Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,042 members, 7,821,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (27937 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ektbear: 4:17am On May 31, 2012
Eh...you need to reread the post if you think the point of it was "America is perfect."

And certainly there are more damning counter-examples of such a hypothesis than the one you chose...
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:19am On May 31, 2012
gohome:

What right exactly, to protest. or to choose the name of their school? What rights... They are fools man, just like you and me. We have taken and still taking shit. Maybe you should read my earlier post. Not sure you read it

Lets give it a rest. You cannot compare Harvard with Unilag. Harvard is private, Unilag isn't. And Unilag is not our Harvard. Remember Yale was renamed, the best school in Nigeria Ife was renamed so y should Unilag be any different.

I just want to know why those kids are protesting. . Re naming schools no be new thing.... It has happened before, it will happen again.

Some say 50 years of brand name... I say what brand name, brand name as per high academic standard or brand name as per aristo ism. This new name might just be a face lift... Brands change names? Notorious Brand change name.. I know the notorious Unilag, not the High academic Standard Unilag. This new name might just end the RUNS GIRLS thingy

Some say due process wasn't followed... You can't just change the name of a school? I say it won't make any difference.... Due process or not, if it has to be changed it will be. He who pays the piper....... The FG can decide to close down UniLag, replace it with a poo hole and justify it. all it needs to do its to compensate. Tell the people you will build 20 more schools in Lagos and it will fly

Some say, If you don't like a decision you can speak your mind, that it's okay for those kids to take to the street.... I say where were they... The Nigerian youth during the occupy Nigeria protest

Some say Nigeria has better problems.... Renaming a school is petty.... I say protesting because of name change is also petty, those students should protest against corruption, lack of books, decay in the educational system... Etc No be their mate day Libya, Syria Tunisia,Egypt

Some also say schools should be name after its city... University of Manchester University of Aberdeen bla bla bla bla bla..... Yale, Harvard are people's name.

Why are these kids protesting? I want to know. MKO is not fit to have Unilag named after him? I kind of agree with is one.... MKO might just be over rated.... He won an election, GEJ also did that... He died in Prison for democracy.... Yar Adua senior and a host of others died too... OBJ almost died. Was Abiola more patriotic than OBj, I will say no.OBJ ended the Nigerian CIvil war... OBJ handed over to the first civilian president, OBJ is the symbol of this so called democracy day... Abiola was never proven.... He wasn't the president... I can't rate him. Was he corrupt? YES.... Who says he wouldn't have ended like his friends, IBB and co. Naming a big school like Unilag after Mko to me no follow, but still not out of place. Stanford University was named after the founders son who died of typhoid

The other reason why I think thrse guys are protesting is that the name dont just sound cool... Hehehe.... Funny but true.... But how does that change the academic standard... If Harvard changes its name today, will its ranking drop? Protest because of lost Swag? leaders of tomorrow. I now see reason with IBB in his interview with CNN when he said the youth are not ready to lead... we are busy dancing, chatting away and wearing jeans. When IBB and co were youths, they were leading wars and planning strategies .... Look what our youth now protest for.. NAME CHANGE.

Lets all stop being petty and think of other things, IMO, GEJ has just distracted us...Democracy day... are we not suppose to be protesting against rigging, corruption etc Something somewhere is not right....So Unilag students, no be today... Even countries de change name....if you no like the name, change school... Or better still ignore the FG, call yourself whatever you lik..... Na your papa get school.... My advice for you guys is to breath, take a chill pill, MAUL will Rock as well

I disagree with many of your points. There is nothing so much different and you can't scold them for not taken to the path of Egypt or Tunisia(did start off with the students, if I'm correct). Not only that, you haven't explained to us the conditions behind what took place in those countries. Indeed, I would be interested in the Boko Haram case as well to be blamed on them if you see this students protest on their right as unnecessary.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 4:22am On May 31, 2012
all4naija: Maximal without reprimand is okay to you and that's dictatorial by nature. The climax of custodian is under the law of the land. So, the president being in that position is subjected to the law of the land which the people are embodiment to not of the law, which they too have rights to know and fight for when necessary. Please, you are making the president a dictator.

