Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (96854 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by Kommentato(m): 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2010
SCYLLA:

It was crazy as I missed my flight to abuja(thanks to pdp Convention) then had to take the one for the day I was writing my exam, I managed to reach there 30 mins to my exam time and heard the silly serverĀ  crashed and a workstation was converted to the server needless to say I did not start until 4 hours later and it was apparent I would miss my evening flight back out of Abuja and I spent the time trying to get Aero to rebook my flight, I was mentally physically and emotionally exhausted when I started the exam. So my advice to you, make sure you get to your exam center way way before the time and remain relaxed if you can.

Finally wrote my GRE and got 1220, 700Q and 520V. I hope this would be enough to get something good, but for now I am graduating from this thread to the schools and admission thread. I wish the rest of you luck.

Cheers.

Great Quant score bro, I've been trying to download powerprep from the internet but to no avail. Do you know of any website where I can get it from?

Thanks.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 7:57pm On Sep 22, 2010
Kommentato:

Great Quant score bro, I've been trying to download powerprep from the internet but to no avail. Do you know of any website where I can get it from?

Thanks.

Thanks man, I think you can only get it on ETS's website and for some reason it messes up sometimes. Just keep trying and make sure you take nothing for granted.
Re: Preparing for GRE by trutuk: 8:48pm On Sep 22, 2010
is it possible for someone to prepare for gre in 3 weeks and make good score??
Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 8:23pm On Sep 23, 2010
I sored 790-quantitative and 560-verbal and didnt give myself a pat cos i should have done better. For an engineer, anything below 700 in quantitative is just not acceptable, so 700 is an average score
Re: Preparing for GRE by seuncaroline: 8:53pm On Sep 23, 2010
2good:

I sored 790-quantitative and 560-verbal and didnt give myself a pat cos i should have done better. For an engineer, anything below 700 in quantitative is just not acceptable, so 700 is an average score
@2good,
wow, thats a great score and people like you shud gather offers from US schs, yet you choose TU Delft. Was the NPF funding d motivation or what other factors did u consider b4 making ur decision?
I did a Q740/V580 but prepared with just 3weeks. I am already on the TU Delft/NPF app but i need ur guidance if u dont mind, whats ur yahoo email ad so we can chat? mine is seuncaroline at yahoo dot com, i am online now and waiting for you, thanks for replying to my post.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Kommentato(m): 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2010
So glad I've been able to download ETS powerprep off the internet.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2010
I'm writing the GMAT and possibly the GRE in November for the fall 2011 season. Does anyone know a decent site where I can get download quality materials?
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 10:46am On Oct 18, 2010
Horayce:

I'm writing the GMAT and possibly the GRE in November for the fall 2011 season. Does anyone know a decent site where I can get download quality materials?

Read thru the thread n you'd answer urself.
u cud chk 4shared and other filehosting servers. google name of ebook, spacebar then 4shared (or rapidshare as the case may be).
success.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 5:34pm On Oct 26, 2010
@ bebure, you've got mail! Expecting your reply.

@ sefago, please send me your email add. Mine is superbrainnl[at]gmail.com. I need some advice.
Re: Preparing for GRE by oolu(m): 5:07pm On Oct 31, 2010
Had 780 in maths and 670 in verbal. Not proud of my maths score. Could also av done beta in verbal, i was 2 slow. Didn't finish.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 5:24pm On Nov 04, 2010
@ oolu, your scores are great. Though a perfect score on the Quant would have been better. I did my first GRE in December 2009. My scores weren't so impressive so I'm giving it another shot in February or March next year. Good job bro.
Re: Preparing for GRE by thebighead: 8:56am On Nov 05, 2010
Haba! I've made a post twice now and everytime I come to check its no longer there. What is going on naa?
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 8:21pm On Nov 06, 2010
thebighead:

Haba! I've made a post twice now and everytime I come to check its no longer there. What is going on naa?
nl is messing up big time, i ve been discouraged too.
Re: Preparing for GRE by ican1: 9:11pm On Nov 07, 2010
Hi every1, i have spent the last 6 hrs going througn study abroad section of this forum and i must confess that it has been a great wsource of information.

Now to what brought me to this forum.

I studied metallurgical engineering in a Nigerian Sch, i DIDNT make a 1st class but made +4 on a 5 scale.

I have been working for 2yrs now in an indigenous energy company as mechanical engineer

Having learnt much about the oil industry, i have decided to do a post graduate program.

I have never bought d idea of a US sch until now because am always afraid that i may not be able to afford it.

Also i cannot quit work and spend my hard earned saving in d UK since a job is not guaranteed after completion of studies.

So i decided to commence a distance learning programme (MSC Petroleum Engineering at Heriot Watt University, UK)

This is costing me close to 2million and will take nothing less than 18months to complete.

I now have the Heriot Watt admission though i havent made any serious finaancial commitment.

On a second thought, i feel i shud consider doing GRE and TOEFL and apply to Top US schools for Pet Engineering though i am aware that i need to blast d GRE and TOEFL.

JIf u were in my shoe, what wud u do, will u consider completing d DL hoping it will play a role in gaining admission to top US Pet Eng Schools considering that i am changing profession.

Or just bone the Heriot DL and save all d cash for a US Pet School even if i dont have to attend d very big names owning to my existing discipline.

Please help.

