Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,801 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia (4151 Views)

Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / Uyi Iredia, Please Clarify Your Comments On Saudi Arabia!! / Uyi Iredia Sees The Light! Denies the love of Yahweh!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 12:37pm On May 31, 2012
Here are my reasons for saying that atheism is not a religion;

-Atheism does not have a set of beliefs. Atheism is disbelief. There is no evidence for the existence of God, the same reason we all dont believe in Farankenstein's monster

-Atheism doesnt require faith or science. Many theists claim that atheists out their faith in scientists but many atheists like me did not become atheists because of science. I became an atheist because of the inability of man to describe God and the religious God's indifference to slavery which was supported by most civilizations and religions. Science is only a bonus.

-Atheism has no rituals or rites or set if moral conducts which many religions have

re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

I await your points, Uyi Iredia
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 12:43pm On May 31, 2012
• Whilst it would be abominable to corner Atheism into the class of religions given a rigid application of the term religion. I understand that elements of common beliefs, practices and bits that collectively characterise atheists give it the semblance of a religion one which will evolve given time. I believe that the trend of this evolution will be coursed by scientific developments.

•When you describe Atheism as a lack of belief in God/god(s), routinely using the pretext that the definition 'belief in no God' applies to polytheists, you err and necessarily deceive a simpleton. A lack of belief underlines a suspended conclusion based on little or no comprehension whatsoever on a topic. It expressly displays passivity on a given issue. These two aspects of the term 'lack of belief' do not apply to Atheism. I, personally, use the term 'non-theists' for such persons.

• My reckoning of Atheism as religion without consideration of Theism holds because I understand that Atheism has evolved into a position that affects the lifestyle of adherents. It has (generally) assumed the capacity of the appellation for a person who supposes that no God exists. Theism, on the other hand, is predicated on the notion of God which has extensive variances; it assuredly develops multiple conclusions expressed as the different religions which adorn it. Simply put, Theism is not a religion because of the variegated notions of God. The ante to this, naturally, is Atheism which has a relatively consonant notion (i.e that the concept of God is false). I hypothesise that if the notion of God were uniform across board Theism will tend to religion.

This part of my argument is one that I am wont to emphasise in any religious/irreligious debate. This is the application of faith as regards religions and Atheism. To clear the air I needs venture with the meaning of faith (as I understand it) in this context- a meaning that incidentally coincides mazaje's

Faith is a firm belief in things for which there is no proof.

For one to actively affirm that there is no God, or for that matter affects to define his/her stance as a mere 'lack of belief', one inevitably has a (falsifiable) premise on which this affirmation (or 'lack of belief') is founded. When I reckon faith with Atheism, it is my way of proposing that Atheism is a stance devoid of meaning because it has nothing to prove. This
(i.e having nothing to prove) appears to favour Atheists since it is typically agreed, amongst their lot, that Theists are the one making a claim.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 12:50pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy: Here are my reasons for saying that atheism is not a religion;

-Atheism does not have a set of beliefs. Atheism is disbelief. There is no evidence for the existence of God, the same reason we all dont believe in Farankenstein's monster

An uninformed statement. Many atheist forums & organizations e.g Secular Student Alliance have a set of beliefs & practices e.g studying evolution & celebrating Darwin.

logicboy: -Atheism doesnt require faith or science. Many theists claim that atheists out their faith in scientists but many atheists like me did not become atheists because of science. I became an atheist because of the inability of man to describe God and the religious God's indifference to slavery which was supported by most civilizations and religions. Science is only a bonus.

