Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,077 members, 7,957,016 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:16 AM

Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic (73924 Views)

Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List / Yoruba Words That Have Several Meanings / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by nlPoster: 12:13am On Dec 06, 2019
macof:
5. Tele - to follow
9. Ara - Thunder

17. Iwaju - front

These . . .are pure Yoruba words...

Ara means, friends, associates, etc.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by MetaPhysical: 4:56am On Dec 06, 2019
Is it possible that these words were ORIGINALLY Yoruba lexicon? If Yoruba was the indigenous language of Arabia it could explain why both places share that many words in context and meanings, +much more not yet explored.

The population that inherited Arabia behind the migrant Yoruba succeeded in assmilating the language and producing a hybrid with other tongues imported by the settling foreigners....or conquerors! Hence today the Yoruba words in Arabic are hard to decode without reference to Yoruba language itself for markers in similarities and interpretations.

We call Yoruba the borrower of Arabic words. Are we sure, that Yoruba borrowed its own language? Arabs are the borrowers of Yoruba language.

Consider the tribal identity Koreish (Qureish) for instance. Is it Arabic or Yoruba?

Examples -
Oreica/Orica/Orixa/Rixa/Onisha/Onicha/Ureisha/Urishe/Orishe/Orisha. It is a world order!

Look at the following attachment from Brazil, it is a spiritual prescription. Brazilians that observe Orixa/Orica can decode this prescription. I doubt any Yoruba can do it accurately without committing blunder....yet it is written in authentic Yoruba lexicon but morphed by accent and hybrids injected from other languages (Portguese, Latin, Spanish). If the boricas of Brazil become missioners and succeed in spreading the faith all over the globe, Yoruba could end up learning a new faith copied from it and must write spiritual prescriprions that look something like the attachment. Imagine that future generation comparing words borrowed by Yoruba from Brazil....

I have said many times that the spiritual observance in Islamic prayer consist of many acts of worship mirrored in Ifa initiation. In fact I am not the only person that have made this claim. Yoruba muslims are learning in Islam aspects of worship perfected by their ancestors in their original land in Mondiana. I have also speculated that the Great Oraminyan, was equally corrupted by historians and recorded wrongly as ARAMEAN. Oraminyan was a title in ancient Syria. Historians whose tongue and accents could not correctly pronounced Oramiyan...called and recorded it as Aramean!

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by macof(m): 11:08am On Dec 06, 2019
nlPoster:

Smh. That's your own problem
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by nlPoster: 11:21am On Dec 06, 2019
macof:

Smh. That's my own problem

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Olu317(m): 9:54pm On Dec 06, 2019
MetaPhysical, greetings to you. My take on your views are:

1. First, the last view of yours of pinning,Oranmiyan is isn't Aramean because such is an anglicised word . Awram or Aram from the history of Near East are people who lived around the era within Arabian land which is known as the land of ‘Or'(heat caused by sun or sun). So, Yoruba had this knowledg of an ancestor known as Ora. Meanwhile Ora is a form of powerful being who is brightness of light and known in Yoruba's myth as the one who charges the ‘thunder' to strike. As a name,Ora is a prefix to mi(èmi/émi) yah, which is derived from Yoruba's Ora, and can be used as a suffix too. Funnily, Hebrew have this name ‘Or' as prefix to their names,while both have same meaning.

2. Secondly, there were two groups that major in Yoruba lexicons and they are both Semitic in origin; Classic Hebrew and Arabic language. Unfortunately, people look at the Arabic angle which lesser than the classic Hebrews language. Plainly, I don't have knowledge of Arabic but classic Hebrew and Yoruba coded lettering, are what I can decipher and interpret.

3.Thirdly,Brazilians,till death comes, cannot decipher the code of; Oreica/Orica/Orixa/Rixa/Onisha/Onicha/Ureisha/Urishe/Orishe/Orisha because this word are all derived from classic Hebrew's original lettering rê'sh רֵאשׁ
Phonetic:raysh, Meaning: heads, chief, head,which was written over 3000+ years ago. And the only difference with Yoruba is modern day spelling.

