Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (96958 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 11:45am On Jan 18, 2011
VPersiee:

@SEFAGO

Waiting for more advise and expatiation. Are you also doing a PhD? Did you do your undergrad in America? What, in retrospect, will you have done when you applied to make yourself a better candidate?

Yes,
It'd help alot to go tru all the thread!
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 12:00pm On Jan 18, 2011
I presently have a 3.8 and will probably have a 3.9 at the end of the last semester before I apply to graduate school. My GRE scores are Q:800, V:750, W:5. The problem is I go to a very small, perhaps inferior, school. My school is a 3-tier school according to USNWR. In fact we have little to no research opportunities. I attended a summer research experience last summer and will do one more before I apply to grad school. I will also complete and Honors Thesis and do some research with a professor at a nearby better school. What schools should I consider safeties? I really like MIT. What are my chances for MIT, Stanford, OSU, UC Berkely, Penn State, CMU, UT Austin?

Busy now, but will try and remark. but yeah i did, I think u will likely get into MIT or UT Austin IMO but if you are international be careful about berkeley though- money no dey for california again ooh, yawa don burst. And berkeely is very stringent for international students. Keep doing research- dont worry, and consider some safeties.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 11:04am On Jan 19, 2011
SEFAGO:

Busy now, but will try and remark. but yeah i did, I think u will likely get into MIT or UT Austin IMO but if you are international be careful about berkeley though- money no dey for california again ooh, yawa don burst. And berkeely is very stringent for international students. Keep doing research- dont worry, and consider some safeties.

Always Busy!, Where and at what? Ph.D I guess.
Few minutes of your time to advise & help ur fellow 9ja bro nor go do you harm!
Abeg no quarrel meant!
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 4:58pm On Jan 19, 2011
myforumid3:

Always Busy!, Where and at what? Ph.D I guess.
Few minutes of your time to advise & help your fellow 9ja bro nor go do you harm!
Abeg no quarrel meant!

ha bros wetin now tongue, I really want to help but i have to finish some stuff quickly. You guys will not be applying until next year anyways and there is not much I can do. However, I think I have given as much tips as I can. If you guys have additional questions, I will try my best later. However, I have been learning more about the admission process, and I have discovered that yes, Princeton and Stanford might be more lenient to Nigerians than other schools

What, in retrospect, will you have done when you applied to make yourself a better candidate?

1. Research. I wish I had jumped into research early. Instead, I took tons of difficult classes and useless classes. Was studying economics for a while then jumped to mathematics, then physics before I became more focussed.
2. Published a paper. I wish I had written at least a review research paper or something. The biggest mistake I ever made was not trying to get published before I applied for a PhD although publications are rare. Comparing two applicants with the same stats- a publication can make a difference.
3. Developing more relationships with my professors. Wish I had discussed my aspirations with them earlier.
4. Contacting professors before I applied. It works a lot for the sciences and engineering though not all the time.
5. Had decided to do a PhD earlier, probably right before I entered university. I would have strived to get better grades. My first year was a string of B+ and a couple of As because i tried to do the impossible, and take the toughest courseload possible. I got over 3.8+ in my last two years which saved me a bit. However, i think some schools saw that I was a hard worker anyways and were impressed with my dedication and ability to work like a dog.

Good things I did:
1. Tailored my SOP for each program I applied to. I made my SOP fit the school program, and mentioned how my previous background had prepared me to fit into the school and particular research groups.
2. Did decently in the GRE. Although I knew this exam would be useless for me, I studied for it for a month (While watch Naruto tongue) instead of studying the day before like most of my friends lol.
3. Being a perfectionist. I am very anal and kind of like everything I do to be perfect- projects, assignments have to be 100% on point, and I would work for hours until its done. Same way I deal with my applications.
4. Took graduate level classes and topped the classes. I took what was reputed to be the hardest class in my field, and made sure I got the best grade in a class of PhD students.