Dude, the law, protocol and hierachy make GEJ the maximal custodian of the law. There is nothing dictatorial about that, anything short is chaos.
The people are not an embodiment of the law, rather the President and the various arms of govt are in the order of official hierachy and function.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:23am On May 31, 2012
shymmex:

The court of law is there, if the students don't like the name..

Nigeria doesn't need this stupid distraction right now - these lazy, and cowardly students need to use their energy for the right cause...

They will get used to the new name with time..
You comment like a dictator. You force things into people. It's never the best idea anywhere in the world. Why call for trouble when you know that it is going to be disturbing?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:27am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

Dude, the law, protocol and hierachy make GEJ the maximal custodian of the law. There is nothing dictatorial about that, anything short is chaos.
The people are not an embodiment of the law, rather the President and the various arms of govt are in the order of official hierachy and function.
I said to not of. Yes, you do that through the law and the school law has not be consulted in this case. Even, if they take it to the court of law it can be vetoed by the president. I still think the due path needs to be followed when doing things in an organized way. Not until the nation leaders learn to be organized the country will remain the way it is.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:28am On May 31, 2012
Read your own post again, and modify the generalization you made about Nigeria..

You have to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you on every subject matter - there will be people for, and people against.. That's what makes the world go round.. And just because some people agree with something you disagree with - that don't make them the problem...

It's a universal phenomenon.. Not just a Nigerian thing.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:31am On May 31, 2012
all4naija: You comment like a dictator. You force things into people. It's never the best idea anywhere in the world. Why call for trouble when you know that it is going to be disturbing?

It's not the best idea, but is the distraction worth it? How does the name change (which has taken over the media) affects the price of garri?

These students don't even make up 0.00000001 of the population..

The story was cool two days ago, but it's getting boring now. undecided
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by OAM4J: 4:31am On May 31, 2012
@Coogar

Tell me you didn't grow up in military home or environment. Your military tendency is giving me concern for my aburo o cheesy

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong in changing a name of an institution, and I have no problem naming a great institution after Abiola, he deserves it. But there are lay down processes that should be respected and the president is not above these processes.

If the lay down process indicates that there is a need for consultation with the university governing council, then it should/must be respected by any lay abiding government official.

Even without a lay down process, only an insensitive and irresponsible government will wake up overnight, under democracy and give out an order for a change on matter that affect many people without carrying along key stakeholders.

Yes Jonathan is most likely going to get away with it, but IMO he has only dented his already bad image. From political perspective; what he did is most likely not going to make those who don't like him begin to like him, but it will definitely make him lose some of those few supporters he has left. I really wonder who his advisers are.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:32am On May 31, 2012
shymmex: Read your own post again, and modify the generalization you made about Nigeria..

You have to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you on every subject matter - there will be people for, and people against.. That's what makes the world go round.. And just because some people agree with something you disagree with - that don't make them the problem...

It's a universal phenomenon.. Not just a Nigerian thing.
Not because it's against or for is my concern. It is what becomes of the consequence of the outcome of the renaming. Yes, is it against the due process? Yes. Is it right for the president to rename the university? Yes! You see why those against it is right. The law would in effect makes them right even if their actions are wrong.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by gohome: 4:32am On May 31, 2012
all4naija: I disagree with many of your points. There is nothing so much different and you can't scold them for not taken to the path of Egypt or Tunisia(did start off with the students, if I'm correct). Not only that, you haven't explained to us the conditions behind what took place in those countries. Indeed, I would be interested in the Boko Haram case as well to be blamed on them if you see this students protest on their right as unnecessary.

They should be scolded. we should laugh at them, just like IBB did. If they can protest for a mere privilege, they can also protest for their rights, Injustice, Corruption, Good, world-class education. They should protest for Boko Haram. George clooney got arrested because he protested for the arrest of Congo warlord KONI.

You disagree with my point, which ones please #

P.S Mohamed Bouazizi (29 March 1984 – 4 January 2011) He started the Arab Spring. A Youth like me and you
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 4:33am On May 31, 2012
all4naija: I said to not of. Yes, you do that through the law and the school law has not be consulted in this case. Even, if they take it to the court of law it can be vetoed by the president. I still think the due path needs to be followed when doing things in an organized way. Not until the nation leaders learn to be organized the country will remain the way it is.

