Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,525 members, 7,823,284 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (27941 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Obalufon: 2:24pm On Jun 01, 2012
Jonathan is a dull guy ,it seems his brain is slow so,he needs to calm himself down and think more before taking decision, He may have good intention but he went about it the wrong way ,He just succeeded in ridiculing Abiola.. You can't just erase 50yrs of history made my Unilag to immortalize a man .what about those great students and professors Unilag has produced for 50yrs to make it what it is today ? Abiola was a great man and he deserves to be immortalize but not in this manner,if Abiola were alive today he would not approve such 'i belief, he can build a monument or build a new institution even name a major road After him and why must he localize his effort to just southwest he was incarcerated and killed in Abuja not in Lagos. Muritala Mohamed was killed in Lagos he was immortalized here ,why can't he do the same in Abuja for Abiola.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

your tax is a fraction of your income. it's a token...10%, 20%, 30%
they are still a token as they are not even up to 50% of the income you make.

as far as nigeria is concerned, it can never be taken care of. it's the
government that is paying taxes to the people, not the other way round.
just recently, biometrics was introduced in the nigerian police force and guess what?
it's been saving N1 billion per month in wages - before biometrics, ghost workers were eating that amount.
now project that fraud into other government parastatals, and it's easy to see why nothing
works in nigeria. the government officials are no saints but the people are far worse.

of course, there's a tenancy agreement....
i have never seen any tenancy agreement that stipulates the landlord must consult his
tenant before painting, renaming, gating his house. this isn't about dictatorship or
whatever you want to call it. that university is heavily funded by the government....
they pay the staff wages, they subsidize the fees the students pay, etc.....
so why should you expect the government to consult the university body for a name change?
The people stealing the money who are they? You are actually looking at the picture from a different perspective. I don't think you have addressed the tenant and the landlord agreement of contract based on the ownership and right of the occupier.I would like that to be explained in your analogy.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by odumorun1: 3:06pm On Jun 01, 2012
[b][/b]If you need to go back to school, please do so, cause you sound so much like one of the goofballs who think all laws and rules we live by today fell automagically from the sky.

Yes, slavery was once legal on this planet. In fact Africans, who you probably think where the only victims of the slave trade openly traded slaves for much of their history. If you cannot deal with then then, again, I suggest you stay away from issues you are unable/unwilling to wrap your mind around.

Stop coming up with some more lame-brained analogies please. You are making me feel more and more that you are probably not full-developed up in the head.[b]If you need to go back to school, please do so, cause you sound so much like one of the goofballs who think all laws and rules we live by today fell automagically from the sky.

Yes, slavery was once legal on this planet. In fact Africans, who you probably think where the only victims of the slave trade openly traded slaves for much of their history. If you cannot deal with then then, again, I suggest you stay away from issues you are unable/unwilling to wrap your mind around.

Stop coming up with some more lame-brained analogies please. You are making me feel more and more that you are probably not full-developed up in the head.[/b]If you need to go back to school, please do so, cause you sound so much like one of the goofballs who think all laws and rules we live by today fell automagically from the sky.

Stop coming up with some more lame-brained analogies please. You are making me feel more and more that you are probably not full-developed up in the head.

The African trans atlantic slave trade in his industrial scale brutality, is widely regarded as almost genocidal in its impact on an entire people. Uncounted millions died on the ships and in the plantations. On a scale of savagery, unparalled and unprecedented it stands alone. No other epoch of slavery in human history comes close. even begins to come close.

If historical crimes are determined by what was legally permissible at a particular point in history, then it means no historical crime can be considered a crime since the powers of the period for obvious reasons legitimised it.

Crimes, slowpoke are determined not just by what the rule books written by the criminals said, but by the impact on the victim. For people like you whose understanding of history is what was written for you by those who enslaved your fathers - little can be done. You probably think Mungo Park discovered River Niger and that Jesus Christ was a blue eyed, blond Caucasian when there is no historical example of any human with such caucasian features existed at the time in Palestine.

But then those are the pictures you saw in the story book from England when you were growing up so they must be true.

