Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,880 members, 7,813,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! (3218 Views)

Superman Soldier Spotted In North East Battle Ground / Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon / 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Obiagu1(m): 7:38am On May 18, 2012
It is so hard to become a millionaire in North America today. Their economy is structured to encourage the rich to get wealthier and the poor to remain poor and working class citizens.
You can only become a millionaire if you make music, you do sports, you become an actor/actress, through inheritance or you win a lottery! You can also become a millionaire if you are a damn good programmer. Only a few actually get to the top of their companies to have a chance of becoming millionaires. Apart from that, you'll remain a damn worker and battle all your life to pay off your mortgage. If you get screwed, you lose your damn house to your wife when she leaves you and you end up in an apartment. sad

This is why Nigeria should try not to copy Western economy as it is today. The likes of WalMart and Shoprite should be resisted else the ONLY avenue for the poor to make it to the top of the society will be swallowed up by large retail stores and everyone else will work for them for a meagre pay.

Let's be wise!
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by ektbear: 7:57am On May 18, 2012
Most North Americans have a pretty good life, despite not having anything near 1 mil in NW.

Makes no sense to say, "Hey, it is hard to be a millionaire in location A, therefore X, Y, Z about the life of your median resident of location A."

Your logic is faulty.

Plus...it is easier to be a millionaire in say the US than in most other countries. Dunno if the same is true of Canada or Mexico, though.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by DisGuy: 9:18am On May 18, 2012
You dont have to be a millionaire in some countries to live a decent well fulfilled life!!

Whats the point of being a millionaire in say Somalia or Zimbabwe at the moment?
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Nobody: 10:21am On May 18, 2012
@OP
may i ask: who told you that becoming a millionaire (in $$) ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD was easy?! pls slap that mofo for me, at a 45degree angle!!!!!!

the fact that you would even believe that nonsense, shows us all the kind of mindset you had when arriving in the US, and therefore i can understand EVEN MORE why you would never succeed over there. you probably thought you would simply walk into a bank, show your passport and be handed a million $$ with a thank you note. lol
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by sweethunibun(m): 11:25am On May 18, 2012
Dis Guy: You dont have to be a millionaire in some countries to live a decent well fulfilled life!!

Whats the point of being a millionaire in say Somalia or Zimbabwe at the moment?
somalia currency is sh*t £8 pounds is full of big garri sack
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Obiagu1(m): 3:10pm On May 18, 2012
ekt_bear: Most North Americans have a pretty good life, despite not having anything near 1 mil in NW.

Makes no sense to say, "Hey, it is hard to be a millionaire in location A, therefore X, Y, Z about the life of your median resident of location A."

Your logic is faulty.

Plus...it is easier to be a millionaire in say the US than in most other countries. Dunno if the same is true of Canada or Mexico, though.

Good life? Yes, many live a pretty good life because the countries in North America (the US and Canada only) have accumulated wealth over the years. They now have a mean wealth that could be termed liveable. Could a story of an "untalented" guy like Dangote or Ibeto making it to the top in today's North America be told? Maybe not in this generation or next.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 18, 2012
Obiagu1: It is so hard to become a millionaire in North America today. Their economy is structured to encourage the rich to get wealthier and the poor to remain poor and working class citizens.
You can only become a millionaire if you make music, you do sports, you become an actor/actress, through inheritance or you win a lottery! You can also become a millionaire if you are a damn good programmer. Only a few actually get to the top of their companies to have a chance of becoming millionaires. Apart from that, you'll remain a damn worker and battle all your life to pay off your mortgage. If you get screwed, you lose your damn house to your wife when she leaves you and you end up in an apartment. sad

This is why Nigeria should try not to copy Western economy as it is today. The likes of WalMart and Shoprite should be resisted else the ONLY avenue for the poor to make it to the top of the society will be swallowed up by large retail stores and everyone else will work for them for a meagre pay.

Let's be wise!
Dude, seriously you need to educate yourself. If I step into that country, I will only seek part time jobs to learn some important skills for free. As to making money, I will do that as an entrepreneur.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Obiagu1(m): 3:21pm On May 18, 2012
blink182: Dude, seriously you need to educate yourself. If I step into that country, I will only seek part time jobs to learn some important skills for free. As to making money, I will do that as an entrepreneur.

LMAO! Well I won't doubt you because you could be a genius!
But I tell you, most people that want to stop working for someone and become entrepreneurs are moving back to their countries.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Nebeuwa(m): 3:31pm On May 18, 2012
And this is why Nigerians suffer from "Get Rich Quick" schemes. This thread is an example.

OP is you want to make a million or more, create something innovative. The United States is the best place for people to follow their dreams.