4. Fourthly, the Yoruba people are not the only group that are connected to Ebora because the written of this man is also evident in classic Hebrew ,so Yoruba of today are not the only group that is connected to this man because other groups are connected to the ifaodu religion. This is the reason that I ,in my study of Yoruba's ifaodu myth of creation, it is equal to the name identified with Hebrew's light which Alah,which is same as Yoruba's but different from Arabic's meaning of the word,which is God. Interestingly, Ellah is one of the name of Hebrew's God and Ela is Yoruba's God of creation.

5. Interestingly, shams Arabic word which is derived from root sms for sun and some,Arab Yoruba used ‘Sanman' for sky or sky while classic Yoruba stood for the word Oorún. This word is actually closely related to Semitic Hebrew, which is ‘Or'.

6. Obviously, it is certain that there were two major group amongst the settlers in Yoruba land; Hebrew that came with the title of Ba or O ba and the ones that came with Baba. The research also show that Ba and Baba for father or lord, spiritual leader, respected elder, are not African lexicons? Ba is an Hebrew word while Baba is an Arabic word or Indus Valley people.

Note:
The reality is that over 97% of people,who thought Yoruba and Hebrew are not more connected than with Arabic or are ancestrally Africans is the inability by these people to read Classic Hebrew.

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Olu317(m): 5:17am On Dec 07, 2019
nlPoster:

Árá :
Meaning: the meaning varies such as, kindred, kinsmen, inhabitants of a place. Meanwhile, village indigenes don't use this word amongst themselves when they are in their respective but used this word on people who dwell in their town or their village. So, also for their own people who dwell in another town which he or she is not indigenous to.

Ãrá:
Meaning: thunder

rẹ́:
Meaning: be friendly together

ọ̀rẹ́:
Meaning: friends
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by nlPoster: 5:53am On Dec 07, 2019
Olu317:

Árá :
Meaning: the meaning varies such as, kindred, kinsmen, inhabitants of a place. Meanwhile, village indigenes don't use this word amongst themselves when they are in their respective but used this word on people who dwell in their town or their village. So, also for their own people who dwell in another town which he or she is not indigenous to.

Perhaps in your own understanding.

Ara is a general word, these distinctions you make are unknown in most places. Since ara also means "includes", I seriously doubt what you're saying.

Check the title of the following thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/380602/omo-yoruba-e-je-ka

Ara wa means ourselves.

Ãrá:
Meaning: thunder

rẹ́:
Meaning: be friendly together

ọ̀rẹ̀:
Meaning: friends

Most Yoruba words have more than one meaning depending on context.

Ara also means wonder, among other things.

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Olu317(m): 4:41pm On Dec 08, 2019
nlPoster:

Perhaps in your own understanding.

Ara is a general word, these distinctions you make are unknown in most places. Since ara also means "includes", I seriously doubt what you're saying.

Check the title of the following thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/380602/omo-yoruba-e-je-ka

Ara wa means ourselves.

Most Yoruba words have more than one meaning depending on context.

Ara also means wonder, among other things.

Diacritic separate homophone in Yoruba lexicon and it has nothing to do a with my understanding. Though some Yoruba words do have some form of homonym.

Àrá wá ( in this context)
Meaning: a member of ours or part of us

Àrá mì
Meaning: my skin,my body

On the post, you referred do have some good Yoruba and not good one.

Rin/Ri
Meaning: to walk from one place to another or movement from place to another

Irin:
Meaning:an act of walking from a place to another.

Ajo:
Meaning: journey to distance place or travel
Ju/Jo
Meaning: journey to a distance
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by nlPoster: 10:05pm On Dec 08, 2019
Seems you've brought other expressions that have nothing to do with the discussion.

