Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,661 members, 7,823,876 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Christians Make Terrible Husbands - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Make Terrible Husbands (1514 Views)

The Other Side Of God. (christians Make Your Contributions So That We Can Learn) / How Nigerian Christians Make Their Pastors To Sin. / Is Satan Really As Bad As Christians Make Him Out To Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Make Terrible Husbands by jayriginal: 5:02pm On May 15, 2012
By Femi Aribisala

I was a loving husband until I became a “born again” Christian. Then I discovered certain things written by Paul in the bible appointing me the head of my wife. I eagerly accepted the appointment. Jesus reveals that the worst kind of evil is the one which is presumed to have a religious sanction. I might be a murderer but in my heart-of-hearts I know it is wrong to kill. However, if the church convinces me that by killing men I am doing the work of God, then I can kill with gusto and without any conscience.
Paul say: “Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.” (Ephesians 5:22-24).

Even though this is addressed to wives and not to husbands, it was music to my ears. I thanked God that he deemed it fit to make me head and not tail. As far as I was concerned, it gave me the divine sanction to lord it over my wife. Those who know my wife will immediately recognise that such presumed lordship would be fiercely contested. It took a few battle-scars and the tutelage of the Holy Spirit for me to recognise this scripture which gave me putative authority over my wife “in everything” is morally and spiritually bankrupt.

Pauline fallacy
In classically Pauline fashion, the scripture is full of inherent contradictions. Christian wives cannot say Jesus is Lord on the one hand (I Corinthians 8:6); and say husband is Lord on the other. Jesus says: “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other.” (Matthew 6:24). It is fundamentally irreverent for Paul to ascribe equal status to the husband “as to the Lord” in the life of the wife.
Paul says: “I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.” (I Corinthians 11:3). This is preposterous. It is not only unscriptural, it is unworkable. In the Old Testament, Deborah was a judge in Israel. (Judges 4:4-7). This made her the head of all the men by divine sanction. Today, let a man go and work in Nigeria’s Ministry of Finance and tell the female Minister; Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, that “the head of woman is man.” He will not last on the job.

Jesus would never make the man the head of the woman. That would displace God; the one and only head Jesus prescribes for everybody. Indeed, Jesus does not give authority to a man over another human-being. He says to his disciples: “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you.” (Matthew 20:25-26). The only authority Jesus gives his disciples is over demons: “I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.” (Luke 10:19).

Matrimonial dictatorship
Paul is in error and he leads many Christian men into error. He has created a situation where, in Christian homes, the abuse of wives by husbands is rampant. The Christian husband asserts his “Paul-given” right to control his wife’s life. He uses Pauline scriptures and chauvinistic church doctrine to enforce his presumptive right to tell her what to do. He demands her unquestioning submission to his whims and caprices. There is often little or no mutuality or loving consideration here. It is either his way or the highway. When the Christian man marries, he does not only marry a wife. He marries a cook, a washer-woman, a sex-slave and a maid, all in one Pauline package for the fee of a dowry. Every morning, he wakes up saying: “Thank you, Jesus!”

But it is all thanks to Paul that many a Christian husband believes his wife’s feelings and opinions are inconsequential. He may discredit them on principle or specifically because “Adam was not deceived, but the woman.” (1 Timothy 2:14). Or, he may give lip-service to respecting her views, but later disparage them as “emotional and not logical.”
Thereby, the Christian wife, who has been ransomed by Christ, is put back into bondage. She is constrained to dissociate from certain friends and family-members because of the need to keep “His Majesty” happy. She avoids some of her favourite activities for the sake of “keeping the peace.” If she objects to her Lord-husband’s hea-vy-handedness, she is castigated as “rebellio-us,” and “spiritually im-mature.” If she questions his opinions and decisions or disagrees with them, his lordship might just beat her up so that “the will of God” may be done in her life.
But it is not the will of God that the wife should play second-fiddle to her husband. It is the will of Paul. It is the will of God that all men and women should submit to God. Marriage is not about doing of the will of the husband. It is about the doing of the will of God. The Christian husband who operates on the premise of my will be done has set up himself for a cantankerous marriage.

