Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,745 members, 7,820,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

So They Never Really Loved MKO - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So They Never Really Loved MKO (17648 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / MKO Abiola: How He Died - Dr Ore Falomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 12:42am On May 31, 2012

[size=18pt]"I wish to let you know that the news of the change of the name of the university took us by surprise because no consultations were held with us.
https://www.nairaland.com/950628/renaming-unilag-surprise-acting-v.c
[/size]

may 29th was a true irony.

How do you go about renaming a university without consulting the head of the school? Without even consulting the students.

Democracy is about the people, is it not?

Is UniLag FG owned?

I hope the SW remembers this when 2015 comes. . . .
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by PapaBrowne(m): 12:50am On May 31, 2012
koruji: What you are seeing is not what your provocative title suggests.

What you are seeing in the protests can be described as the "curse of the familiar". A large number of people have an attachement to the name "University of Lagos", and it is inconsiderate of the president to rename it without consultation, even the VC did not know about it - we are not running a military government here. The same cannot be said about places like an airport - few people, especially those who rarely use it, have attachments to the name on an airport carries. Not the same for a university.

Besides, SW'ers do not all sleep with their heads in the same direction. The variety of opinion is a mark of SW'ers. So, because some people protested does not immediately lead to your jump-the-gun conclusion about "Most SW'ers".

I personally have no opinion on the change of name. I do have doubts about President GEJ's motive, but that is based on his behavior over the last few months. He, like his predecessors, are only after political gain - unfortunately this gesture doesn't do him any real favors in the SW - away with token gestures while you deliver "Coastal Patrol" to your ex-kinsman militants. It is this kind of behavior that reveals where the man is headed - a brutal dictator if Nigerians don't hold him to account each and every day.

Finally, you said MAU doesn't sound good - well that is only temporary, it is new. I recall that many of then students of OAU did not like the renaming of University of Ife to OAU, but what do you know, that name is now carried proudly everywhere as in "Oba Awon University" grin grin grin

I foresee the students of MAU carrying this university name with pride as in "Mother of All Universities" a few years hence. Meanwhile, please stop casting aspersions on ethnic nationalities as if your ethnic group is any better.

First I agree with majority of your speech except for some few areas. Secondly, I didn't cast any aspersions on any ethnicities. The last I checked the South West is a geographical location populated by a myraid of ethnicities. So which one in particular did I cast an aspersion upon?
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 12:57am On May 31, 2012
Hmmmmmmm...
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 1:00am On May 31, 2012
The same people that say SW constitute 60-70 % Igbos are the same people hounding tribal rant
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 1:07am On May 31, 2012
ha ha..... grin grin grin grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 1:09am On May 31, 2012
LOL grin grin grin grin Make I join you laff na wink grin grin grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 1:09am On May 31, 2012
baboon they work monkey dey chop

One day Baboon go vex kill monkey. fact grin grin grin grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 1:15am On May 31, 2012
hmmmmmmm........ wink
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 1:16am On May 31, 2012
My brother make we relax and enjoy the show wink smiley
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 1:18am On May 31, 2012
What do you mean?..... tongue
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 1:32am On May 31, 2012
C'mon don't be like that, you know exactly what I mean wink
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by koruji(m): 1:43am On May 31, 2012
OK, point taken. Although I do believe my interpretation was correct, we 'll let sleeping dogs sleep.

PapaBrowne:
First I agree with majority of your speech except for some few areas. Secondly, I didn't cast any aspersions on any ethnicities. The last I checked the South West is a geographical location populated by a myraid of ethnicities. So which one in particular did I cast an aspersion upon?
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 1:52am On May 31, 2012
tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by tpia5: 2:42am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

Nobody gives a damn about the ethnicies of responsible Nigerians. If all you see is ethnic group, then you have a serious problem.

shut up you m.oron.

when you were posting s.tupid pictures of your village and terming them ilaje, you gave a damn about ethnicity then.

oniranu jatijati.

as per your senseless post- THE WHOLE WORLD knows its always the yorubas who sing one love like eni ti won fun ni nkan je.

when the southwest led the t shirt march to install gej in power, of course you wouldnt see ethnicity then.

when obasanjo put gej in aso rock, you didnt see his ethnicity then.

bozo.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 2:46am On May 31, 2012
tpia@:

shut up you m.oron.

when you were posting s.tupid pictures of your village and terming them ilaje, you gave a damn about ethnicity then.

oniranu jatijati.

as per your senseless post- THE WHOLE WORLD knows its always the yorubas who sing one love like eni ti won fun ni nkan je.

when the southwest led the t shirt march to install gej in power, of course you wouldnt see ethnicity then.

bozo.