What I wanted to enquire of you was, how do you handle feeling xenophobic as an attitude or nature?
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Olu317(m): 10:19pm On Dec 08, 2019
Lastly, you brought the idea of a thread, which you're familiar with and I went through some of the Yoruba language being translated rightfully and wrongfully. So, I did not digress because the purpose of this thread is about Yoruba's language and Arabic connection

Lastly, Xenophobic is way off the purpose of this thread and I am not comfortable with such behaviour.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Olu317(m): 10:30pm On Dec 08, 2019
Why twist things? You brought the idea of a link to a thread that you're familiar with and I went through some of the Yoruba words being translated rightfully and wrongfully in the thread you posted. So, I did not digress because the purpose of this thread is about Yoruba's language and Arabic connection. Furthermore, your interpretation of Ara wa isn't correct, in the manner you assumed it to be. The highest manoeuvring of this phrase is only if you intend to pluralise the, ‘awa' that became diminutive in the form , ‘ara + wa' ( our body ) .

Lastly, Xenophobic is way off the purpose of this thread and I am not comfortable with such behaviour. The reason being , my ancestral religion accommodate, everyone and didn't mentioned in any Ifaodu corpus that It was claimed to be the religion of a particular skin type that I have come across. Ifaodu religion is for the Darkskin, brownish skin , paleskin, Caucasian and light skin people. It is based on these beliefs that I see every creature of mankind as same people,irrespective of place, they occupy presently.Interestingly,the creation myth in Ifaodu was in said to be through void~emptiness~without form. The creator being Ela,who manifested purity~brightness~light as Ala,which is in Yoruba's cosmology
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by DuduNegro: 5:31am On Dec 16, 2019
Olu317:
Quite interesting and thought provoking . cool

Thanks sir!

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Olu317(m): 12:39pm On Dec 20, 2019
DuduNegro:

Thanks sir!

Sir, I appreciate you, the code breaker of YHWH which modern day Yoruba call as IYWAH~ IWA. So,do I applaud and doff my hat to other great men, especially such who are Orisas and those willing to become Orisas as who we are from time God chose Yoruba ancestors. Though, I am emotional about us but always willing to contribute my quota beyond the limitless worldview of deprivation by English language oriented Yorubas.

Itis my desire that we shall break boundaries either as Caucasians or brownish or dark skin people as our ancestors did while our half brothers await the unification of the chosen people of the world whose language is the ritual religious language of the only True God called ‘Ela'. Plainly, a day comes when Yoruba language shall become the language spoken in Rome and the rest of the world that believed in the true God that owns life.

Cheers
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by ricki: 7:36am On Dec 21, 2019
OdenigboAroli:

Dude,you are not sounding logical at all; how can you try to relate a yoruba language which is a congo-benue language with hebrew which is a semitic language!! You are a pathetic loser!! The truth which you are trying so hard to ignore is that the yoruba empires were defeated by the fulanis and the housas and were forcefully colonized and thats how they borrowed most of the words listed above by the OP.

are we not hebrews from the house of judah??

Acts 13 verse 1

says the disciples were nigerians.....
Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger

check 1st before sounding pathetic.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Olu317(m): 12:04pm On Dec 21, 2019
NegroNtns:

The truth of the matter is that both Yoruba and Arabic have roots in old Hebrew, and not the popular misconception that Yoruba borrowed from Arabic.

There are many words in Yoruba which coincide with Arabic but does not exist in Songhai or Hausa language and one have to wonder how the leapt could have been possible without a middle link. This is so because no one is studying or researching Yoruba language as a proto semitic tongue, the researchers are always looking for a middle link to explain the conjunction between Yoruba and Arabic.

For example. . .Ale (night in Yoruba) is equivalent to Al'Layl (night in Arabic) but does not occur in either of Songhai or Hausa. Also, Alantakun (spider in Yoruba) is Al'Ankabut (spider in Arabic) and does not have same form in Songhai or Hausa.. Most words in Yoruba that begin with Al or L will have this conjunction with Arabic and is strictly because they both evolved out of the same tongue source. Arabic has remained in its semitic landscape and region whereas Yoruba has vacated and moved far away and ended in dilution by different influences in the host landscape.

Some point of corrections. . . Kahlifa exist in Yoruba as a separate word from Alfa, so it is not a mixup. Also, Imale exist seaparate from Mola (Mu'allim), there is no confusion in its use or meaning.