To me though you look good on paper, you are writing a honors thesis and doing some research that is good. I am sure you are worried about your undergrad, but while undergrad matters, its not as significant as experience and test scores. Your test scores show you are smart- even if you dont make MIT, you will find somewhere that you like. Life goes on without MIT. However if you get published in somewhere like Nature grin you are good to go even if you attend the worst university in the world

I cannot comment on safeties because I dont know much about the difficulty of engineering. However engineering is not as hard as a hard science program from what I have gathered
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 9:50am On Jan 20, 2011
Hi Peoples,

My TU Delft admission email came in today. No Huygens nomination though sad . We now await the TU Delft scholarships. Fingers crossed.

@tabarity: Did you get nominated for Huygens? Any further communication with the school?
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 10:51am On Jan 20, 2011
cezeozue:

Hi Peoples,

My TU Delft admission email came in today. No Huygens nomination though sad . We now await the TU Delft scholarships. Fingers crossed.

@tabarity: Did you get nominated for Huygens? Any further communication with the school?
Congrats, Hope you ve confirmed ur admission! TUD is one option for us and a great one too.
I didnt get nomination and I doubt if tabarity got it. Hopefully we'd get TUD Scholarship and I pray its full Scholarship else, US offers may take up its place.
I and tabarity are already in contact, So join the TUD family here-u,tabarity and me.
write me on ghummer365@gmail.com and I shall reply you with ma real mail.ok
Re: Preparing for GRE by Kommentato(m): 8:46pm On Jan 22, 2011
cezeozue:

About application fee payment, Visa from Zenith (both from the Cash Domiciliary account and Buxz) sufficed for most schools but for the schools on the Applyweb network (MIT, Stanford, Princeton, ETH Zurich etc), the Visa cards did not work. In fact, I had to transfer money to a cousin in the US (I paid $50 in charges for that) to help out with the Applyweb schools.

Another one that stressed me was TU Delft (I applied after November 1 and was required to pay the fees). Unfortunately, they required that I transfer the money to a bank account in the Netherlands, I tried bank transfer from GTB but they said they weren't transferring euros at the time. I then looked at a couple of online services (Xoom, Mukuru) and tried Mukuru. After wasting my time, Mukuru refused to effect the payment. They had issues with me using a prepaid card and refunded my money shortly after. Any more ideas anyone?

My friend had 800 in his GRE Quantitative and 780 in his GRE verbal. He also has a 2.1 (with a very high GPA) from UNN.

Please I'll like to know how you sent in your transcripts to the institutions you applied to in US, since I'm also planning to apply to more schools, did you make use of Post Office or courier services.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 11:42pm On Jan 22, 2011
Please I'll like to know how you sent in your transcripts to the institutions you applied to in US, since I'm also planning to apply to more schools, did you make use of Post Office or courier services.

I wasn't under strict timelines at the time I sent them so I used post office for them all.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 2:03am On Jan 23, 2011
cezeozue:

Hi Peoples,

Hey cezeozue,
I wasn't nominated o. Guess those whizkids from india and china who already had 10 publications before age 22 might have taken all the HSP nominations. I can now only pray I get one of the other forms of scholarships. I still think you would have been nominated for HSP (with your profile) had you completed your application before the scholarship deadline. Not to worry man, you've many more great opportunities. Enjoy.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Kommentato(m): 3:33pm On Jan 23, 2011
cezeozue:

I wasn't under strict timelines at the time I sent them so I used post office for them all.