I do not believe there is a due path and I am sure you agree with me that any consultation would only have led to attempts to ridicule, because todays politics seems to be about how rude people can get, rather than about substance.
I really don't believe that there are any set procedures for renaming a school the FG owns 100%.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ektbear: 4:34am On May 31, 2012
I am not interested in anyone agreeing with me. I've laid out my position, and thus far have seen no logical arguments against it.

Whether anyone agrees with me or not is irrelevant, so long as my reasoning is sound.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:37am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

I do not believe there is a due path and I am sure you agree with me that any consultation would only have led to attempts to ridicule, because todays politics seems to be about how rude people can get, rather than about substance.
I really don't believe that there are any set procedures for renaming a school the FG owns 100%.
Even at that essence the president would have every excuse to be vindicated of his action after renaming the university rather than been vilified.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 4:38am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J: @Coogar

Tell me you didn't grow up in military home or environment. Your military tendency is giving me concern for my aburo o cheesy

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong in changing a name of an institution, and I have no problem naming a great institution after Abiola, he deserves it. But there are lay down processes that should be respected and the president is not above these processes.

If the lay down process indicates that there is a need for consultation with the university governing council, then it should/must be respected by any lay abiding government official.

Even without a lay down process, only an insensitive and irresponsible government will wake up overnight, under democracy and give out an order for a change on matter that affect many people without carrying along key stakeholders.

Yes Jonathan is most likely going to get away with it, but IMO he has only dented his already bad image. From political perspective; what he did is most likely not going to make those who don't like him begin to like him, but it will definitely make him lose some of those few supporters he has left. I really wonder who his advisers are.

There are no laid down processes. Remember that the governing council is also appointed by the FG and its the same FG that would foot the bill for the name change.
Those who didn't like him hardly matter, because they would have hated him even if he was Jesus anyway, so why should he consider them or try to carry them along?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by 2good(m): 4:38am On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1: I strongly disagree with Wole Soyinka on this.

The furore regarding the renaming of Unilag is elitist posturing of the worst kind, dressed up in the garb of democratic protestation. This has nothing to do with anger that the council of the university was not consulted. The university and its senate and governing council do not fund the school. The school is funded by the federal government from the federal purse representing millions of hardworking Nigerians most of whose kids will never enjoy the benfit of a university education let alone a prestigious one like Unilag.

The storm in a tea cup is another example of middle class Nigerians, particularly yoruba ones (the most snobbish and self regarding version and yes i am a Yoruba) refusing to be associated with a person largely revered by the poorer classes. The same happened when Uiversity of Ife was renamed in 1987 in honour of Obafemi Awolowo, when a few hundred students largely of middle class origin demonstrated their objection, while the poor people in the town, carpentars, shoe makers, tailors and others who benefited from awo's reforms celebrated.

This is all about a few priviledged and educated yoruba people wanting to retain what they see as an eleitis label placing them apart from the majority of the population whom they secretly despise. If the school had been named after Barack Obama would they be protesting, even if it was done without consultation - Of course they wouldn't - they'll probably be fantasising about getting an easy visa ride in the American embassy.

Wole Soyinka is a radical and progressive Nigerian but his elitism is a well known flaw which is why he has never inspite of his undoubted courage been able to buod a mass following for his ideas.

Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the students or their lecturers. Most ordiany Nigerians respect the sacrifices people like abiola made - they, not the spolit middle class kids kicking up a fuss in Unilag are the majority. The noisy minority in Unilag should be ignored. they will son go back to their Ipads

If they don't like the name when they receive their degrees let them rip them up. They don't own the school, the people do -i've not seen any demonstrations in mushin, shomolu, bere or sabongari against it.

