Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,459 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (96874 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by MRNEL(m): 12:39am On Oct 23, 2009
I am real grateful to you guys, the eagles and all. pls I am a B.Pharm grad (4.57) pursuing a direct Phd prog, I am currently planning to do the GRE and possibly TOEFL. ideas are welcome, I am interested in US schools that do herbal plant research.
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 3:13pm On Nov 11, 2009
Hi guys, whats going on? Any news yet?
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 4:44pm On Nov 12, 2009
hey ppl,
i need to write a really good statement of purpose for grad admission, i'd appreciate any help any of you guys could give me!
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:42am On Nov 13, 2009

i dey, but no news for me, lol,

just curious , how do people in nigeria do recommendation letters- most recommendations forms are online and i dont see Nigerian professors turning applications online.

@netotse

what type of help do you need. I have written mine- not really great, but i would proofread it later. Are you applying for a PhD and if so in what program? Or na masters? I can give you the standard way of writing a SOP for PhDs, the problem is that it is usually limited to people who did university in the US:

1) Introduce yourself with your major, and why you are passionalte about your major
2) Go straight into what program you are plan to study for graduate school, then elaborate on your academic and extracurricular backgrounds that have prepared you for that program.
3) Most important for Americans and unlikely help for nigerians- Mention and describe your research experience and how it has shaped your decision to pursue graduate studies in that field.
4) Elaborate on your future goals, as well as why you decided to choose that particular university. For example, you could say that you chose xxxx university because it has professor Bleep who is renowned for his field of cognitive and neuroscience.

If you do need extra help- you could email me your SOP and I could edit it- I am a really good writer (no shaking), then email it back to you.

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by zukkie4eva(f): 12:20pm On Nov 13, 2009
@Sefago, Thanks for the hint on SOP. I am currently drafting mine. If u don't mind, can i e-mail it to you to help proof-read?, i'd appreciate it. . . can i hv ur email addy?

This online recommendation thing is really an issue 'cos not everybody has personal internet access. I don't even know how to begin to beg my profesors to go to cybercafe to send. . . .they will sha
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 12:39pm On Nov 13, 2009
my suggestions on the SOP are as as follows;

1. Get guidelines on the internet (just guidelines, pls dont copy oooo)
2. Go to the website of your chosen schools and department, check the research interest u are applying for. I am very sure, u will get some information that will help you.
3. Start the introduction with why you chose your undergraduate course and its relevant to the development of the nation
4. Relate your undergraduate course to the intended post-graduate course you are applying to (check your transcripts for guide on this)
5. Hail the school VERY WELL. Check their past achievements in the department you are applying to.
6. Then, tell them about your extra-curricculum activities which might give insight about your inter-personal relationship skill and the likes.

NB: These are just from me, it might be right or not, but i think it will surely help.

On the referee, it was a very difficult task for me too, i wasted a lot of credits calling those guys, even though i used my bossess in the office (we travel a lot in my office).
This is what a friend did. She got a laptop and a modem (all this MTN, Starcomms whatever, u get what am saying) and target a day she will meet all of them in school. It paid her cus they referenced her in her presence, u know what i mean by that.

I wish you all well.

I have gotten admission with one of the schools, but they are considering me for Fall because of the course i applied for ( they even admitted me to PhD straight, i am very happy about that), thou i am still waiting for one other school, if that one jell, i dey carry my kaaya in January.

Best of luck my peeps

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by zukkie4eva(f): 1:06pm On Nov 13, 2009
Thanks Arshy for those useful tips & Congratulations on ur admission!, Wow!, direct PhD??. . . dats fantastic!

My school is way up in the north, i dont see the possibility of going all the way up there to sit with the professors to ensure they score me well. . . i just have to pray that they do so. U mean u did not have to use academic references?. . only ur bosses refereed you?, dats great, i wish i could do that atleast i have a very good relationship with my bosses

Pls i have a question: I am planning to write my GRE first week in January, now most of the schools i'm applying to have a deadline of 15th Jan. (for Fall admission) I heard it takes ETS like 3 weeks to send the score to schools, I hope they will still consider my application even if the official scores get to them later than the deadlines set?
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 3:00pm On Nov 13, 2009
@zukkie4eva,