Thanks for your response, please permit me to ask how much stamp I would be posting on each. Sorry about asking so many questions.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 10:07pm On Jan 23, 2011
The post office will tell you how much; my brother did most of the posting so I don't really know how much he spent on each one. I vaguely remember him saying something about 600 naira though. I also posted one to Holland for about 700 naira.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 10:37pm On Jan 23, 2011
Kommentato:

Thanks for your response, please permit me to ask how much stamp I would be posting on each. Sorry about asking so many questions.
use post office if you are applying in atleast 4wks before the sch's deadline,
For me, I used registered post at the Post Office and it doesnt need stamps. (Just a courier-like registration and it took just 10days or max 2weeks to get to any location worldwide, the Americas are usually more expensive than the Europe but depepnding on the weight cos its normally weighted/scaled.

cezeozue:

The post office will tell you how much; my brother did most of the posting so I don't really know how much he spent on each one. I vaguely remember him saying something about 600 naira though. I also posted one to Holland for about 700 naira.
Cost for me were ranging from N500-N1390 depending on the weight,
Very reliable and cheap too, compared to my friends that spent N8700-N9340 on FedEx. for their packages.
Just get ur docs very early enuf and u are gud to go.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Kommentato(m): 10:51pm On Jan 23, 2011
@cezeozue  and myforumid3: Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 11:32am On Jan 25, 2011
Kommentato:

@cezeozue  and myforumid3: [b]Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.[/b]
Thats one of the reasons for this thread.
Anytime mate.
Success.

To all Fall 2011 Applicants, Now the waiting game commences, Never fail to update the house of your offers or rejection/waiting.
Success to us all.
Re: Preparing for GRE by AolyElaw: 12:32pm On Feb 03, 2011
Am preparing for my G.R.E presently, I took toefl last month (Dec), My score was 81 , i registrated TUDelft, IS it a acceptable Score,
Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 4:05pm On Feb 03, 2011
@ AolyElaw,
There is no such word as registrated. Take note.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 11:26pm On Feb 04, 2011
2good:

@ AolyElaw,
There is no such word as registrated. Take note.

@2good, So u r stil in da house.
Glad to c u arnd.
How is TUdelft? Got some ??s about Tudelft (i ve bn admitted) n was wondering if u'd be chanced to answer me.
Reach me at ghummer1 at gmail dot com and I'd gladly reply u wif ma real mail ad.
thanks for ur contributn to da house.
Re: Preparing for GRE by NKnight: 11:59am On Feb 06, 2011
Nicklee:

Hey cezeozue, with your profile, I wouldn't loose sleep about getting into any of the schools above. I have lots of friends in the top schools and the average profile looks pretty close to what you have. Caltech is probably the only exception (only few people seem abke to figure their admission structure). But I think MIT, Stanford, UIUC and Princeton (these are schools where I have a couple of friends) would almost certainly want to have you unless things have changed since the last time I worried about grad school, which was in 2006.

Let me know if you get into Stanford. It's lovely here and although I'll be gone by the time you start in the fall (I'm graduating this summer), I'll love to convince you to come to Stanford.

Yeah Nicklee's quite right Cezeozue, those schools (especially MIT, UIUC, Princeton, Stanford and Penn) would definitely want you. Congrats on your profile.

Come March/April your problem would be deciding which scholarship(RA/TA) to finally accept smiley. I can bet that YOU would have to (politely grin) reject some admissions lol. As for Baba Cal, still haven't figured out the itch at Pasadena but I met a Nigerian who completed her masters last year. She did her undergrad in the US though.

You may want to find time to read more on all your potential profs' research. This would help if you need to choose a partcular research group for an RA position. Also read your schools' policies on contacting faculty. I remember, schools like UIUC don't encourage contact until admission is secured. If you do get PhD offers from Caltech, MIT or Princeton then funding would most likely come simultaneously with the admission.

Nice one mate!
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 7:24am On Feb 11, 2011
Hey cezozue

From one of my friends in unilag, I heard that Princetons Mechanical Engineering results just came out today- they mass mailed admissions on the 11th of February.

Come March/April your problem would be deciding which scholarship(RA/TA) to finally accept

Some of those schools notable Stanford and Princeton dont give RA/TA but they give you a fellowship for your first year so you dont need to teach or do research under a professor and you could just focus on your education. you can now join a research group after the first year. This of course varies depending on the department.

Caltech is hard because they probably dont waive the research requirement. Also some departments at Caltech are difficult to get into for foreigners especially Mech Eng.

