Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,972 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language (53444 Views)

Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language / An Encyclopedia Of Language Learning Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 3:44am On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by dubem3(m): 9:26am On May 20, 2012
Obiagu1:
I recognise that dialects differ but not when an animal is given a name that belongs to another animal.
I try to incorporate the different dialects if I know them. Alligator is found mainly in North America. Aghu/Aghi is actually a small alligator looking reptile; I can't find the name now. Just a little bigger than lizard.
Ijere is a type of ant and not a name for ants.
Camel is anyinya (there's nothing like [b]e[/b]nyinya). I don't know the name for a horse.
Calling Kite egbe by someone does not change its actual name. Kites remain Nkwo, ogankwo etc but not egbe. Egbe is bigger than kite (nkwo).

names of things as relates to dialect is one subject i have learnt not to argue over. If a man says 'this is what we call it', let it be so. What state are you from? Looks to me like its ANAMBRA, i've been oppurtuned to travel around the state and igbo land a little bit and believe me, within ANAMBRA state, i'll take you to a place where 'come' is not 'Bia' and where you will not here a single thing. Yet they are Igbo and Thats what they say they speak.

You may also want to know that i know horse to be 'inyinya'
i agree with you on 'aghu' learnt its tasty When roasted or smoked grin
so leave the people of Arochukwu alone.

2 Likes

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by tchaik(m): 10:26am On May 20, 2012
dubem3:

names of things as relates to dialect is one subject i have learnt not to argue over. If a man says 'this is what we call it', let it be so. What state are you from? Looks to me like its ANAMBRA, i've been oppurtuned to travel around the state and igbo land a little bit and believe me, within ANAMBRA state, i'll take you to a place where 'come' is not 'Bia' and where you will not here a single thing. Yet they are Igbo and Thats what they say they speak.

But no matter the dialect, we can still understand each oda. I'm from Anambra, and I perfectly understand where you are coming from!!!
You are correct about 'aghu'; there is a place I do eat it in Abuja, very sweet to say the least! grin grin grin
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:10pm On May 20, 2012
Chameleon=ogwumagana
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:30pm On May 20, 2012
dubem3:

Inyinya is horse but i disagree with the part that Anambra towns doesnt understand each other! I strongly challenge you to name that town or close this case cos you obviously has little knowledge of Anambra groups unless if you are talking about the tiny Igalla village in northern Anambra. All Anambra dialects are intelligible amongst all the groups so I will advice you travel further.
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:38pm On May 20, 2012
Rattle snake = Agwo ewu·········am not very sure tho.
Anybody knows what is "nza" and "Obu" (they are birds)
Odogwu ozalla=
Ozodimgba I think is Ape
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 8:24pm On May 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Rattle snake = Agwo ewu·········am not very sure tho.
Odogwu ozalla=
Ozodimgba I think is Ape

LMAO! I've been searching for their English names and pictures for a day now. cool

Another one is woodpecker, seems it's called nnunu nkpompo
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 8:40pm On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:41pm On May 20, 2012
I really need to buy an Igbo dictionary; anybody knows where I can get one ?
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 8:43pm On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:47pm On May 20, 2012
Ichoku=parrot
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:51pm On May 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Ichoku=parrot

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 8:57pm On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by tchaik(m): 8:57pm On May 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Rattle snake = Agwo ewu·········am not very sure tho.
Odogwu ozalla=
Ozodimgba I think is Ape
Odogwu ozalla is nickname for Scorpion(akpi)
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:57pm On May 20, 2012
Tiger=odum
Lion=Agu
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 8:58pm On May 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: I really need to buy an Igbo dictionary; anybody knows where I can get one ?

I found this dictionary somewhere online: http://books.google.com/books?id=8JDg94vBNLcC&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=osu+bat+igbo&source=bl&ots=EsusrgPe8X&sig=JizZBHFQh8S-c1DB3kLwpW0l3W4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6Iu2T9zFDaGt6AGA2oXHCg&ved=0CFQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Although it's only a demo, it can still be useful. If you live in the US, you can buy a dictionary in any online bookstore like Barnes & Nobles or Amazon.com.

dubem3:

You're correct my brother. You guys are also right regarding aghu which is actually a small relative of the crocodile. I usually associate it with alligator, but I've admitted my mistake. I think the closest comparison to aghu would be a caiman (which only exists in the Americas).

@Obiagu
Thanks for your pictures, they're greatly appreciated. Let's drop this argument of animal names, we should never argue over Igbo dialects.

1 Like

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 8:59pm On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:00pm On May 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Tiger=odum
Lion=Agu

Doesn't the phrase odum n'egbu agu contradict that?
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 9:02pm On May 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Tiger=odum
Lion=Agu

I think it's wrong. Anyway, odum and agu pictures have been posted.
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:04pm On May 20, 2012
tchaik:
Odogwu ozalla is nickname for Scorpion(akpi)

I appreciate the help but is odogwu ozalla and akpi the same thing ?

1 Like

Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 9:05pm On May 20, 2012
Who knows the name of apia, a type of grasshoper?
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:06pm On May 20, 2012
Obiagu1:

I think it's wrong. Anyway, odum and agu pictures have been posted.
odumchi:

Doesn't the term odum n'egbu agu contradict that?

Okay,correction taken.
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:08pm On May 20, 2012
[quote author=Obiagu1]Who knows the name of apia, a type of i

Isnt "apia" a bird ?
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 9:09pm On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by tchaik(m): 9:11pm On May 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

I appreciate the help but is odogwu ozalla and akpi the same thing ?
Sure! My grandma just comfirmed it!
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 9:21pm On May 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Isnt "apia" a bird ?

No, a type of grasshoper. It makes a unique noise while flying and it's green in colour.
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 9:35pm On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 9:38pm On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 9:39pm On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 9:48pm On May 20, 2012
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by odumchi: 9:57pm On May 20, 2012
Obiagu1: Periwinkle :: Isam

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw9VIbSkjXZzYxDa_2btQiSgGwYAR7oHqraP-q4KJGLn-1Lw3O[/img]

Funny thing about this is that at my place, we call this 'isam' just like our Ibibio neighbors. I always thought that other Igbo people called it 'mfi' and that 'isam' was an Ibibio loan word.

I'm astonished to find out that our people call it the same thing.
Re: An Encyclopedia Of Animals In Igbo Language by Obiagu1(m): 10:03pm On May 20, 2012
Stag :: Atu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man ‘arrests’ Nsukka Deity For Making His Business Fail (photo) / Ooni Ogunwusi Renames IPOB In Umuahia / Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.