You do it out of faith because atheists equally do not know what lies outside of life after death. Slavery was a necessary process in mankind's journey towards technological development. BTW, slavery has only changed form. If you work for someone you are a slave to that person de gustibus

logicboy: -Atheism has no rituals or rites or set if moral conducts which many religions have
I await your points, Uyi Iredia

I doubt this. I think a good surfing of the net will reveal this. An atheist on Richard Dawkins site once suggeested burial rites for atheists which some were willing to implement.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 12:55pm On May 31, 2012
Uyi Iredia: • Whilst it would be abominable to corner Atheism into the class of religions given a rigid application of the term religion. I understand that elements of common beliefs, practices and bits that collectively characterise atheists give it the semblance of a religion one which will evolve given time. I believe that the trend of this evolution will be coursed by scientific developments.

•When you describe Atheism as a lack of belief in God/god(s), routinely using the pretext that the definition 'belief in no God' applies to polytheists, you err and necessarily deceive a simpleton. A lack of belief underlines a suspended conclusion based on little or no comprehension whatsoever on a topic. It expressly displays passivity on a given issue. These two aspects of the term 'lack of belief' do not apply to Atheism. I, personally, use the term 'non-theists' for such persons.

• My reckoning of Atheism as religion without consideration of Theism holds because I understand that Atheism has evolved into a position that affects the lifestyle of adherents. It has (generally) assumed the capacity of the appellation for a person who supposes that no God exists. Theism, on the other hand, is predicated on the notion of God which has extensive variances; it assuredly develops multiple conclusions expressed as the different religions which adorn it. Simply put, Theism is not a religion because of the variegated notions of God. The ante to this, naturally, is Atheism which has a relatively consonant notion (i.e that the concept of God is false). I hypothesise that if the notion of God were uniform across board Theism will tend to religion.

This part of my argument is one that I am wont to emphasise in any religious/irreligious debate. This is the application of faith as regards religions and Atheism. To clear the air I needs venture with the meaning of faith (as I understand it) in this context- a meaning that incidentally coincides mazaje's

Faith is a firm belief in things for which there is no proof.

For one to actively affirm that there is no God, or for that matter affects to define his/her stance as a mere 'lack of belief', one inevitably has a (falsifiable) premise on which this affirmation (or 'lack of belief') is founded. When I reckon faith with Atheism, it is my way of proposing that Atheism is a stance devoid of meaning because it has nothing to prove. This
(i.e having nothing to prove) appears to favour Atheists since it is typically agreed, amongst their lot, that Theists are the one making a claim.

I expected new material. This is just rambling but let me try to debunk you;

1) There is no definition of God in atheism none. Religions uniformly agree that God is supernatural/spiritual. Atheists simply debunk this by saying that there is no evidence for the supernatural/spiritual

2) You dont prove a negative. There exists no proof of God never has been since 4,000 years of human belief in God. You cant say that I have faith in the non-existence of God. It would be like saying that you have faith in the non-existence of Frankenstein's monster. You can believe in a nagative, you believe in something.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 1:07pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

I expected new material. This is just rambling but let me try to debunk you;

Rambling ko, Rambo ni.

logicboy: 1) There is no definition of God in atheism none. Religions uniformly agree that God is supernatural/spiritual. Atheists simply debunk this by saying that there is no evidence for the supernatural/spiritual

I know there is no definition of God in atheism. But lemme ask you a question here. Is Christianity a philosophy ?

logicboy: 2) You dont prove a negative. There exists no proof of God never has been since 4,000 years of human belief in God. You cant say that I have faith in the non-existence of God. It would be like saying that you have faith in the non-existence of Frankenstein's monster. You can believe in a nagative, you believe in something.

Atheists assert a positive. They say God doesn't exist. They are materialists. A question here for you. I'm fond of asking atheists this question. I think of a pink unicorn, does the pink unicorn exist ?
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 1:07pm On May 31, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

An uninformed statement. Many atheist forums & organizations e.g Secular Student Alliance have a set of beliefs & practices e.g studying evolution & celebrating Darwin.

Having a forum or organisation for atheists does not make atheism a religion. Is Microsoft a religion? There are microsoft blogs and microsoft organisations too.

Atheism is not dependent on science. Studying evolution and celebrating darwin does not make one an atheist- the people could be agnostic.