I used to think Uncle Tom lived and died in the US. seems he is alive, well and writes on this board.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 4:09pm On Jun 01, 2012
all4naija: The people stealing the money who are they? You are actually looking at the picture from a different perspective. I don't think you have addressed the tenant and the landlord agreement of contract based on the ownership and right of the occupier.I would like that to be explained in your analogy.

the people stealing the money are the same people the government isn't doing enough.
wage bill was N1.5 billion per month before biometrics, after biometrics, the bill went
down to only 500m per month. that's nigeria police force alone. if the biometric process
extends to the federal ministries, state ministries and even local government, i have no
doubt in my mind trillions of naira would be saved per annum.

as per the tenant/landlord agreement.....the tenants(staff n students of unilag) get the
freedom of movement, freedom of speech, etc. the members of staff cannot be sacked or have
their appointment terminated without a due process. students cannot be rusticated without
a due process. that is where their rights end. anything more than that then you are stretching
it. the government are within their rights to rename their own property!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 5:50pm On Jun 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I can answer this one for you

a) Booth, not only donated $300 million to the school but was also an alumnus of the business school.

b) The University of Chicago was however not renamed

c) Booths name was tacked on to the name of the school . . It is called "The University of Chicago Booth School of Business", not "Booth Business School".

d) Booth does not have a questionable past for the students to fear that adding his name might de-value their school.

Something like MKO UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS would have been better!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

the people stealing the money are the same people the government isn't doing enough.
wage bill was N1.5 billion per month before biometrics, after biometrics, the bill went
down to only 500m per month. that's nigeria police force alone. if the biometric process
extends to the federal ministries, state ministries and even local government, i have no
doubt in my mind trillions of naira would be saved per annum.

as per the tenant/landlord agreement.....the tenants(staff n students of unilag) get the
freedom of movement, freedom of speech, etc. the members of staff cannot be sacked or have
their appointment terminated without a due process. students cannot be rusticated without
a due process. that is where their rights end. anything more than that then you are stretching
it. the government are within their rights to rename their own property!

I doubt if the police force is regarded as civilian's for the simple reason it is part of the arm forces. Then again the people stealing the billions are top officials so called leaders is a category which the president rightly falls into.Its like saying the landlord is the one stealing what belong to the tenant.

The Tenant/landlord analogy contract extends to right of expression,and others which you didn't list and there is nothing wrong for them to be aware of what is coming before hand to forestall the necessary things to make a better functioning institution. On the whole issue it chaotic to not informed them and wake up to a name change. That alone proves we aren't really civilized in our dealings. No matter what, I repeat, no matter what the opportunity and power vested on the president it is civilized on his side to consult the institution first before rename it.

It doesn't tell well of the nation and the president! That's a fact!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2012
all4naija: I doubt if the police force is regarded as civilian's for the simple reason it is part of the arm forces. Then again the people stealing the billions are top officials so called leaders is a category which the president rightly falls into.Its like saying the landlord is the one stealing what belong to the tenant.

the people stealing the billions are normal people like you and i in the admin/accounts departments.
they create ghost roles and ghost workers in the ministries and pay them wages. these ghost wages
are 1 billion naira a month in the police department alone.....

The Tenant/landlord analogy contract extends to right of expression,and others which you didn't list and there is nothing wrong for them to be aware of what is coming before hand to forestall the necessary things to make a better functioning institution. On the whole issue it chaotic to not informed them and wake up to a name change. That alone proves we aren't really civilized in our dealings. No matter what, I repeat, no matter what the opportunity and power vested on the president it is civilized on his side to consult the institution first before rename it.

It doesn't tell well of the nation and the president! That's a fact!

they would disagree with the name change and that would weaken the president's hand in the matter.
a leader makes critical decisions. some would be applauded, some other decisions would be booed.
that's life - we don't have to agree to every decision he makes.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 6:32pm On Jun 01, 2012
dont8:
Don't forget we're in a democratic system of government and not military regime where decree is order of the day. Having said that, government (Federal Govt)owns the institution, fine but backed by an act (Legislature) at whose expense, the parents ofcourse (Tax-payers). I don't need to say more, you know were am heading.