It is still close as you are taking the GRE in January and the same month is the deadline. I think you can still go ahead. From what I studied from the schools, they don't really care about the deadline. If you are qualify and there is space, i think they will still consider you. What they actually care about is the available space for you, thats why you also have to consider schools that are less popular to be on the safer side.
Anyhow, u are good to go.
Re: Preparing for GRE by zukkie4eva(f): 3:49pm On Nov 13, 2009
^^^^ Ok, Thanks Arshy for the clarification. I can go ahead with my application then
Re: Preparing for GRE by Physicist(m): 12:03am On Nov 16, 2009
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 4:25pm On Nov 16, 2009
@sefago
i've written something down how do i send it to you to cross-check
Re: Preparing for GRE by devilmaycy: 10:20am On Nov 18, 2009
Purpose of Study & Professional Plans

The boundless possibility of trying out and the instant knowledge of the outcome that stimulates one for further analysis of a rationale in question, is what I find most appealing about Computer Science. Keeping up an inquisitive and explorative attitude, I believe, leads to a constant learning process. This approach adds to the already immense potential for innovation that exists in this field.

As a student in the final year of undergraduate study for a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Computer Science & Engineering, I look to graduate study to refine my knowledge and skills in my areas of interest. I believe it will also serve to give direction to my goal of a career as a research professional at an academic or commercial, research-oriented organisation. I intend to pursue an MS degree in order to reach that goal.

Academic Background & Research Interests

In my undergraduate studies, I have benefited from the breadth of Shivaji University’s syllabi content that has given me a comprehensive exposure to the core areas of Computer Science and a strong conceptual understanding of the same. In these three and half years of study, I have strived to maintain an approach of expending independent effort in all my endeavors. Learning by myself and sharing my knowledge with others has been most worthwhile, when comprehending a concept.

Over the past two years, I have developed an interest in the areas of Compiler Construction and Information Retrieval. The Compiler Construction lab sessions last semester required the design of a compiler for C++ programs that were restricted to For loops, Switch case statements and simple input and output. The work involved in this, as well as the courses, Formal Systems and Automata and Compiler Construction, have lead me to appreciate the intricacies involved in this field. However, for my MS degree, I remain open to other topics as well.

For my B.E project, I have decided to concentrate on my other area of interest viz. Information Retrieval. I’m attempting to evolve a technique that, when employed in a search engine, will maximize the comprehensiveness and precision of the query listings. The ongoing work has introduced me to a vast body of pertinent research, such as the University of Washington’s Dynamic Reference Sifting technique for locating an individual’s homepage, among others. This has served to sharpen my inclination to engage in active research within this area.

(Please see attached Resume’ for the Academic and Co-curricular distinctions)

One person’s life influences the lives of an unbelievable number of people, one of the most important lessons I learned, being the Head of the Apex Body at senior secondary level (11th and 12th standard). Hence the need of responsible actions. Becoming the youngest Head of the Apex Body ever and the only one to have served for a period of two years eventually turned out to be a confidence booster. It taught me that the basis for good work is self-reliance and very importantly, time management. Not all of my entire two years were devoid of shortcomings. I learned to accept both criticism and praise with a positive frame of mind. My work involved organising various events, that brought with them the opportunity to work and interact with various kinds of people. This was a distinctively gratifying experience for me, which I feel would stand in good stead in the future, especially in lieu of any teaching experience.

In conclusion, I would like to add that the essence of University education lies in the synergetic relationship between the student and his department. I feel that graduate study at your University will be the most logical extension of my academic pursuits and a major step towards achieving my objectives. I would be grateful to you if I’m accorded the opportunity to pursue my graduate studies with financial assistance at your institution and am able to justify your faith in me.

(For a listing of all final year courses, i.e. courses not listed in transcripts please see attached Resume’)

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 5:54am On Nov 27, 2009

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by okele193N: 6:34am On Nov 27, 2009
hey, am now in, GRE self!
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 10:23am On Nov 28, 2009
arshy:

Hey guys, it's been a long time. I got unconditional admission in three out of the four petroleum engineering programs I applied to but none came with financial assistance. The breakdown:

My Profile:
Petroleum Engineering CGPA: 3.9 (Federal University of Tech Owerri)
GRE: Q740, V650, AWA 4.0.
TOEFL: 109 (R28, W29, S23, L29)
Experience: Internships from Shell, Exxon currently work as analyst in a bank for 1yr plus.
Will post my SOP after the visa process.

