Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,920 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. (5922 Views)

Christianity And Science / The Interesting things About God / Conversation Between An Atheist Professor And His Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by PapaBrowne(m): 12:23pm On May 17, 2012
Professor : You are a Christian, aren’t you, son ?

Student : Yes, sir.

Professor: So, you believe in GOD ?

Student : Absolutely, sir.

Professor : Is GOD good ?

Student : Sure.

Professor: Is GOD all powerful ?

Student : Yes.

Professor: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to GOD to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But GOD didn’t. How is this GOD good then? Hmm?

(Student was silent.)

Professor: You can’t answer, can you ? Let’s start again, young fella. Is GOD good?

Professor: Is satan good ?

Student : No.

Professor: Where does satan come from ?

Student : From … GOD …

Professor: That’s right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Professor: Evil is everywhere, isn’t it ? And GOD did make everything. Correct?

Professor: So who created evil ?

(Student did not answer.)

Professor: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don’t they?

Professor: So, who created them ?

(Student had no answer.)

Professor: Science says you have 5 Senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Tell me, son, have you ever seen GOD?

Student : No, sir.

Professor: Tell us if you have ever heard your GOD?

Student : No , sir.

Professor: Have you ever felt your GOD, tasted your GOD, smelt your GOD? Have you ever had any sensory perception of GOD for that matter?

Student : No, sir. I’m afraid I haven’t.

Professor: Yet you still believe in Him?

Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says your GOD doesn’t exist. What do you say to that, son?

Student : Nothing. I only have my faith.

Professor: Yes, faith. And that is the problem Science has.

Student : Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Professor: Yes.

Student : And is there such a thing as cold?

Professor: Yes.

Student : No, sir. There isn’t.

(The lecture theater became very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student : Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don’t have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can’t go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.

(There was pin-drop silence in the lecture theater.)

Student : What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Professor: Yes. What is night if there isn’t darkness?

Student : You’re wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light. But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and its called darkness, isn’t it? In reality, darkness isn’t. If it is, well you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn’t you?

Professor: So what is the point you are making, young man ?

Student : Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.

Professor: Flawed ? Can you explain how?

Student : Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good GOD and a bad GOD. You are viewing the concept of GOD as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, Science can’t even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing.

Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Professor: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student : Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shook his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument was going.)

Student : Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor. Are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher?

(The class was in uproar.)

Student : Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor’s brain?

(The class broke out into laughter. )

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?

(The room was silent. The Professor stared at the student, his face unfathomable.)

Professor: I guess you’ll have to take them on faith, son.

Student : That is it sir … Exactly ! The link between man & GOD is FAITH. That is all that keeps things alive and moving.

By the way, that student was EINSTEIN.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by logicboy: 2:00pm On May 17, 2012
This should serve as evidence that christianity is a foolish religion. This article has been debunked so many times that it should have its own grave by now.

[img]http://cafewitteveen.files./2010/10/63031_1485605577335_1149750185_32371760_7271009_n.jpg[/img]
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by trent9002(m): 2:30pm On May 17, 2012
@papabrowne. And what do you intend to prove by this load of crap? Just read it again quietly to yourself and see the nonsense you have written. Which one be heat and no heat? Every one can feel the effects of coldness. As for the seeing of the prof's brain, U know, There is this thing called Ultrasound. Maybe u shld check urs to ensure its still there. Na wa o
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by italo: 5:53pm On May 17, 2012
That you cannot see or touch something physically, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Simple!

That's the essence of the post.

How could you not figure that out?
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by logicboy: 5:56pm On May 17, 2012
italo: That you cannot see or touch something physically, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Simple!

Are you defending a hoax?

You christians are pathetic
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by italo: 7:13pm On May 17, 2012
logicboy:

Whether the story is a "hoax" or not, I don't know and I don't care. My answer remains:

italo: That you cannot see or touch something physically, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Simple!

Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by Ptolomeus(m): 7:16pm On May 17, 2012
WE HAVE FUN A MOMENT:
Let us attend THIS DIALOGUE

PapaBrowne: Professor : You are a Christian, aren’t you, son ?

Professor: So, you believe in GOD ?

Student : Absolutely, sir.

Professor : Is GOD good ?

Student : Sure.

Professor: Is GOD all powerful ?

Professor: Is satan good ?

Student : No.

Professor: Where does satan come from ?

Student : From … GOD …

Professor: If God hands you two pears and two oranges, how many grapes are you?