Servant husbands
Let me speak directly to my power-drunk husband colleagues who would have me excommunicated for daring to love our female adversaries. No matter the forcefulness of your dictatorship at home, I assure you your wife resents you. She may be kneeling down for you on the outside, but she is standing up to you on the inside. If you would just take the time to study the words of Jesus, you would see that your house is built on sand. Sooner than later, it will fall.
Even if the husband were to be the head of his wife; that would still not be to his advantage. A Christian head is different from a secular head. Jesus says: “Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:27-28 ). This means even Paul’s position ends up making the husband the servant of his wife.
When there was disagreement between Abraham and Sarah over Ishmael, God did not take sides with Abraham as some bogus head of his wife. God declared his own overriding will, which happened to agree with Sarah and not with Abraham. (Genesis 21:9-12). That is the role of God in the Christian home. Every decision is referred and deferred to him.
Because we fail to understand this, Christian men make lousy husbands. If you don’t agree with me, you don’t need to argue. Just prove me wrong in your home.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/christians-make-terrible-husbands/
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Chokolee(m): 5:20pm On May 15, 2012
Go an sleep, making good husband is not a thing of religion..its a thing of the mind, virture character and wat u re made offff.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by SisiKill1: 5:38pm On May 15, 2012
jayriginal: By Femi Aribisala

I was a loving husband until I became a “born again” Christian. Then I discovered certain things written by Paul in the bible appointing me the head of my wife. I eagerly accepted the appointment. Jesus reveals that the worst kind of evil is the one which is presumed to have a religious sanction. I might be a murderer but in my heart-of-hearts I know it is wrong to kill. However, if the church convinces me that by killing men I am doing the work of God, then I can kill with gusto and without any conscience.
Paul say: “Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.” (Ephesians 5:22-24).

Even though this is addressed to wives and not to husbands, it was music to my ears. I thanked God that he deemed it fit to make me head and not tail. As far as I was concerned, it gave me the divine sanction to lord it over my wife. Those who know my wife will immediately recognise that such presumed lordship would be fiercely contested. It took a few battle-scars and the tutelage of the Holy Spirit for me to recognise this scripture which gave me putative authority over my wife “in everything” is morally and spiritually bankrupt.

Pauline fallacy
In classically Pauline fashion, the scripture is full of inherent contradictions. Christian wives cannot say Jesus is Lord on the one hand (I Corinthians 8:6); and say husband is Lord on the other. Jesus says: “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other.” (Matthew 6:24). It is fundamentally irreverent for Paul to ascribe equal status to the husband “as to the Lord” in the life of the wife.
Paul says: “I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.” (I Corinthians 11:3). This is preposterous. It is not only unscriptural, it is unworkable. In the Old Testament, Deborah was a judge in Israel. (Judges 4:4-7). This made her the head of all the men by divine sanction. Today, let a man go and work in Nigeria’s Ministry of Finance and tell the female Minister; Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, that “the head of woman is man.” He will not last on the job.

Jesus would never make the man the head of the woman. That would displace God; the one and only head Jesus prescribes for everybody. Indeed, Jesus does not give authority to a man over another human-being. He says to his disciples: “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you.” (Matthew 20:25-26). The only authority Jesus gives his disciples is over demons: “I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.” (Luke 10:19).

Matrimonial dictatorship
Paul is in error and he leads many Christian men into error. He has created a situation where, in Christian homes, the abuse of wives by husbands is rampant. The Christian husband asserts his “Paul-given” right to control his wife’s life. He uses Pauline scriptures and chauvinistic church doctrine to enforce his presumptive right to tell her what to do. He demands her unquestioning submission to his whims and caprices. There is often little or no mutuality or loving consideration here. It is either his way or the highway. When the Christian man marries, he does not only marry a wife. He marries a cook, a washer-woman, a sex-slave and a maid, all in one Pauline package for the fee of a dowry. Every morning, he wakes up saying: “Thank you, Jesus!”

