Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,445 members, 7,819,643 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Retain UNILAG And Rename Lagos After Abiola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Retain UNILAG And Rename Lagos After Abiola (450 Views)

Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / The First Vice Chancellors Of UNILAG And Uni Of Ibadan Were Igbos / GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Retain UNILAG And Rename Lagos After Abiola by Donmeca(m): 9:45am On May 31, 2012
For the third day running, Nigerians both young and old have been debating the presidential address on Democracy Day. This is democracy and freedom of speech reigns supreme. The only thing that bothers me is d painful fact that our youths and even our role models have devoted 80% of their useful time in debating just one item out of over 70 other debatable ones...an item I sincerely consider insignificant and inconsequential given the enormity of d challenges we face in this country, which GEJ himself raised all over his speech. We have said nothing about d fact that we use a billion Naira daily to import and rebag expiring rice and now president GEJ wants all of us to eat cassava bread, biscuits and sausage. The price of whole wheat bread will increase by atleast 50% due to new high tariff on wheat flour. Again, tomorrow, we will have a new PHCN price regime. Are we guaranteed of improved supply of electricity by d increase in bills? Education? What has d government done? How sustainable is d Almajiri Education hype? Other infrastructures....roads, railways, water, healthcare, etc? We have not really thought in any other direction ever since 29th May, 2012. We have only concentrated on the change of UNILAG to MAU as if it is the most important to or most impacting on d Nigerian people's livelihood.

I now make bold to suggest to govt to rescind its decision and announcement to baptise UNILAG to MAULAG. Pls reverse d change of name cos UNILAG is not even up to Abiola's pedigree and sacrifice. Immortalise Abiola with a larger monument. I (after careful considerations and wide consultations) feel that nothing befits the memory of the man, Abiola other than a very large coastal city where he lived in, laboured, worked, built businesses, became super rich and squandered money. His wife, Kudi was even shot and killed by d same FG on this same land (and waters). So i humbly suggest that we rename Lagos. Yes Lagos! U read right....rename Lagos after Abiola cos he lived, breathed and died a Lagosian. We can't continue talking tongue-in-cheek about this matter anymore. Call it Abiolaland, Abiola City, Abiola Mega City....anything that bears d Abiola name!. When this is done, those protesting the rechristening of UNILAG to MAULAG will by themselves call it UNIABIOLA...automatically!. I think this is simpler and a victory to democraticy

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Defend Your Rights In Nigeria Watch The Video / JFA to GEJ: A letter from former Vice-Chancellor, UNILAG / Presidential Jet Conveying Mrs Goodluck Prevent Faulty Dana Plane From Landing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.