This is the same country where Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple was born out of wedlock, put up for adoption at birth, dropped out of college, then changed the world. He did it in America.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Afam4eva(m): 3:36pm On May 18, 2012
@OP
You have a point. But you have to understand that not everyone cares about being a millionaire. Many Nigeria will kill to have a decent life like is obtained in America.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by london2lasgidi(m): 3:38pm On May 18, 2012
If you think it's hard to become a millionaire in North America, try the UK. cheesy

It's easier for a pig to go through the eye of a needle, than a black person to become a millionaire in this part of the world.

Be thankful for what you have. lipsrsealed
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Afam4eva(m): 3:39pm On May 18, 2012
But you have to know that America is probably the fairest country in the world. In that country everybody is given equal opportunities to excel.

1 Like

Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Obiagu1(m): 3:48pm On May 18, 2012
Nebeuwa: And this is why Nigerians suffer from "Get Rich Quick" schemes. This thread is an example.

OP is you want to make a million or more, create something innovative. The United States is the best place for people to follow their dreams.

This is the same country where Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple was born out of wedlock, put up for adoption at birth, dropped out of college, then changed the world. He did it in America.

Like I said, it's only the super talented that make it these days be it Bill Gate, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg or Larry Page. God damn you if you were born poor and have no special talent.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Afam4eva(m): 3:52pm On May 18, 2012
Obiagu1:

Like I said, it's only the super talented that make it these days be it Bill Gate, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg or Larry Page. God damn you if you were born poor and have no special talent.
Everyone has a talent. It's being able to translate one's talent to power that many people can't do.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Obiagu1(m): 3:52pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva: @OP
You have a point. But you have to understand that not everyone cares about being a millionaire. Many Nigeria will kill to have a decent life like is obtained in America.

I agree but such decent life could be attained in Nigeria too over the years as a result of accumulated wealth. But in Nigeria, very poor people with no special talent or education could still get wealthy within their lifetime. In North America, NO!, not in your lifetime but could be your (great) grand kid that continued from where you stopped. cool
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by PhysicsQED(m): 3:58pm On May 18, 2012
sweet hunibun: somalia currency is sh*t

You'd probably be better off trying to make a purchase using sh1t than trying to buy something with Somali shillings. Terrible currency and a terrible country. The very a$$hole of planet earth.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Nebeuwa(m): 3:59pm On May 18, 2012
Obiagu1:

Not everyone is meant to be a business titan. We all have our roles to play.

And if you are interested in becoming a millionaire, the best industries to be involved in is Information Technology, Biotechnology and Health care.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Afam4eva(m): 3:59pm On May 18, 2012
PhysicsQED:

You'd probably be better off trying to make a purchase using sh1t than trying to buy something with Somali shillings. Terrible currency and a terrible country. The very a$$hole of planet earth.
Abeg, don't allow that somali guy to make you hate the country so much.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by PhysicsQED(m): 4:08pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Abeg, don't allow that somali guy to make you hate the country so much.

The thing is, the mindset that he carries is firmly engrained in the culture and history of the country so it's not an isolated thing or an internet only thing. Find out about the "somali jareer" and what his people think of them.

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread so I'll just leave it at that.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 18, 2012
Obiagu1:

LMAO! Well I won't doubt you because you could be a genius!
But I tell you, most people that want to stop working for someone and become entrepreneurs are moving back to their countries.
I am no genius but a surviving nigerian entrepreneur. I know how the system there works. Dude too much money to be made, maybe not enough to make me a millionaire but definitely enough to make me rich.

1 Like

Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by SamIkenna: 6:32pm On May 18, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Man! you're too mean to Somalia, lol! At least Somalia has an excuse (war), what about Republic of Mugabe, sorry, Zimbabwe - Elder Mugabe has Roberto Mugabized the value of their dollar to the extent it became completely worthless. I remember one poem we used to recite when we were in primary school, it goes like this - Africa my africa, Africa of proud warriors........ (cant remember the rest). Anyway, my take on it is - can we honestly say Africa is full of proud warriors? Africa, especially sub-sahara, with the exception of SA, has brought the roof down on her children.

As bad as USA is, its a million times better than African countries. Even if you dont become a millionaire, at least you can go to school in a well air-conditioned class, finish your work without running away from cultist, and graduate in record time without any hassles from lecturers.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by ektbear: 6:37pm On May 18, 2012
So the US sucks because although poor talented people can easily become millionaires, poor, untalented ones can't?

Which country on earth do large #s of poor untalented people become rich? undecided

I think you underestimate these people that you believe had/have no talent...

In any case, for the vast majority of people across the world, they'd choose to immigrate to the US over almost any other country..
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Obiagu1(m): 7:40pm On May 18, 2012
ekt_bear: So the US sucks because although poor talented people can easily become millionaires, poor, untalented ones can't?

Which country on earth do large #s of poor untalented people become rich? undecided

I think you underestimate these people that you believe had/have no talent...

In any case, for the vast majority of people across the world, they'd choose to immigrate to the US over almost any other country..

The word "easily" is an overstatement; you just overstretched the truth. The poor talented ones in other countries could become millionaires as well, couldn't they?
The question is, could the poor untalented ones make it?

