Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic (72327 Views)

Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List / Yoruba Words That Have Several Meanings / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 06, 2013
But arabic coulda been borrowed from yoruba too. Don't you think its possible?? :-/

4 Likes

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:06pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fulaman198: Good post, a lot of these words do make sense too, it's kind of scary how many West African languages have Arab loan words. It is also a bit sad at the same time.
WHY IS IT SAD ?
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by maclatunji: 2:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

The truth of the matter is that both Yoruba and Arabic have roots in old Hebrew, and not the popular misconception that Yoruba borrowed from Arabic.

There are many words in Yoruba which coincide with Arabic but does not exist in Songhai or Hausa language and one have to wonder how the leapt could have been possible without a middle link. This is so because no one is studying or researching Yoruba language as a proto semitic tongue, the researchers are always looking for a middle link to explain the conjunction between Yoruba and Arabic.

For example. . .Ale (night in Yoruba) is equivalent to Al'Layl (night in Arabic) but does not occur in either of Songhai or Hausa. Also, Alantakun (spider in Yoruba) is Al'Ankabut (spider in Arabic) and does not have same form in Songhai or Hausa.. Most words in Yoruba that begin with Al or L will have this conjunction with Arabic and is strictly because they both evolved out of the same tongue source. Arabic has remained in its semitic landscape and region whereas Yoruba has vacated and moved far away and ended in dilution by different influences in the host landscape.

Some point of corrections. . . Kahlifa exist in Yoruba as a separate word from Alfa, so it is not a mixup. Also, Imale exist seaparate from Mola (Mu'allim), there is no confusion in its use or meaning.

Load of hocus pocus. Arabic too borrows from other languages. Hence, drop the inferiority complex. Every culture is not static and adopts/adapts influences from other civilisations.

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
What the heck is borokini ? Is that a yoruba word ?
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by maclatunji: 2:12pm On Mar 06, 2013
booqee: But arabic coulda been borrowed from yoruba too. Don't you think its possible?? :-/

Just like Arabs became Muslims through Yorubas abi?

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by newacca: 2:13pm On Mar 06, 2013
ALUBARIKA Yoruba . Al'Baraqah or Baraqah= Arabic English= Blessing cheesy smiley
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by slmmy: 2:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
dis is intresting

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Olayinkaoj(m): 2:19pm On Mar 06, 2013
Good work there but I disagree with the following items:
5. Atele... A-te-le. If the word is broken down , same as I just did, one will see that it is a combination of Yoruba letters with meaning. Meaning A-We, te-le-follow, meaning we follow

7. Amo ....A-mo (in-addition) Mo means plus in Yoruba

8. Imale is a word from Imo-to-le meaning knowledge-that-is-difficult, there is nothing like Mali here

9. Iwaju, I think is a pure Yoruba word but I cant contest this much

2 Likes

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by firstolalekan(m): 2:19pm On Mar 06, 2013
[size=8pt][size=8pt]NA LIE[/size][/size]
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Orlarmeday(m): 2:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
This is a nice post,keep it up
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by firstolalekan(m): 2:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
i thought wahala is derived from wallahi, = i swear by God in Arabic. .
.m.u.m.u.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by sunboy(m): 2:28pm On Mar 06, 2013
Yoruba - Lae 'means never'
Arabic - Laa

Yoruba- Wa o 'means come'
Arabic - Wa u

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 06, 2013
Rubbish! first of all, if the moderators on Nairaland ban me again, I swear I'm leaving, Is there no freedom of speech? Are the moderators well at all?? Facebook, twitter, gmail, yahoo, etc never ban me na nairaland dey ban me... you people should be careful oooooo...
@OP how sure are you they didn't borrow those words from the Yoruba's??

2 Likes

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by JimmyBoy1: 2:31pm On Mar 06, 2013
No 11. Alubarika, Al-barka etc does not mean'Greeting' it means 'Blessing', that is why you hear "Alubarika lóju"
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 06, 2013
Abegi. Wats d proof. Who coined them out of greek abi na latin.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by pure123: 2:37pm On Mar 06, 2013
SO I NO GET WORK NAA ALL THESE YORUBA STUFF I GO DEY READ? NOONSENSE
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Jarus(m): 2:41pm On Mar 06, 2013
~Bluetooth:

What the heck is borokini ? Is that a yoruba word ?
Awa borokini eeyan loye cheesy
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
Interesting...

Cultures borrow from other cultures, that's how this planet has always been... There are certain English words that have Indian origins as well....

However, it has more to do with interactions and trading with Songhay and Mali empires of old than anything else, and that was way before a fulani marauder called Uthman Dan Fodio's great grandfather was born ... The arab ragheads never colonised Yoruba people and Yoruba language has nothing to do with arabic...

I kind of agree with negro_ntns assertion, Yoruba language is more related to the old hebrew/ancient Egypt/canaanite language than arabic..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by ayobase(m): 2:45pm On Mar 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
i thought wahala is derived from wallahi, = i swear by God in Arabic. .

