Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,610 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! (11539 Views)

Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists / Is It Ok To Drive With OD (over Drive) On Or Off? / Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by baaliyah(m): 7:48pm On May 25, 2012
what you see at the rear of those cars not factory equiped with DTRLs is PARKING lights not brake lights.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Josh316(m): 7:59pm On May 25, 2012
Like some people have explained, its due to the fact that these are common with American and Canadian spec cars. Now, for someone who was here spewing rubbish about Nigerians copying (NOT THE POSTER), be reminded that we Nigerians source a good percentage of our cars (2nd hand and New cars) from the US and Canada. so the result is we are left with cars with functional DRLs. Its not about effizy, but circumstances of economics on our environment grin
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Pakavy(m): 8:04pm On May 25, 2012
MrMexs007: Yet still some guys turn on so they will join the group of persons with cars equipped with day time running light. You see such folks with brake lights on as well, meaning the headlights were turned on, on purpose. Cause with cars equipped with day time running light you dont see the brake lights go on when the car engine is running.
especialy those with xenon headlamps.even me!
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Vergil: 8:26pm On May 25, 2012
obinna 222: Bros,

Those lights are not for fancy, they are part of the safety features that cars must have.

For instance, in the United Kingdom, it has become a mandatory safety feature for all cars.

i suggest you do more research to understand further.

Guy,
When did this become mandatory in the UK? Don't see cares with headlamps on, daytime.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Vergil: 8:28pm On May 25, 2012

Those lights are not for fancy, they are part of the safety features that cars must have.

For instance, in the United Kingdom, it has become a mandatory safety feature for all cars.

Guy,
When did this become mandatory in the UK? Don't see cares with headlamps on, daytime.

Only time, if u in d fast lane and d car behind u wants to go faster, then s/he flashes d lamps for u to go faster or clear! Same Autobahn
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by donbuchi1(m): 8:31pm On May 25, 2012
bros u for ask questions before coming to nairaland to show ur intelligence
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by vanstanzy(m): 8:34pm On May 25, 2012
azpekuliar: This has for long puzzled me. Why do motorists in Lagos drive around with their head lamps on. And I mean regular motorists, not a VIP convoy. I can understand if its done on a hazy day, rainy day but in clear day light and with perfect driving conditions . Or could it be an attempt to show off their vehicles, because a vast majority of the vehicles range form mid-budget to top of the range vehicles, but evn then very few of them have Xenon High Intensity Discharge Head Lamps which I saw on a Ducati this morning and was awed. Even jalopies on Lagos roads are part of this trend. Should this one be added to the list of the motoring cultures peculiar to us as Lagosians/Nigerians or this also obtains abroad?
@op
Ask the americans n canadians they should have the right answer. It mostly has nothing to do with lagosians.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by unlimitedjoe(m): 9:01pm On May 25, 2012
9-zeros:
in lagos, everytin needs to 'shine eye'....includin cars!
lols. Abi o
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Vergil: 9:12pm On May 25, 2012

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by BizBooks(m): 9:18pm On May 25, 2012
When your headlights are on during the day, people cannot miss you. In the early
days of Daylight Running Lamps in the US, people constantly remind you that your
headlights are on. That is the whole idea. If an oncoming driver can see your
headlights, he can see you and hopefully not run into you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by obongtunji: 9:52pm On May 25, 2012
After all these response somebody is still saying he doesn't know why people drive in the day time with their headlamp on. Eyo, are you sure you read atleast five?? We'll, if it gets you angry you can break the headlamp.....lop
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by warrior101: 10:07pm On May 25, 2012
onye ego: American specs my foot!
This is Nigeria!
This is why we hv refused to make progress.
What is d RELIVANCE of driving with ur lights on with d kind of wether we have here?
It makes no sense having ur lights on in broad day light!

Wether you agree or not; most people do it to show off.

In 2010 I bought a chevvy in malasia and there was nothing like that. When i came to 9ja last year i observed what the OP is talking, when i asked why they will say na american spec. I think its show off...
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Yinkay: 10:14pm On May 25, 2012
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Siga: 7:30pm
A daytime running lamp (DRL, also daylight running lamp or daytime running light) is an automotive lighting device on the front of a roadgoing motor vehicle, installed in pairs, automatically switched on when the vehicle is moving forward, emitting white, yellow, or amber light to increase the conspicuity of the vehicle during daylight conditions.

