Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,110 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

Preparing for GRE - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (97044 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 7:03pm On Dec 02, 2009
That's good. I wish you all the best,ok? Got to put some last minute finishes to my preparations.
Re: Preparing for GRE by okele193N: 2:34am On Dec 03, 2009
@SUPERBRAIN, Thanks , Prometric just rectified the mistake. They sent me the confirmation mail with my new email address the old one has been rescinded.

@ SAYI, hey, Bro, just catching fun with those gargantuan group of words, not going to use them in my analytical writing.
Re: Preparing for GRE by okele193N: 2:44am On Dec 03, 2009
@ SUPERBRAIN, Thanks Prometric just sent the confirmation email to me.

@ SAYHI, My bro, am just trying to have fun with those GARGANTUAN group of words, not going to use them in my analytical writing.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 11:13am On Dec 03, 2009
You're welcome.
Re: Preparing for GRE by okele193N: 3:30am On Dec 06, 2009
@ SUPERBRAIN. Just want to wish you good luck in your exam tomorrow. Please just put in your trust in GOD. He will surely do it for you. And please don't forget to post your GRE EXPERIENCE. It will be lovely to read about your SUCCESS in GRE.

@ And guys let's keep GREing, no time!
Re: Preparing for GRE by agabaI23(m): 3:31am On Dec 06, 2009
Do not waste time on anything you can't figure. Guess and move on.
I am not sure if they do negative marking again. I did it years ago.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 11:41am On Dec 06, 2009
okele193N:

@ SUPERBRAIN. Just want to wish you good luck in your exam tomorrow. Please just put in your trust in GOD. He will surely do it for you. And please don't forget to post your GRE EXPERIENCE. It will be lovely to read about your SUCCESS in GRE.

@ And guys let's keep GREing, no time!

Thanks alot. Just finished a powerprep test and it was pretty good. I'm putting my trust in God. Would repost tomorrow when i'm done so that others can benefit from my experience.

agabaI23:

Do not waste time on anything you can't figure. Guess and move on.
I am not sure if they do negative marking again. I did it years ago.
Thanks for that piece of advice but i would not do that on my first ten questions. Feel me?
Re: Preparing for GRE by afrodoc(m): 12:07am On Dec 07, 2009
There isnt negative marking so if u dont know d answer 2 a question,eliminate d sure wrong options and guess btw d rest.make sure u get ur first 10 to 15 answers correct and u r on d ryt track.as d test progresses and tym bcoms limited do not dwell on questions,eliminate then guess and move on
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 12:24pm On Dec 07, 2009
Finally done. Verbal-Ardous. Quantitative- worse. AWA- superb.

770 Quant, 420 Verbal, AWA pending.

I'm done with GRE for now. TOEFL next,

Shockers: I got four (4) RC's on the verbal, three consecutively and my Quant was basically data interpretation with many complex problem solving.

Delights: My AWA was superb. The issue topic was easiest while argument was fair.

Overall, i think the GRE is the hardest exam i've ever written.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 12:36pm On Dec 07, 2009
Congrats mate, i had a similar exam experience . I scattered the SAT verbal (ridiculously high score) and just barely did well in the maths section  (700+) but the reverse was for my GRE too. Bombed the verbal but perfect in the quantitative section. Although i had very arduous data interpretation and complex questions- not the easy crap u see on practice books, while the verbal was harder than i imagined. And I hate cramming words so i did not try.

All is good that ends well.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 1:06pm On Dec 07, 2009
SEFAGO:

Congrats mate, i had a similar exam experience . I scattered the SAT verbal (ridiculously high score) and just barely did well in the maths section  (700+) but the reverse was for my GRE too. Bombed the verbal but perfect in the quantitative section. Although i had very arduous data interpretation and complex questions- not the easy crap u see on practice books, while the verbal was harder than i imagined. And I hate cramming words so i did not try.

All is good that ends well.

Thanks. I was glad i did well in the quantitative section. As for the verbal, one should have been preparing for a long time in order to ace it. Though i expected a perfect quant, i'm still glad it was above 750. Thanks for all the information you guys have provided on this thread. I'll repost a more detailed write-up on my exam experience on saturday when i'm finally done with TOEFL. Thanks bro.
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 2:50pm On Dec 07, 2009
Superbrain:

Shockers: I got four (4) RC's on the verbal, three consecutively and my Quant was basically data interpretation with many complex problem solving.