Is the obvious and well known descrimination against the Ilaje's (which you think people are blind to) what is causing your pain about [size=14pt]Maulag?[/size]
Looks like you are all about ethnicity and no sense or morals.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by tpia5: 2:50am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

Is the obvious and well known descrimination against the Ilaje's (which you think people are blind to) what is causing your pain about Maulag?
Looks like you are all about ethnicity and no sense or morals.

[size=14pt]^^bozo!!!!
[/size]

tpia@:
why couldnt he name this university in his hometown, abiola university?:

http://www.fuotuoke.edu.ng/
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 2:55am On May 31, 2012
^
Why did you parachute Ilaje matters into the topic? Was it pangs of guilt at their descrimination, or the fact that Bariga is near [size=18pt]MAULAG?[/size]
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by papatosibe: 5:47am On May 31, 2012
tpia@:

shut up you m.oron.

oniranu jatijati.

bozo.

So OBJ put GEJ in asorock? I thought we voted him in, no? But what do I know. This is Nairaland where fiction, fantasies, wishful thinking, bad dreams, and psychotic thoughts are often forced down our throat be a desperate, half-educated inarticulate few.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by lastpage: 5:54am On May 31, 2012
fortyfeet: yorubaman, you can see how they are, very unstable. if i'm a yoruba, i'll go hang myself for reasons of coming from an unfortunate tribe. in any case, i still feel pity for the family and encourage them to bear with the situation as it can't change.

@lastpage
i belong to the Abiola's family because the spontaneous manner of opposition shows very bold and clear that all those struggle (1992) was for democracy only and not both democracy and love for Abiola.
Stop fooling yourself! The below is where you belong, judging from what you have been Posting! grin grin
Compare the highlighted parts! wink

2.) Those who hate the Yorubas: This group of people know in their heart that the "re-branding" is totally stewpid but they would not say so. Instead, they are prodding "Yorubas" to say so or say something in the line of "Abiola's name is not fit and proper". Meanwhile, they "TWIST the argument" against the name change, to imply that Yorubas have no respect for Abiola's legacy ...and thus are "bad people"!
They are mostly Igbos (not all Igbos, mind you) that are still consumed by their hatred for Yorubas (for whatever reason) and you can see it from their post! There is nothing you can do about them....a lost cause!
At least you can see why l described people like you, "a lost cause"! grin grin
When GEJ finally reverses himself, l will like your types to find a very old and rusty Transformer (those old NEPA types that use mercury! grin ) ...and give it a warm hug on a rainy day! tongue

Take am easy with your hatred of Yorubas, it can cause you diarrhea and jedi-jedi! grin

Lastpage!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 6:06am On May 31, 2012
^
GEJ reverse himself? You got joke, bro! grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by lastpage: 6:14am On May 31, 2012
edicolove: Again, the joke is on ya'll. You call someone daft, yet he keeps outwitting you and coming out tops everytime. He has dispelled every discent and keeps forging on and you still think you are smarter. The smart MAU students will go home, stay for six montha and come back and answer the name.

In any conflict, the first law of engagement is "never underestimate your foe". You lot keep breaking this rule to your own peril. You keep underestimating GEJ and calling him names. Yet he keeps threading paths his predecessors avoided like a plague: electoral reform, FOI bill, official secrets act, fuel subsidy removal, PHCN privatisation and now MAU. Yet you keep saying he is daft.

It reminds me of the story of the Chicken and the Duck. The mother hawk sent her children to get food. They caught a little duckling and brought it back to mother hawk. Mother hawk asked them, "what did the mother duck say?" They said, "she said nothing". So mother hawk asked them to return the duckling. Then they went and caught a little chick and brought her to mother hawk. Mother asked again, "what did the mother chicken say?" They said, "she was shouting and swearing and cursing". So she said "good. Let's eat. The mother chicken has done her worst".

The lesson of the story! Continue to call GEJ daft to your peril! Fingers crossed!
I like this your analogy so much!
All l can say is Muchas Gracias!! kiss kiss

But wait o.......this is about GEJ, right?

Have you ever heard of the cliche that goes like "Those whom the Gods are about to destroy, they first make them deaf (to any reasonable advice) and dumb"? (figuratively speaking.......am not saying God wan destroy the Presido o! grin )

Let him keep "outwitti[b][/b]ng himself" and doing things that his predecessors dare not do after all, another cliches say "When a drum continually produces a high-pitched sound, its is just a wee-second away from tearing"!!

Shior, "Plantain is Rotting, dem say e dey Ripe"! grin grin grin
Kai, dis people no go kill persin with all these apt cliches!
(rolls on the floor and gives off a big fart!)

