Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language (53442 Views)

Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language / An Encyclopedia Of Language Learning Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by dubem3(m): 6:19pm On May 19, 2012
presido1: Kite ---------- Agu nkwo
Lion ---------- Agu odum
Cat-------------Nwa ologbo, busss grin grin
Praying mantis-----------------ngbogo
Dove------------Nduru ala
Crocodile------- Agu iyi
Spider------------Udude
milipide ---------- Ariri(esu)
centipide-----------gbakuru nwoke gbakuru nwa( If the thing bite a man he turn to a woman shocked shocked shocked na wetin dem tell us then and we beleived)[its actually cos it makes a man cry like a woman]
Bat------------Usu
Ant---------------Ahuhu
Antelope----------------Ele
Goat----------------- ewu
Ram---------------------Ewu awusa (ebune)
Rabit---------------- Oke bekee
egret----------------chekeleke( that white bed that gives white spot on the nails when wave at it)
Grasshoper-----------Ukpala or Okpoko
He Goat-------------- Mkpi
ETC

2 Likes

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by ChinenyeN(m): 6:29pm On May 19, 2012
This is an interesting topic. I've always wanted to know the difference between animal names in Ngwa/Etche axis and other areas.
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by somegirl1: 8:27pm On May 19, 2012
mouse/ rat - oke

p.s Ozodimgba sounds like a title
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by 0key: 9:03pm On May 19, 2012
tortoise~ mbe
owl~ ikwiikwi
hog~ ezhi ohia
wall gecko~ ariga
He-goat~ mkpi
locust~ igurube
stock fish~ okporoko
peacock~ torotoro
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:13pm On May 19, 2012
Owl :: ikwikwie

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:20pm On May 19, 2012
Parrot :: ichoku

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:21pm On May 19, 2012
0key: tortoise~ mbe
owl~ ikwiikwi
hog~ ezhi ohia
wall gecko~ ariga
He-goat~ mkpi
locust~ igurube
stock fish~ okporoko
peacock~ torotoro

Isn't turkey 'torotoro'?
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:29pm On May 19, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:32pm On May 19, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:34pm On May 19, 2012
Rabbit :: ewuta (definately not central)

Ram :: ebule

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:36pm On May 19, 2012
Rat :: oke

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:39pm On May 19, 2012
Scorpion :: akpi

Spider :: udide

Sheep :: aturu

[img]http://gardinergrain.ie/images/sheep3.jpg[/img]
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:44pm On May 19, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:46pm On May 19, 2012
Snake (general) :: agwo

Squirrel :: osa

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:52pm On May 19, 2012
some-girl:
mouse/ rat - oke

p.s Ozodimgba sounds like a title

LOL. Imagine seeing chief Titus Okeke the Ozodimgba I of Nnewi. grin cheesy

ChinenyeN: This is an interesting topic. I've always wanted to know the difference between animal names in Ngwa/Etche axis and other areas.

Yup. cool
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 10:00pm On May 19, 2012
Termite :: akika-mkpu (also not centralized)

Toad :: awo

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 10:13pm On May 19, 2012
Tiger :: agu (agu was extended to mean both tiger and leopard)

Turkey :: torotoro

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 10:15pm On May 19, 2012
0key: tortoise~ mbe
owl~ ikwiikwi
hog~ ezhi ohia
wall gecko~ ariga
He-goat~ mkpi
locust~ igurube
stock fish~ okporoko
peacock~ torotoro

I looked up the history of the word 'torotoro' and found out it originally meant peacock/pheasant but was extended to mean turkey. You're right. My apologies.
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 10:23pm On May 19, 2012
Vulture :: udele

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 10:27pm On May 19, 2012
Hmm? Any more?
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 1:59am On May 20, 2012
You people should stop writing what you don't know. If you're not sure, don't write it and when you're corrected, try to correct your post(s) to the right one(s) instead of confusing people.

Igbo have no name for tiger, we never had tigers in Alaigbo.
Peacock is not torotoro.
Kite is not egbe.
Alligator is not aghu.
Ant is not ijere.
Camel is not jaki.
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 2:05am On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 2:19am On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 2:23am On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 2:33am On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 2:38am On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 2:45am On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 2:47am On May 20, 2012
Obiagu1: You people should stop writing what you don't know. If you're not sure, don't write it and when you're corrected, try to correct your post(s) to the right one(s) instead of confusing people.

Igbo have no name for tiger, we never had tigers in Alaigbo.
Peacock is not torotoro.
Kite is not egbe.
Alligator is not aghu.
Ant is not ijere.
Camel is not jaki.

Why not just accept the fact that people's dialects differ. There is not a universal word for everything in Igbo. Where I come from alligator is known as aghu, kite as egbe, and ant as ijere. And I'm pretty sure the central Igbo for kite is egbe. As for camel, I purposely left it as jaki since no one came up with an alternative for it. If you want it removed, I can do so.

We never had tigers in Igboland, true, but we never had horses and we still have a name for them. Like I said earlier, agu means 'leopard' but it was extended to mean 'tiger'. In fact, agu is just a term that refers to any fierce forest-dwelling cat.

For egbe meaning kite, refer to 1:04 in this video and you will see someone refering to kite as egbe.

http://www.youtube.com/v/l7xLAfKQZBA

1 Like

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 3:03am On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 3:16am On May 20, 2012
odumchi:

Why not just accept the fact that people's dialects differ. There is not a universal word for everything in Igbo. Where I come from alligator is known as aghu, kite as egbe, and ant as ijere. And I'm pretty sure the central Igbo for kite is egbe. As for camel, I purposely left it as jaki since no one came up with an alternative for it. If you want it removed, I can do so.

We never had tigers in Igboland, true, but we never had horses and we still have a name for them. Like I said earlier, agu means 'leopard' but it was extended to mean 'tiger'. In fact, agu is just a term that refers to any fierce forest-dwelling cat.

For egbe meaning kite, refer to 1:04 in this video and you will see someone refering to kite as egbe.

http://www.youtube.com/v/l7xLAfKQZBA

I recognise that dialects differ but not when an animal is given a name that belongs to another animal.
I try to incorporate the different dialects if I know them. Alligator is found mainly in North America. Aghu/Aghi is actually a small alligator looking reptile; I can't find the name now. Just a little bigger than lizard.
Ijere is a type of ant and not a name for ants.
Camel is anyinya (there's nothing like [b]e[/b]nyinya). I don't know the name for a horse.
Calling Kite egbe by someone does not change its actual name. Kites remain Nkwo, ogankwo etc but not egbe. Egbe is bigger than kite (nkwo).

1 Like

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 3:40am On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 3:42am On May 20, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man ‘arrests’ Nsukka Deity For Making His Business Fail (photo) / Ooni Ogunwusi Renames IPOB In Umuahia / Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.