Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest (12278 Views)

NASS Crisis: APC Trying To Disunite Nigerians, Rep Agbede / How Jonathan Plot To Rig Election. How Nigeria Police Stood Their Ground / National Conference:Goodluck Jonathan's Plot To Secede From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Eziachi: 4:10pm On May 29, 2012
nerodenero: Let us be sincere here.The yorubas had over yrs been bittered at the way OBJ's administration had overlooked or failed to recognise MKO Abiola's contribution to democracy.For me,we might not be too happy with GEJ's administration or that he named UNILAG after him but I think this recognition is long overdue.

Going by the same line of sincerity, the Yorubas as you said had been clamouring for the recognition of Abiola contribution towards Nigerian version of democracy but if am not mistaken too, to be fair to them, it had always been on the line of recognising June 12 as the real democratic day in Nigeria rather than the one that recognised the day the rogue Obasanjo took office and it has been the same line towed by Jonathan and his government till this day.

In my opinion, you cannot hate and treat that phrase "June 12" with disdain, only to then turned around and pretend to like or recognised Abiola. If I said to an American friend here in London that today is June 12 day in Nigeria, he is more likely to ask what happened on June 12 and through my explanation, the person now will more likely to know better about Abiola than to name an established institution after him.

If Jonathan wanted to genuinely recognise Abiola, how much consultation did he have with his close associates in NADECO/AFENIFERE?
I am not saying that he didn't but it will be interesting to know. But my hunch about Nigeria, told me that this is politics of divide and rule, nothing more or just the usual ineptness/emptiness of Nigerian ruling establishment.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Demdem(m): 4:10pm On May 29, 2012
cantell:
You guys are making noise for nothing. The name has been changed and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
grin grin

U don't know what u are talking about. Enwerem university was named back as soon as a new govt came to town. I forsee the same fate for UNILAG in the nearest future. The retardeens legacy will be expunged.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by member479760: 4:12pm On May 29, 2012
komole: JONATHAN's PLAN TO DISUNITE THE SOUTH WEST

Well, enough of the Jokes about the change of the University of Lagos to Moshood Abiola University.

I could be a very comical person but also very realistic in thoughts. After the jokes and funfair about the change in name, it kept me thinking deep and coming up with the conclusion this is nothing but a POLITICAL CUNFUSION plot targeted at the Southwestern Region of the Country.

Its a fact that Boko Haram is more political than religion to bring about the disunity of the Northern Region.

Now the name change of the University was announced knowing Politicians, Professionals and Students (who comprises majority of the population) will condemn and protest against the action. This is a plot to create a division amongst the Yorubas and make it look like they don't appreciate one of their own in person of Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola the acclaimed winner of the June 12 1993 Presidential Election. Even though he is termed an "hero" by past and present politicians across Nigeria.

The Question is why University of Lagos? Why was it not the National Theatre, National Museum, Bar Beach, Third Mainland Bridge or any other National Edifice Named after him?

Don't forget this present administration looks at the North and South West as their major critic and as such will do anything to disunite their "common thoughts"

Jonathan and his Government want to play on the intelligence of people by pretending they have good intentions when in reality they do not.

this is the type of analysis killed our development - what concern you OP, students, profs with name change. let the students get their pali get out of the place and the profs get their paycheck and continue your job. we have more to worry about.

If the students are so responsible and think about the future, All this year graduates nation wide should all go energy companies to serve with strong coordination, plan and implement immediate change or otherwise non should go for any service. can dey do it?
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by juman(m): 4:15pm On May 29, 2012
otokx: This is all so funny how easily we get distracted from the real issues in Nigeria.

You get it.

Government push this to them to have something to discuss on and divert their mind from discussing the achievement of government over the last one year. Oh oh government. grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Eziachi: 4:16pm On May 29, 2012
stebell: Peeps pls dont forget dat de university is a federal university funded by de federal govt. So de govt of de day can decide to change its name whenever it chooses. So pls stop hating GEJ.
So who or what is a federal govt? an unknown ghost?
Or is federal govt not the people as well? Some of you make me laugh grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by lookmangiw(m): 4:17pm On May 29, 2012
Alxmyr: How does renaming UNILAG disunite southwest?
Was SW inited before? Or is it because 5 governors are from ACN?
If that is your yardstick, then you are wrong from the word start.