Uyi Iredia:
You do it out of faith because atheists equally do not know what lies outside of life after death. Slavery was a necessary process in mankind's journey towards technological development. BTW, slavery has only changed form. If you work for someone you are a slave to that person de gustibus

Foolish statement. If my junior brother is my assistant in my fathers company but the head of his own company in which I work as an adviser, explain the slave relationship. Who is a slave to who?

Working is not slavery- just because I work under someone, it does not mean I am a slave.

Uyi Iredia:
I doubt this. I think a good surfing of the net will reveal this. An atheist on Richard Dawkins site once suggeested burial rites for atheists which some were willing to implement.

Does this make Dawkins a priest on atheism? 64% of Japanese are atheist many of them do not know who Dawkins is.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 1:10pm On May 31, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Rambling ko, Rambo ni.

Rainbow Nko?

Uyi Iredia:
I know there is no definition of God in atheism. But lemme ask you a question here. Is Christianity a philosophy ?

Christianity could be seen as a philosophy.

Uyi Iredia:
Atheists assert a positive. They say God doesn't exist. They are materialists. A question here for you. I'm fond of asking atheists this question. I think of a pink unicorn, does the pink unicorn exist ?

"God doesnt exist" is not a positive. Pink unicorns dont exist
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 1:20pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

Having a forum or organisation for atheists does not make atheism a religion. Is Microsoft a religion? There are microsoft blogs and microsoft organisations too.

Atheism is not dependent on science. Studying evolution and celebrating darwin does not make one an atheist- the people could be agnostic.

It does because that's how Christianity became a religion. By gathering adherents and ensuring these adherents gathered in forums where they encouraged themselves in their new way of living. Being an atheist is a new way of living you know.

logicboy: Foolish statement. If my junior brother is my assistant in my fathers company but the head of his own company in which I work as an adviser, explain the slave relationship. Who is a slave to who?

Working is not slavery- just because I work under someone, it does not mean I am a slave.

It isn't. Study economics. I hope you know there were paid & unpaid slaves. Hope you also know that sons in the Roman empire were slaves to their Dads. In your example you both are slaves to your Dad. Just because it is now called working doesn't make it not slavery. In a possible scenery in the 22nd century that's precisely what it will be called given the rise of artificial intelligence (robots, internet etc).

logicboy: Does this make Dawkins a priest on atheism? 64% of Japanese are atheist many of them do not know who Dawkins is.

I am pointing out that you are becoming more of a religion. Can't you see that burial rites for atheists marks you guys out. Japanese aren't atheists. I also thought so until I studied it more closely. While they are definitely secular, the Shinto religiion is hugely embedded in their lifestyle. Islam is virtually nil and Christianity has been steadily growing there since the '90's. You can confirm this.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 1:23pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

Rainbow Nko?
cool

logicboy: Christianity could be seen as a philosophy.

Fine. Then atheism can be seen as a religion.

logicboy: "God doesnt exist" is not a positive. Pink unicorns dont exist

I'll be back later you didn't get my question.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 1:31pm On May 31, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

It does because that's how Christianity became a religion. By gathering adherents and ensuring these adherents gathered in forums where they encouraged themselves in their new way of living. Being an atheist is a new way of living you know.

So, McDonalds, Nairaland, Harry Potter, Microsoft will all become religions? You are pointless.

Uyi Iredia:
It isn't. Study economics. I hope you know there were paid & unpaid slaves. Hope you also know that sons in the Roman empire were slaves to their Dads. In your example you both are slaves to your Dad. Just because it is now called working doesn't make it not slavery. In a possible scenery in the 22nd century that's precisely what it will be called given the rise of artificial intelligence (robots, internet etc).

Nonsense. I studied economics. My example is based on real life, it's good I left out some details to make you fail in your slave theory. Guess what? My dad also acts as an adviser to my brother's company. Now, how can my dad and brother be slaves to each other? Epic fail from you!