But it is all thanks to Paul that many a Christian husband believes his wife’s feelings and opinions are inconsequential. He may discredit them on principle or specifically because “Adam was not deceived, but the woman.” (1 Timothy 2:14). Or, he may give lip-service to respecting her views, but later disparage them as “emotional and not logical.”
Thereby, the Christian wife, who has been ransomed by Christ, is put back into bondage. She is constrained to dissociate from certain friends and family-members because of the need to keep “His Majesty” happy. She avoids some of her favourite activities for the sake of “keeping the peace.” If she objects to her Lord-husband’s hea-vy-handedness, she is castigated as “rebellio-us,” and “spiritually im-mature.” If she questions his opinions and decisions or disagrees with them, his lordship might just beat her up so that “the will of God” may be done in her life.
But it is not the will of God that the wife should play second-fiddle to her husband. It is the will of Paul. It is the will of God that all men and women should submit to God. Marriage is not about doing of the will of the husband. It is about the doing of the will of God. The Christian husband who operates on the premise of my will be done has set up himself for a cantankerous marriage.

Servant husbands
Let me speak directly to my power-drunk husband colleagues who would have me excommunicated for daring to love our female adversaries. No matter the forcefulness of your dictatorship at home, I assure you your wife resents you. She may be kneeling down for you on the outside, but she is standing up to you on the inside. If you would just take the time to study the words of Jesus, you would see that your house is built on sand. Sooner than later, it will fall.
Even if the husband were to be the head of his wife; that would still not be to his advantage. A Christian head is different from a secular head. Jesus says: “Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:27-28 ). This means even Paul’s position ends up making the husband the servant of his wife.
When there was disagreement between Abraham and Sarah over Ishmael, God did not take sides with Abraham as some bogus head of his wife. God declared his own overriding will, which happened to agree with Sarah and not with Abraham. (Genesis 21:9-12). That is the role of God in the Christian home. Every decision is referred and deferred to him.
Because we fail to understand this, Christian men make lousy husbands. If you don’t agree with me, you don’t need to argue. Just prove me wrong in your home.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/christians-make-terrible-husbands/

Inneresssssssssssssssssing!!
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by MyJoe: 11:24am On May 16, 2012
This article is nonsense, in my opinion. I think it's because he has no case to make that he resorted to ad hominems, half-truths and outright lies. Where, for instance, did Paul equate the husband with Jesus? Or does Mr Aribisala simply lack basic comprehension skills?

There are several things I don't like very much about Paul's teachings, but I think people blow this verse out of proportions. In human relationships, any type of relationship, there is someone vested with the responsibility of taking the lead and accepting responsibility for actions jointly taken. A captain. A figurehead. A head. In the office. In the school. In the home. Everywhere. I have witnessed kids ask their mother who would be in charge once they realised they were going to be left all by themselves.

It happens that when the leader has a small mind he abuses his power. Otherwise, he leads by serving. In maritime culture, there is an unwritten rule that the captain is last to exit a sinking ship. You need someone to take charge of the rescue effort and that someone must be prepared to stay till the end. This is the concept of "servant-leader", which Mr Aribisala himself mentions and by which he inadvertently demolishes his own thesis.

But if a head is necessary, why the man? I mean, many women are obviously smarter than many men, so why not simply let the smarter person head the family? Well, I think people should try to be sensible enough to do what works for them in their own case. But as far as setting down a principle goes, it is easy to see the practicality of this one as it is. Generally speaking, women are more emotional, either liking it or hating it. Men, on the other hand, tend to weigh pros and cons. And leadership is not about perfection. The leader isn't always the best. A sensible leader realises this and consults with everyone in his team. A sensible husband ensures his wife gets what she wants, except there is a good reason to do otherwise.

And neither does the Bible teach that a man is the head of a woman. A contextual reading of the verse shows that Paul was talking of the relationship within the home, not one between Aribisala and Okonjo-Iweala as Mr Aribisala seems to think in his confusion. So a husband is the head of his wife, but a man is not necessarily the head of a woman. I think the principle of headship within the family is fair, sensible and proper. It is sad that some men abuse their headship but that does not defeat the principle, which is by the way universal, natural and eternal. Paul was merely reiterating it. Reasonable people had no problem with this principle until the emergence of evangelical feminism (apologies to Enigma).

