Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census (13387 Views)

Poll: What is your ethnicity?

Hausa: 0% (0 votes)
Nupe: 0% (0 votes)
Ibibio/Efik/Annang: 0% (0 votes)
Ijaw: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Hausa: 4% (28 votes)
Nupe: 2% (18 votes)
Igbo: 44% (282 votes)
Yoruba: 45% (289 votes)
Fulani: 1% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Ibibio/Efik/Annang: 26% (31 votes)
Igala: 7% (9 votes)
Idoma: 17% (20 votes)
Bini: 34% (40 votes)
Itsekiri: 13% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

Urhobo: 25% (21 votes)
Isoko: 16% (14 votes)
Ijaw: 31% (26 votes)
Kanuri: 9% (8 votes)
Itsekiri: 16% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Tiv: 26% (14 votes)
Isan: 30% (16 votes)
Jukun: 9% (5 votes)
Ebira: 18% (10 votes)
Gwari: 15% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Nairaland Ethnic Census, What Tribe Are You From. / NAIRALAND 2013 Ethnic Census / Analysis Of Nigerian 2006 Census Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 8:09pm On May 20, 2012
The FG of Nairaland would like to know the population of its peoples inorder to properly allocate funds and services to the appropriate LGAs and states. Vote, and let your people be counted!

Lol, on a serious note, this is only for research and documentation purposes. I'm currently carrying out a study here on Nairaland and would appreciate it if everyone kindly voted and indicated their ethnicity. I'll try and add as many ethnicities as possible, and once again, I apologize if your people are not listed. cool

If your parents are of different ethnicites, kindly choose one. The link to last year's successful census can be found here: https://www.nairaland.com/725814/nairaland-2011-ethnic-census

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Areosapien(f): 8:44pm On May 20, 2012
Why is there no "NURTW" on your list?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Afam4eva(m): 8:46pm On May 20, 2012
Are those the only ethnic groups in Nigeria? Please let's add some more especially those that have more than a million people.

Push this thread to the homepage.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 9:07pm On May 20, 2012
afam4eva: Are those the only ethnic groups in Nigeria? Please let's add some more especially those that have more than a million people.

Push this thread to the homepage.

It would be nice if you suggested some.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 9:07pm On May 20, 2012
Areosapien: Why is there no "NURTW" on your list?

What is "NURTW"?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by AndreUweh(m): 9:13pm On May 20, 2012
The Igbo and Yoruba constitute 65% of nairaland.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by egift(m): 9:19pm On May 20, 2012
If the FG of NL need such data, they should add it on profile field and make it mandatory and ask members to go update their profiles.

You guys should stop dividing this Nation. If I say something now all the sycophants will come out in their numbers to hurl insults. But you guys should stop it.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 9:21pm On May 20, 2012
egift: If the FG of NL need such data, they should add it on profile field and make it mandatory and ask members to go update their profiles.

You guys should stop dividing this Nation. If I say something now all the sycophants will come out in their numbers to hurl insults. But you guys should stop it.

So knowing one's ethnicity is now dividing the country? na wa o.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 9:25pm On May 20, 2012
Nice, interesting post.

Another thing I wish Seun would do is to make his "friend" graph publicly available.

There are some interesting things you can do, Facebook-style with it, I think...would be fun to play around with.

Anyway, at topic...obviously Yoruba. In fact, your favorite Yoruba's favorite Yoruba grin
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 9:31pm On May 20, 2012
ekt_bear: Nice, interesting post.

Another thing I wish Seun would do is to make his "friend" graph publicly available.

There are some interesting things you can do, Facebook-style with it, I think...would be fun to play around with.

Anyway, at topic...obviously Yoruba. In fact, your favorite Yoruba's favorite Yoruba grin

Funny. cheesy

What friend graph are you speaking of?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Afam4eva(m): 9:38pm On May 20, 2012
odumchi:

It would be nice if you suggested some.
Add the following:

Ogoni
Isoko
Itshekiri
TIV

Will be back with more.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 9:43pm On May 20, 2012
afam4eva:
Add the following:

Ogoni
Isoko
Itshekiri
TIV

Will be back with more.