It is ignorance in some quarters among some Yorubas,the likes of Fulaman198 and Op who underestimated Yoruba wealth of scientific and lettering knowledge(ideograms), without concrete evidence,when many of them accused Yoruba of having loaned word from Hausa people. It based on this, I will share Yoruba words with Semitic ideograms that Yoruba ancestors were ancient Hebrews. Some of the classic Semitic Hebrew language as compared with yoruba's words through the phonetic transliteration such as:

Hebrew:hênnâh הֵנָּה
Phonetic: hane'-naw
Meaning: direction,still, this side, way, thus, thus far, back and forth, here, nearby, to...fro, now, yet, since, this, other, here and there, hither, hitherto

Yoruba:ọ́ná
Yoruba:ọ́nọ́
Meaning:path, way, direction, path, back and forth

Hebrew:melo ̂מְלו
Phonetic:mel-o
Meaning: total, all it contains,band, all its fullness, handful, multitude, all, handfuls, fullness, fulness, full, contains, fill, omerful, which filled, all that is therein

Hebrew:lêyl לֵיל
Phonetic lale
Hebrew: layelâh
Phonetic:lah'-yel-aw
Hebrew:layil
Phonetic:lah'-yil
Meaning: night, nights, tonight, nocturnal, midnight, overnight, season

Yoruba: lale
Yoruba: ale
Meaning: night

Hebrew:benas בְּנַס
Phonetic: ben-as
Meaning: became indignant, be angry

Yoruba: binasi
Yoruba: binusi
Meaning:be angry at indignation

Hebrew: betsel בָּצָל
Phonetic:beh'-tsel
Meaning: onion

Hebrew:basal בצל
Phonetic: baw sawl
Meaning: Onion

Yoruba: abosa
Yoruba: alubosa
Yoruba: alibosa
Meaning: onion

Therefore it is important to emphasise here that Bini, is derived from Binasi/Binusi; A Yoruba word for anger,vex , which seemingly originated from Semitic language in the Near East, since, there is a semitic inscription to it. This word was used around 1170 AD when Oranmiyan arrived in Igodimogodo, in modern day part of Edo,in Nigeria.

My question: Can these people give concrete evidence that Yorubas loaned words from Hausa as well claim Hebrew loaned words from Hausa too ?

Cheers
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by GermanMelania: 11:13pm On Jan 24, 2020
The oju one especially makes sense. Yoruba people did not have faces until they had interaction with the arabs. It couldn't just be a coincidence that the words existed separately.
Take ounje for instance it bears resemblance to other labguages o oun je in brazil there is something called akaraje. Akara ounje this is because yoruba people didn't know anything about food or eating until brazil. There are other examples.

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by RuggedSniper: 6:54pm On Nov 19, 2020
NegroNtns:

The truth of the matter is that both Yoruba and Arabic have roots in old Hebrew, and not the popular misconception that Yoruba borrowed from Arabic.

There are many words in Yoruba which coincide with Arabic but does not exist in Songhai or Hausa language and one have to wonder how the leapt could have been possible without a middle link. This is so because no one is studying or researching Yoruba language as a proto semitic tongue, the researchers are always looking for a middle link to explain the conjunction between Yoruba and Arabic.

For example. . .Ale (night in Yoruba) is equivalent to Al'Layl (night in Arabic) but does not occur in either of Songhai or Hausa. Also, Alantakun (spider in Yoruba) is Al'Ankabut (spider in Arabic) and does not have same form in Songhai or Hausa.. Most words in Yoruba that begin with Al or L will have this conjunction with Arabic and is strictly because they both evolved out of the same tongue source. Arabic has remained in its semitic landscape and region whereas Yoruba has vacated and moved far away and ended in dilution by different influences in the host landscape.

Some point of corrections. . . Kahlifa exist in Yoruba as a separate word from Alfa, so it is not a mixup. Also, Imale exist seaparate from Mola (Mu'allim), there is no confusion in its use or meaning.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / Okunade Sijuwade, The Ooni Of Ife Is Dead / List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.