As for his claim that Christian men make terrible husbands, I wouldn't know, since I am hardly a "Christian man", but does he have figures or this is just another case of a writer pushing his own conspiracy theory as a fact?
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by MyJoe: 11:24am On May 16, 2012
Double post.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by ProPastorChris(m): 6:57pm On May 16, 2012
@ op

you were born and raised a very bad husband it only came into limelight when you became "born again". so stop blaming your twisted up-bringing on christianity, its all your fault cos your character and mind has refused to be influenced and renewed by the Word.

if you are looking for something to blame your failure on please look deep inside of you.

*hissing and walking away*
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Ptolomeus(m): 8:22pm On May 16, 2012
Yea, The Christians are not likely to help if we do not pay tithing.
No free help or advice, not a word of encouragement.
Whistle and walking away
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by IamPhantom(f): 4:18pm On May 29, 2012
Despite what you all who are thrashing this article say, there is a lot of merit here. I have said time and again that Paul was probably the worst thing that happened to a modern christian woman,If she chooses to, or isunfortunately tied to a man who decides to adhere to his bible teachings. And who can blame Paul. The bible at it's contradictory best made everyone equal and then time and again treats women as nothing, hell, it was always this and that number of men, not counting women and children. The bible is fraught with evidence of inequality. Paul simply followed the example he was set for millenniums by guess who!!! This is the problem of the Christians. I leave you to your god, the father of all immorality and chauvinism. At least as your bible will tell you. It's not i saying all this. you can read.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Fr0sbel: 4:32pm On May 29, 2012
And atheists make perfect husbands, lol. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by jayriginal: 4:39pm On May 29, 2012
Fr0sbel: And atheists make perfect husbands, lol. grin grin grin grin grin

Frosbel, the writer of the article is a christian.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by logicboy: 4:41pm On May 29, 2012
Fr0sbel: And atheists make perfect husbands, lol. grin grin grin grin grin

Who claimed that?
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:09pm On May 29, 2012
Who said Christians don't make good husbands?

Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by logicboy: 6:23pm On May 29, 2012
OLAADEGBU: Who said Christians don't make good husbands?

Ironic that christians have a high divorce rate!
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 29, 2012
[quote author=jayriginal]By Femi Aribisala

I was a loving husband until I became a “born again” Christian.

Considering that Jesus Christ talked about Love 24/7 , it is quite laughable that he starts the article with this incredible sentence.

Then I discovered certain things written by Paul in the bible appointing me the head of my wife.

Head of the wife does not mean Lord over your wife, it simply means director or leader especially with regards to spiritual issues in the home.

I am a Christian for example, and to be honest my wife is totally independent , I respect her judgement on many things, but there are critical matters and or issues where I have to provide leadership, direct the family on the right path and away from the corrupting influences of today's society.

Paul of all people , was actually after Christ , the apostle that talked more about loving your wives.

New International Version (©1984)
"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her" - Ephesians 5:25

"In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself." - Ephesians 5:28

"Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them." - C[b]olossians 3:19[/b]

I eagerly accepted the appointment. Jesus reveals that the worst kind of evil is the one which is presumed to have a religious sanction. I might be a murderer but in my heart-of-hearts I know it is wrong to kill. However, if the church convinces me that by killing men I am doing the work of God, then I can kill with gusto and without any conscience.

Now this is the crux of the matter , right here , nail point bang on.

The church ? Which church, lol. Who is this church, definitely not the physical building , but the body of Christ.

This guy is a wimp, he will rather take the words of man over the words of Christ.

If he had time to study his bible, he might come across verses such as :

"Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him." - 1 John 3:15

This is what happens when you listen to man and not God, hence the sad state of affairs in the Nigerian Church, where questionable visions and words of men take precedence over the inspired words of the Holy Spirit recorded in the bible.

Thus God says , " My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge "

Wow what a warped way of thinking, surely this was something that proceeded from his selfish heart and not from the Spirit of God.

I know many Christian families where you might sometimes wonder who the head of the house is, seeing that the couples operate on an equal footing.