They're all there except for the Ogoni.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Afam4eva(m): 9:50pm On May 20, 2012
egift: If the FG of NL need such data, they should add it on profile field and make it mandatory and ask members to go update their profiles.

Dude, how's conducting an ethnic census causing division? Na waoo.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by egift(m): 9:59pm On May 20, 2012
afam4eva:
Dude, how's conducting an ethnic census causing division? Na waoo.

Ethic issues are getting much here for my liking. I also think suggesting this as a profile feature, letting members update their profile - should be better and more useful than casting a vote above.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 10:26pm On May 20, 2012
More votes!
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Bontee: 12:24am On May 21, 2012
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Beaf: 12:31am On May 21, 2012
odumchi:

What is "NURTW"?

It is a tribe of people like egift, na_joke, Ileke Idi, alj haram, bluetooth, Eko Ile, Gbawe, demdem, oyb... You know the drill! grin

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 1:42am On May 21, 2012
Beaf:

It is a tribe of people like egift, na_joke, Ileke Idi, alj haram, bluetooth, Eko Ile, Gbawe, demdem, oyb... You know the drill! grin

Lol, I see...
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by CyberG: 1:47am On May 21, 2012
Tribalism and divisionism instead of Nigerians to see themselves as that, they spend all their time on worthless pursuits like this one.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 1:52am On May 21, 2012
CyberG: Tribalism and divisionism instead of Nigerians to see themselves as that, they spend all their time on worthless pursuits like this one.

It's unfortunate that learning of one's numbers and the variety present on this site is percieved as "tribalism".
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 2:13am On May 21, 2012
How many times are we going to have this census?

1. Mostly only ppl in politics will vote

2. Only people presently on NL that period will vote.

3. We hav ppl with multiple IDs

Not relly substantial when determining NL's ethnic populace.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 2:14am On May 21, 2012
Beaf:

If I was to properly reply to this ediot, he'll start crying about some "Ileke-IdI likes me" fantasy. I can't stand cowardly men, tbh.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by egift(m): 2:26am On May 21, 2012
@odumchi and Uncooked Kanda:
When I first saw this thread, I knew it was useless. But when Afam commented, I decided to cut both of you some slack. But obviously, it is dead on arrival.

@All:
Sadly just like anything Beaf and his gang are doing; its good on paper but painful to even watch. Here are the facts before you go nuclear:
1. Odum claim its official (its not)
2. Nigeria have over 300 ethnic, but the poll they are putting up there is taking 5 at a time (they already have 5 polls = 25 ethnic groups). And its not there at the same time. So the are going to have 300/5 = 60 opinion polls grin - Also Note that each poll is 100%. Meaning the percentage of the poll is by 6,000% grin
3. Its only those that visit Politics section can participate. Even if you push this rubbish to the Homepage still a little proportion will see it. Yet they want to brag about their tribalism and segregation (It seems this is Jonathan's theme for the month).

Solution:
All they have to do is make a Feature Request to Oga Seun, it will be considered on its merit like every other. If approved, on the profile and registration page, a field will be added to and every member can be encouraged to update their profile. All will be ok.

Conclusion:
Since Kpomo is always fast at hauling insults especially to our Northern brothers, by virtue of No. 2 above and his support for this garbage I recommend that Beaf should enroll into the nearest Almajiri school and take some time off the consumption of the adulterated Fresh Air gushing out from Jona.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 2:29am On May 21, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
How many times are we going to have this census?

1. Mostly only ppl in politics will vote

2. Only people presently on NL that period will vote.

3. We hav ppl with multiple IDs

Not relly substantial when determining NL's ethnic populace.