Applied To:
Colorado School of Mines (Admitted)
Louisiana State University (Rejected: they said their dept was small and encouraged me to re-apply)
New Mexico Tech (Admitted)
University of Houston (Admitted)

My Choice:
Although CSM and NM Tech are on the Top 10 of the Petro rankings, I chose Houston over them because it's the most affordable, has excellent professors with extensive industry experience, has a diverse curriculum with involvement in business, energy finance and law, and most importantly because of its location in Energy capital of the USA. Internships and part time gigs will be more available,  u can even transfer to UT or Texas A&M if you want. Sincerely, UH is the place to be.

I appreciate the opportunity to have shared with some of the most motivated Nigerians here on this thread. Thanks guys.

2 Likes

Re: Preparing for GRE by zukkie4eva(f): 12:09pm On Nov 28, 2009
Congratulations Godeagle!!!!. . . i'm very happy for you
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 4:00pm On Nov 28, 2009
Thanks dear.

Who else has good news to share? Arshy, I'm sure you've heard from some of your prospective schools. What's up?

MR NEL:

I am real grateful to you guys, the eagles and all. pls I am a B.Pharm grad (4.57) pursuing a direct Phd prog, I am currently planning to do the GRE and possibly TOEFL. ideas are welcome, I am interested in US schools that do herbal plant research.

Hey Mr NEL, pardon the oh so late reply. I've been an extremely busy man lately. I don't know the admission criteria for your intended major but I'm pretty sure that your CGPA is ok. You will need to work hard and nail the GRE and TOEFL. You also need a strong SOP that emphasizes your research experience and readiness for the program. Just work hard on the other aspects of your application.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 1:26am On Nov 29, 2009
Congrats Godeagle- as for me, i still have a very long way to go. would keep u updated
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:06am On Nov 29, 2009
graduatenaijahelp@gmail.com

Hey anyone- this is an email in case you want me to critique your Statement of purpose. Also if I have time, I would post examples probably tomorrow/later.

zukkie4eva and netotse- u could email me- I wuld make corrections quickly since application deadlines are nearing.
Re: Preparing for GRE by okele193N: 5:00am On Dec 01, 2009
I want to specially thank some people in this forum they have really help me to understand alot about the GRE. I have been following the thread since April this year, though i have never write in a comment, but now i think i have to owing to the fact that i will be writing GRE next month. and i think that now that i have browse the 'whole' internet, read alot of GRE Textbooks, all thanks to GODEAGLE, SEFAGO, ASHLY, and all you wonderful guys in this thread, who gave me wonderful info then when am starting, now i have finished the BARRON word list, i have read the NOVA, GRE BIBLE, CLIFF TEXT, KAPLAN, PRINCETON, and am still unsobriety in my reading. and i think i can now give back to the thread that have help me so far.

GODEAGLE, Congrant and i believe that one day i will see you to thank you for all what you have done to me. thanks and congrant on your resplandent admission to the university of houton. i kow i will see you in houston someday!

SEFAGO, you are a great man, just keep up the good work.

GUYS, you are wonderful people.

now am in, let's truculently ace the GRE.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 9:58am On Dec 01, 2009
Thanks SEFAGO & Okele193N. I wish us success in the times ahead. We will get there!
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 5:55pm On Dec 01, 2009
It's been a long time dudes. Sorry for the silence. I've been serving the nation selflessly somewhere in the West.

@ Godeagle, Congrats on your admission. I love your choice of schools. Though I'm putting in for Chemical Engineering. Go make us proud.

@ Arshy, Congrats also on the fall admission. Did you apply for an MSc. or PhD? I'm surprised you were admitted directly to their PhD program. You didn't mention the school and your profile.

@ Okele193N, Kudos too. I guess you can still meet the admission deadlines. Just send in your applications immediately after your exams. Your ID name is similar to my surname, hmmm

@ Everyone, Thanks for all your contributions. I'll be taking the GRE on Monday, 7th December and TOEFL on Friday, 11th December after one year of rigorous preparations. Though my school- UNIBEN, is still misbehaving with the transcripts but once i'm done with the exams, "dem go hear am!"

I'm applying to
1. Colorado School of Mines
2. Oklahoma State University
3. University of Cincinnati
4. West Virginia University

Ultimately, I'm headed for either UH or Lousiana State University but for now, I'll make do with the above four for obvious reasons. I'll re post once i ace the GRE come Monday.
Re: Preparing for GRE by sayhi2ay(m): 10:26pm On Dec 01, 2009
@ Arshy: What phd program were you admitted for ? School ?