There is nothing to disunite. SW is already disunite.
GEJ is only making a national hero whom every leader at the central has denied a truly national hero.
there is no tribe as united as the yoruba presently. even within you Bleep.ing tribe, you guys are still seperated. so what are we saying
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Kk4(m): 4:18pm On May 29, 2012
GEJ's i.q is too low to have this kind of ideas.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by novaman: 4:22pm On May 29, 2012
@BEAF

I don't hate GEJ but I must be sincere with you I don't like him either, why is JUNE 12 not important to Jonathan or the PDP.. why is he trying to destroy a name built over several years in the name of politics, the polytechnic in Ogun state needs some Federal support, why not simply sicking serious fund to upgrade it to a university all in the name of honouring MKO.

It is not about the fact that UNILAG is Behind or the Yorubas don't like him, in your heart you know what GEJ is trying to do, its all politics, there are so many monumental edifice that could be upgraded to bear MKO that will not cause any problem... not Unilag. If it is accepted by all are we going to spend tax payers money to change the letterhead, website, billboards, banners or the image, that is when you will hear that the new website cost N5Billion, letterhead N750Million, image N2Billion etc

This is unacceptable because one morning you will tell us the name of the country has changed, or he can even sell the country to the Arabs by tomorrow without our knowledge.

Maybe if he had consulted the real stakeholders (the past and present student) all this protect would not happen; if he wants to flex muscle maybe he should start with Boko Haram, that is a good match.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 29, 2012
GEJ is confused. This leads to confusion. In my alma mater, OAU in February during the unveiling of our 50th anniversary logo, those that graduated from 1965 to 1986 said they are products of University of Ife while those of us who graduated from 1987 to 2011 said were are products of OAU.
This is bad especially as the UNILAG community is still mourning their late VC.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by akoraye(m): 4:32pm On May 29, 2012
@alj harem,
Ive not insulted GEJ, I only asked of what I didnt know! ok?
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Beaf: 4:35pm On May 29, 2012
novaman: @BEAF

I don't hate GEJ but I must be sincere with you I don't like him either, why is JUNE 12 not important to Jonathan or the PDP.. why is he trying to destroy a name built over several years in the name of politics, the polytechnic in Ogun state needs some Federal support, why not simply sicking serious fund to upgrade it to a university all in the name of honouring MKO.

It is not about the fact that UNILAG is Behind or the Yorubas don't like him, in your heart you know what GEJ is trying to do, its all politics, there are so many monumental edifice that could be upgraded to bear MKO that will not cause any problem... not Unilag. If it is accepted by all are we going to spend tax payers money to change the letterhead, website, billboards, banners or the image, that is when you will hear that the new website cost N5Billion, letterhead N750Million, image N2Billion etc

This is unacceptable because one morning you will tell us the name of the country has changed, or he can even sell the country to the Arabs by tomorrow without our knowledge.

Maybe if he had consulted the real stakeholders (the past and present student) all this protect would not happen; if he wants to flex muscle maybe he should start with Boko Haram, that is a good match.

There are already a few federal universities named after individuals. Unlig is far from the first, for example we have, Ahmadu Bello University, Obafemi Awolowo University, Bayero University, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University etc.