I would have told you the story of "The Tortoise and the Elephant" but l guess you would know it if really you were out of diapers (unlike DK, as you say) in the early 70's. wink wink

Okay, lets see: Complete the song...."A o'merin jo'oba".... shocked :
Seems this GEJ is the Elephant!

hehehhe,l just dey laugh like OBJ!

Lastpage!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by lastpage: 6:19am On May 31, 2012
Beaf: ^
GEJ reverse himself? You got joke, bro! grin
Dont worry Beaf, thats just my opinion.
Let us keep our fingers crossed.
Time will tell.

Lastpage!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Tattooboy: 7:42am On May 31, 2012
CyberG: I hope this useless move which is only purely political is turned down and litigated in court. I think MKO deserves a real big time immortalization for his sacrifice but not UNILAG. Lagos is such a brand name that people who have never even been to Africa or Lagos have heard good thing about it. They will always ask if you are from Lagos soon as they know you are Nigerian. UNILAG is one of the icons and brands recognized in foreign countries and what is the need to destroy the 50 year reputation by wiping out the brand?? I hope Jonseathan is thoroughly embarrassed in court and this name change is resisted now And in the future. If the fool wants to do anything for Nigeria, let him build something first and then rename it rather than reap where he did not sow! 
nice nickname & comment
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Pukkah: 8:21am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

Tell them, bro. We didn't get out on the streets to risk our lives for a man without essence.
MKO was a very great man that touched many lives in ways no individual has in the annals of Nigeria.

Correct!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by edicolove: 8:24am On May 31, 2012
Please, are Nigerian youths living in Lagos this daft? Hear their comments: "The move is a political move". "It is in bad taste". "He should have named something else". "He didn't make consultations". "UNILAG is a big brand, 50 years old". Gosh! They can't even understand the implication of their comments. Ok let me help their peanut brains.

What you are saying is:
1. Abiola and what he stands for is too small for such an honor.
2. They should have consulted us and of course we would have said no because the name UNILAG is more important than MKO and June 12 legacy.
3. We do not care about Abiola or June 12
4. We have a poor value system that celebrates emptiness and the fake life not democracy and freedoms.
5. We entered UNILAG because of how the name sounds, not because of what we intend to benefit academically

Countries and world cities have changed names from generation to generation. What is so special about a common university that no one cares about. And where have you ever heard that the government/owners need to ask the students of a university what they think before changing the name? Is that the book they went there to read? Gosh! The other states of Nigeria are just laughing at these stup1d 1diots! They have just spat on Abiola's grave with such impunity that the guy will be turning right now. The lesson is well learnt, never ever fight for Nigerians or lay down your life for them. They will sell you out for a bowl of ewa agoin!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 8:48am On May 31, 2012
dayokanu: [size=14pt]The struggle was for democracy and justice not for the man Abiola

If the winner of the annulled election had been Audu, Ajayi or Okonkwo the reaction would have been the same
[/size]
Similar to the reaction we got when Turai domesticated Retardeen jonathan and refused to hand over to him

People went out to fight for Jonathan regardless of which part of the country he came from

Tears of joy welling up . . . matter of fact, choking me sef!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Thank God there are those out there who went out on that day knowing full well that the struggle WAS NOT for Abiola but for Nigeria and the right of the people to vote who ever they want.
Imagine some ninnies trying to re-write history today just so they can claim some brownie point with a dead man, who probably dug his own grave to begin with. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by edicolove: 9:05am On May 31, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Tears of joy welling up . . . matter of fact, choking me sef!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Thank God there are those out there who went out on that day knowing full well that the struggle WAS NOT for Abiola but for Nigeria and the right of the people to vote who ever they want.
Imagine some ninnies trying to re-write history today just so they can claim some brownie point with a dead man, who probably dug his own grave to begin with. embarassed embarassed embarassed

It is nothing new really. The SW has always been known to betray even their own for a morsel of gbegiri. See how they have rubbished Abiola and June 12 for ever. The legacy wiped out in just 24 hours. What they do not realise however is that they are the real loosers here. Mark this day in history because we will make reference to it.

Simple question to live you lot with. If the fight was about democracy not Abiola, why did the rest of Nigeria conceed the presidency to the SW in 1999? If it wasnt about Abiola, it wouldn't have mattered that a SW person must lead then, would it? Abiola was the biggest leverage and bargain chip the SW had. Something even the then powerful north did not have an answer for. Now, they are laughing at you lot because you have thrown away a big leverage. The weight has finally been lifted from off their back. This is what you get when you give 1diots a computer and Internet connection

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 9:28am On May 31, 2012
edicolove:

It is nothing new really. The SW has always been known to betray even their own for a morsel of gbegiri. See how they have rubbished Abiola and June 12 for ever. The legacy wiped out in just 24 hours. What they do not realise however is that they are the real loosers here. Mark this day in history because we will make reference to it.

