Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,225 members, 7,829,380 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... (2546 Views)

Did Every African Or Nigerian Experience The Same Things? / Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... / Single And Living Alone, How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... by marvelck: 1:21pm On May 21, 2012
Schooling and living on campus in most Nigerian schools is never a rosy story for many students. Some are faced all sorts of difficulties ranging from exorbitant school fees, inadequate/comfortable accomdoation, lack of funds, lack enough food to eat, lack of books and other study materials and what have you. most times, you find up to 10 students sleeping in an hostel room, with little or no ventilation, no power supply, good toilet facilities, or kitchen space. some cook inside their rooms, beside their door (i.e along the corridors of their rooms),or at the back of their hostel. those that can afford it, eat in dirty or poorly constructed/crumbling canteens where they can easily be exposed to food poisoning. And not to talk of the issue of sexual harrassment being faced by girls on campus. Schooling in Nigeria presently is like being on the battle field. Except for those whose parents can afford to send them to private universities, to enjoy quality services and 1st class facilities...But God so nice, and due to the vision of some business men, some of our students are now having the opportunity of living in luxurious hostels, though expensive but better than what we used to have in those days. Some people are now erecting fine hostels (off campus), for students to rent. And these off campus hostels have regular power supply, good drinking water, large room space, kitchen space and clean toilet with water etc. and the rents are between #100k and #150k per year. which two or three students can pay for, by contributing the money and sharing the room. And these fine off campus hostels are springing up here and there, and students are paying for them while the owners are smiling to the banks. Cos students like them. many want to come back to a comfortable room/apartment after lectures. bath, cook, relax and also be able to study with ease in the night...So, I believe something should be done to the living condition of our students in school hostels. what many of them go through daily is best imagined than experienced. Govt or the school authorities should not be thinking of increasing and collecting school fees alone, but should also be concerned with the welfare and living condition of students staying in school hostels. Put yourself in their shoes...or even your own children. we are all humans and not animals.

Re: Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... by TessaEdin: 4:28pm On Dec 15, 2015
Basically, the same is all over the world. My sister studies in Ohio State University and accomodation issues are pretty much the same. High room and board fees don't make everybody happy. Surely, dorm amenities are better than ones in images. Still, there roommates who aren't fans of cleaning so somes dorms can have disgusting smells. And positive impressions of wonderful college experience mentioned at the post by customwritingcompany goes down like a house of cards. Well, this is a college life, isn't it?
Re: Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... by Miami11: 5:46pm On Dec 15, 2015
TessaEdin:
Basically, the same is all over the world. My sister studies in Ohio State University and accomodation issues are pretty much the same. High room and board fees don't make everybody happy. Surely, dorm amenities are better than ones in images. Still, there roommates who aren't fans of cleaning so somes dorms can have disgusting smells. And positive impressions of wonderful college experience mentioned at the post by customwritingcompany goes down like a house of cards. Well, this is a college life, isn't it?

You compare those rooms especially the kitchen to Ohio State University, are you sure your sister is in,Ohio or some village school.
I've never been to Ohio state university but if I pull pictures on Google they will never look like the pictures above, stop lying.
Re: Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... by Miami11: 5:48pm On Dec 15, 2015
My village high school looked better than that room.
Re: Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... by Richy4(m): 8:56pm On Dec 15, 2015
TessaEdin:

Just maybe you did not hear your sister very well. the highest you can stay in a room is two or three depending on the size of the room. And there are strict rules about keeping visitors.

But Nigerian students might be 4 in a room, each will bring their friends and their friends inturn will bring their cousins. by the time you total the number of student in that room, you, it could be 10
Re: Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... by KINGOFJAPAN: 6:20am On Dec 18, 2015
Miami11:
My village high school looked better than that room.
kikikikik lol your Ghanaian high school huts berra than that room? ... I chuckle in twi

(1) (Reply)

Mothers/christians, Is Child Dedication Party Compulsory? / Warning Guys Do Not Marry Because Of Money / My 1 Year And 2 Months Old Daughter Always Acting Weird (pls Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.