Uyi Iredia:
I am pointing out that you are becoming more of a religion. Can't you see that burial rites for atheists marks you guys out. Japanese aren't atheists. I also thought so until I studied it more closely. While they are definitely secular, the Shinto religiion is hugely embedded in their lifestyle. Islam is virtually nil and Christianity has been steadily growing there since the '90's. You can confirm this.

The burial rites or whatever are not canon law or binding or even taken seiously by majority of atheists- many of whom do not know who Dawkings is. Is there a christian that doesn know Jesus?

I expected better debate from you!
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by MrAnony1(m): 1:47pm On May 31, 2012
Interesting topic, I see Uyi is taking care of you for now. I'll just ask you this: Is atheism a philosophy?
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 1:57pm On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony: Interesting topic, I see Uyi is taking care of you for now. I'll just ask you this: Is atheism a philosophy?

No, atheism is not a philosophy and stop cheerleading for Uyi
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by MrAnony1(m): 2:18pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

No, atheism is not a philosophy and stop cheerleading for Uyi

Dude, I like the way Uyi reasons, besides it is not in your place to dictate to me whether I should "cheerlead" for him or not.

So if I understand you, atheism is not a religion, it is not a philosophy, it is not a method of reasoning, it is simply not believing in God.
It doesn't try to explain anything and doesn't give any guidelines for living.
I will have to ask "what makes atheism relevant to man?" "Why atheism?"
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 2:29pm On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Dude, I like the way Uyi reasons, besides it is not in your place to dictate to me whether I should "cheerlead" for him or not.

So if I understand you, atheism is not a religion, it is not a philosophy, it is not a method of reasoning, it is simply not believing in God.

Because we are born atheists and it make one see life more objectively compared to believing in fairlytales of religion.

Your god has as much proof as big foot. None

What is the need for religion, if the bible and koran can not give us moral principles and God doesnt exist?
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by MrAnony1(m): 3:12pm On May 31, 2012
Because we are born atheists and it make one see life more objectively compared to believing in fairlytales of religion.

We are not born atheists, at the time we are born we completely ignorant of everything (but if you want to equate atheism to ignorance, you are most welcome). No atheism doesn't make one see life more objectively (that's science) Atheism however causes a feeling of nothingness and purposelessness as it does not give answer for the reason of existence while at the same time excluding other answers no matter how plausible they sound. At least the so called "fairy tales" have been known to give people hope (atheism does not provide this) and help man aim for heights beyond his reach.

Your god has as much proof as big foot. None
What is the need for religion, if the bible and koran can not give us moral principles and God doesnt exist?

I can prove that God exists but you won't want to even entertain the thought that he might exist so it will be lost on you.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by Purist(m): 3:46pm On May 31, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

When did studying evolution become central to atheism? Also, Darwin is celebrated in a number of ways that has nothing to with atheism.

Uyi Iredia:

You have no idea what slavery is. Saying that slavery was a necessary process in mankind's journey towards technological development is frankly idiotic, sorry to say. Yes, slavery might have contributed to certain technological developments, no thanks to unfair and forced use of manpower. But to state that it was a necessary process is not only insulting to the memories of the slaves that had to endure terribly long spells of all manner of inhumane treatments, but also insulting to the sensibilities of their offspring and those that fought for slavery to be abolished. Also, I'm sure you don't need me to point out the apparent idiocy in equating employee status with slavery. And including de gustibus at the end of your sentence does not make it any less idiotic.

Uyi Iredia:

A Christian leader, Reverend King, once used to torture his church members, which some members agreed to and defended vigorously. By your reasoning, torture must be one of the cardinal aspects of Christianity.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by harakiri(m): 3:54pm On May 31, 2012
@Mr_Anony

Who cares. tongue

Rephrase that! It's simply not believing in deities and supernatural forces.