This is meant to give us a rough estimate of the various ethnicites on Nairaland not an exact number so multiple IDs will definately not be a hindrance. The poll is set to run for 2 weeks and if this thread gets on the front page, it would be open to all Nairalanders not only politics section frequenters.

Last year's census was pretty succesful amid all of these factors so I don't see why this years can't be too.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 2:41am On May 21, 2012
egift: @odumchi and Uncooked Kanda:
When I first saw this thread, I knew it was useless. But when Afam commented, I decided to cut both of you some slack. But obviously, it is dead on arrival.

@All:
Sadly just like anything Beaf and his gang are doing; its good on paper but painful to even watch. Here are the facts before you go nuclear:
1. Odum claim its official (its not)
2. Nigeria have over 300 ethnic, but the poll they are putting up there is taking 5 at a time (they already have 5 polls = 25 ethnic groups). And its not there at the same time. So the are going to have 300/5 = 60 opinion polls grin - Also Note that each poll is 100%. Meaning the percentage of the poll is by 6,000% grin
3. Its only those that visit Politics section can participate. Even if you push this rubbish to the Homepage still a little proportion will see it. Yet they want to brag about their tribalism and segregation (It seems this is Jonathan's theme for the month)

I think its obvious that the results of the different polls will be averaged together. Besides, it's not practical to list every ethnicity. Only those with populations upwards of 1 million were listed.

Solution:
All they have to do is make a Feature Request to Oga Seun, it will be considered on its merit like every other. If approved, on the profile and registration page, a field will be added to and every member can be encouraged to update their profile. All will be ok.

Conclusion:
Since Kpomo is always fast at hauling insults especially to our Northern brothers, by virtue of No. 2 above and his support for this garbage I recommend that Beaf should enroll into the nearest Almajiri school and take some time off the consumption of the adulterated Fresh Air gushing out from Jona.

Nice suggestion but this isn't necessary. This is only for research purposes, like I stated earlier. Requiring people to identify their ethnicity in their profiles is not necessary. Threads like this allow us to see demographic patterns and to analyze whether sites like this reflect truly Nigeria (demographically).

I don't see anything "tribalistic" or bad about things like this. Its too bad that we cannot engage in ethnic studies or matters without pulling out the "tribalist card". Attitudes like that are what set us back.

I believe that people need to embrace our diversity rather than ignore it. We are what we are for a reason.

So far, I have yet to see anyone do or say anything "tribalistic" on this thread; you are the only one bringing that up. However, of course, it can only be "tribalistic" if you want it to be.

More votes!
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Nobody: 6:24am On May 21, 2012
Ijaw Proud!smiley best believe I Voted!smiley
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 12:17pm On May 21, 2012
krystabella28: Ijaw Proud!smiley best believe I Voted!smiley

That's the spirit!

More votes grin
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Ejine(m): 12:33pm On May 21, 2012
@OP

I clicked "Igbo" first (because my father's from there), and then clicked "Isan" second (because my mother's from there).

That's how it's done, right? smiley
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Ejine(m): 12:38pm On May 21, 2012
But, IMHO, I think this should be done according to geopolitical zones. Then we shall see say na SS truly plenty pass you local champions when it comes to internet presence cool
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by BlackBaron: 12:57pm On May 21, 2012
krystabella28: Ijaw Proud!smiley best believe I Voted!smiley

I thought you were Non-Nigerian, now you've become an Ijaw
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Bontee: 2:36pm On May 21, 2012
Some people will still not vote in order to hide their ethnicity.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Afanna1: 3:08pm On May 21, 2012
Ejiné: @OP

I clicked "Igbo" first (because my father's from there), and then clicked "Esan(ishan)." second (because my mother's from there).

That's how it's done, right? smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

ACN & CPC Merger - We'll Finish PDP In 2015 / Re: Kashamu Sponsors Bill On Mental Health / INEC Schedules Rerun In Rivers, Imo, Kogi, Kano For July 23 & 30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.