Goodluck!!!
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 7:31am On Feb 11, 2011
From one of my friends in unilag, I heard that Princetons Mechanical Engineering results just came out today- they mass mailed admissions on the 11th of February.

I really thank God my blood pressure is fine. My heart beats faster everytime a new mail buzzes on my BlackBerry. I could have burst an artery with worrying by now. How come Princeton's decisions came so early? I just checked the site and they said March 15. Anyway, I applied for Electrical Engineering so the wait continues.

I'm also curious, did your friend make it in?
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 8:09am On Feb 11, 2011
No he did not, but he had a high 2:1 though and he had like a 1480 in his GRE. Thats all straight from university. I think he already got into one of the large state universities which are top notch in engineering. The issue though was that the Mechanical Engineering Department at Princeton has a Nigerian professor who seems to take on a lot of Nigerian students (he might likely be on the admission committee) and so I think if you apply to Mech Eng your chances are exponentially better.

Sorry for giving you hypertension oooh. Now I kind of feel even more that you deserve it. We were just chatting on facebook, and i thot about this thread.

Yeah engineering actually is kind of weird. In other fields chemistry/physics you hear like 3-4 weeks after applying especially if you are American. If you are international, then it might take a lot of time but you should have results by end of january. If nothing yawa don burst or as my friend Lagbaja succinctly put it "Nothing for you"

However Princeton mass mails all decisions for their departments, they dont have rolling admissions except you get off a waitlist. So you will likely hear early maybe in the next two weeks maximum from Pton hopefully with positive results.

Then you will pop a bottle of champagne for all of us.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 11:15am On Feb 11, 2011
@ Sefago et al,

Been a while. I just got admitted to Penn State for MS Energy and Mineral Engr. Aid is yet to come though.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 11:40am On Feb 11, 2011
Superbrain:

@ Sefago et al,

Been a while. I just got admitted to Penn State for MS Energy and Mineral Engr. Aid is yet to come though.
Great sch, PhD i guess, Hope they give u funding. Congrats Bro.

cezeozue:

I really thank God my blood pressure is fine. My heart beats faster everytime a new mail buzzes on my BlackBerry. I could have burst an artery with worrying by now. How come Princeton's decisions came so early? I just checked the site and they said March 15. Anyway, I applied for Electrical Engineering so the wait continues.

I'm also curious, did your friend make it in?

Hi ceze,
I think MIT has sent out acceptance mails to their applicants. EE i guess
check out this site for detials,
http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/17221-mit-eecs/page__pid__189151#entry189151
Time to pop champagne is near, very near.

To all, dont fail to tell the house ur update.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 11:58am On Feb 11, 2011
@ceze,
chk out this page too,
http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?t=n&o=p&p=4
success to us
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 12:14pm On Feb 11, 2011
Abeg no give me heart attack o! Fingers crossed sha.

@superbrain: congrats o! I'm still waiting for Penn State's EE
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 12:27pm On Feb 11, 2011
@ myforumid3, thanks bro. Its MS/PhD.

@ cezeozue, cool. With your profile, you should get in. I hope the funding works out because my final decision is based on that.
Re: Preparing for GRE by zukkie4eva(f): 6:55pm On Feb 11, 2011
Superbrain:

@ Sefago et al,

Congratulations Superbrain!!!. . . nice admit. Hope u get funding.

If i may ask, when did u send in all your application materials?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 8:07pm On Feb 11, 2011
@ zukkie4eva, I completed my online application on the 13th of Jan and sent in the applications materials a week after that. Quite fast, right? I hope I get funding too. Trying to have a back-up plan though.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 9:14pm On Feb 13, 2011
every ding on ma BB gets me anxious, but Thank God the offers from USA ve started pouring in!
TU Delft offer may take the back seat esp. if funding doesn't come soon from them soon enuf.
2 Emails, 2 offers of Admission with some kind of in-state tuition payment scholarship from a texas-based top ten pet engr sch, Still confused on it sha and i definitely need advice/expanation on this

Pls SAFEAGO, Dayonako, bebure and other USA based guru, help out on this

Dear me,
You have been accepted by the graduate faculty. You will be awarded a $1000 scholarship that will enable you to be eligible for in state tuition.
You should allow the graduate school 2-3 weeks to complete the processing of your application.