Exactly! Atheism is not about cooking up fables to pass from generation to generation in desperate attempts to explain unravelled mysteries (which is quite the norm of most religious sects and beliefs globally)

This sounds more like a question you and only you can unravel. Personally, i also wonder about the relevance of religion when there is more than enough evidence that it causes more harm than good. Nigeria is officially the most religious country in the world and yet, the morality of it's people is questionable in every country on earth. The country has over 150million adept Christians and Moslems and yet, you cannot see the positive impact of religion in their lives. The Christians go to church praying for the death of their perceived enemies while the Moslems are engaged in suicidal bombings.

So much for the "relevance" of religion to mankind.

Nonsense!!!
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by harakiri(m): 4:02pm On May 31, 2012
@Mr_Anony

We are not born atheists, at the time we are born we completely ignorant of everything (but if you want to equate atheism to ignorance, you are most welcome).

EXACTLY!!! And the only reason you are a Christian today is because you were brainwashed to be one from childhood.

No atheism doesn't make one see life more objectively (that's science)

WRONG!!! Atheism is about realism. You go about life and make decisions based on basic common sense and experience.

Atheism however causes a feeling of nothingness and purposelessness as it does not give answer for the reason of existence while at the same time excluding other answers no matter how plausible they sound.

How typical of the brainwashed zombie sheeple to give all sorts of delusional remarks of what they do not know about. You aren't an Atheist so where do you derive your reetarded theory that Atheism causes a "feeling of nothingness and purposelessness"? Can you see what religion does to people?

At least the so called "fairy tales" have been known to give people hope (atheism does not provide this) and help man aim for heights beyond his reach.

I have to admit, you just told the truth and that is very impressive for a "Christian". All religion does it give false hope to people who are too lazy to put their brains to work.

I can prove that God exists but you won't want to even entertain the thought that he might exist so it will be lost on you.

If you can prove your so called god exists, i will not only go back to Christianity but i will walk stark n.a.k.e.d on the streets of Lagos for the next 3 months!!!

Bloody liar!

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 4:05pm On May 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:

We are not born atheists, at the time we are born we completely ignorant of everything (but if you want to equate atheism to ignorance, you are most welcome). No atheism doesn't make one see life more objectively (that's science) Atheism however causes a feeling of nothingness and purposelessness as it does not give answer for the reason of existence while at the same time excluding other answers no matter how plausible they sound. At least the so called "fairy tales" have been known to give people hope (atheism does not provide this) and help man aim for heights beyond his reach.
1) You havent been an atheist and how do you know that atheism causes a feeling of nothingness. Is this faith without common sense?

2) Religion makes you less objective, atheism makes you focused more on earthly life knowing that you have only one life with no spiritual after.
Example of religion making you less objective-

-You believe that your religion is the true religion and will say that people dont know about your religion and that's why they are not christians. However, you know next to nothing about Egyptian paganism or Bahaism but you believe that they are false.

-As a christian, you would not likely enter a pub that has two horns, a tail and a star out of fear of Satan. I would enter the pub with no fear.

-As a christian, you believe that the bible gives morals but it is also an immoral book that supports genocide, homophobia, sexism and bigotry against atheism

3) Everyine has hope, christian or unbeliever.

4) There is nothing a christian has done that an atheist can not do

Mr_Anony:

You cant prove that God exists
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by Ptolomeus(m): 4:25pm On May 31, 2012
Hola querido amigo Logicoy.
Cómo estás?
The word religion comes from the Latin, "Religio onis."
It involves a cult and worship of the divinity.
Atheism does not fulfill this function.
Atheism is a theological position, as respectable as any other belief or agnosticism, but does not imply adoration or worship.
Definitely, atheism is a religion.
Vamo arriba la celeste!
Un fuerte abrazo!
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 4:33pm On May 31, 2012
Ptolomeus: Hola querido amigo Logicoy.
Cómo estás?
Atheism is a theological position, as respectable as any other belief or agnosticism, but does not imply adoration or worship.
Vamo arriba la celeste!
Un fuerte abrazo!

