Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? (4493 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / Which Light Ruled The Earth Before The Fourth Day Of Creation? / Did God Create Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by LogicMind: 9:09am On Jun 02, 2012
Image123: For posterity sake as it were,

Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

It should be noted that Genesis 1 talks about the history of the earth, or better still, the universe, not an history of God. God has always existed forever, for all eternity. Angels existed too, and Heaven(i.e God's dwelling place) existed. god is Light, and there was light in Heaven. So Genesis 1 is not the first time God would 'see' light or create light. the creation of light in this passage is with respect to the darkness found in earth/the universe. this light came as a result of the darkness, and was used to demarcate light from darkness.

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Gen 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
Gen 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
Gen 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

these new group of lighting was a process of assigning the sun, the moon and the stars to be in charge of giving light to the earth and heavens/universe. The night here is not complete darkness, as there is a lesser light to rule the night. it's an improvement and delegation on the previous framework and foundation of creation of earth.

If I uderstand you well, on the first day god created light in general. then on the fourth day he assigned missions to these lights.
right?
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by mrmayor(m): 7:25pm On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:

If I uderstand you well, on the first day god created light in general. then on the fourth day he assigned missions to these lights.
right?

Question is what KIND of LIGHT was created on the First Day? The Light Was Day and the Dark was Night.

Assigning Missions to Light is exactly not creation is it? The Sun(actually a star), Moon and Stars were created on the fourth day.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by LogicMind: 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2012
mrmayor:

Question is what KIND of LIGHT was created on the First Day? The Light Was Day and the Dark was Night.

Assigning Missions to Light is exactly not creation is it? The Sun(actually a star), Moon and Stars were created on the fourth day.

ok i got you

day one he created day & night
day 4 he created sun, moon and stars.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by mrmayor(m): 8:03pm On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:

ok i got you

day one he created day & night
day 4 he created sun, moon and stars.

No Sir you did not get me, going by the bible story Light was created twice, first on the first day and called Day and Night. On the fourth day Light was created again only this time Energy emitting Star ( Our Sun)and Moon were created. Distinction between Day and Night is Sun Light.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by LogicMind: 8:29pm On Jun 02, 2012
mrmayor:

No Sir you did not get me, going by the bible story Light was created twice, first on the first day and called Day and Night. On the fourth day Light was created again only this time Energy emitting Star ( Our Sun)and Moon were created. Distinction between Day and Night is Sun Light.

you were making a bit of sense before but this time i'm most confused.
there are two types of light? or did god do the same thing twice? was the day one light faulty?
your explanation is not clear.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:55pm On Jun 07, 2012
Let us step aside from reading the Bible "As is" The First Light could be the Big Bang that wrought the Universe(s) as we don't know it. After all a being like God would not need light to see since all he needed to do was harbor the thought and it came to being. Energy was the First Light
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by LogicMind: 1:43pm On Jun 07, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: Let us step aside from reading the Bible "As is" The First Light could be the Big Bang that wrought the Universe(s) as we don't know it. After all a being like God would not need light to see since all he needed to do was harbor the thought and it came to being. Energy was the First Light

ah! the first light is not light as the bible calls it but actually... ehm...infact anything we want it to be?
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by Image123(m): 3:15pm On Jun 07, 2012
Logic Mind:

right?
Partially, only that God did not 'create' light on the first day. He only made it appear by speaking the Word.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by tpia5: 11:19pm On Jun 13, 2012
cool cool
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by Goshen360(m): 4:13pm On Jun 28, 2012
@ Logic Mind,

I told you I will not give you answer because you are one of those that mock and don't believe in our God. So why come to us for an answer? I don't like to jump into Atheist's thread, that is why you won't often see me in a thread by an Atheist but you can as well be following side-by-side with this your own thread from this other thread: https://www.nairaland.com/976020/why-many-even-bible-scholars. They both are relevant.