Simple question to live you lot with. If the fight was about democracy not Abiola, why did the rest of Nigeria conceed the presidency to the SW in 1999? If it wasnt about Abiola, it wouldn't have mattered that a SW person must lead then, would it? Abiola was the biggest leverage and bargain chip the SW had. Something even the then powerful north did not have an answer for. Now, they are laughing at you lot because you have thrown away a big leverage. The weight has finally been lifted from off their back. This is what you get when you give 1diots a computer and Internet connection

grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 9:35am On May 31, 2012
dayokanu: [size=14pt]The struggle was for democracy and justice not for the man Abiola

If the winner of the annulled election had been Audu, Ajayi or Okonkwo the reaction would have been the same
[/size]
Similar to the reaction we got when Turai domesticated Retardeen jonathan and refused to hand over to him

People went out to fight for Jonathan regardless of which part of the country he came from

It is a shame that there are young'ings who believe that the protests on June 12th 1993 only took place in the SW. A real shame to a nation this is. People in places like Kano, Aba, PortHarcourt, Jos, Enugu protested,but this all seems to be lost on those who cannot see past their ethnic bigotry. This is sad for a nation still struggling to develop it's democracy.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by nateevs(m): 9:40am On May 31, 2012
edicolove:

This has nothing to do with region, hero and what not but to do with 'brand and history'.
You cannot claim that Abiola to the SW is biiger than Winston Churchill to Britain.

What reaction do you think will emanate out of a knee-jerk action to rename Oxford or Cambridge University to the Wisnton Churchill University?

That's exactly what GEJ is doing here. Please note that I am not drawing any sort of parallels between Oxford and Unilag, I am just painting a picture of relative importance.

What happens if the the next government decides to change the name to Bola Tinubu University?
And then the one after changes it again. That's anarchy.
In order to forestall such, due process must be pursued.

Iconic Institutions, their traditions and history must be protected and exempt from radical changes.
Because people past and present identify with the brand, you cannot leave changes like these to the perceived interest of a powerful.
It's wrong.

PS: I never went to UNILAG and no member of my family did.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by edicolove: 10:22am On May 31, 2012
nateevs:

This has nothing to do with region, hero and what not but to do with 'brand and history'.
You cannot claim that Abiola to the SW is biiger than Winston Churchill to Britain.

What reaction do you think will emanate out of a knee-jerk action to rename Oxford or Cambridge University to the Wisnton Churchill University?

That's exactly what GEJ is doing here. Please note that I am not drawing any sort of parallels between Oxford and Unilag, I am just painting a picture of relative importance.

What happens if the the next government decides to change the name to Bola Tinubu University?

Iconic Institutions, their traditions and history must be protected and exempt from radical changes.
Because people past and present identify with the brand, you cannot leave changes like these to the perceived interest of a powerful.
It's wrong.

I like the way you have articulated ur argument but I need serious answers here:

Are you telling me that the students who went on the street yesterday were there because they had all this intellectual analysis and dissections in their head?

Do you think the Brits will go on the streets if Oxford or Cambridge is changed to Wiston Churchhill?

Do you really think majority of Nigerians care about the MAU name change?

Do you know the reactions have completely rubbished the June 12 legacy?

Do you know only Nigerians place premium in emptiness like these?

Do you know how many countries, cities and universities have changed names all around the world since the last 1000 years and still happening?

I need answers please.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by edicolove: 10:46am On May 31, 2012
nateevs:

It's wrong.

I like the way you have articulated ur argument but I need serious answers here:

Are you telling me that the students who went on the street yesterday were there because they had all this intellectual analysis and dissections in their head?

Do you think the Brits will go on the streets if Oxford or Cambridge is changed to Wiston Churchhill?

Do you really think majority of Nigerians care about the MAU name change?

Do you know the reactions have completely rubbished the June 12 legacy?

Do you know only Nigerians place premium in emptiness like these?

Do you know how many countries, cities and universities have changed names all around the world since the last 1000 years and still happening?

I need answers please.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Hold Buhari Responsible If Naira Depreciates Against Dollars – Reno Omokri / NPA, Dangote, Flour Mills, Give N4.5 Billion to Rebuild Roads At Apapa Port / Western Nigeria Governors To Bid For Murtala Muhammed Airport Concession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.