial cities) is and I repeat... NON FUNCTIONAL URBAN & REGIONAL PLANNING..

Most people chose Jos and Enugu for the following reasons;

1. Quiet

2. Secure

3. Serene

4. Clean.

Now these factors are lacking across virtually all the cities.. ONLY IN NIGERIA would you see companies, super markets, churches and businesses inside a G.R.A (Government RESIDENTIAL Area).. DOnt let us go into noise pollution from Churches and Mosques.. I remember our former house, one day we woke up to see that a church had been built on the ajacent plot. The noise was so unbearable that after we had a chat with the Pastor (who accused us of fighting God and trying to stop the work of God), we got the police to take down all the loud speakers in the church.. We never heard a pip from them again.
The problem is cyclic in nature. Nigerians are just stubborn and love to break laws. Inside of a residential estate, were the approved fence height was stipulated in the terms of agreement, where the color of the buildings had been fixed and the use of the property was clearly spelt out residential... Today, some people who bought these properties have erected high fences, some use their buildings for schools and offices (thus bringing so much traffic into the estate and the colours of the buildings differ from one house to the next.. I almost cried when I saw this.

LOOK at Port-Harcourt for example, The ONLY serene neighbourhood you have is 'NZIMIRO' in Amadi-Flats, Old GRA... The rest of the city is fhucked.. People have destroyed the entire place. its an uneven mixture of companies, supermarkets, churches, kiosks, bars, recharge card stands, hotels and all.. Infact, just buy a piece of land, pay the necessary dues and you can do whatever you like with it...

The regulatory bodies simply sit in their offices and collect monies for different levies and dues, and let people deface prime properties with stores and shops.. INFACT, their are areas in port-harcourt where peoples fence walls are shops..
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by slumcat(m): 9:05am On May 16, 2012
Olodostein:

Yesoo bro, Hustling continues. Just like this young fella;

A boy found a bag of money and called one FM radio station saying; Boy: "Hello, I found a lost bag wit $100,000.00, an I.D and a mastercard belonging to one Mr. Ifeanyi Arato, plot 4 Park View Estate, Ikoyi. Presenter: u r such an honest boy! So, I believe u wnt 2 return d bag? Boy: No oooo I dey craze? for what? I jst wnt 2 dedicate a song 2 him... play me, MY HELPER OO.. MY HELPER..
4 real? haha!!
Re: Can A City Be Commercial And Serene In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 5:08pm On May 17, 2012
Another thing that makes big cities not to beserene is the fact that too many people are always concentrated in a very small space. We should learn how to expand our cities to it's limit so that we won't choke up everywhere with people.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ijaw Leader Joseph Evah Speaks On Benjamin Adekunle / Simon Ekpa Post Video As Unknown Gunmen Pursue And Killed 2 Police Men In Aba / Kidnappers Free Soludo's Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.