Delights: My AWA was superb. The issue topic was easiest while argument was fair.

congrats man. . .

@sefago
thanks for the critque, i'm sending you the rewritten draft
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 2:54pm On Dec 07, 2009

@sefago
thanks for the critque, i'm sending you the rewritten draft

yeah now worries, email me when u are done
Re: Preparing for GRE by bawomolo(m): 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2009
Superbrain:

\

not a bad score especially for quant
Re: Preparing for GRE by okele193N: 3:14am On Dec 08, 2009
@SUPERBRAIN, congrat you did well. you had a good score!
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 10:02am On Dec 08, 2009
okele193N:

@SUPERBRAIN, congrat you did well. you had a good score!

Thanks alot. I'm applying to more schools since my quant does hurt so bad. I'm sure my AWA scores should be between 4.5 and 6. As for the TOEFL, i don't expect to score anything less than 100/120 on the iBT. I thank God for everything.

Once i'm done with the TOEFL, i'll then review my SOPs. Wrote them some months back.

@ SEFAGO, what's your email address so i can send it for review?
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:05am On Dec 08, 2009
graduatenaijahelp@gmail.com

make sure it is correct by checking it on the old pages of this thread, i might have posted it with my old username devvilmaycy
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 12:03pm On Dec 08, 2009
Thanks. I've sent it. Expecting a response soonest.
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 1:16pm On Dec 08, 2009
i'm sure i'm begining to sound like a broken record,

@sefago
u shouldnt use the '@' when postinf your email addy on a public forum(or any forum at all) thats how spammers get the email addys they use, and also all the maryam babangida's and such. try graduatenaijahelp[at]gmail[dot]com its much safer that way. . .
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 2:06pm On Dec 08, 2009
No worries that isn't even close to my real email, that is why it took me time to respond, i didnt want to use any of my real email. Though u are rite, I have already been asked by two princes to give them some money so they can make me a billionaire and some really weird messages undecided
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 8:23pm On Dec 09, 2009
Superbrain:

Wow! Great score! Congratulations. After my second attempt, I knew that ETS had definitely stepped-up. All the best with TOEFL
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 11:50am On Dec 10, 2009
@ Godeagle,

Thanks. Preparing hard for TOEFL which comes up tomorrow. What do you think about my verbal scores? I also intend applying to more schools. Do you know any good universities that have great programs for MS/Phd in Chemical Engineering for which my scores qualify me? I need schools that offer good financial aid.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 9:33pm On Dec 10, 2009
Your verbal score is not that bad considering the major. The highest rated engineering schools have their average accepted scores in the 490-500 range. Most of the others have them between 380-450. As you may know, most engineering admission committees don't even look at the verbal. Moreover, strong TOEFL and AWA scores will make up for a weak verbal score. Just work hard on all the other aspects of your application. I'm sure there are great programs out there within your grasp. CSM is one of them. All the best. smiley
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:39pm On Dec 10, 2009
Your verbal score is not that bad considering the major. The highest rated engineering schools have their average accepted scores in the 490-500 range. Most of the others have them between 380-450. As you may know, most engineering admission committees don't even look at the verbal. Moreover, strong TOEFL and AWA scores will make up for a weak verbal score. Just work hard on all the other aspects of your application. I'm sure there are great programs out there within your grasp. CSM is one of them. All the best.

And most importantly, engineering schools aren't really particular about the verbal aspect, and would assume thet you didn't do too well because english is not your fits language- yep, most americans don't know english is spoken in nigeria
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 4:18pm On Dec 11, 2009
Thanks guys. Just finished my TOEFL exam. It went very well though there were some hitches. While i was on my fourth task in the speaking section, there was an interruption in power supply at the test centre. We had to wait for over an hour before we resumed the test. I'm so tired of this country. Everything is failingly. What else could one expect with a sick president?

Anyway, i'm off to my alma mater to get 'em transcripts. Thanks for all the help folks.
Re: Preparing for GRE by eorgu(m): 10:17pm On Dec 12, 2009
good job guys, i just got wind of this thread today and i read from 1-9. wonderful thread. kudos and congrats to GODEAGLE, SEFAGO, ARSHY etc.

i am a pharmacist (currently serving) and i intend to apply for MPH in canada but i think i still have a long way to go (IELTS, GRE and transcript wahala). i have postponed my applications till this time next year.

pls, if anyone has any vital material as regards GRE, my e-mail is emekaorgu@yahoo.co.uk.