@superbrain: what program are you seeking admission for?
Re: Preparing for GRE by sayhi2ay(m): 10:30pm On Dec 01, 2009
Here is my Statement of Purpose or Personal Statement as a guide to write yours. All the best!

Statement of Purpose

While I was waiting to write college entrance examination after graduating from high school, I went for a diploma program in computer studies. One of my colleagues wrote a program that produced a siren sound. I was amazed. So there is an algorithm behind every sound production been made? I asked myself rhetorically. I was awestruck by the potential of computers. Out of curiosity to know what other things I can use a computer program for; I developed an interest for computer knowledge. I decided to study computer science as a major in college.
As a college student, I learnt how to use a computer for many tasks - from word processing to surfing the Web to managing my music, photo, and movie collections. I became cognizant of the pervasive presence of computers in everyday life - in transportation, communication, entertainment, household appliances, educational institutions, government, and business.
Because information technology in my country is just growing, no current computing technologies and extensive laboratory were available for us to exploit. Because computer science undergoes constant evolution at a pace unheard of in other disciplines, my department’s curriculum was not current with today’s trend and we did much of theories and mathematics. No access to computer professors. There was little hands-on experience gained. But that didn’t make me concede in my quest for computer knowledge.

However, during my fourth year in college, I went for internship in a bank. I had my real experience with computers as I was exposed to computer hardware, database administration and management, networks, network and computer security, many of which I only had theoretical knowledge.

My passion for computer waxed stronger, I wrote Oracle certification examinations as I have aptitude for database management and wanted to keep up with the growing trend of computer applications.
My foremost accomplishment was developing, implementing and managing database solution for my father’s company. I also did minor computer hardware repairs and system administration.

After college graduation, I knew great erudition still has to be pursued. Graphics, intelligent systems, security, distributed systems, software design, programming, web design, wireless networks, multimedia developments, telecommunication, algorithms to mention a few are aspects of computer that still has to be learnt in-depth and extensively. There was an essentiality for pursuit of an advanced degree in computer science in order to achieve my goals, as it will also open new opportunities in computer field. It could also afford me the opportunity to pursue a career in academia.

After so many considerations about getting training from preeminent hands, getting an advanced training in a school where the department’s areas of concentration matches up with my interest and changes are made to meet up with the emerging interdisciplinary field of information technology in a variety of capacities, where professors will be accessible and we can collaborate together to research just about anything within computer field, ample hands-on involvement and essential research skills need are provided, school where internet, dial-up network, and web access are provided which are necessary tools to complete assignments and projects, and a lot of practical engagements, I was convinced beyond evenhanded doubt that a United States school will be the best school to attend for me to consummate my aspirations.

Attending a US school will as well provide a better job prospects in my country upon graduation because Degree Certificates earned are highly regarded in my country’s marketplace and industries.

After a detailed and comprehensive search for schools with excellent ranks, programs overall reputation, a household name in the worldwide computer science community, making inquiries about tuition, cost of living, environment, university’s computer science department core curriculum, conversations with professors and computer science alumni, getting good response from school representatives, availability of excellent facilities and equipment, extensive laboratories containing powerful PCs and workstations and appropriate up-to-date software which have Internet/web-access, modern classrooms, I chose Wright State University, Ohio.

At every step of my country's move to an information society, key solutions are provided by computer science.
At the heart of cell phones, airlines and airplanes, financial transactions, company management, publishing of any kind, the Internet and world wide web, industrial plant control and all other devices and processes that make today's world run, lie algorithms and data structures devised by computer scientists.

No other discipline has grown so fast in such a short time, and none has better prospects for its graduates in a country that does not cease to find new uses for information technology. Computer science offers a unique combination: scientific and engineering appeal; the growth prospects of a multi-billion-naira industry; and the ability for individuals to make a difference.

Because of my strong background in fields where computers are applied and sturdy mathematical foundations, I have confidence that getting a master’s degree in Computer Science in Wright State University, Ohio State, will afford me the opportunity to have an unassailable and profound knowledge in algorithmic thinking, information architecture, artificial intelligence, programming, software engineering, compilers/operating systems, networking, graphics, multimedia, human-computer interaction, real-time, embedded systems, and pervasive computing, information systems and databases, security, privacy and cryptography, scientific computing, and many other topics, some just emerging.

