Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court (6589 Views)

Osun State: Doctors Reply Aregbesola / Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated / Lagos State Doctors Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Mynd44: 6:02am On May 16, 2012
I thought these doctors were promising brimstone and fire, why are the meeting the governor?

I thought these doctors were promising brimstone and fire, why are the meeting the governor?

The hopes of reinstating the 788 sacked doctors in Lagos state were dashed yesterday as a meeting between the Nigeria Medical Association and the state governor, Babatunde Fashola failed to yield any results in favour of the doctors.

According to reports, Governor Fashola rejected the plea by the association that the sacked doctors be recalled back to their positions.

Speaking after a three-hour meeting with the governor, Commissioner for Health and the Head of Service; the President of the Nigerian Medical Association, Dr. Osahon Enabulele noted that the Governor said he wasn’t the one that sacked the doctors, therefore, could not reverse the order.

“Governor Fashola rejected our moves to reverse the sacking of the doctors. Efforts by NMA to make both parties shift grounds were rejected.”

“He said the matter was beyond him. He left midway, saying he had made the state government’s position known to the doctors. The NMA is going to constitute a meeting to explore other options available to us.”

The Chairman of the Medical Guild, Dr. Olumuyiwa Odusote, said the guild had filed a suit against the state government over the dismissal at the Industrial Court, adding that the case would be coming up on Wednesday (today).

He said instead of negotiating with the leadership of the NMA, Fashola referred the sacked doctors to the Health Service Commission.

Odusote said, “The governor said he was not the person that sacked us. He said we should go and meet our employers, the Health Service Commission.”

“The case is in court already and our hearing comes up tomorrow (Wednesday). Let the law adjudge who is wrong or right.”

He said Fashola, however, agreed to reverse the eviction order given to sacked doctors to vacate their official quarters.

Odusote said, “He said the reversal of the eviction order was within his powers and he would look into it but action stays on the sacking.”

www.bellanaija.com/2012/05/16/sacked-doctors-in-lagos-head-to-court-as-governor-babatunde-fashola-rejects-their-plea-for-reinstatement/
www.bellanaija.com/2012/05/16/sacked-doctors-in-lagos-head-to-court-as-governor-babatunde-fashola-rejects-their-plea-for-reinstatement/
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Mynd44: 6:04am On May 16, 2012
The hopes of reinstating the 788 sacked
doctors in Lagos state were dashed
yesterday as a meeting between the Nigeria
Medical Association and the state governor,
Babatunde Fashola failed to yield any
results in favour of the doctors.
According to reports, Governor Fashola
rejected the plea by the association that the
sacked doctors be recalled back to their
positions.
Speaking after a three-hour meeting with
the governor, Commissioner for Health and
the Head of Service; the President of the
Nigerian Medical Association, Dr. Osahon
Enabulele noted that the Governor said he
wasn’t the one that sacked the doctors,
therefore, could not reverse the order.
“Governor Fashola rejected our moves to
reverse the sacking of the doctors. Efforts by
NMA to make both parties shift grounds
were rejected.”
“He said the matter was beyond him. He left
midway, saying he had made the state
government’s position known to the
doctors. The NMA is going to constitute a
meeting to explore other options available
to us.”
The Chairman of the Medical Guild, Dr.
Olumuyiwa Odusote, said the guild had
filed a suit against the state government
over the dismissal at the Industrial Court,
adding that the case would be coming up
on Wednesday (today).
He said instead of negotiating with the
leadership of the NMA, Fashola referred the
sacked doctors to the Health Service
Commission.
Odusote said, “The governor said he was
not the person that sacked us. He said we
should go and meet our employers, the
Health Service Commission.”
“The case is in court already and our
hearing comes up tomorrow (Wednesday).
Let the law adjudge who is wrong or right.”
He said Fashola, however, agreed to reverse
the eviction order given to sacked doctors
to vacate their official quarters.
Odusote said, “He said the reversal of the
eviction order was within his powers and
he would look into it but action stays on the
sacking.”
If Governor Fashola is willing to reverse the
eviction order, why then can’t he do
something about their reinstatement? Why
would he continue to allow the doctors stay
in their official quarters if he cannot mediate
on their reinstatement? Or is the state
government just trying to give the doctors a
tough time? You are hereby sacked but you
can continue to stay in the official
quarters….. I don’t quite understand.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Mcdondayan: 7:36am On May 16, 2012
Y do they now want to negotiate? And what will happen to the newly employed docs? If this same treatment is given to ASUU i think some of these avoidable strikes will not be embarked upon. Some people have 2 fall for others 2 rise. Be wise
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Roon9(m): 10:04am On May 16, 2012
Mcdondayan: Y do they now want to negotiate? And what will happen to the newly employed docs? If this same treatment is given to ASUU i think some of these avoidable strikes will not be embarked upon. Some people have 2 fall for others 2 rise. Be wise
[color=#990000][/color]

