Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

So They Never Really Loved MKO - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So They Never Really Loved MKO (17649 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / MKO Abiola: How He Died - Dr Ore Falomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Orikinla(m): 10:51am On May 31, 2012
ifeci: @orikinla

Please get your facts right cos the last I checked his biography, MKO worked as an accountant at Unilag.
[size=48pt]
“UNILAG is too well established and has its own individual personality which will be difficult to overshadow”.

He noted that the president could have named one of the nine federal universities being constructed by the government in honour of the late acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election.

“This would have been less contentious because they are yet to be given any names and have no identity of their own unlike UNILAG”, Sagay added. [/size]
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by nateevs(m): 11:02am On May 31, 2012
I like the way you have articulated ur argument but I need serious answers here:

Thanks. I hope to do my best.

Are you telling me that the students who went on the street yesterday were there because they had all this intellectual analysis and dissections in their head?

I do not know. There will be hundreds of Students who possess way better intellectual analysis. The only way to discover though is if the decision followed due process. If it did, we might have had Year 1 students make meaning of it all that gives the 'moral arbiters' a second thought.

Do you think the Brits will go on the streets if Oxford or Cambridge is changed to Wiston Churchhill?

Trust me dude. Brits love history and tradition. They will lock down the whole of the UK until the name is reversed. Do you how many people love to look down on people and just mention that they went to Oxford for the sake of it? Brits went to the streets when taxes were increased. There were riots, looting and burning down of buildings when a Policeman killed someone in Tottenham. Bikers closed down the M4 (main motorway to Wales) when EU rules threatened the importation of spare parts. Students closed down the whole of Central London and prevented people from going in and out when Universities were allowed to charge the maximum £9000 from £3000.

People protest. Because it doesn't make worldwide news does not mean Nigerians are evil for doing the same.

Do you really think majority of Nigerians care about the MAU name change?

How do you know they don't if you don't ask them?

Do you know the reactions have completely rubbished the June 12 legacy?

That's a personal opinion. Until you bring people into a forum of discussion, you cannot discern their inner thoughts on/about the the Legacy. Also as the likes of Kobo and Dayo have clearly stated, June 12 had more to do with the fight for democracy than the fight for Abiola. In other words, if Abacha happened to be in the same situation as MKO, the perception would have been the same.

Do you know only Nigerians place premium in emptiness like these?

Another personal opinion. Lemme break it down to you. People depend on that name - past, present and future. Like my earlier analogy, people are more likely to be employed if they have a degree in Architecture form Cambridge than they are from Westminster even though Westminster in ratings is regarded as the best Uni offering the same course. Why? Prestige. Tradition. History. It's the same for Unilag. The same for all iconic institutions around the world.

People attribute a certain of culture to the name. Maybe not because it's the best at what it does but just because of the name. A typical backlash is the Uni receiving less than half it's annual applications thereby losing revenue. Why? Because believe it or not, people want to go there just for the name. Whether that's right it a topic for another day. It's an ICONIC place. You cannot change at will.

Do you know how many countries, cities and universities have changed names all around the world since the last 1000 years and still happening?

Ofcourse there have been name changes. How Iconic were these places before the changes? That's the more pertinent question. I am priviledged to have done some IT work in a ton of Victorian age buildings here in the UK. As simple as Hotels, that have been built as early as the 14th century, they still stand till date. Many of these buildings are listed buildings, meaning: "They have been placed on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest".

These buildings cannot be changed. They are protected by law. Except for safety fittings - like fire alarms, cameras. You cannot change anything regarding the outside walls of the buildings. The external walls are the exact same walls from the 16th century. Some of them have joists, columns, windows, doors, frameworks, pictures, even a wall-framed picture of a newspaper all from the 1600s.

Don't tell me this is rubbish. You need to pay particular attention what is historical and Iconic and protect it with all you have. It defines a state, it defines a country, it defines a people.

PS.I never went to Unilag neither did any member of my family.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 11:06am On May 31, 2012
hmmmm..
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 11:59am On May 31, 2012
edicolove:

I like the way you have articulated ur argument but I need serious answers here:

Are you telling me that the students who went on the street yesterday were there because they had all this intellectual analysis and dissections in their head?

Do you think the Brits will go on the streets if Oxford or Cambridge is changed to Wiston Churchhill?

Do you really think majority of Nigerians care about the MAU name change?