Gracias ptolomeus!
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by harakiri(m): 8:20pm On May 31, 2012
Ptolomeus: Hola querido amigo Logicoy.
Cómo estás?
Vamo arriba la celeste!
Un fuerte abrazo!

Can you clearly state what makes Atheism a religion? Furthermore, Atheism is NOT a belief. "Belief" in what? Spot the difference man. Don't get it twisted.

Nuff said!
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by Ptolomeus(m): 9:34pm On May 31, 2012
I apologize for the error in translation.
If you read my post carefully, you will understand that I argue that atheism is NOT a religion.
For a translation problem in the last sentence I write otherwise.
I hope are able to forgive the error.

Logicboy ...
Dear friend ... Saturday we play against Venezuela in the playoffs, here in Montevideo ... Hopefully win ...
I send you a big hug ... and I invite you to take one day kill me here in Montevideo hahahaha!
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 9:36pm On May 31, 2012
Ptolomeus: I apologize for the error in translation.
If you read my post carefully, you will understand that I argue that atheism is NOT a religion.
For a translation problem in the last sentence I write otherwise.
I hope are able to forgive the error.

Logicboy ...
Dear friend ... Saturday we play against Venezuela in the playoffs, here in Montevideo ... Hopefully win ...
I send you a big hug ... and I invite you to take one day kill me here in Montevideo hahahaha!

I will watch the match here in England!
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 8:06pm On Jun 03, 2012
logicboy:

So, McDonalds, Nairaland, Harry Potter, Microsoft will all become religions? You are pointless.

You are shifting the scope of my point as all atheists do when I point out the similarities in the growth of atheism and Christianity.

logicboy: Nonsense. I studied economics. My example is based on real life, it's good I left out some details to make you fail in your slave theory. Guess what? My dad also acts as an adviser to my brother's company. Now, how can my dad and brother be slaves to each other? Epic fail from you!

Why can't they be. Whether you realize it or not. You are a slave to money. You are a slave to an entrepreneur. Most people are. Read Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. He emphasizes this simple point.

logicboy: The burial rites or whatever are not canon law or binding or even taken seiously by majority of atheists- many of whom do not know who Dawkings is. Is there a christian that doesn know Jesus?

Same for Christians. Christians have different ways of going about their burials. Atheists are fast becoming known for what is called secular burials . . . and marriages.

logicboy: I expected better debate from you!
Who told you I'm done ?
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 8:09pm On Jun 03, 2012
harakiri:

Can you clearly state what makes Atheism a religion? Furthermore, Atheism is NOT a belief. "Belief" in what? Spot the difference man. Don't get it twisted.

Nuff said!

It is a belief that gods/God don't exist.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 8:18pm On Jun 03, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

You are shifting the scope of my point as all atheists do when I point out the similarities in the growth of atheism and Christianity.

No similarities. One is a religion, the other is disbelief

Uyi Iredia:
Why can't they be. Whether you realize it or not. You are a slave to money. You are a slave to an entrepreneur. Most people are. Read Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. He emphasizes this simple point.

Ode. You are now getting desperate. How can 2 people be slaves to each other?

Uyi Iredia:
Same for Christians. Christians have different ways of going about their burials. Atheists are fast becoming known for what is called secular burials . . . and marriages.

Lies. Japanese atheist bury their dead in the traditional Japanese way. The same way Nigerian christians/pagans will bury thier dead according to the tribe they come from. Yoruba burial is different from Urhobo burial. Burial is not always a religious thing.

Secular wedding is not religious. Atheism is not a religion
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 8:19pm On Jun 03, 2012
Purist:

When did studying evolution become central to atheism? Also, Darwin is celebrated in a number of ways that has nothing to with atheism.