True talk ma broda. I jus pray GEJ does same 2 thoes mehn if dey try 2 demand ''d impossible'' again
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by amosy007: 10:04am On May 16, 2012
Those doctors should go and sleep in d toilet... They just like striking anyhow putting peoples life at risk... Even policemen aint collecting half the amount they collect despite d fact dat they(policemen) put their lives on d line for nigerians yet u dnt see dem "strikin" anyhow like these mumu doctors
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Nobody: 10:10am On May 16, 2012
Now they are heading to court.A yoruba adage says ''Eniti a ni ko se to,to ni ohun o le se to to to''.What are they begging for now ? Re-instatement or increment in salary ? The court should only re-instate the doctors so far they can bring back the lives of those lagosians that died and if not,they should tender themselves for prosecution for mass murder. tongue tongue God don pass them mofos. grin

2 Likes

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by afrodoc(m): 10:10am On May 16, 2012
policemen put their lives on d line for Nigerians? since when? lmao
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by yemmight(m): 10:17am On May 16, 2012
Lesson for us here. You can negotiate but don't always result to strike especially those that are saving lives. I pity the Doctors, there leaders put their jobs in double jeopardy.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Nobody: 10:19am On May 16, 2012
Those doctors are fools, last AlJazeera was interviewing then and they said since the government has taken that step, they will have to look for another alternative like travelling out of the country, establishing private medical centre. Not knowing sheet nor dey their yansh..
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Nobody: 10:20am On May 16, 2012
yemmight: Lesson for us here. You can negotiate but don't always result to strike especially those that are saving lives. I pity the Doctors, there leaders put their jobs in double jeopardy.

Direct your sympathy to those innocent souls that died not to murderers.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Nobody: 10:28am On May 16, 2012
In every society sacredness of life is relative.that is why people are being killed due to a lot of reasons,natural disaster,war,road accident,rituals etc.but when doctors strike society see life as absolute.what an hypocritical society!
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by afrodoc(m): 10:28am On May 16, 2012
i guess many people haven't been listening to the doctors.its nt surprising anyway cos d govt has more resources in d media.
THE GOVERNMENT REFUSED TO MEET WITH THE MEMBERS OF THE MEDICAL GUILD FOR MONTHS DESPITE COUNTLESS LETTERS AND COUNTLESS HOURS WASTED AT NUMEROUS RECEPTIONS ALL OVER THE LAGOS STATE ESTABLISHMENT.
ALSO NOTE THAT THIS WAS DUE TO THE GOVERNMENT'S REFUSAL TO HONOR AN AGREEMENT THEY SIGNED LAST YEAR.
AND CONTRARY TO SOME RUMORS,LAGOS STATE DOCTORS ARE NOT THE HIGHEST PAID STATE DOCS IN THE COUNTRY,INFACT FAR FROM IT
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Nobody: 10:42am On May 16, 2012
afrodoc: i guess many people haven't been listening to the doctors.its nt surprising anyway cos d govt has more resources in d media.
THE GOVERNMENT REFUSED TO MEET WITH THE MEMBERS OF THE MEDICAL GUILD FOR MONTHS DESPITE COUNTLESS LETTERS AND COUNTLESS HOURS WASTED AT NUMEROUS RECEPTIONS ALL OVER THE LAGOS STATE ESTABLISHMENT.
ALSO NOTE THAT THIS WAS DUE TO THE GOVERNMENT'S REFUSAL TO HONOR AN AGREEMENT THEY SIGNED LAST YEAR.
AND CONTRARY TO SOME RUMORS,LAGOS STATE DOCTORS ARE NOT THE HIGHEST PAID STATE DOCS IN THE COUNTRY,INFACT FAR FROM IT

Yes we have not been listening and we dont want to but we thankGod that they have been fired and replaced asap.Y'all should stop bitching and find another job to do. grin