Regrds
Re: Preparing for GRE by thebighead: 11:32pm On Nov 07, 2010
@i-can: My question is what do you want a higher degree for? Truth is its a noble aspiration but if not well thought out, could do your career more harm than good. If you want to go into academia now a higher degree is definitely the way to go. In fact I suggest you take the GRE and TOEFL because as far as I know, you cannot do a PhD distance. But if you want to go in later, you may want to go with the Heriot-Watt option so you don't lose your job. And if you don't want to go into academics, then you have to really should be sure a degree will give your career a boost (some employers don't send higher degrees) otherwise, you might just want to buy yourself a nice Toyota Yaris with that money.

Whatever the case, decide fast because the GRE takes time to prepare for and some more time for the scores to get to the schools. In the meantime, many school deadlines are drawing close quickly.

Now, where was I on that ETHZ pre-proposal
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 11:40pm On Nov 07, 2010
@bighead
dont try posting it again, it's the spambot. . .posting it multiple times could earn you a ban. . .chill for the moderator to untag the posts
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 11:42pm On Nov 07, 2010
also, can you give me a link to the stuff you used for your verbal? the audio recordings especially
Re: Preparing for GRE by thebighead: 11:48pm On Nov 07, 2010
Thank netotse. I was about posting again. Meanwhile, I downloaded them from esnips.com. Search for GRE audio or GRE barrons. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact search terms but if you have any difficulty finding them let me know so I can look myself. They should be mp3 files so you don't download viruses.
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 11:53pm On Nov 07, 2010
@bighead. . .
thanks, will do. . .reported your posts to the moderators, let's see what happens by tomorrow they should be untagged by then.

as per your question, i think applying now will be in your favour, well before the deadline starts drawing near.
Re: Preparing for GRE by thebighead: 12:08am On Nov 08, 2010
How do I go about reporting the issue myself if it ever happens again. And about applying, I know should should apply now, yesterday or even last week. However, when can I stop considering an application as early? Next week? The first week of december When do you think?
Re: Preparing for GRE by ican1: 1:32am On Nov 08, 2010
@bighead thanks for the post.

Why do i want to advance my degree?

I currently work in the petroleum industry and to some extent feel i am missing something considering the fact that i dont have a degree in core engineering (Mech,Elec,Petr) eventhough i did most advanced mech courses as elective in sch (just exposed myself to those mech boys back at sch who will ensure their deptal exams dont clash with mine for my sake). I work perfectly as a Mech Engr but needs to really do a major MSc to remedy any deficiency. It will do me no good to do a PG in Mech thus Petroleum is the only way out.

Recently, one of the oil multinationals in naija kept me on a waiting list after scaling tru all their employment stages (i feel this might have something to do with my degree)

So my quest for inetrnational graduate degree is genuine (i trully dont need a PHD except i need to consider that for RA and TA purpose which i will drop upon completion of MS).

Who says i dont want quality life as well? so if i can make it to houston or texas and get employed after schooling, why wont i consider that option.

To cut d story short, i need a graduate degree for
(1) remedy my descipline to be more relevant in my present industry
(2) gain international work experience (even if na internship)
(3) Opportunity to live and work outside this dark country (if possible)
Re: Preparing for GRE by thebighead: 8:09am On Nov 08, 2010
@i-can: I might sound like I'm trying to discourage you but I just want you sure and confident of your choices so that if the going ever gets tough you will be consoled by the fact that you went into this after considering all the possible issues.

I will address each of your reasons. About feeling deficient, kindly ask your mech/PE co-workers how much of what they learnt in school they are currently applying. I doubt that it will be very much because this is the case in many industries. And about that waiting list, your inference is only one possibility; HR departments are one of the greatest mysteries in the country (might partly be due to the level of corruption). I doubt that your degree will put you on a waiting list.

About international experience, that is a valid reason. But before you take up PhD with the hope to drop halfway be sure that they will agree to award the MSc if you don't go all the way. And there are american schools that offer TA and RA positions to MSc students especially the public schools including UIUC, Penn State and TAMU

About your last reason, note that I am vehemently patriotic and I don't see why anyone will want to 'run' away to another man's country that he has fixed. Who will then fix naija biko?

Cheers
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 7:49pm On Dec 15, 2010
Hey guys, why the hiatus? Is everyone tired?
Pls let the comments and the news keep flowing, i guess you are not aware of how much your comments are tremoendously benefitting a bunch of ambitious people (lurkers) out there. I am an example.

I just received an offer of admission to TU Delft to study petroleum engineering and geosciences. I got the information from this group and I applied and now I have something to show for it. Thanks guys. cheesy

But I still need more (esp from 2good and other Delft guys). I need to get a full scholarship wink. I haven't got any professional work experience in petroleum engineering, so I don't think the NFP is for me. What do you think my chances are for clinching some other forms of scholarships there? what do you think I should start doing now?

Hope to hear from u soon.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 10:58pm On Dec 15, 2010
@tabarity: Lucky you. I wrote my TOEFL late and applied really late so I just got notified of their receipt of my application materials. I should be receiving my decision in 8 weeks. My fingers are super-crossed. When did you apply? Which other programs did you apply to?
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 1:20am On Dec 16, 2010
^^Got a confirmation of receipt of docs early November. I will be applying to TAMU and Colorado Mines (USA). What about you?
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 7:19am On Dec 16, 2010
I applied to quite a number of schools including MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Harvard, Caltech, UPenn, Penn State, Johns Hopkins, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison and Columbia. Yes, I know; that's a lot and I'm super-broke now. However, I applied to just 3 schools last year (MIT, Cambridge and Oxford) and got rejections from all 3 so this year I decided to give the effort all I've got. I really hope I don't get 12 rejections . So I assume you have written your GRE and TOEFL abi? What's holding up your TAMU and CSM applications? I understand that the earlier, the better.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.