Of course.
An act by legislature?
Dont know if there is any.
I have been asking the same question over and over again.
''The criteria for renaming an institution.''
I havent seen response yet!
And Im not against GEJ being sued if wrong!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 6:40pm On Jun 01, 2012
Shikena: Even those who don't know where Lagos Polytechnic is located talk less of UNILAG are now talking authoritatively about the quality and status of UNILAG. Naija people and bad belle for what they can't touch grin grin grin grin grin.

Methinks this is not about the tushness of MAULAG as a name but about the legacy of UNILAG as a brand - a 50 yr brand for that matter. We should learn to cherish our institutions and stop being self-centered. UNILAG students are not called UNILAGITES or LAGITES, they are called AKOKITES, derived from the local host community of Akoka-Yaba. They proudly bear that 'local' name.

We should learn to respect other people's sentimental attachments - what is your beef if you don't have to bear MAUL on your certificate or resume? Why are you so agitated about other people's reaction to something that affects them personally? If you can't support them then leave them to their struggles for what they believe in, as long it doesn't affect your life.

So, will MAULAG affect their lives?
Just wailing over spilled milk!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 6:49pm On Jun 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

If you need to go back to school, please do so, cause you sound so much like one of the goofballs who think all laws and rules we live by today fell automagically from the sky.

Stop coming up with some more lame-brained analogies please. You are making me feel more and more that you are probably not full-developed up in the head.

What gives u d inkling that u know who u r talking to!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 6:51pm On Jun 01, 2012
all4naija: And,why do the federal government collect taxes?! Please!

Nice question.
My question still.
What are the criteria in renaming an institution?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 6:52pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

your tax is a token paid for the services the government provides for you.
good roads, street lights, police, health services, fire services, etc.
that you pay rent does not make you a landlord - you're still a tenant.

Sharp answer!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 6:54pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

it must be ages since you went to lagos.

Which is responsible for Lagos's welfare?
Federal or State?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 6:56pm On Jun 01, 2012
all4naija: Your analogy is faulted, on looking at the landlord examples.Tax money is never a token anywhere. There is no nation that survives solely on foreign generated income. You speak as if the government is not the people. The resources belong to you and I, we are the government while the president is just a figure head to lead/represent - which is used to fund many thing rather stolen. Now,on a side note - how much of the stolen money have be retrieved from foreign accounts?

However, the services the people have paid for through their 'token'(as you made it to look)haven't be seen taken care of yet the 'landlord' is adding more troubles to disrepair property(the nation). Indeed, looking at it from another angle,the property is a family property(for every Nigerian).

Even at the expense of the tenant rights there is what is called contract based on agreement between the landlord and the tenants. That's the university has some rules which must be followed as due process agreed upon by both parties so that it can function effectively. A dictator wouldn't do much worse than this. He has done something that needs to be but done wrongly. It strip away the importance of the university integrity to speak for itself in regarding things which they rules of the school say they possess.

Rules?
What are the Criteria in renmaing an Institutuion?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 7:04pm On Jun 01, 2012
coogar:

your tax is a fraction of your income. it's a token...10%, 20%, 30%
they are still a token as they are not even up to 50% of the income you make.

as far as nigeria is concerned, it can never be taken care of. it's the
government that is paying taxes to the people, not the other way round.
just recently, biometrics was introduced in the nigerian police force and guess what?
it's been saving N1 billion per month in wages - before biometrics, ghost workers were eating that amount.
now project that fraud into other government parastatals, and it's easy to see why nothing
works in nigeria. the government officials are no saints but the people are far worse.

of course, there's a tenancy agreement....
i have never seen any tenancy agreement that stipulates the landlord must consult his
tenant before painting, renaming, gating his house. this isn't about dictatorship or
whatever you want to call it. that university is heavily funded by the government....
they pay the staff wages, they subsidize the fees the students pay, etc.....
so why should you expect the government to consult the university body for a name change?