LMAO......@ bolded .....what an oxymoron! a roadgoing motor vehicle.......where else do u want a motor vehicle to pass through if not a road? maybe water or air
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 25, 2012
Picture please grin gotta be badass funny
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by jevic(m): 11:06pm On May 25, 2012
Na them sabi......................Lol
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by ndidibabe(f): 11:31pm On May 25, 2012
warrior101:

In 2010 I bought a chevvy in malasia and there was nothing like that. When i came to 9ja last year i observed what the OP is talking, when i asked why they will say na american spec. I think its show off...
See your mouth like show off. What explanation do you need again? You do not want people to buy American spec cars again? I have a car of such spec and the light is always on. That is the design. Please stop showing your ignorance here.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Mayflowa(m): 11:38pm On May 25, 2012
warrior101:

Why would you buy a chevvy in Maley? Foreign cars are damn expensive there!
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Blackteeth(m): 11:43pm On May 25, 2012
DRL or whatever its called is not needed in Nigeria that the sunlight outshines the headlamps.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by warrior101: 11:51pm On May 25, 2012
Mayflowa:

Why would you buy a chevvy in Maley? Foreign cars are damn expensive there!

You are right. It was my first drive
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by warrior101: 12:01am On May 26, 2012
ndidibabe: See your mouth like show off. What explanation do you need again? You do not want people to buy American spec cars again? I have a car of such spec and the light is always on. That is the design. Please stop showing your ignorance here.

Except that you are the one showing ignorance here.... Its redundant to have your lights on during the day when its not raining or frosty (Fog) . Our weather dif from america so making it a show off here. Bingo
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by GAR3TH(m): 1:04am On May 26, 2012
DRL make it easy for people to see a vehicle [even on sunny days], thats why it is mandatory in canada and a few states in the USA. Believe it or not studies have shown that it helps reduce accidents by allowing a driver to better gauge an approaching car, its distance and speed, the same reason why trains have DRL.

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.html
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Pakavy(m): 1:20am On May 26, 2012
190: I hate 2 say dis but I'm part of d trend dat switch lites on durin d day

I'm just used 2 it

Its called effizin

Or I don arrive
especialy if na xenon headlamps.e easy?
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Pakavy(m): 1:23am On May 26, 2012
ANTITRIBALISM: It's because the government has covered the country with darkness and people are struggling to move with headlamps in broad-day light.
la'illa'allahu
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Finland(m): 2:50am On May 26, 2012
In developed countries it is mandatory to turn your headlight on at all times. and since naija just joined the geneva convention. the government should make it mandatory
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by juman(m): 6:32am On May 26, 2012
Incredible! I don't think it's right.

I think countries that drive like that have some part of the year in early darkness.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by azpekuliar: 6:38am On May 26, 2012
Great discourse. Now I know about DRL's and their purpose. But knowing the average naija mans mindset, I cannot rule-out the showing-off aspect of it in this clime, never! I'm sure DRLs can be de-activated here, if owners show serious intent to since we have a tropical climate. The Ducati I saw with full beam Xenon HID lights couldn't have been DRLs. Some have posted that they deliberately turn on their headlamps to mimic authentic DRLs. So that clears the air on that.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by onyeego(m): 6:50am On May 26, 2012
I still insist; until d reserch is carried out here in Nigeria, and d benefits are proven;it remains a SHOWOFF

Afterall, this will not be d first Oyibo invention that is completly USELESS to us here in Nigeria.

e.g, standing at d door of a Naija babe with a flower bouquet in ur hands
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by juman(m): 7:41am On May 26, 2012
onye ego: I still insist; until d reserch is carried out here in Nigeria, and d benefits are proven;it remains a SHOWOFF

Afterall, this will not be d first Oyibo invention that is completly USELESS to us here in Nigeria.

e.g, standing at d door of a Naija babe with a flower bouquet in ur hands

I agree with you.
Re: Why Do Lagos Motorists Drive With Headlamps On In Broad-day Light!! by Nobody: 8:52am On May 26, 2012
Daylight lamps come on at twilight, nt afternoon. Most of those people do it to show off.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Only Japanese Vehicles Mentality Syndrome / 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong / Pretty Soon Electric Cars Will Cost Less Than Gasoline Driven Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.