If wole is not happy let him write a poem about his fury. He is a great man, but on this occasion he is wrong

President Jonathan is not the absolute owner of the Federal Government so he has no monopoly over every decision made by it. Federal government have 3 arms: Executive, legislative and Judiciary. University of Ife was renamed by the military where laws are decreed and implemented with no negotiation with the general public. Is that what you call democracy? We can as well go back to the military era because I see not a single sign of improvement in the quality if life of Nigerians since we switched back to civilian rule. I can also see that you obviously did not attend University of Lagos hence your indifference to whatever happens to it and also who gave you the impression that it is meant for the rich or elite? For the fact that many people find it difficult to get in does not mean that there are no smart people from poor home studying there.
The point is Mr president have to follow due process. Barrack Obama the most powerful man on earth, have been finding it difficult to pass lots of bills because congress just wont agree with his policies. That is what you call democracy where people discuss overtime to get a collective majority agreement.
If things continue the way they are going, Nigeria will not work on the long run because we are just postponing when a ticking time bomb will explode. Enough with dictatorship from so called civilian presidents
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:39am On May 31, 2012
all4naija: Not because it's against or for is my concern. It is what becomes of the consequence of the outcome of the renaming. Yes, is it against the due process? Yes. Is it right for the president to rename the university? Yes! You see why those against it is right. The law would in effect makes them right even if their actions are wrong.

Court of law, brother..

That's the beauty of democracy..

You can't disturb the livelihood of the next man, just because of a name change.. These students need to stop acting like sissies, and wimps.. They need to get back to the books...

I'm Nigerian, and I don't care about MAULAG... grin grin

I want to see corrupt people go to jail, and see food on the table of the poor kids in the slums of Lagos... Is that too much to ask for?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by OAM4J: 4:44am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

The possibility of consultation not yielding a desired goal does not nullifies it. Good leaders exploits it to good use. Lay down process and institutions are greater than office holders. And there is no point doing something that is unpopular, after-all government/democracy is about people and not about an individual/president vain glory or self interest.

Well I hope the matter will be taken to court and the court will determine if the president err or not.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by OAM4J: 4:47am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

There are no laid down processes. Remember that the governing council is also appointed by the FG and its the same FG that would foot the bill for the name change.
Those who didn't like him hardly matter, because they would have hated him even if he was Jesus anyway, so why should he consider them or try to carry them along?

Let the court determine if there are processes to be followed or not.

Yes he need not bother about those who don't like him, but am sure he just lost the support of some of those who liked him before now with this thoughtless, irresponsible and insensitive move.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:54am On May 31, 2012
This redundant topic is getting boring now.. It was cool two days ago.. I will break my laptop if I see any story about this name change on the front page of NL when I wake up. grin

Fellow Nigerians, we can't let GEJ distract us - it looks like a plot to keep our minds off what's really going on..

Adios.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by dasparrow: 4:54am On May 31, 2012
eGuerrilla:

[url=http://saharareporters.com/article/goodluck-jonathan%E2%80%99s-gift-horse-wole-soyinka/]Source[/url]

I agree with Uncle Wole Soyinka.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 4:54am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J:

Let the court determine if there are processes to be followed or not.

Yes he need not bother about those who don't like him, but am sure he just lost the support of some of those who liked him before now with this thoughtless, irresponsible and insensitive move.

Really? Those must be petty minds, the renaming of a school is very far from the weighty issues by which the President of the country is judged.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 4:56am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J:

The possibility of consultation not yielding a desired goal does not nullifies it. Good leaders exploits it to good use. Lay down process and institutions are greater than office holders. And there is no point doing something that is unpopular, after-all government/democracy is about people and not about an individual/president vain glory or self interest.

Well I hope the matter will be taken to court and the court will determine if the president err or not.

Politics in that area is governed by rudeness and ceaseless attempts to ridicule the office of the President. Consultation would have been a useless exercise.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:59am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

Politics in that area is governed by rudeness and ceaseless attempts to ridicule the office of the President. Consultation would have been a useless exercise.
That's baseless. On what ground?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 5:04am On May 31, 2012
^
It wouldn't have yielded anything, but "politics."

all4naija: That's baseless. On what ground?

Have you never heard obscenities directed at the President from the mouths of Aregbesola (before he was dealt with), Lai Mohammed and Tinubu? Their minions are no different (including those here on NL). So, why would anyone bother to talk to such highly rude and belligerent people? I wouldn't if I were GEJ.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by blasterman(m): 5:08am On May 31, 2012
When people like Wole Soyinka femi falana and co who were nadeco r opposing this for a person who they fought for, who made them to be in exile. Then y have to agree that there is some senselessness in this act. SW cherish education as u know and cherish there schls. Wetin concern goodluck for the matter he is not from SW nor did he go to unilag. so y wake up morning and cos unnecceary problem. Lieing to us u want to immortalize abiola who beg u. Give him a public holiday or build something new so the questn is the name university of Lagos > abiola university I think so. But let the court end of story decide
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 5:12am On May 31, 2012
Beaf: ^
It wouldn't have yielded anything, but "politics."