Student : I ... I have ... five watermelons

Professor and student belonging to a school down.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by oiseworld: 8:42pm On May 17, 2012
i can't believe the ethist have been kept quiet by this true and enlighthening story. very funny.

The big b.ang people !!!
Hhahahahaah!!
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by PapaBrowne(m): 11:12pm On May 17, 2012
logicboy: This should serve as evidence that christianity is a foolish religion. This article has been debunked so many times that it should have its own grave by now.

I like intelligence. I can engage intelligent folks. You said nothing, so I don't know how to respond to you! Soorry!
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by PapaBrowne(m): 11:12pm On May 17, 2012
logicboy:

Doesn't matter if its a hoax. The article simply mirrors the inadequacy of science as much of it depends on faith. It takes more faith to believe in the Big Bang Theory than it takes to believe in the creation story.

Many atheists would ask why you believe in a God you've never seen, but if you check, you'll find that much of all what we base of everyday judgements upon are actually dependent faith rather than on senses.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by logicboy: 11:21pm On May 17, 2012
italo:

Whether the story is a "hoax" or not, I don't know and I don't care. My answer remains:

You love to be ignorant dont you?
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by logicboy: 11:27pm On May 17, 2012
PapaBrowne:
Professor: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student : Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shook his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument was going.)

Student : Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor. Are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher?

(The class was in uproar.)

Student : Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor’s brain?

(The class broke out into laughter. )

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?

By the way, that student was EINSTEIN.

1) Everybody has witnessed evolution. The very fact that your wisdom teeth is useless and your jaw is smaller compared to the bones or fossils of men that lived in the early centuries is proof of evolution.

2) The are scans and Xrays and dead human bodies. We know that the professor has a brain

3) The student was not Einstein. That is a hoax
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by logicboy: 11:29pm On May 17, 2012
italo:

Give me an example of something that I can not touch feel or see or has no emprical evidence that I believe in, apart from God
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by PapaBrowne(m): 11:55pm On May 17, 2012
logicboy:

1) Everybody has witnessed evolution. The very fact that your wisdom teeth is useless and your jaw is smaller compared to the bones or fossils of men that lived in the early centuries is proof of evolution.

2) The are scans and Xrays and dead human bodies. We know that the professor has a brain

3) The student was not Einstein. That is a hoax

Can you tell me how come you believe "the bones are fossils of men who lived in the early centuries"? Did you see them? Have you touched them?? Why do U [b]believe [/b]in something that could be discovered to be a fairy tale? Someone just thought up the idea of fossils and you [b]believe [/b]it just like that?? For someone that [b]believes [/b]only in things he has sensed, I'm really at a loss as to how you came about [b]believing [/b]in Fossils.

About scans and Xrays, its amazing that you actually [b]believe [/b]that a piece of glass with light shinning through could actually tell you whats inside the human body. It takes a lot of faith to believe that! Because, it could actually be that what you thought were pictures from the human body were just lateral designs embedded in the glass.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by logicboy: 12:12am On May 18, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Can you tell me how come you believe "the bones are fossils of men who lived in the early centuries"? Did you see them? Have you touched them?? Why do U [b]believe [/b]in something that could be discovered to be a fairy tale? Someone just thought up the idea of fossils and you [b]believe [/b]it just like that?? For someone that [b]believes [/b]only in things he has sensed, I'm really at a loss as to how you came about [b]believing [/b]in Fossils.

You dont know what a skeleton looks like? Were there not people from ancient times buried with ancient artifact? Do you know what carbon dating is?

PapaBrowne:

About scans and Xrays, its amazing that you actually [b]believe [/b]that a piece of glass with light shinning through could actually tell you whats inside the human body. It takes a lot of faith to believe that! Because, it could actually be that what you thought were pictures from the human body were just lateral designs embedded in the glass.

Are you serious? We all know what a brain looks like and we see similar images in scans. How old are you? Ihope you're a teenager with this level of intelligence.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by italo: 12:24am On May 18, 2012
logicboy:

You love to be ignorant dont you?

I DONT MIND being ignorant about things that don't matter... And it doesn't matter if the story is a hoax or not.

"Love?" That's another thing entirely. Be prudent with your words.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by PapaBrowne(m): 12:39am On May 18, 2012
logicboy:

You dont know what a skeleton looks like? Were there not people from ancient times buried with ancient artifact? Do you know what carbon dating is?

Are you serious? We all know what a brain looks like and we see similar images in scans. How old are you? Ihope you're a teenager with this level of intelligence.