Im following u!
But, government never knew they have been paying the tax to the people.......corruption!
So, the people have right (one of the criteria in renaming a federal property) if based on tax paid by them in contribution to the maintenance of MAULAG!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 7:09pm On Jun 01, 2012
odumorun 1: [b][/b]If you need to go back to school, please do so, cause you sound so much like one of the goofballs who think all laws and rules we live by today fell automagically from the sky.

Stop coming up with some more lame-brained analogies please. You are making me feel more and more that you are probably not full-developed up in the head.[b]If you need to go back to school, please do so, cause you sound so much like one of the goofballs who think all laws and rules we live by today fell automagically from the sky.

Stop coming up with some more lame-brained analogies please. You are making me feel more and more that you are probably not full-developed up in the head.[/b]If you need to go back to school, please do so, cause you sound so much like one of the goofballs who think all laws and rules we live by today fell automagically from the sky.

The African trans atlantic slave trade in his industrial scale brutality, is widely regarded as almost genocidal in its impact on an entire people. Uncounted millions died on the ships and in the plantations. On a scale of savagery, unparalled and unprecedented it stands alone. No other epoch of slavery in human history comes close. even begins to come close.

If historical crimes are determined by what was legally permissible at a particular point in history, then it means no historical crime can be considered a crime since the powers of the period for obvious reasons legitimised it.

Crimes, slowpoke are determined not just by what the rule books written by the criminals said, but by the impact on the victim. For people like you whose understanding of history is what was written for you by those who enslaved your fathers - little can be done. You probably think Mungo Park discovered River Niger and that Jesus Christ was a blue eyed, blond Caucasian when there is no historical example of any human with such caucasian features existed at the time in Palestine.

But then those are the pictures you saw in the story book from England when you were growing up so they must be true.

I used to think Uncle Tom lived and died in the US. seems he is alive, well and writes on this board.

Didnt see this before I replied on ur behalf.....cool!
Case closed pls.....ese gan!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 7:14pm On Jun 01, 2012
bayfam: Some pple must talk shaa,so all those Governing Council of the University are Figure head because itLs Federal Univ' they need not to be told B4 any action is taken by fed' govt....maybe soon ur family name will be change to Ebere.....am not against d change atall but d process n it shld be more if not we shld just accept dat,because is PDP in power,let all other parties wake up and vote dem out..abi una never get tired of PDP.

2015 candidate will determine!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 7:26pm On Jun 01, 2012
Ugosample: We would never recognize the name. It is University of Lagos we know and we will forever know. Mko is overhyped, and this a criminal who declared himself president. Why should his name be on my certificate?

Then use correcting fluid!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by temibenson99: 8:10pm On Jun 01, 2012
how sincere are the Nigeria leaders response to issues? the level of these Nigeria leaders sincerity would determines the level of their sincerity to issues. So many many Nigeria leaders responses were based on mere sentiment. Some hide behinds issues to attack the personality that sometimes involves.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jun 01, 2012
ayobase:

Rules?
What are the Criteria in renmaing an Institutuion?
I don't know of any other than the institution has to be aware of what's going to take place with the renaming. The criteria varies from the institute acts to factors which warrant the name change to be put in place. Nobody is saying the renaming is wrong but done in the wrong way. It is better prepared than be caught unaware. I still think the president erred in this sole decision.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by muedewor: 9:02pm On Jun 01, 2012
ndu_chucks: In my opinion, any greatness that could be attributed to MKO Abiola was completely nullified by the level of theft and the disgraceful handling of the ITT contract which was supposed to rebuild Nigeria's telecommunication system. Abiola and ITT ripped us off of billions of dollars without building a single circuit to improve P&T, the old Nigerian communication agency. This, by the way was when the naira was pretty strong.

People like IBB, MKO, OBJ, and others need not be worshiped. IBB and OBJ belong in prison, period. These people and their likes do not deserve to be our heroes, we have quite a few Nigerians who qualify to be real heroes and who have unblemished characters.

I'm surprised that some of the posters from the SW do not find MKO's theft deplorable. Folks need to do a bit of research and discover that billions were spent with absolutely nothing to show for it. SMH

I find it lamentable and unfair that there are individuals who are adamant enough to speak out on issues that they are in fact quite oblivious of. What credible source of information do you have to prove that Chief Abiola looted funds from ITT while he served as it's Managing Director ? There is no proof to back up that allegation which was originated and publicised by the late Fela through his song, "I.T.T".