Please ensure that you have completed their required documents.

The department requests that you notify us no later than March 31 of your intention to pursue your degree at ****** University.

Thank you
""""""""""""""""""

Cant wait for the others(more top 5 pet eng schs), before deciding b4/on March 1.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 2:45am On Feb 14, 2011
myforumid3:

every ding on ma BB gets me anxious, but Thank God the offers from USA ve started pouring in!
TU Delft offer may take the back seat esp. if funding doesn't come soon from them soon enuf.
2 Emails, 2 offers of Admission with some kind of in-state tuition payment scholarship from a texas-based top ten pet engr sch, Still confused on it sha and i definitely need advice/expanation on this

Pls SAFEAGO, Dayonako, bebure and other USA based guru, help out on this

Dear me,
You have been accepted by the graduate faculty. You will be awarded a $1000 scholarship that will enable you to be eligible for in state tuition.
You should allow the graduate school 2-3 weeks to complete the processing of your application.

Please ensure that you have completed their required documents.

The department requests that you notify us no later than March 31 of your intention to pursue your degree at ****** University.

Thank you
""""""""""""""""""

Cant wait for the others(more top 5 pet eng schs), before deciding b4/on March 1.

Hearty congratulations to you dude!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Never knew TX schools give out admission decisions (for Pet Eng) that quickly, especially for internationals. Apparently, you were ranked top in thepool of applicants, no wonder you got a scholarship and in-state tuition. Congrats again bro.
I guess you should wait for other offers to come and choose among the them which is best for you, considering the relative rankings in Pet Eng and, of course, the funding packages.
Even if it happens that full funding is not offered, I think you should accept the best of them based on the premises I suggested above. Get the best result in the first semester and then you might get a TA/RA in the second semester which will probably defray subsequent tuition and fees and as well pay you some decent monthly stipend.
Thanks for raising our hopes again with this. I pray God will not forget the rest of us who are still expecting o.

Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 7:30am On Feb 14, 2011
@myforumid: congratulations my friend.
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 12:46am On Feb 15, 2011
@tabarity n ceze,
Thnx. I suspected this sch wud make decisions early enuf as their deadlines were Jan 15 & June 15 for Fall & Spring resp.
For the sch, Residents are to pay $5800 while Non-resident are to pay $11380 tuitions, living xpenses for both is about $9500.
w.r.t  the the instate fee payment offer and $1000 scholarship, this is what my friend who's been in the States since 2k4 explained,

Congrats . That's a start. It basically means that you will be in-charge of paying ur tuition fees less the $1000 scholarship that they are giving you. That means you pay about 4k plus in school fees and still take care of ur feeding and housing for at least ur first semester,  After which u might be able to get an TA or RA position. It will probably be costly for u. Can u contact some of the lecturers to see if they can admit u into there research group. Cheers! 

From the explanation above, the offer looks pretty good and considering that they are ranked in top 10 & located in TX, if a Prof there offers me TA/RA plus if any/all my other three top 5 pet engr schs give(s) me offers (hopefully b4 March 31), then TU delft is outta the way for good even if they put Faculty Scholarship on the table (2yrs is looking too much for me now compared to 16months in USA, and i cant tell if their graduates are easily employed, Europe's(esp. Holland) oil/gas Industry cant compare with that of the States), my fingers are crossed sha but like you said in ur email, only the best and highest bidder wud get us. lol

cezeozue:

@myforumid: congratulations my friend.
My prayer is that we all get the offers of our heart desire and be faced with the problem of which to select/decide. I am already feeling for you ceze my friend when this prob. knocks in few weeks time lollllll 

Trust me, It will be smiles for us all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.