How do you know that people from ancient times were buried with ancient artifacts?? Please tell me how you came to that conclusion, because you weren't there when they claimed that happened. So how come you know for sure that people were buried with ancient artifacts? For all I care they could just be rock formations that looked like skeletons and it could all just be coincidental. I'm surprised you believed that- something you never sensed!!

Carbon Dating? You believe that stuff?? Seriously??
Definition
Radiocarbon dating (sometimes simply known as carbon dating) is a radiometric dating method that uses the naturally occurring radioisotope carbon-14 (14C) to estimate the age of carbon-bearing materials up to about 58,000 to 62,000 years.

What the heck is radioisotope. Whats that definition up there?? Someone just came up with something from his head and named it Radioisotope, a group of people [b]believed [/b]him and today are using what they [b]believe [/b]to ascertain the age of materials?? No exact measure to test the authenticity since nobody was present thousands of years ago to verify for us if carbon dating is accurate?? And yet without that full proof accuracy, you [b]believe [/b]in carbon dating??

Can you explain how different are you from all them Christians who go around [b]believing [/b]stuff they have no proof or sensory based evidence about?
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by italo: 12:40am On May 18, 2012
logicboy:

Nobody can prove to me that he/she has witnessed evolution. It is not a fact that my wisdom tooth is useless and my jaw is smaller than those of men that lived in the early centuries. You can't prove that the fossils found (which I doubt you have ever touched) are those of men "that lived in the early centuries."

logicboy: 2) The are scans and Xrays and dead human bodies. We know that the professor has a brain

How do you know the professor has a brain if the story is a lie and you haven't seen, touched or felt his brain? Who x-rayed or scanned the pof's brain?

logicboy: 3) The student was not Einstein. That is a hoax

Who was the student then? If you don't know, then how do you know it wasn't Einstein?.. Even though it doesn't matter...
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by logicboy: 12:56am On May 18, 2012
italo:

Nobody can prove to me that he/she has witnessed evolution. It is not a fact that my wisdom tooth is useless and my jaw is smaller than those of men that lived in the early centuries. You can't prove that the fossils found (which I doubt you have ever touched) are those of men "that lived in the early centuries."
It is a fact that wisdom teeth are useless. 35% of the population do not even grow wisdom teeth. Why do christians like yourself hate to accept facts? Dont you feel ashamed for lying?

Furthermore, I was talking about medieval times of which there are crypts in which they are buried. Even going further back than that are mummies that have been preserved and the mummies of Seti 1 and Tutankhamum have been found and their exact centuries known.

italo:

How do you know the professor has a brain if the story is a lie and you haven't seen, touched or felt his brain? Who x-rayed or scanned the pof's brain?

Who was the student then? If you don't know, then how do you know it wasn't Einstein?.. Even though it doesn't matter...

If there was a professor, he clearly had a brain. It is a fact that humans can not function without a brain. We also know what brains look like with looking at dead bodies. Stop acting foolish

The student was not Einstein and the story has been debunked;

http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by logicboy: 1:09am On May 18, 2012
PapaBrowne:

How do you know that people from ancient times were buried with ancient artifacts?? Please tell me how you came to that conclusion, because you weren't there when they claimed that happened. So how come you know for sure that people were buried with ancient artifacts? For all I care they could just be rock formations that looked like skeletons and it could all just be coincidental. I'm surprised you believed that- something you never sensed!!

Definition
Radiocarbon dating (sometimes simply known as carbon dating) is a radiometric dating method that uses the naturally occurring radioisotope carbon-14 (14C) to estimate the age of carbon-bearing materials up to about 58,000 to 62,000 years.

What the heck is radioisotope. Whats that definition up there?? Someone just came up with something from his head and named it Radioisotope, a group of people [b]believed [/b]him and today are using what they [b]b
elieve
[/b]to ascertain the age of materials?? No exact measure to test the authenticity since nobody was present thousands of years ago to verify for us if carbon dating is accurate?? And yet without that full proof accuracy, you [b]believe [/b]in carbon dating??

Can you explain how different are you from all them Christians who go around [b]believing [/b]stuff they have no proof or sensory based evidence about?

This amount of willful ignorance and stupidity requires a lot of patience and debunking.

1) There are crypts from medieval times and Mummies from Eqyptian pyramids.

For crypts;

-Wealthy families were the ones that used crypst. Family emblems, markings and artifacts compared with the history of the place help to piece the dating and the people who are buried there

-Carbon dating

For mummies;
-The hieroglyphics and the history of the Egyptians are used to piece together who the mummies were. Ancient Egyptian Kings and priests like Ramses/Seti 1 have been found

-Carbon dating.