Many & any atheist club/activity make a study of evolution their watchword. To say that evolution isn't central to atheism is to be a most uninformed atheist.

Purist: You have no idea what slavery is. Saying that slavery was a necessary process in mankind's journey towards technological development is frankly idiotic, sorry to say. Yes, slavery might have contributed to certain technological developments, no thanks to unfair and forced use of manpower. But to state that it was a necessary process is not only insulting to the memories of the slaves that had to endure terribly long spells of all manner of inhumane treatments, but also insulting to the sensibilities of their offspring and those that fought for slavery to be abolished. Also, I'm sure you don't need me to point out the apparent idiocy in equating employee status with slavery. And including de gustibus at the end of your sentence does not make it any less idiotic.

When I say it was a necessary process I mean that it was the only possible path to take given the times. Are you forgetting it is fellow Africans who sold their brothers to get the white men's goods ? Are you also forgetting this coincided with the Industrial Age and the increased demand for agricultural produce for newly-birthed factories ? Are you also forgetting that many of the comforts & laws you now enjoy was from the available leisure time which allowed people to apply their brains to witty inventions ?

Purist: A Christian leader, Reverend King, once used to torture his church members, which some members agreed to and defended vigorously. By your reasoning, torture must be one of the cardinal aspects of Christianity.

Your comment here has little or nothing to do with my statement.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 8:24pm On Jun 03, 2012
logicboy:

We aren't born atheists , we are born ignorant.

logicboy: Your god has as much proof as big foot. None

God is as real as your brain which you'll never see throughout your existence.

logicboy: What is the need for religion, if the bible and koran can not give us moral principles and God doesnt exist?

The Bible & The Koran contain eternal truths for all to drink from.
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 8:33pm On Jun 03, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

We aren't born atheists , we are born ignorant.

We are born atheists. Did you believe in God when you were a baby? Someone had to tell you about God

Uyi Iredia:
God is as real as your brain which you'll never see throughout your existence.

Heard of MRI scans? I have seen my brain. Dont be foolish.

Uyi Iredia:
The Bible & The Koran contain eternal truths for all to drink from.

Truths like we should kill witches and stone homosexuals?
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by UyiIredia(m): 8:37pm On Jun 03, 2012
logicboy:

No similarities. One is a religion, the other is disbelief

Both are philosophies. Both are beliefs. It's plain dishonesty to disacknowledge this.

logicboy: Ode. You are now getting desperate. How can 2 people be slaves to each other?

Because of the way capitalist & socialist economies are structured. If you read on economic systems of varied lands throughout history you'll note how slavery led to technological development which resulted in the modern economies we have today. BTW read that book I recommended, that is, if you haven't read it yet.

logicboy: Lies. Japanese atheist bury their dead in the traditional Japanese way. The same way Nigerian christians/pagans will bury thier dead according to the tribe they come from. Yoruba burial is different from Urhobo burial. Burial is not always a religious thing.

I'm talking about atheism in the Western world, particularly in the UK. You seem to be a relatively new atheist. IOW, you deconverted not so long ago, am I correct ? Atheism is an imported philosophy. Africans are known to be religious.

logicboy: Secular wedding is not religious. Atheism is not a religion
Re: Atheism Is Not A Religion! (the Hardcore Debate Version) Challenge To Uyi Iredia by logicboy: 8:39pm On Jun 03, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

When I say it was a necessary process I mean that it was the only possible path to take given the times. Are you forgetting it is fellow Africans who sold their brothers to get the white men's goods ?

You are an uncle tom for that statement. Would Africans have sold their brothers if the White men did not demand it? Do you think it is easy to sell your fellow brethren? There were Jewish collaborators during the holocaust. Do we blame Jews for the Holocaust?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lessons I've Learnt on The Religion Section This Year / I Dreamed And Saw Where Buhari Was Leading Prayers In Church. / Tithing Is Scripturally Relevant In The New Testament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.