What's the meaning of wahala?
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 06, 2013
WAIT A MINUTE HOW SURE ARE WE ITS NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND, THE ARABS BORROWED STUFF FROM THE YORUBA LANGUAGE.
THEY SAY AFRIKA IS THE CRADLE OF CIVILIZATION (LOOKING AT THINGS NOW ONE IS TEMPTED TO DISAGREE). MAYBE ITS SOME YORUBAS THAT MIGRATED TO SAUDI AND BECAME ARABS. JUST SAYING undecided
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by alaoeri: 2:47pm On Mar 06, 2013
kabiyesiii: Arabic, like most languages, borrowed tons of words from Ancient Egyptian/Nubian language. In addition, through Jihad, the Arabs absorbed many loaned words from the Berbers, Tuaregs, Persians, Turks, Chinese and Indians. We tend to give Arabic too much credits on loaned words. Are we intellectually lazy?

Adura in Yoruba is not an Arabic word, but rather, it is a contraction of Ado Iwa. It is in odu ifa and it means the "divine energy/force of existence". It means the same thing in Ancient Egyptian language, which by the way, is very close to many West African languages. Ara is associated with Jakuta (Ṣango). Are you telling me that Yoruba never had a name for thunder until the encounter with Arabic? I no fit laugh o.

If you're not sure of the origin of a so called "loaned word", go to the ancient link, the KEMET/Nubian language group.

Thus, which language is much older between the Ancient Egyptian and "new kid on the block" Arabic? I rest my case.
Abraham & Egypt which first exist or u don't forget that Arabs are descendant of Abraham, its just that civilisation stated in Egypt which doesn't make it older than the Arabs beside most egyptian sees themselves as Arabs.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 06, 2013
How about arabic words that have Yoruba origins?? The arabic language isn't that old - the language was birthed less than 2000years ago... So, arabs also probably borrowed some words from Yoruba and all the other African tribes who lived near the nile river during ancient times.. #JustSaying
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 06, 2013
alaoeri:
Abraham & Egypt which first exist or u don't forget that Arabs are descendant of Abraham, its just that civilisation stated in Egypt which doesn't make it older than the Arabs beside most egyptian sees themselves as Arabs.

And who told you a man called "Abraham" walked this planet and that he wasn't just an allegory

Even apostle Paul said Abraham was an allegory in the book of Acts of Apostle...

Arabs are the first set of mixed race people on this planet, they're like the modern day Latinos and Hispanics...

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by ayobase(m): 2:52pm On Mar 06, 2013
Its normal....cultures are interwoven due to relationship over the years.

From language to food, to dance, to religion, to music, to intimacy positions, to slangs, to education, to weddings, to ......

Everything is!

Many words derived from french!

We borrow things we couldn't translate, but understood their meanings from the source!

The tongues alter the spellings!
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by huninaija(f): 2:53pm On Mar 06, 2013
Its sad to note that no credit tends to be given to africans in any matter concerning civilisation, history etc we are disregarded like beggars on the street, like we africans didn't have an impact on some of the languages spoken today.. Yoruba is an historic language and some of the words spoken by the arab world as pointed out by the OP where derived from africans and not the other way round...

I read somewhere that a very very long time ago, the places we call the middle-east today where inhabited by west-africans, including nigerians, until we where pushed through wars, further down into what we term today as W.africa.. Will try and post the link.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Vado(m): 2:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
trash.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by aryzgreat: 2:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
never! Arabs borrowed the words from us, even when oduduwa fall from heaven, arabs never get language
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Samxiulee: 2:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
Olayinkaoj: Good work there but I disagree with the following items:
5. Atele... A-te-le. If the word is broken down , same as I just did, one will see that it is a combination of Yoruba letters with meaning. Meaning A-We, te-le-follow, meaning we follow

7. Amo ....A-mo (in-addition) Mo means plus in Yoruba

8. Imale is a word from Imo-to-le meaning knowledge-that-is-difficult, there is nothing like Mali here

9. Iwaju, I think is a pure Yoruba word but I cant contest this much
Iwaju means I bi ti oju wa...where the eyes is facing..I dnt think that one have anything to do with Arabic.

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
This thread should be thrown in the bin or somewhere in the Islamic section for the brainwashed Arab jockeys!!! I don't know why black people are jocking Arabs who're camel jockeys by nature with rags on their heads...

Yoruba people and other African tribes are older than both Arabs and Arabic... Heck, arabic is probably another bastardised African language....
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by metti(m): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2013
Your post is nice. But how do you know that all these words originates from Arabic and not vice versa??
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Orikinla(m): 3:12pm On Mar 06, 2013
Odudwa was an Arabian Prince who met Orunmila and became naturalized as a Yorùbá and introduced these Arabic variations into the Yorùbá language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Alaafin of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Joins His Ancestors At 83 / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / The Cost Of Marrying An Mbaise Imo State Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.