In conclusion, after a work of great erudition, all the knowledge that would be gained from my master’s program will go a long way in helping accomplish my pursuit to be part of the people that will contribute to the growth of information technology in my country, Nigeria.

Armed with a zest for challenges and an enthusiastic desire to learn all I can, I would like to take with me, in addition to knowledge about computer science, a network of strong and lasting relationships with my teachers and fellow-students. I hope that my background is found suitable for an MS in Computer Science at Wright State University.

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 1:30am On Dec 02, 2009
MSc. Chemical Engineering.
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 10:05am On Dec 02, 2009
there seems to be quite a number of engineers in this place(even if most of y'all are chem engineers). . .lol
Re: Preparing for GRE by okele193N: 10:16am On Dec 02, 2009
hey, guys! i just register for GRE  and  the date i chose was 12th of january. but i made a mistake when filling the form with my e mail address, so now  i cant receive the confirmation e mail from Prometrics. i have  email them to apprise them  about the mistake but they are not replying the emails, i have been callling their phone numbers that i saw on their website  for the central Africa, still no success- it all voice mail. please i dont really know whether i am calling the right phone numbers, please if anyone have their phone numbers just give it to me so i can correct this on time and get my exam date confirm. thanks.
@ SUPERBRAIN  , i wish you a refulgent success in your GRE on monday. so my username is like your surname. well, a friend gave me the name in primary school, and it has swathed to me like a second name.

@ZUKKIE4EVA, when are you writing yours in january.

@GODEAGLE, PLEASE help ! i am discombobulate . . . do you have the phone number?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 4:08pm On Dec 02, 2009
netotse:

there seems to be quite a number of engineers in this place(even if most of y'all are chem engineers). . .lol
Yeah. I noticed that too. I guess it's because of the nature of the profession hence you find most graduate engineers gunning for a masters degree from abroad. The benefit one gets with a foreign degree especially in an engineering related profession is phenomenal.

okele193N:

hey, guys! i just register for GRE  and  the date i chose was 12th of january. but i made a mistake when filling the form with my e mail address, so now  i cant receive the confirmation e mail from Prometrics. i have  email them to apprise them  about the mistake but they are not replying the emails, i have been callling their phone numbers that i saw on their website  for the central Africa, still no success- it all voice mail. please i dont really know whether i am calling the right phone numbers, please if anyone have their phone numbers just give it to me so i can correct this on time and get my exam date confirm. thanks.
@ SUPERBRAIN  , i wish you a refulgent success in your GRE on monday. so my username is like your surname. well, a friend gave me the name in primary school, and it has swathed to me like a second name.

@ZUKKIE4EVA, when are you writing yours in january.

@GODEAGLE, PLEASE help ! i am discombobulate . . . do you have the phone number?

It's obvious you're prepared to ace the GRE because your use of words is impressive. But be careful so you don't end up sounding too ambiguous. Some simple words are better expressors of action. As for your payment issue, small thing. Just relax. As far as you sent the complaint to zaregs@prometric.com, you have no problem. Your email would be responded to. If you're still impatient, call their office in the Netherlands.
Re: Preparing for GRE by sayhi2ay(m): 4:29pm On Dec 02, 2009
okele193N:

i have  email them to apprise them  about the mistake but they are not replying the emails, i have been callling their phone numbers that i saw on their website  for the central Africa, still no success-
-i emailed apprising them about the mistake

okele193N:

refulgent success
-inappropriate conjunction

your use of "swathed" isn't necessary.

okele193N:

-i am discombobulate[b]d[/b]

Take it easy bro.

Superbrain:

MSc. Chemical Engineering.
Sweet, my brother went to University of Cincinnati is why I asked. Am trying to apply for a Phd there, have to scale GMAT hurdle first sha, all the best
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 6:46pm On Dec 02, 2009
sayhi2ay:

Sweet, my brother went to University of Cincinnati is why I asked. Am trying to apply for a Phd there, have to scale GMAT hurdle first sha, all the best

Good to hear that. What was his major and what is yours?
Re: Preparing for GRE by sayhi2ay(m): 6:50pm On Dec 02, 2009
Superbrain:

Good to hear that. What was his major and what is yours?

He did MBA, I did Comp Sci, but not in UC though, went to wright state university. Wanna apply for PhD in Info Sys @ UC

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.