2) Carbon dating is a well tested technique. Science does not just guess. There are hundreds of peer reviewed journals on each scientific technique or theory. Carbon dating is clearly not 100% accurate but has a calculated margin of error.

3) Why is it that Christians are only skeptical about science when it negates their religion? No one questions germ theory or theory of gravity but the theory of evolution is false? Remember that before germ theory was established, christians were believing that God could cure illnesses
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by Purist(m): 1:23am On May 18, 2012
Oh god. Not THIS story again!

Seriously, you guys need to start being creative, instead of recycling old and FALSE stories all over the world wide web. Only those with a poor understanding of science will be wowed by the so-called argument in this story. I have not the time to go into arguments, so I'll simply provide you a link with a pretty decent rebuttal. Here you go: http://www.rationalresponders.com/debunking_an_urban_legend_evil_is_a_lack_of_something
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by Purist(m): 1:33am On May 18, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Definition

What the heck is radioisotope. Whats that definition up there?? Someone just came up with something from his head and named it Radioisotope, a group of people [b]believed [/b]him and today are using what they [b]believe [/b]to ascertain the age of materials?? No exact measure to test the authenticity since nobody was present thousands of years ago to verify for us if carbon dating is accurate?? And yet without that full proof accuracy, you [b]believe [/b]in carbon dating??

Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by trent9002(m): 7:27am On May 18, 2012
@logicboy, You even get time to answer them this their silly questions. Theists don't have anything else to say, all their arguments have been refuted. They are now makin silly arguments. They are now recyclin stuff from NL. I just saw an old thread with this same story on NL, And as usual, the atheists won the arguments. @PapaBrowne, Fossils is an established fact, Carbon Dating, If u did Chemistry in HS, it is so simple to understand, anyone arguing it is just silly. And the fact that u've got nothing else to say than to fabricate stories about Einstein, Says a lot how desperate you are. The last time I checked, your fav. book, the bible, lying is a sin, Innit? Now, May jehova, Yahweh, JC etc in their immaculate sanctified pure Holy thunder come on you for disobeyin them, Amen
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by italo: 8:16am On May 18, 2012
logicboy:
It is a fact that wisdom teeth are useless. 35% of the population do not even grow wisdom teeth. Why do christians like yourself hate to accept facts? Dont you feel ashamed for lying?

It is not a fact that wisdom teeth are useless. How many wisdom teeth have you monitored, to find out if they are useful or useless? You certainly haven't monitored mine. Are you just working with FAITH in what you have been told?

[quote author=logicboy]Furthermore, I was talking about medieval times of which there are crypts in which they are buried. Even going further back than that are mummies that have been preserved and the mummies of Seti 1 and Tutankhamum have been found and their exact centuries known.

These are not facts. You are just repeating what you were told, because you BELIEVE it. Which of them have you seen or touched before?

logicboy: If there was a professor, he clearly had a brain. It is a fact that humans can not function without a brain. We also know what brains look like with looking at dead bodies. Stop acting foolish

I have never in my life seen a human brain, to be honest, except in drawings. Going by your way of reasoning, I shouldn't believe that humans have brains, should I?.. At least not until I see. And even if I had seen, it wouldn't mean that every single person on the face of the earth had one, would it? I would have to see and touch all of them.

logicboy: The student was not Einstein and the story has been debunked;

http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp

The people who debunked the story might be wrong. This is not to say that I think it was Einstein, I don't even care... But we cannot be absolutely sure it wasn't Einstein. We weren't there when the story was told or "made up" and we didn't follow Einstein all the days of his life to know for sure that he didn't have that conversation, did we? Once again, you choose to BELIEVE what you have no proof of, just because you were told.

I'm just tryna reason the way you taught me boss...

My! What confusion you live in.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by italo: 8:33am On May 18, 2012
logicboy:

This amount of willful ignorance and stupidity requires a lot of patience and debunking.

1) There are crypts from medieval times and Mummies from Eqyptian pyramids.

For crypts;

-Wealthy families were the ones that used crypst. Family emblems, markings and artifacts compared with the history of the place help to piece the dating and the people who are buried there

-Carbon dating

For mummies;
-The hieroglyphics and the history of the Egyptians are used to piece together who the mummies were. Ancient Egyptian Kings and priests like Ramses/Seti 1 have been found

-Carbon dating.

