Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound (8900 Views)

APC Blast PDP:'A Party That Can't Even Spell Its Name Wants 2 Save Nigeria'(pics / Amaechi’s Deputy Defects To PDP, Says “APC Is A Party Of Rebels, Founded On.." / South-African Girls Arrested For Having Nigerian Friends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Exponental(m): 5:59pm On May 24, 2012
blank: Sorry to burst your bubble but it is a legal fee by the LGA.
just get 2 d LGA 2 confirm. Dont talk 2 miscrants but go straight 2 an office with a title.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 12:11pm On May 25, 2012
ubazuo: Kakatazz, u get sense at all? Na ur kind na e dey spoil we country. "pay them" u said? U nor get sense o! 4 real, u nor get sense. Instead I go pay that shit, I go spend 1million contest am for court. Useless ppl! 4 Warri here, evn if na say u dey pack enter new apartment, community go com demand money. Any activity wey u dey do,u must pay moni. But we all need to resist all this bullshit na!

U must be an IDIOTT for that.I doubt if you went to school because if you did you would ve been able to read and assimilate the post.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 1:16pm On May 25, 2012
ubazuo: Kakatazz, u get sense at all? Na ur kind na e dey spoil we country. "pay them" u said? U nor get sense o! 4 real, u nor get sense. Instead I go pay that shit, I go spend 1million contest am for court. Useless ppl! 4 Warri here, evn if na say u dey pack enter new apartment, community go com demand money. Any activity wey u dey do,u must pay moni. But we all need to resist all this bullshit na!
Are u okay at all? Y re u deletn my posts?Sillyy brat!
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kobojunkie: 1:29pm On May 25, 2012
Bontee:

The law is very clear, one is for closing the streets and roads and while the other is for private entertainment in public places. Your compound is a public facility as it is not restricted to you solely but shared with other tenants.

An Apartment complex(especially one not owned by Government) is not a PUBLIC place. Having other tenants in the same compound does not then transform any private property into a public zone.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kobojunkie: 1:32pm On May 25, 2012
klem: Merritment fee by any LGA is only legal when you use the street/road. I had a nasty experience last year. After having my sisiter's wedding in my compound, a notice to pay 5k was served to us d following week. I was given a 7-day notice and failure to pay, I should appear before a court,can't remember d name. I was very angry and din't respond. I spoke with an ex-Chancellor and he advised me to give him 1k to see somebody in d Local govt. Got angry d more & was prepared to go to d court. My sister settled d ex- chancellor & nothing happened afterwards. lessoned learned is they do this believing that one will get panicked & pay the money. But If you did not hold any party on the street,after serving you the notice,they will never force you to pay any money.

I think that is what this is about, to bully people into paying a fee that they ought not to. Someone ought to sue these local governments for serving up these notices. It is illegal to hound residents in such a manner. These Government officials know that these notices are not warranted.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by yemiofGod(f): 3:09pm On May 25, 2012
Kakatazz:
LOL!Honestly I am just trying to be happy.It was addressed "to the CELEBRANT".I am a very private person ,pple hardly know me.I go to work very early and get back late at night.Besides I was not the celebrant.

Fine, then give the notice to your one year old son/daughter, being the 'celebrant' lmao grin

If I were you I'd call their bluff. Let them bring the evidence that a 'merriment/celebration' was held either on the road or wherever. Don't fall mugu for them pls. And by the way, have they checked back since the notice was served? Was there a deadline given?
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by oc2fish: 11:13pm On May 25, 2012
I will advice you to join the party that is ruling
your LG if you live in Lagos attend there meeting
once in a while and things like that wont happen
to you.Joining the group is free. During festive
period they might give you a cup of rice.

1 Like

Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 12:56pm On May 27, 2012
yemiofGod:

Fine, then give the notice to your one year old son/daughter, being the 'celebrant' lmao grin

If I were you I'd call their bluff. Let them bring the evidence that a 'merriment/celebration' was held either on the road or wherever. Don't fall mugu for them pls. And by the way, have they checked back since the notice was served? Was there a deadline given?
Yes they gave 24hrs brought another notice recently.I am waiting to see what is next.Meanwhile how can we all fight against this demonic law?We must do something.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by yemiofGod(f): 3:42pm On May 28, 2012
@Poster, how far nah? I'm seriosuly intrested in this matter. Have your 'friends' come back to seal your house? grin or have you 'settled' them?
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Kakatazz(f): 9:07am On Aug 07, 2012
yemiofGod: @Poster, how far nah? I'm seriosuly intrested in this matter. Have your 'friends' come back to seal your house? grin or have you 'settled' them?

Yes Sir.They actually came back a couple of times but I am yet to get arrested and charged to court as "the celebrant" according to their last notice. grin
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Biggyd2: 9:41am On Aug 07, 2012
Please DO NOT give in to these miscreants. It would be nice if you have evidence to show that this party was held inside your compound. And do have a lawyer on hand. It is time NIgerians start fighting for their rights.
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Bluemoon1(f): 2:08am On Aug 08, 2012
i don laff tire...@OP just pay them before they will come in the night to collect it o
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by ODB2: 2:13am On Aug 08, 2012
Lagos State! Why do people still live there?
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by ODB2: 2:17am On Aug 08, 2012
blank: Sorry to burst your bubble but it is a legal fee by the LGA.

so now you have to pay to celebrate your own child's birthday in your house?

Because it was levied doesn't make it legal.

A Judge once ruled on the illegality of LASTMA fines.

OP, BONE THEM.
Nah them go tire
Re: Meriment And Celebration Fee - For Having A Party In Your Own Compound by Dareomo(m): 3:31pm On Feb 04, 2017
Just follow the Law, do what the La says. Yoruba adage says Iran abani da kii bani debe (those who advise against the Law will never stay with you when the Law is taking its cause).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction / Supporters Hospitalised As Kwara APC Factions Clash / How Funsho Williams Was Killed. (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.