Do you know the reactions have completely rubbished the June 12 legacy?

wink

Do you know only Nigerians place premium in emptiness like these?

Do you know how many countries, cities and universities have changed names all around the world since the last 1000 years and still happening?

I need answers please.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by fortyfeet(m): 12:04pm On May 31, 2012
there are many of us who would not have fought if they know GEJ will be there till now. some of us fought bearing in mind one BUHARI for 2011.
believe me, if it were BASHIR TOFA (1993) i wouldn't have been part of the struggle and will even go as far as discouraging others. a lot of us today say they prefer military to GEJ's government.
back to the issue of MAU, we can still make amends, for instance: ABIOLA MOSHOOD UNIVERSITY (AMU)_dick. i know some IGBOS go don dey laugh. NA UNA LUCK.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Iykopee(m): 12:31pm On May 31, 2012
This is not an issue dat worth debating. The student shud go back and read their books and stop hiting up the polity in a selfish protest dat is of no benefit.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 12:36pm On May 31, 2012
Iykopee: This is not an issue dat worth debating. The student shud go back and read their books and stop hiting up the polity in a selfish protest dat is of no benefit.

The are clearly not interested. grin grin grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 2:27pm On May 31, 2012
hmmm.....
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 31, 2012
tpia@:

shut up you m.oron.

when you were posting s.tupid pictures of your village and terming them ilaje, you gave a damn about ethnicity then.

oniranu jatijati.

[size=18pt]as per your senseless post- THE WHOLE WORLD knows its always the yorubas who sing one love like eni ti won fun ni nkan je.
[/size]
when the southwest led the t shirt march to install gej in power, of course you wouldnt see ethnicity then.

when obasanjo put gej in aso rock, you didnt see his ethnicity then.

bozo.

It's something I've noticed on NL. i.e from bittyend/Shymmex.

I truly believe the day Yorubas stop this "I love you I love you" chorus, that's the day Nigeria stops to exist.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 31, 2012
edicolove:

It is nothing new really. The SW has always been known to betray even their own for a morsel of gbegiri. See how they have rubbished Abiola and June 12 for ever. The legacy wiped out in just 24 hours. What they do not realise however is that they are the real loosers here. Mark this day in history because we will make reference to it.

Simple question to live you lot with. If the fight was about democracy not Abiola, why did the rest of Nigeria conceed the presidency to the SW in 1999? If it wasnt about Abiola, it wouldn't have mattered that a SW person must lead then, would it? Abiola was the biggest leverage and bargain chip the SW had. Something even the then powerful north did not have an answer for. Now, they are laughing at you lot because you have thrown away a big leverage. The weight has finally been lifted from off their back. This is what you get when you give 1diots a computer and Internet connection

This is a very daft excuse for GEJ's disrespect.

When UNN Alumni warned FG not to name UNN after Ojukwu, were Igbos betraying Ojukwu? Abi was it not the same Ojukwu who betrayed the Biafran soldiers by running to IV?

In life, there is always a proper manner about going about things. UniLag is SW university mainly because it's located in the SW. Does that mean that UniLag is predominately/ All Yoruba students?

So the mixed students who are Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas etc protesting against the uninformed name changed (till the last minute) correlates to Yorubas betraying Abiola?

Cowards at it again with their 1+1=11 logic.

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Diligence: 7:18pm On May 31, 2012
Nigerians hv become so cynical that it will take a miracle to cure!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 11:23am On Jun 01, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
alj harem:

what is primitive african in a Name

Only da.ft people have such inferiority complexes

hey mr puck noser whom are you referring to here? Please don't insult me for expressing my opinion. Foo.lish idi.ot like you. Aren't some anglo saxon things reffered to have been from the dark ages? Or stone ages? Do they feel inferior about it? Just say the name moshood makes you feel inferior and not so you are the da.ft one. Scally.wag! You think i came to nairaland to exchange insu.lt with nonen.tities like you? Mscheeeewwww
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 01, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
alj harem: Here comes the Igbos with there betrayer etc lairs against Yorubas.....

you are indeed a cynic and a bigot. I pity your family and friends. **spit on you**

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Saraki Unveils What Nigerians Should Expect From N’assembly In 2017 / 27 Nov Of The Nation Newspaper Quotes By Oyedepo About Buhari Death / Electoral Act: NASS Plans To Override President Buhari This Week - Sen Olujimi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.