2) Carbon dating is a well tested technique. Science does not just guess. There are hundreds of peer reviewed journals on each scientific technique or theory. Carbon dating is clearly not 100% accurate but has a calculated margin of error.

3) Why is it that Christians are only skeptical about science when it negates their religion? No one questions germ theory or theory of gravity but the theory of evolution is false? Remember that before germ theory was established, christians were believing that God could cure illnesses

So now that we choose to reason like you, its "willful ignorance". Its a good thing you know.

All these things you mentioned are not 100% certain. "Germ theory", "gravity"... They might be true...or FALSE.

Which of these things have you seen and touched before?
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by dekung(m): 8:57am On May 18, 2012
Well, while I hate to engage people in argument, I would love to posit the with the arguments on evolution and scientific guesses with the following questions:
1. What is the cause of Sickle Cell in humans?
2. What cuases pathogenic bacteria and germs to develop resistance to certain drugs over time?
3. Why do foetus of all primates, humans inclusive, have furry coating on their skins but humans shed theirs before birth?
4. How come all primates have appendix but is very well enlarged in other plant eating or foraging primates but significantly shrunk in humans?
I would also like to say here for all opponents of evolution that the Bible actually silently proposed evo. Why? If for the sake of argument I choose to believe the creation story, we were told that God created only Adam and Even. While we were not told the actual race of people that God created, were can see today that the humans have evolved into several races with distinct features. This same argument goes for other animals like the bears, canine, feline, reptile etc. Religion/christianity began the theory of human evolution from Adam, Science on the other hand takes it much further than Adam.
@OP, the story you posted up there is very old has been debunked as a hoax because that conversation never took place.
@italo, while it is true that just because you cannot feel, touch or sense something does not neccessaarily negate its existence but once it has been known or argued to exist then it must be provable and measurable and usable. You cant see, touch or feel electromagnetic waves with you physical senses but once it was discovered, it had been simulated (proved), measured and used for d benefit of all. The God theory on the other hand has not been proven or measures empirically by diverse groups, only religious and faith based groups have claimed beyond doubts that the entity exists. Some claim here that science is also faith based, I will beg to disagree. Faith say 'Believing is seeing', Science says 'seeing is believing'.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by dekung(m): 9:15am On May 18, 2012
...how many believers here would agree to flown by a man who claims he was taught by the Holy Spirit the art flying planes? Am sure any right thinking person would rather fly in trained pilot's plane who went to aviation school and did all the physical and scientific training, another question is how many would fly in plane built by religious leaders who have no training in the science of aviation? Lets not fool ourselves here, science makes predictions and guesses but it also goes ahead to test its position empirically. Science does not rely on blind faith in everything like most of us do not on certain things. In 1943, Alfred Blalock was accused of sacriledge when he wanted to perform the first ever open heart surgery in a human baby. His exact words to the priest who confronted him was 'God wants to kill this child but I am going to save her life'. He went ahead and performed the surgery despite severe warnings from both the religious and the medical community in the US then. As we speak today doctors in the US perform more than 2million open heart surgeries yearly saving millions of lives that would have otherwise been killed.
Science has saved more people's lives in recent history than religion can ever do in eternity
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by dekung(m): 9:23am On May 18, 2012
italo:

So now that we choose to reason like you, its "willful ignorance". Its a good thing you know.

All these things you mentioned are not 100% certain. "Germ theory", "gravity"... They might be true...or FALSE.

Which of these things have you seen and touched before?
....erhm sir, you cannot touch gravity but you feel the effects everytime. Anytime you stand and do not fly off, that is gravity. Everytime that plate drops from you hand and it hits the ground, that is gravity. Everytime you lay on your bed and do not float away, that is gravity. You may choose to call it another name but that does not change the overwhelming effects of the phenomenon.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by dekung(m): 9:49am On May 18, 2012
There has never been a society that has suffered from
too much reasonability, but non-reasonability, the type
found in religious conviction has damned many to ruin,
tearing families and nations asunder, and demanding
genocide, persecution, and all manner of atrocity.
=: Isn't it time we left childish things from the infancy of
our species behind?
=: Isn't it time we based our views on objective truths
instead of religious value judgements?
=: Isn’t it time we stopped terrifying children with
threats of eternal suffering if they do not believe in
what is demonstrably false and morally reprehensible?
=: Isn’t it time we stopped persecuting our mothers,
daughters, and sisters in accordance with the
misogynist agendas of the backwards authors of the
various religions?
=: Isn’t it time we understood that there is just as much
evidence for Greek mythological deities as there is for
current deities, which is to say precisely none?
Isn’t it time?
Please share, the question is worth asking.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by Avicenna: 9:55am On May 18, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Can you tell me how come you believe "the bones are fossils of men who lived in the early centuries"? Did you see them? Have you touched them?? Why do U [b]believe [/b]in something that could be discovered to be a fairy tale? Someone just thought up the idea of fossils and you [b]believe [/b]it just like that?? For someone that [b]believes [/b]only in things he has sensed, I'm really at a loss as to how you came about believing [/b]in Fossils.