The simple truth is that ACN people find it embarrassing since they define themselves as an ethnic group (rather than a national party) and feel wrongfooted because they have done absolutely nothing to immortalise the name of Abiola. Its just embarrassed politicians venting because they have been exposed as not very caring.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by MrGlobe(m): 4:39pm On May 29, 2012
lookmangiw:
there is no tribe as united as the yoruba presently. even within you Bleep.ing tribe, you guys are still seperated. so what are we saying
what we are saying is that you should keep quiet. If you are united like you said, why did your elders go to aso rock to collect parcels and betray same Abiola? Maybe unity for you is ACN but you will one day realize how retrogressive it is and how one man hoodwinked your entire tribe.
Moreso MAY 29 remains the official democracy day. Workers will be working on June 12. You guys are asking for too much.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Demdem(m): 4:47pm On May 29, 2012
For anyone to say ACN has done nothing for Abiola is plain silly. Lagos itself has major roads named after him, even his slain wife, kudirat has. Ogun has a stadium, poly and major roads after this icon. I won't be surprise if its the same in other ACN states. Besides June 12 is still celebrated and even a public holiday in lagos. Foools will always go tribal. We do know them.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by MrGlobe(m): 4:47pm On May 29, 2012
Beaf:
The simple truth is that ACN people find it embarrassing since they define themselves as an ethnic group (rather than a national party) and feel wrongfooted because they have done absolutely nothing to immortalise the name of Abiola. Its just embarrassed politicians venting because they have been exposed as not very caring.
you are a f/cking liar. If the ACN governors does not want to immortalize Abiola which is in immediate domain, why then does jonathan want to cry more than the bereaved if that does not mean extending a hand to yerobas because of the insecure man he is. Are there not more pressing issues in the country? The democratic corruption.. Boko Haram and so massively on. Why is he tribalizing and disparaging the office of the president?
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:49pm On May 29, 2012
Look at how these goats are calling the president names in the name of protest!!!! Lack of home bringing!!
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by ChibuzoIkenna(m): 4:51pm On May 29, 2012
ekt_bear: Moreover, practically speaking.

Would you want your CV to have:

Bachelors of Science, University of Lagos

or

Bachelors of Science, Moshood Abiola University, Lagos

Which sounds more prestigious to you?

So they've devalued the brand name of the university, and hurt the graduates of that school.

I have nothing against MKO. I was too young to know much about the guy, but he seemed like a nice-enough fellow.

But I don't like this move, personally.

@poster, you r shamefully disrespectful... Mr Abiola is your mate abi... Smh
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by ChibuzoIkenna(m): 4:54pm On May 29, 2012
Everyone hauling words @ GEJ my advise to them is GET A LIFE or betterstill 2015 is around †ђξ corner, buy a form

See Lasgosians going GAGA....smh
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by mamaafrik(m): 5:06pm On May 29, 2012
I'm a Maulagite,sound damn hot u knw,.. like otapiapia.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by OluBendel: 5:09pm On May 29, 2012
This is an opportunity to further strenghten our laws and make it such that the processes for naming public institutions are carefully guided (with legislative assent,if need be) so as not to insult the sensibilities/sentiments of the people no matter how well intended.Naming of public institutions be it schools, stadium, streets, townships etc are expected to reflect accepted sentiments without the acrimony this case is generating.Afterall a stadium is Kano is named after Sani Abacha, despite his deeds,and his people are ok with it, Buba Marwa gardens renamed MKO Abiola garden too.GEJ should carry the citizenry along and show more sensitivity in issues as this, so his intentions are not misinterpreted unduely.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Ufeolorun(m): 5:19pm On May 29, 2012
Akanbi_edu: Not to worry, they are basically village people. Nigeria is too complex for them to manage. They will eventually self-destruct.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Ikengawo: 5:35pm On May 29, 2012

everyone claiming you can't rename it because of it's prestige is a joke. Look at the way these yoruba kids spell '4life'....wtf is '4live'? lol
pathetic. Is this the prestige we're talking about? stop celebrating failure, the school in an international disgrace. These kids wouldn't
pass an entrance exam to a school in Congo and now they're prestigious in the name of GEJ bashing. prestigious 4 live nko?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 29, 2012
mamaafrik: I'm a Maulagite,sound damn hot u knw,.. like otapiapia.
UP MAULAGITES.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 29, 2012
GREATEST MAULAGITES
GREATEST TO THE GREATEST MAULAGITES......
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Pataki: 5:54pm On May 29, 2012
Baba nla ashiwere ni omo ti won pe ni beaf yi sha!

Is Unilag under the administration of ACN? Abi iru dindinrin apoda eniyan wo ni e ke?

Has ACN affiliated themselves with the ideologies of MKO? If your foolish president truly believes in the struggle of MKO towards to road to the democracy, why not name the National Assembly building in MKO's name, and let us see if he would be able to eat his one million naira evening meal in peace tonight?!

Olodo omo oshi.