1 Like

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by afrodoc(m): 10:50am On May 16, 2012
LOL
so many of them have already got other jobs,in many cases better paying than what they were even fighting for.it has been the case that whenever doctors go on strike and return some very good and experienced hands would have left to be replaced by less experienced ones.............the patients are the ones to feel it anyway.
what u fail to realise is whether they are recalled or not the lagos state health service will suffer from d loss of good hands
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Nobody: 10:56am On May 16, 2012
afrodoc: LOL
so many of them have already got other jobs,in many cases better paying than what they were even fighting for.it has been the case that whenever doctors go on strike and return some very good and experienced hands would have left to be replaced by less experienced ones.............the patients are the ones to feel it anyway.
what u fail to realise is whether they are recalled or not the lagos state health service will suffer from d loss of good hands

If they've gotten another job,why are they begging fashola for re-instatement ? shocked shocked
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by stagger: 10:58am On May 16, 2012
amosy007: Those doctors should go and sleep in d toilet... They just like striking anyhow putting peoples life at risk... Even policemen aint collecting half the amount they collect despite d fact dat they(policemen) put their lives on d line for nigerians yet u dnt see dem strikin anyhow like these mumu doctors

Do you know how much policemen collect in bail amounts and all what not? I have personally witnessed someone bailing his relation with N200,000 in one of the police divisions. I also know a police inspector who is a car dealer, and another one who has several jeeps loaned to companies. You tell me, how did they get the money to do so? And these are guys I have known for years; I know where we all started from.

You cannot compare ASUU members who are asking government to respect agreements that they duly signed in 2001, with these bribe-collecting policemen who only know how to kill innocent citizens and when the true robbers strike, they take off. The only police guys I respect are members of SARS. Outside them, very little to cheer about.

Think and research your facts before you put up posts here.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Nobody: 11:03am On May 16, 2012
stagger:

Do you know how much policemen collect in bail amounts and all what not? I have personally witnessed someone bailing his relation with N200,000 in one of the police divisions. I also know a police inspector who is a car dealer, and another one who has several jeeps loaned to companies. You tell me, how did they get the money to do so? And these are guys I have known for years; I know where we all started from.

You cannot compare ASUU members who are asking government to respect agreements that they duly signed in 2001, with these bribe-collecting policemen who only know how to kill innocent citizens and when the true robbers strike, they take off. The only police guys I respect are members of SARS. Outside them, very little to cheer about.

Foolish man,how much does government pay police ? that is what you should talk about here not illegal money.We all know that most of these doctors also have private hospitals and pharmacies ! Isnt that enough for them using your police comparison for an example ? grin
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by snthesis(m): 11:08am On May 16, 2012
stagger:

nice idea-
abeg the sacked doctors should apply to the nearest police station grin grin
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by daywatcher: 11:11am On May 16, 2012
Greedy people, would they have returned to work by now if they were not sacked. All this because they want to go from level 14 to 14.something. Fashola called their bluff and now they are crying. Nobody is indispensable in this world. Nobody.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by afrodoc(m): 11:12am On May 16, 2012
~Bluetooth:

If they've gotten another job,why are they begging fashola for re-instatement ? shocked shocked

there are several reasons why people choose to work where they work.some people are reluctant to relocate,others like d lagos environment e.t.c and remember i said many of them not all or even most.and anyway the medical guild will always fight for re-instatement na that is their duty.
what such events as this does is it opens people's eyes to opportunities they were overlooking and it forces the hands of others to take bold steps.if u r not in d medical profession u wont understand.there r always opportunities for doctors outside the country and even in other systems within the country,its just dt people r usually reluctant to take that step
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Bisjosh(f): 11:20am On May 16, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Yes we have not been listening and we dont want to but we thankGod that they have been fired and replaced asap.Y'all should stop bitching and find another job to do. grin

grin grin grin grin
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by amosy007: 11:20am On May 16, 2012
afrodoc: policemen put their lives on d line for Nigerians? since when? lmao
no matter how corrupt or coward nigerian policemen are they are still d first people that will come to ur mind when u are under attack... Do u knw how many police and army dieing everyday in d north and robbery in d south?