PapaBrowne:

[b]Definition

What the heck is radioisotope. Whats that definition up there?? Someone just came up with something from his head and named it Radioisotope, a group of people [b]believed [/b]him and today are using what they [b]believe [/b]to ascertain the age of materials?? No exact measure to test the authenticity since nobody was present thousands of years ago to verify for us if carbon dating is accurate?? And yet without that full proof accuracy, you believe [/b]in carbon dating??

PapaBrowne:

[b]Definition

What the heck is radioisotope. Whats that definition up there?? Someone just came up with something from his head and named it Radioisotope, a group of people [b]believed [/b]him and today are using what they [b]believe [/b]to ascertain the age of materials?? No exact measure to test the authenticity since nobody was present thousands of years ago to verify for us if carbon dating is accurate?? And yet without that full proof accuracy, you believe [/b]in carbon dating??

PapaBrowne:

[b]Definition

But logic, you must be an extremely patient man. I totally lost my cool yesterday. I refused to post.
Chai, see ignorance. I won't even try to debunk them, you v done enough of that anyway. Anybody reading this and following that guy's reasoning is an intellectual lost case.
And MR op, a little bit of knowledge on what you are debunking will do you well in the future.
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by italo: 10:51am On May 18, 2012
dekung: Well, while I hate to engage people in argument, I would love to posit the with the arguments on evolution and scientific guesses with the following questions:
1. What is the cause of Sickle Cell in humans?
2. What cuases pathogenic bacteria and germs to develop resistance to certain drugs over time?
3. Why do foetus of all primates, humans inclusive, have furry coating on their skins but humans shed theirs before birth?
4. How come all primates have appendix but is very well enlarged in other plant eating or foraging primates but significantly shrunk in humans?
I would also like to say here for all opponents of evolution that the Bible actually silently proposed evo. Why? If for the sake of argument I choose to believe the creation story, we were told that God created only Adam and Even. While we were not told the actual race of people that God created, were can see today that the humans have evolved into several races with distinct features. This same argument goes for other animals like the bears, canine, feline, reptile etc. Religion/christianity began the theory of human evolution from Adam, Science on the other hand takes it much further than Adam.
@OP, the story you posted up there is very old has been debunked as a hoax because that conversation never took place.
@italo, while it is true that just because you cannot feel, touch or sense something does not neccessaarily negate its existence but once it has been known or argued to exist then it must be provable and measurable and usable. You cant see, touch or feel electromagnetic waves with you physical senses but once it was discovered, it had been simulated (proved), measured and used for d benefit of all. The God theory on the other hand has not been proven or measures empirically by diverse groups, only religious and faith based groups have claimed beyond doubts that the entity exists. Some claim here that science is also faith based, I will beg to disagree. Faith say 'Believing is seeing', Science says 'seeing is believing'.

Firstly, I am not entirely against the evolution theory. I think some of its propositions could be true but I don't think that there is proof that humans evolved from fishes. Please give me proof of that if you have it.

If you say anything that has been known or argued to exist must be provable, measurable and usable, what about dreams, thought, emotions, do they exist or not? And are they usable, provable and measurable?

Have you simulated and measured electromagnetic waves before or do you just have FAITH in what scientists say? Be honest.

The existence of God has been proved empirically by diverse groups. Religious and faith-based groups are diverse. They include scientists, business people, sports people, soldiers, philosophers etc.

My faith doesn't tell me that "believing is seeing." I wonder where you got that from...
Re: Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. by ea7(m): 11:40am On May 18, 2012
this anvil needs to be dropped www.rationalresponders.com/debunking_an_urban_legend_evil_is_a_lack_of_something
@above poster, your phones and internet don't run on prayer do they?

(1) (2) (Reply)

If You Doubt The Existence Of God, What Do You Say About This / Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate / Christian Author Says Female Masturbation Is ‘Direct Path To Satan’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.