Then this funny guy omitted the next verse where Paul said :

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her" - Ephesians 5:25

Pauline fallacy

Should I keep on replying to this Okay just this once.

Jesus is Head of the Church but he goes ahead to refer to Christians as Brethren. However he is also LORD , LORD of ALL and therefore has absolute authority over his 'body' which is the church. He leads his church, nurtures it, loves it, cares for it and protects it.

Paul is therefore signifying that the husband as the stronger of the 2 sexes, performs these same functions with the only difference that he is not the LORD over his wife and therefore should not LORD anything over her.

My Pals, when you read the scriptures with a mind that is alienated from God, you will just go round in circles and still not have a full grasp of the matter.

Again Jesus is LORD, Husband is head, he is the leader, director, protector and provider for his family, as simple as ABC.

More of the same warped nonsensical train of thought.

Matrimonial dictatorship
Paul is in error and he leads many Christian men into error. He has created a situation where, in Christian homes, the abuse of wives by husbands is rampant.

Lol, of course the author impersonating as a Christian will make this statement, forgetting that wife abuse is most certainly more rampant in eastern European ( communist ) and middle eastern Countries, not at all with a Christian majority, obviously depending on what you mean by the word Christian.

Everyone seems to be called a Christian nowadays just to provide the heathen with a default baseline for their numerous attacks.

The Christian husband asserts his “Paul-given” right to control his wife’s life. He uses Pauline scriptures and chauvinistic church doctrine to enforce his presumptive right to tell her what to do. He demands her unquestioning submission to his whims and caprices. There is often little or no mutuality or loving consideration here. It is either his way or the highway. When the Christian man marries, he does not only marry a wife. He marries a cook, a washer-woman, a sex-slave and a maid, all in one Pauline package for the fee of a dowry. Every morning, he wakes up saying: “Thank you, Jesus!”

I tell you this was written by a Muslim or Atheist , honestly grin grin

So funny , I might have a little laugh at some point this evening.

My conclusion, this guy was no Christian - Fact !!!!!
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by jayriginal: 7:22pm On May 29, 2012
^^ Ok oh Frosbel, I have heard your unilateral declaration of the author as a non christian.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 29, 2012
jayriginal: ^^ Ok oh Frosbel, I have heard your unilateral declaration of the author as a non christian.

But how can he be though , considering that he has totally left out the fundamentals of the Christian faith which is LOVE.

Let me entertain you with a poem on Love by Apostle Paul.

1 Corinthians 13 : 1 - 13
New International Version (NIV)

"If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by logicboy: 7:37pm On May 29, 2012
frosbel:

But how can he be though , considering that he has totally left out the fundamentals of the Christian faith which is LOVE.

Let me entertain you with a poem on Love by Apostle Paul.

1 Corinthians 13 : 1 - 13

"If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Are you talking about the same Paul that wrote this;

1 Corinthians 14;34
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Ptolomeus(m): 7:38pm On May 29, 2012
The Bible clearly states that Abraham, David, Solomon, and many other prominent biblical characters were adulterers in the eyes of God ... But for "that" God, adultery was not a sin, it did not punish any of them, however, rewarded them.
Catholicism has always denigrated women ... as much as Islam.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by jayriginal: 7:45pm On May 29, 2012
@Frosbel, I believe if you tried to strictly define a christian, you would draw the ire of many a "christian". Who is to say what a true christian is?

Just on the "Obama is not a christian thread", the question was asked and nobody could volunteer a straight answer as to who a christian is.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:54pm On May 29, 2012
jayriginal:

@Frosbel, I believe if you tried to strictly define a christian, you would draw the ire of many a "christian". Who is to say what a true christian is?

Just on the "Obama is not a christian thread", the question was asked and nobody could volunteer a straight answer as to who a christian is.

Interested and observant followers or contributors to the said thread would realise that you are stretching the truth here. Read the thread again and see that answers were proferred to the questions being asked.

https://www.nairaland.com/934799/reasons-why-obama-not-christian/1
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by jayriginal: 9:18am On May 30, 2012
A straight answer is what I said.
You might as well quote the straight answer from that thread and place it here so we can see.
I do not consider videos and cartoons to be straight answers.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:54am On May 30, 2012
jayriginal: A straight answer is what I said.
You might as well quote the straight answer from that thread and place it here so we can see.
I do not consider videos and cartoons to be straight answers.