@ Image123,

Nice explanation BUT I might spice it up very well ONLY if this "yeye" Logic Mind will STOP mocking our God and convert to Christianity and possible send me an Apostolic offerings shocked grin grin grin Abi Oga Image123, we suppose start dey collect Apostolic offerings from ALL these Atheists for explaining the things of our God they often mock. What you think? Make I explain to them or let them keep searching What do you think grin
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by Image123(m): 5:23pm On Jun 28, 2012
Why you dey shine teeth ehn Gosh, you dey advert close up? lol. If you have anything edifying to say go ahead, dem talk say ghost user, sorry sorry silent reader plenti for nl.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by Goshen360(m): 9:17pm On Jun 28, 2012
Image123: Why you dey shine teeth ehn Gosh, you dey advert close up? lol. If you have anything edifying to say go ahead, dem talk say ghost user, sorry sorry silent reader plenti for nl.

No mind that Goshen guy, na so so teeth he like to dey shine.....maybe na 'cos him teeth too white and he dey do advert ni. Anyway, I will because of you my brother Image123 answer them these "yeye" Atheists and for the sake of other believers on board. I will respond verse by verse from Gen.1, maybe tomorrow. Got hands full today already. Thanks.

~ I no wan shine teeth again, make camera no go catch me this time, lolz ~.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by aletheia(m): 10:51am On Jun 29, 2012
Certain topics will always repeat. . .

From much earlier on NL:

vedaxcool:

And again the source of Light the sun could not come after the formation of the earth as the sun is believed scientifically to have been the place of origin of the earth, in other words the sun is believd to have ejected Materials used in the formation of the earth. geneisis is just another big blunder of the Jews, as God could not tbe responsible for this mistake.
Science believes what science believes, but the Word of Yahweh is sure, settled and established forever! Just a little thought on your part would have shown you that even your science agrees that light exists apart from and is distinct from the sun.

aletheia:

If you weren't in such a haste to disprove the bible, application of a little common sense would have shown you the invalidity of your assertion above.
The sun gives light, yes, but is the sun the only source of light? The account is quite clear that light was created on the first day and in no way gives the impression that the sun is the source of that light.Indeed the Hebrew makes the distinction clear by using different words in verse 3 and 16 albeit translated as light in English. In verse 3: אור ('ôr); illumination or (concretely) luminary: - bright, clear, + day, light (-ning) and in verse 16: מארה מאורה מאר מאור (mâ'ôr mâ'ôr me'ôrâh me'ôrâh); properly a luminous body or luminary.

Thus you see that modern science agrees with the bible when it makes a distinction between light and the sun:
grin

Wikipedia:
Light is electromagnetic radiation of a wavelength that is visible to the human eye (in a range from about 380 or 400 nanometres to about 760 or 780 nm).[1] In physics, the term light sometimes refers to electromagnetic radiation of any wavelength, whether visible or not.

Wikipedia:
The Sun is the star at the center of the Solar System. . .The energy of this sunlight supports almost all life on Earth by photosynthesis, and drives Earth's climate and weather.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by Goshen360(m): 4:15pm On Jul 02, 2012
You can also view/read my contribution as it relates to this thread from: https://www.nairaland.com/976020/why-many-even-bible-scholars.

Thank you.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by DeepSight(m): 4:50pm On Jul 02, 2012
aletheia: Certain topics will always repeat. . .

From much earlier on NL:

Science believes what science believes, but the Word of Yahweh is sure, settled and established forever! Just a little thought on your part would have shown you that even your science agrees that light exists apart from and is distinct from the sun.

Thank you Aleth.

Sometimes it seems to me that depth of thought is only to be found amongst much older members of this forum. Sorry to say that though. Might come across bad. Just the way it seems. This thread has been piffled with nonsense until Aleth came along.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by aletheia(m): 2:13pm On Jul 05, 2012
Deep Sight:

Thank you Aleth.
Thank you for the kind words. . .it does seem that the quality of posts in the religious section has declined. As you rightly pointed out: lacking in depth.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by InesQor(m): 2:14am On Jul 06, 2012
I always saw the "Light" in verse 3 as an "enablement" or "framework" prior to other things existing. Like the way you turn on an electric light switch to "enable" you see and do other things.