First and foremost, if you carry out meticulous research on this issue , you will discover that Fela was signed to Abiola's record label until a feud over royalty payments ended their relationship,then out of anger, the late Fela released the song (I.T.T.)containing acrimonious slurs.

Secondly , if we are to assess the allegation objectively, we will indeed conclude that it must be false because ITT was a multinational firm with an international standard of checks and balances. Unlike Nigerian firms where traditionally, anything goes,multinational firms have inherent accountability and transparency with regards to their financial transactions. ITT of Africa and the Middle-East which Abiola headed, had to report to it's headquarters in the United States with a balance sheet every quarter to account for how every penny of it's money was being spent.So given this context of rigid accountability, how on earth can one sensibly assert that MKO Abiola looted funds ?

Indeed , Fela was also a champion of the people, but truth-be-told, this unfounded rumor which he started must finally come to an end.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
You guys should stop with the analogies. It just cannot be the same. This thing totally offends any normal human being's sensibilities, so how can it be right? Very annoying man, GEJ
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 10:52pm On Jun 01, 2012
all4naija: I don't know of any other than the institution has to be aware of what's going to take place with the renaming. The criteria varies from the institute acts to factors which warrant the name change to be put in place. Nobody is saying the renaming is wrong but done in the wrong way. It is better prepared than be caught unaware. I still think the president erred in this sole decision.

get over it, stop crying over spilt milk.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-WhO_GI3QcNo/T8kblOGdDfI/AAAAAAAAZuk/41CJfvF-il4/s400/0maulag+junction+lindaikejiblog.jpeg[/img]
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 10:13pm On Jun 02, 2012
all4naija: I don't know of any other than the institution has to be aware of what's going to take place with the renaming. The criteria varies from the institute acts to factors which warrant the name change to be put in place. Nobody is saying the renaming is wrong but done in the wrong way. It is better prepared than be caught unaware. I still think the president erred in this sole decision.

Okay....point noted!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Obalufon: 1:31pm On Jun 05, 2012
Let FG change Eagle square to MKO Abiola Square .Tafabalewa was killed, Lagos square was named after him.Goodluck Jonathan .Stop dividing the country.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by nsiadi: 2:43pm On Jun 06, 2012
Not evr 1 is gifted with talking from both sides of d mouth. Follow Kobojunkies responses

Many people will be taunting that the sage is against this move
Which sage? Ibru was attacked for chaopioning Abiolas cause. What significant thing did Soyinka do?
Ranting isnt enough. Taking sides isnt enough. Let him dare & Boko will deal with him
Any way, like Unife that was renamed in spite of his protest Unilag will be renamed.
We are tired of being misled. Soyinka should dust his party & prepare for 2015.
Ditto for all those foul mouthed giants with clay feet. Voters are waiting

@ Kobojunkie
um . . . aren't you confusing issues here. Soyinka is not a politician and have never told you he is one or intends to run for office. He is simply a Nigeria with a right to speak out in favour or in opposition of issues as he sees fit.

nsiadi: @ Kobojunkie]
Soyinka formed DEMOCRATIC FRONT FOR PEOPLE FEDERATION
He didnt garner supporters to win even any councellorship seat
If you are still in doubt please Google is there to re-assure that

@ kobojunkieI know he did but that doesn't change anything. He is a civilian . . . he is not an elected leader in any capacity. He has never run for office or informed you that he intended at any point to do such.
Again. . . .
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by GudDoc(m): 11:12pm On Jun 06, 2012
all of a sudden uncle joe is the commander-in-chief. C-i-c for renaming but when it comes to fighting boko haram it'll be time for pointing accusing fingers!

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu:"Unseating Jonathan,An Incumbent President,My Most Difficult Battle" / FG Blames Police, Army, Customs For High Cost Of Food.. / Ademilola Lola Odujinrin Visits Osinbajo In Abuja (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.