Have you never heard obscenities directed at the President from the mouths of Aregbesola (before he was dealt with), Lai Mohammed and Tinubu? Their minions are no different (including those here on NL). So, why would anyone bother to talk to such highly rude and belligerent people? I wouldn't if I were GEJ.
Were those(slanders) based on consultations? Let's be clearly precise about this matter at hand.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 5:12am On May 31, 2012
^
Does it matter what they were based on? If a person shows they are uncivil, then they will remain uncivil in any setting.

blasterman: When people like Wole Soyinka femi falana and co who were nadeco r opposing this for a person who they fought for, who made them to be in exile. Then y have to agree that there is some senselessness in this act. SW cherish education as u know and cherish there schls. Wetin concern goodluck for the matter he is not from SW nor did he go to unilag. so y wake up morning and cos unnecceary problem. Lieing to us u want to immortalize abiola who beg u. Give him a public holiday or build something new so the questn is the name university of Lagos > abiola university I think so. But let the court end of story decide

Do you think the SW is a separate country from Nigeria? Or that you are not under Nigerian law? You better think again.
The court cannot do anything, it is a waste of time, cos MAULAG belongs to the FG. Simple as.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by OAM4J: 5:14am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

I see, so autocratic move becomes GEJ best option? He should just cut off the region then or cede it to Benin republic. Or is that not within his powers?

At least one thing becomes clear from your comment, he is not loved and respected from that region and the move was only an attempt to spite the people of that region. I say to him 'well done!'
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 5:16am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J:

I see, so autocratic move becomes GEJ best option? He should just cut off the region then or cede it to Benin republic. Or is that not within his powers?

At least one thing becomes clear from your comment, he is not loved and respected from that region and the move was only an attempt to spite the people of that region. I say to him 'well done!'

He is not loved by ACN, that is the only clear thing. I don't think he should be bothered by that; afterall, ACN is just a mushroom party packed with rude people.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by OAM4J: 5:19am On May 31, 2012
Beaf: ^
Does it matter what they were based on? If a person shows they are uncivil, then they will remain uncivil in any setting.

Do you think the SW is a separate country from Nigeria? Or that you are not under Nigerian law? You better think again.
The court cannot do anything, it is a waste of time, cos MAULAG belongs to the FG. Simple as.

You and coogar kept on repeating this. Who is FG? Who gave FG his powers? The People!

For God sake this is democracy, the government of the people by the people for the people. I say again, only an insensitive and senseless government officials do things under democracy without carrying the people concerned along.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 5:23am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J:

You and coogar kept on repeating this. Who is FG? Who gave FG his powers? The People!

For God sake this is democracy, the government of the people by the people for the people. I say again, only an insensitive and senseless government officials do things under democracy without carrying the people concerned along.

You're precisely correct.

FG would not be presided by GEJ if the people did not vote him there.

All I've been reading are communistic posts i.e FG controls Lagos, so GEJ can do whatever he wants.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by papatosibe: 5:24am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J:

I see, so autocratic move becomes GEJ best option?

Hows GEJ's move autocratic? He only changed their name. Whats autocratic about that?

He should just cut off the region then or cede it to Benin republic. Or is that not within his powers?

He does not have the power to do that. Now if he did that, that would be autocratic.

I hope you now see the difference?

I'd like to believe that you didnt make this careless post while stoned out of your mind from Toluene inhalation. Now. could you please provide a link to the result of the carefully analysed public poll you conducted showing how unpopular GEJ is in the SW. Because I actually like the dude wella. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Boko Haram, Soldiers In Gun Battle In Yobe Town - Daily Post / FFK: Hell Will Let Loose If El-zakzaky, Kanu Or Dasuki Is Murdered In Custody / Shekau: Boko Haram Will Never Stop Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.