Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria (4067 Views)

The 10 Countries With The Fastest Internet In The World / The Most Popular Websites In Nigeria, 2013 / Most Visited Websites In Nigeria, November 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by Drlumi: 12:59pm On May 19, 2012
Based on Alexa rankings, they are:

-Vanguard
-Nairaland
-Jobberman
-VConnect
-GTBank
-Punch
-Naijapals
-Dealfish
-Sahara Reporters
-The Nation

How did each of these websites become popular? Read short but comprehensive reviews of each website's strategies on [url="http://kudizone.com/blog/2012/05/18/nigerias-10-most-popular-websites/"]Kudizone[/url]. This is a MUST READ for every webmaster who needs to generate traffic!

http://kudizone.com/blog/2012/05/18/nigerias-10-most-popular-websites/
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by Drlumi: 2:03am On May 20, 2012
This, for instance, is the comment on Nairaland (Nigeria's second most popular website):

Nairaland is a big discussion forum for Nigerians. Popular boards are politics, finance, technology and religion. With almost 900, 000 members, many view Nairaland as Nigeria’s Facebook.

Nairaland originally ran on SMF, a free forum Content Management System. It is owned by Seun Osewa, a young Nigerian who resides in Ogun State.

Why is Nairaland Popular?

Nairaland’s traffic is due partly to many reasons:

Interactivity: Being a forum, it allows members to interact with one other. This makes it an interesting place to visit.

Content: Nairaland features fresh user submitted content. This is further enhanced by the ‘homepage’ system in which a list of topics of interest is displayed. It helps members to find the most interesting threads fast.

Age: Nairaland enjoys the dividends of being one of the first major Nigerian forums. It gained popularity at a time when competition was not so stiff.

Mobile: With the new Nairaland template, the mobile version has been improved upon. It is particularly nice to view on a Blackberry phone. Considering that Nigeria has one of the highest percentages of mobile viewers, this is a major advantage.

The founder, Seun, has often been criticized for not adapting the forum to changes necessitated by the times. Many have also argued that Nairaland got on social media very late. It should be noted though that a new design has finally been implemented. Also, a few analysts (including me) believe that one of the reasons why Nairaland has lasted so long is Seun’s refusal to make frequent changes.

http://kudizone.com/blog/2012/05/18/nigerias-10-most-popular-websites/2/
Do you agree? Post your comments below.
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by yamakuza: 9:19am On May 20, 2012
I'm impressed/surprised that vconnect made that list.

They are barely a year old, no?
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by Drlumi: 12:57pm On May 20, 2012
yamakuza: I'm impressed/surprised that vconnect made that list.

They are barely a year old, no?

Yes. Just a little more than a year. Funding played a key role.
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by Peterson1993(m): 9:27pm On May 20, 2012
Lol am quite surprised that am not seeing linda ikeji blog on that list dispite the overwhelming popularity.. The site with the best design on the list, i think it's undisputably www.naijapals.com. The webmaster behind the site is a genius... I dont really see nairaland holding on to that spot for long... The day we finish reading the whole articles on nairaland, i doubt if anyone would like visiting nairaland.. Nairaland should make changes and add features such as chatrooms. And am yet to find a pm button on nairaland or maybe it has been hidden just like "this post is hidden" flooding everywhere.
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by guru01(m): 9:51pm On May 20, 2012
I think you should also add iPaidabribenaija.com.
They are more popular than any website even nl.
Ask how?
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by green10119(m): 8:47pm On May 21, 2012
Hmmm while other are busy working for organic traffic other are busy buying traffic, na waiting we go come do naa ? should we go to the banks to request for the money lol maybe buy traffic and when we are very popular we can pay back ? just asking lol but i wonder what those top site eg dealfish has to offer ? just asking smiley
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by zangiff(m): 11:03pm On May 21, 2012
good work from those guys,i need to do serious work on ma site too.
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by olicgad: 11:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
www.sugaonline.com A webhosting forum owned by a nigerian should have make this list
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by maekhel(m): 6:27am On Sep 26, 2014
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by Joshua8694(m): 7:41am On Sep 26, 2014
Are you okay?why did you not add www.jaystar.tk
Re: The 10 Most Popular Websites In Nigeria by sharperino(m): 5:14pm On Sep 26, 2014
The sites on the list above including linda ikeji blog still command a huge amount of popularity.

There are also a few sites coming up strongly and should be in same category as those on the above list sooner than later if well piloted.

(1) (Reply)

A Nigerian mobile/desktop Local Weather Site [weather9ja.com] / How To Build A Livescore Website / Do You Need A Website Or Software For Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.