I hope this article will minister to you as it did to me.

Blind Hearts

"Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart" (Ephesians 4:18 )

It is a tragedy for a person to have blinded eyes, but infinitely worse to have a blinded heart. No one ever wilfully chooses to be sightless, but spiritual blindness is a product of the human will.

After Christ had given sight to the man born blind, the Pharisees still refused to believe, so Jesus said to them: "For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind. . . . If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth" (John 9:39,41).

Like these ancient intellectuals, it often seems that modern intellectuals are incurably blind. They profess to teach science and philosophy of the highest complexity, but their understanding is darkened and their hearts are blinded when it comes to the saving gospel of Jesus Christ. As Paul says: "If our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them" (2 Corinthians 4:3,4).

Even very religious people, people who believe in God as Creator, may blind themselves when confronted with the truth that the Creator must also become their Saviour. "But their minds were blinded: . . . even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their hearts" (2 Corinthians 3:14,15).

Nevertheless, Christ came as "the Light," and when anyone will simply in faith "turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away" (2 Corinthians 3:16), and the gospel will "shine unto them." HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by jayriginal: 12:35pm On May 30, 2012
^^
How does this help ?
You accused me of stretching the truth. Why dont you copy and paste the straight answer that was given in the other thread.

Failing that, you can give one in this thread.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:10pm On May 30, 2012
jayriginal: ^^
How does this help ?
You accused me of stretching the truth. Why dont you copy and paste the straight answer that was given in the other thread.

Failing that, you can give one in this thread.

You still didn't get it?
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by jayriginal: 7:54pm On May 30, 2012
Maybe the article needs to minister more to you if you cant "see" the matter you yourself singled out.

Can you define a christian Ola ? Either pick a definition from the other thread or give us one here.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Ptolomeus(m): 8:19pm On May 30, 2012
jayriginal: Maybe the article needs to minister more to you if you cant "see" the matter you yourself singled out.

Can you define a christian Ola ? Either pick a definition from the other thread or give us one here.
You've nailed it!
Olaadegbu has their own idea of what should be a Christian. But the idea is very different Olaadegbu from that of most pastors, and Christians themselves. I have seen women with long hair and loose in the churches and pastors know and they are forced to wear long skirts and hair short or tied.
I know pastors who steal collecting tithe, and others do not. I know Christians who have sex normally, and others who prefer to masturbate hidden repressed and then repent and pray.
I know Christians who do not drink as Jesus did, and other Christians, who get drunk every day.
I know pastors who forbid the faithful to have sex, and other pastors are known adulterers and have sex with several prostitutes at a time (Jimmy Swaggert)
But Olaadegbu wants to build a personal code that allows you to say that Obama is not Christian.
Olaadegbu part of a terrible error in the pose. In practice this is impossible. Neither the Vatican has done that for centuries.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Ayomivic(m): 11:12pm On May 30, 2012
Uncle you are not a christian,Paul did not teach us to malreat our wifes. In all the religions everybody knows that husband is the head of family and if paul says wife should submit themself to their husband what it means is that they should respect their husband.Husband and wife are one, they are helpers,the are lover,they are freinds.I am very sure the poster is not a christian.Do you know what my wife says when i told her about this? She says you are saying nonsense. Check yourself if you are terrible to your wife ,the fault is yours not Paul teaching.
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Kobojunkie: 4:15am On Jun 01, 2023
Chokolee:
Go an sleep, making good husband is not a thing of religion..its a thing of the mind, virture character and wat u re made offff.
It is thing of the mind indeed meaning that what many term Christian marriage is in fact a qdelusion and nothing more, right? lipsrsealed
Re: Christians Make Terrible Husbands by Kobojunkie: 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2023
SisiKill1:
Inneresssssssssssssssssing!!
grin

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Biblical's God Fascination With Blood And Sex? / . / 7 Places From Which Jesus Bled & Their Significance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.