Having studied the economy of North America, I can tell you no, they can't make it or it's very difficult for them to make it. However, in other less developed countries, they could. Now how is that possible? The only sector of the economy that could happen is trade. Anyone could make it there, talented or not. This is why I emphasized that Nigeria should protect that sector and prevent the likes of WalMart and Shoprite from keeping the poor forever poor. If not for trade, we won't have the likes of Dangote, Ibeto or Innoson.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by aljharem(m): 7:44pm On May 18, 2012
Very true. It is easier to be a millioniar in Africa countries than other developed countries fact !!!

Emerging countries having a lot of lope holes unlike already made countries.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Afam4eva(m): 7:44pm On May 18, 2012
Obiagu1:

The word "easily" is an overstatement; you just overstretched the truth. The poor talented ones in other countries could become millionaires as well, couldn't they?

Having studied the economy of North America, I can tell you no, they can't make it or it's very difficult for them to make it. However, in other less developed countries, they could. Now how is that possible? The only sector of the economy that could happen is trade. Anyone could make it there, talented or not. This is why I emphasized that Nigeria should protect that sector and prevent the likes of WalMart and Shoprite from keeping the poor forever poor.
Hmm, you made a very good point there. Take those Igbo traders in Alaba for example. If they were in a country like the US, it will be very difficult for them to become millonaires but here in Nigeria, someone just leaves a remote village in Anambra and in two years the person is driving a nice courtesy trading. Many of them are even way richer than those that attended a university.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by ektbear: 7:57pm On May 18, 2012
Errr.

I'm not making that claim. I am attempting to summarize your position and give you the chance to clarify it (hence the question mark at the end of the sentence).

The smaller the gap is, then the weaker your argument becomes. "Easily" vs. "can't" was your best case...
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by ektbear: 7:59pm On May 18, 2012
Obiagu1:

Having studied the economy of North America, I can tell you no, they can't make it or it's very difficult for them to make it. However, in other less developed countries, they could. Now how is that possible? The only sector of the economy that could happen is trade. Anyone could make it there, talented or not. This is why I emphasized that Nigeria should protect that sector and prevent the likes of WalMart and Shoprite from keeping the poor forever poor. If not for trade, we won't have the likes of Dangote, Ibeto or Innoson.

Again, you are underestimating these Dangotes, Ibetos, and Innosons. They may seem untalented to you. But they must have had something that distinguished them from their peers.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by dayokanu(m): 8:00pm On May 18, 2012
The basic needs of life is being provided in the USA for many people

Being a millionaire is a luxury that can only be catered for when you have covered the basics of life

You cant be telling someone who cant see electricity, water, good healthcare or cant feed about becoming a millionaire
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Obiagu1(m): 8:04pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Hmm, you made a very good point there. Take those Igbo traders in Alaba for example. If they were in a country like the US, it will be very difficult for them to become millonaires but here in Nigeria, someone just leaves a remote village in Anambra and in two years the person is driving a nice courtesy trading. Many of them are even way richer than those that attended a university.

You can't hear such stories in North America, never.

I discussed this with my boss when he was lamenting that he was tired of working for someone but couldn't find what else he could do. Everywhere he thought of could not give him as much money as he currently makes working. I tell you many of them are in the same situation.

I have a friend that quit his job early last year, moved back to Nigeria and he's doing pretty good. If he continues on the same slope as he is now, in 4-5 years time, he'll count his first million dollar. Whereas while in Canada, he tried everything possible including the US but hit a brick wall.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by Obiagu1(m): 8:11pm On May 18, 2012
ekt_bear:

Again, you are underestimating these Dangotes, Ibetos, and Innosons. They may seem untalented to you. But they must have had something that distinguished them from their peers.

Not at all but they are not any different from every other Joe out there that are into trading. It's unlike, let's say, Larry Page or Jay Z who undoubtedly got to where he is today from pure talent.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by PhysicsQED(m): 10:45pm On May 18, 2012
Obiagu1:

Not at all but they are not any different from every other Joe out there that are into trading. It's unlike, let's say, Larry Page or Jay Z who undoubtedly got to where he is today from pure talent.

When Jay z first started rapping, he used to rap in this funny extra extra fast style that sounded terrible and corny. Then he heard Nas's first album, was blown away, realized how silly he sounded, and switched his style up. The ability to take and adapt from the competition and exploit it for your own brand is typical of talented businessmen, but Jay Z wasn't inherently talented as a rapper or anything initially. Jay z is really more like a shrewd businessman (like those "ordinary" Joes you mentioned) in his field than somebody with an inherent talent.
Re: To Become A Millionaire In North America Is Hard! by ektbear: 10:48pm On May 18, 2012
Lol. Post a link to some of this early Jay-Z.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala For Governor Of Delta State 2015 / Democracy In Nigeria: Introducing The Fourth Arm Of Government. / Jonathan's Train Revolution Transforming Nigerian Landscape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.