But here goes Aletheia:

aletheia: Certain topics will always repeat. . .
light exists apart from and is distinct from the sun.

Aha, I can't but agree. Nothing more may really need to be said.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by Goshen360(m): 5:44am On Jul 06, 2012
InesQor: I always saw the "Light" in verse 3 as an "enablement" or "framework" prior to other things existing. Like the way you turn on an electric light switch to "enable" you see and do other things.

The above is NOT true with/about God for God who created the darkness and the light sees even in the dark/darkness. He does need light to "enable" Him see and do what He wants to do. He only created that light in Gen.1:3 to prove He is the source of light and to make day/night - First day.

Daniel 2:22 He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.

Yea, the darkness hides not from you; but the night shines as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to you. Ps.139:12 Kjv
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by InesQor(m): 7:15am On Jul 06, 2012
@Goshen360:

Thanks for sharing your views, just as I shared mine.

I used "enable" within quotes because there was no other word to explain what I was trying to describe.

Maybe a better way to say it would have been "laying a foundation for things to come".

Anyways, as I already said, BUT Aletheia already answered better than I could have.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by Image123(m): 5:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
witch doctor from the living dead.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by johnw74: 2:29am On Dec 06, 2014
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

heaven = space, universe.

Could it be that the light of genesis 1:3 is the Light of God. God gave His light to the world.

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Gen 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
Gen 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
Gen 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

In verse one God created the heaven and He gave His light to the world, verse 3.
Now in verse 14 God is putting lights in heaven, the sun moon and stars.
Verse 1 God created the heaven, verse 14 God puts lights inthe heaven, sun moon and stars.

In the beginning the light of the world was God until He made the sun moon and stars, in the end the light of the world will again be God.

Rev 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
Rev 21:24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

Rev 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by tpiadotcom: 4:51pm On Nov 20, 2015
The reason for the confusion about the verses quoted is most of the posters are factoring in a 24 hour time frame of night and day, ie using an earth-centric pov to examine genesis.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by nlPoster: 5:17am On Sep 17, 2019
johnw74:
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

heaven = space, universe.

Could it be that the light of genesis 1:3 is the Light of God. God gave His light to the world.

In verse one God created the heaven and He gave His light to the world, verse 3.
Now in verse 14 God is putting lights in heaven, the sun moon and stars.
Verse 1 God created the heaven, verse 14 God puts lights inthe heaven, sun moon and stars.

In the beginning the light of the world was God until He made the sun moon and stars, in the end the light of the world will again be God.

Rev 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
Rev 21:24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

Rev 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by Dantedasz(m): 8:09am On Sep 17, 2019
grin grin

This thread is hilarious. The more they wriggle,the tighter the noose....

cheers01.... grin
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by tpiander: 9:05am On Sep 17, 2019
Dantedasz:
grin grin

This thread is hilarious. The more they wriggle,the tighter the noose....

cheers01.... grin

I think it's the same person going around with different user ids trying to throw underhand jabs: noose, thief, your mama smelling pussy like dead rat, etc.

Grow up, stop giving Nigeria a bad name, doesn't make you look good.

This person watches for my posts, then says something idiotic.

Probably the same one who cloned my moniker and also the one searching for husband, so called.

Desperation sha.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by Dantedasz(m): 9:54am On Sep 17, 2019
tpiander:

I think it's the same person going around with different user ids trying to throw underhand jabs: noose, thief, your mama smelling pussy like dead rat, etc.

Grow up, stop giving Nigeria a bad name, doesn't make you look good.

This person watches for my posts, then says something idiotic.

Probably the same one who cloned my moniker and also the one searching for husband, so called.

Desperation sha.

Tpia is BACK!!! grin grin grin
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by tpiander: 9:55am On Sep 17, 2019
Not again. undecided

This is why I can't be a celebrity.

I don't smile when I'm feeling annoyed.
Re: Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? by LordReed(m): 3:17pm On Sep 17, 2019
Come to think of it how can there be day and night without the sun?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Didn't God Forgive Adam And Eve / Explaining Bible Contradiction. / I Want To Be The Anti-christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.