Like beaf, like goodluck.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by kutchs: 6:20pm On May 29, 2012
Anyone who doesnt like the name change should look for otapiapia mix it with conc acid and swallow it, it will surely calm him down. Federal govt owns UNILAG, it decides its fate aint nada u can do about it.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by edogirl2: 6:39pm On May 29, 2012
Will the name change devalue the brand, probably
Is it a sacrifice worth making for Abiola's immortalisation, yes

One question that remains is why is Mr Jonathan such a weak man? Why did he not go for the <June 12 public holiday option. What a master stroke that will have been for his PR? Oh...I forgot, he's afraid of the northerners. Shame
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by Nobody: 6:49pm On May 29, 2012
edo.girl:
Will the name change devalue the brand, probably
Is it a sacrifice worth making for Abiola's immortalisation, yes

One question that remains is why is Mr Jonathan such a weak man? Why did he not go for the <June 12 public holiday option. What a master stroke that will have been for his PR? Oh...I forgot, he's afraid of the northerners. Shame

only the SW will be ok with june 12 holiday,other zones will reject it outright.nigeria is a divided geographical entity in case youv forgotten.by the way,june 12 is already being marked as holiday in SW depending on which political party or personalities are in power.
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by IYANGBALI: 7:11pm On May 29, 2012
the whole thing is about PDP winning the south west in 2015
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by owendei(m): 7:27pm On May 29, 2012
Akanbi_edu: This may not be a plot but . . . . it is highly anticipated by political observers that if Jonathan wants to contest for 2015 presidential elections (most likely the case), he will try to destabilize the SW. This expectation is based on experience.
experience ma ass. @poster i think u nid a psychology test. fools!
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by warrior101: 7:44pm On May 29, 2012
ekt_bear:

Loving MKO doesn't mean that UNILAG should be renamed after him.

Bill Clinton is pretty popular among democrats and democratic-leaning states.

Did anybody decide to rename Harvard after him? undecided

The problem is that Nigerians enjoy mixing politics up into everything. That MKO was a great politician, etc, etc doesn't mean he needs to have a university named after him...

Let alone one of the oldest and most prestigious/popular universities in Nigeria.

Dude leave american cliton out... This is a nigerian thing. Beside if bill is still alive there isnt cause to immorlize his name..
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by publisher(m): 7:45pm On May 29, 2012
[size=13pt]Here are my thoughts. The PDP has never been favorably disposed to immortalizing MKO Abiola,though the SW opposition has always demanded for it. But now,FG has gone ahead to rename UNILAG after MKO, knowing fully well that the opposition, ACN and co will protest against it. I 'think' government will still end up reversing this decision after which they will sit back and see who will ever mention the 'immortalization of MKO Abiola' again. The only unfortunate truth here is that MKO's status as a national hero is still debatable amongst other Nigerian regions outside the SouthWest,thus the naming of a major national monument in Abuja after him may never fly.[/size]
Re: Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest by flexya: 7:53pm On May 29, 2012
Are there no lawyers, previous or present legislators on this Forum? The University of Lagos would av been created by an Act of Parliament/National Assembly. In that law would av been a section that reads something like, "It shall be known as the University of Lagos". Any deviation or proposed change 2 that name would require an amendment 2 that law. What GEJ or the executive av done(or proposed 2 av done) is ultra vires (beyond their power) and invalid in the eye of the law. Any 200 level law student should know this and can approach the court. Simple. Why all the stress and protest?

This is not the same as renamin a third mainland bridge, which would not av been established through an Act of parliament bt merely thru budget provisions in the appropriation law.
Personally, I think Abiola is more deservin of havin a nationl edifice renamed after him. An edifice/structure which is not seen as belongin 2 a group of nigerians or tribe. UNILAG is seen as belongin 2 lagosians/yorubas. Abuja airport was named after ZIK, a igbo man in recognition of his national status. A national stadium, national theatre, Seaport etc would be better, if we truly believed Abiola is a key player in the road 2 todays democracy. A real national hero.

Like most previous authors, I also fail 2 see how this is meant 2 disunite the yorubas. Might create discord between the pro and anti Abiolas bt dats not limited 2 the SouthWest or did Abiola only win in the SW?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' / APGA Moves To Recover Okorocha's Mandate Through Court / Wike Meets First Lady In Plan To Set Up Directorate For Women Affairs In FCT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.