THANKS.
Re: Preparing for GRE by eorgu(m): 10:25pm On Dec 12, 2009
good job guys, i just got wind of this thread today and i read from 1-9. wonderful thread. kudos and congrats to GODEAGLE, SEFAGO, ARSHY etc.

i am a pharmacist (currently serving) and i intend to apply for MPH in canada but i think i still have a long way to go (IELTS, GRE and transcript wahala). i have postponed my applications till this time next year.

pls, if anyone has any vital material as regards GRE, my e-mail is emekaorgu@yahoo.co.uk.

THANKS.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 3:23am On Dec 13, 2009
Hey guys,
I just found this page and it's been very informative. I've just completed my bachelor's in mechanical engineering in jand with a 2:1, my GRE scores are 760 Quantitative, 550 Verbal and 5.0 AWA. Basically I wanna apply for an MS in Petroleum Engineering in yankee at the following schools after my NYSC: colorado school of mines, texas tech, louisiana state, university of oklahoma, university of tulsa and university of louisiana at lafayette.
Do I even have any chance considering my quantitative gre score, my 2:1 as opposed to a 1st class degree and the fact that i have never worked at an oil company (I have one year work experience as a mechanical engineer with a multinational firm though) or published in any journal. Is it worth paying $180 to retake the GRE as that's the only thing I can change realistically.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 3:39am On Dec 13, 2009
Godeagle:

Hey guys, it's been a long time. I got unconditional admission in three out of the four petroleum engineering programs I applied to but none came with financial assistance. The breakdown:

My Profile:
Petroleum Engineering CGPA: 3.9 (Federal University of Tech Owerri)
GRE: Q740, V650, AWA 4.0.
TOEFL: 109 (R28, W29, S23, L29)
Experience: Internships from Shell, Exxon currently work as analyst in a bank for 1yr plus.
Will post my SOP after the visa process.

Applied To:
Colorado School of Mines (Admitted)
Louisiana State University (Rejected: they said their dept was small and encouraged me to re-apply)
New Mexico Tech (Admitted)
University of Houston (Admitted)

My Choice:
Although CSM and NM Tech are on the Top 10 of the Petro rankings, I chose Houston over them because it's the most affordable, has excellent professors with extensive industry experience, has a diverse curriculum with involvement in business, energy finance and law, and most importantly because of its location in Energy capital of the USA. Internships and part time gigs will be more available,  u can even transfer to UT or Texas A&M if you want. Sincerely, UH is the place to be.

I appreciate the opportunity to have shared with some of the most motivated Nigerians here on this thread. Thanks guys. 

Congrats bros. That's great. Getting one graduate school admission is hard enough not to speak of 3. As you've applied to most of the schools I'm considering (see post directly above) can you give me any tips? Did you apply for MS or MEng or PhD programs? Again congrats oh. I'm happy things are working out for some fellow Nairalanders!
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 7:33pm On Dec 13, 2009
bebure:

Hey guys,
I just found this page and it's been very informative. I've just completed my bachelor's in mechanical engineering in jand with a 2:1, my GRE scores are 760 Quantitative, 550 Verbal and 5.0 AWA. Basically I wanna apply for an MS in Petroleum Engineering in yankee at the following schools after my NYSC: colorado school of mines, texas tech, louisiana state, university of oklahoma, university of tulsa and university of louisiana at lafayette.
Do I even have any chance considering my quantitative gre score, my 2:1 as opposed to a 1st class degree and the fact that i have never worked at an oil company (I have one year work experience as a mechanical engineer with a multinational firm though) or published in any journal. Is it worth paying $180 to retake the GRE as that's the only thing I can change realistically.

Your scores are very good. You even had your first degree in the UK. Did you do any research work while an undergrad? I think you should tidy up all other aspects of your application: your statement of purpose, reco letters and resume, and give it a shot. You are very good to go.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 3:16am On Dec 14, 2009
^ superbrain,sorry I havnt been able to critique ur stuff. I have exams and so even my own apps have been in limbo. I will see what i can do in the following week.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 5:09pm On Dec 14, 2009
No problem my brother. I've also been busy but just try to critique it by then. I should be sending out some of my applications by 26th of December. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.