1 Like

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by afrodoc(m): 11:26am On May 16, 2012
and for those who have been spoon fed lies that doctors don't go on strike anywhere in the world,exercise your brains and do a little research and you will find that to be a fallacy.
they have gone on strike in the U.S,U.K,Germany(repeatedly),Spain(repeatedly),Italy(almost on a yearly basis cheesy) and we are yet to hear of a government that sacked practically all its doctors because of a strike.
I guess since the new doctors were employed you have seen how efficiently the hospitals have been running grin
Lagos is working, Fashola is working abi? wink
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by Nobody: 11:27am On May 16, 2012
THE FEAR OF UNEMPLOYMENT IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM, THANK GOD I DROPPED THE IDEA OF BEING A MEDIC, LAGOS DOCTORS ARE A SHAME TO NOBLE PROFESSIONS

1 Like

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by amosy007: 11:31am On May 16, 2012
stagger:

the issue of bribe or corruption is in all nigerian institution... Bail is free... If d person that give d 200,000naira bail is not corrupt he coulda pay 5000 to a lawyer that will bail him free and later sue any police that demanded for the money for bail...

2. Did i say anytin abt ASUU? We are talking abt striking doctors.. Read post very well b4 u respond

3.. Which one will be more deadly? Police going on strike or doctors going on strike?

1 Like

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by afrodoc(m): 11:32am On May 16, 2012
amosy007:
no matter how corrupt or coward nigerian policemen are they are still d first people that will come to ur mind when u are under attack... Do u knw how many police and army dieing everyday in d north and robbery in d south?

i know that policemen and armed robbers have been competing for who will kill the most Nigerians before the rapture.
i have NEVER gotten any direct help from a policeman rather they have been the root of several problems.and i have been lucky never to see an armed robber shoot at civilians but i have seen policemen shoot at UNARMED & INNOCENT CIVILIANS more than once
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by angelvis: 11:32am On May 16, 2012
@ laalamed! In every society sacredness of life is relative. That is why people are being killed due to a lot of reasons, natural disaster, war, road accident; rituals etc. but when doctors strike society see life as absolute. What an hypocritical society!

From your words above you sound like a doctor, we human always need reality or talk about reality, but when we come in contact with reality we can stand it. Have u ever loss someone so dear to you due to others people insatiable needs and wants?

Have u ever had a pregnant sister who was supposed to give birth in 1st week of June being operated on, in 3rd week of May, or a sick person pushed out hospital premises (e.g. Subsidy period of January 2012). Because the doctors are going on strike and they don’t know when they are resuming back?

[quote]In every society sacredness of life is relative. That is why people are being killed due to a lot of reasons:
ARE SELFISH INTEREST, PRIDE, POSITION AND MONEY ONE OF THE BEST REASON OR CRITERIA TO TAKE ANOTHER PERSON’S LIFE?
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by angelvis: 11:34am On May 16, 2012
@ laalamed! In every society sacredness of life is relative. That is why people are being killed due to a lot of reasons, natural disaster, war, road accident; rituals etc. but when doctors strike society see life as absolute. What an hypocritical society!

From your words above you sound like a doctor, we human always need reality or talk about reality, but when we come in contact with reality we can stand it. Have u ever loss someone so dear to you due to others people insatiable needs and wants?

Have u ever had a pregnant sister who was supposed to give birth in 1st week of June being operated on, in 3rd week of May, or a sick person pushed out hospital premises (e.g. Subsidy period of January 2012). Because the doctors are going on strike and they don’t know when they are resuming back?

In every society sacredness of life is relative. That is why people are being killed due to a lot of reasons:
ARE SELFISH INTEREST, PRIDE, POSITION AND MONEY ONE OF THE BEST REASON OR CRITERIA TO TAKE ANOTHER PERSON’S LIFE?
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by afrodoc(m): 11:42am On May 16, 2012
angelvis:

ur questions should be directed at the state government that REFUSED TO HONOR THE AGREEMENT THEY SIGNED TO PAY THEIR DOCTORS ADEQUATELY!
THEN REFUSED TO EVEN MEET WITH THE GUILD TO NEGOTIATE ANY NEW AGREEMENT.....ALL THESE BEFORE THE STRIKE
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court by afrodoc(m): 11:46am On May 16, 2012
and the increment the doctors are asking for amounts to a grand total of 30million naira per month for all the doctors working with d lagos state govt.i hope u all remember how much was spent on Bola Tinubu's Bday?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Razor Bumps - What Are They And What Causes Them? / #COVID19: People Already Dropping Down On The Floor In Kano (video) / Itchy Eyes (optician In The House)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.